test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Artifact equipment healthy suggestion

lenchikpenchiklenchikpenchik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello devs and NW community! Maybe this post will strike developers with ideas to make the game community and themselves happy; or with an idea that will bring more people in as well. I will just state my points of view. Guys, please reply constructively or do not reply at all, lets keep it clean.

It seems that when Neverwinter team introduced artifact equipment, they made PvP and PvE gear dependent. Artifact equipment is good on paper, but one has to integrate it correctly. Since MMORPGS like this are not only PvE dependent, in my opinion, PvP should have a sense of equality to it and neither play styles should be concentrated on gear for the most part. There're definitely some hard core or pro gamers that have skills to play PvP, for example right? Maybe some "undergeared" people have more skills then some "geared to the teeth" people, but first ones lose to second ones just because of lack of dps/protection-stats over all.

Also how much money can one spend to be competitive in the game especially if they decided to start playing in Mod 6 and didn't prepare/or don't have epic or legendary artifact equipment to feed to new lvl 70 ones? It's going to take months upon months/or until they quit. It's making it impossible for new players to progress and have love for NW as well, and it's a huge money loss. (Most people, buy things here and there. Rarely someone will dump a thousand of dollars into a game at once AND be done with purchases - so it's a dead end as well, can't depend on that rarity.) I've been playing for more than a year now, and I still buy zen time to time. I like the game, but why should I be playing and paying? Can you get me and others to actually want to do that, other then holding on to still remaining friends in the game/or for the sake of old times?

So what I suggest is: stop trying to make money from refine points, it makes no sense and makes your customers angry, unhappy and quit eventually. Even coalescent ward, WHY is it 1000 zen? It would bring much more money and people in with smarter marketing. Cheaper = more money = happy customers. Done. Everyone is happy. I can't suggest you exactly what to do, but please re-work marketing first, before anything else. Also don't NERF classes, but BALANCE them all together ;) You changed some classes, not to be named, nearly completely when you could have just fix a couple of things. Not to offend anyone, but why are games with balanced classes succeeding and making tons of money?

I ALSO think, that if devs concentrate on balancing PvP, then PvE will just come along.

What do you think about my ideas, community? ^^ Post some of your ideas guys, lets step up and actually tell/email Cryptic how we would like to see the game instead of crying and freaking them out for a change :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I wish there was still hope.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can really have a lot of fun in this game, and even in PvP, without having all that 7x orange artifact jazz.

...that's a must only for the epeen strokers.
  • ryfghbvryfghbv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    At high end, some players talk about foundry, but for me, it's senseless since you get nothing from them, it's like a fanfiction, is funny but the feeling of nothing with the original story, so the only thing left is PVP and it's unbalanced and unrewarding, 2 maps only... maybe devs don't want a bunch of veterans playing this game.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hello devs and NW community! Maybe this post will strike developers with ideas to make the game community and themselves happy; or with an idea that will bring more people in as well. I will just state my points of view. Guys, please reply constructively or do not reply at all, lets keep it clean.

It seems that when Neverwinter team introduced artifact equipment, they made PvP and PvE gear dependent. Artifact equipment is good on paper, but one has to integrate it correctly. Since MMORPGS like this are not only PvE dependent, in my opinion, PvP should have a sense of equality to it and neither play styles should be concentrated on gear for the most part. There're definitely some hard core or pro gamers that have skills to play PvP, for example right? Maybe some "undergeared" people have more skills then some "geared to the teeth" people, but first ones lose to second ones just because of lack of dps/protection-stats over all.

Also how much money can one spend to be competitive in the game especially if they decided to start playing in Mod 6 and didn't prepare/or don't have epic or legendary artifact equipment to feed to new lvl 70 ones? It's going to take months upon months/or until they quit. It's making it impossible for new players to progress and have love for NW as well, and it's a huge money loss. (Most people, buy things here and there. Rarely someone will dump a thousand of dollars into a game at once AND be done with purchases - so it's a dead end as well, can't depend on that rarity.) I've been playing for more than a year now, and I still buy zen time to time. I like the game, but why should I be playing and paying? Can you get me and others to actually want to do that, other then holding on to still remaining friends in the game/or for the sake of old times?

So what I suggest is: stop trying to make money from refine points, it makes no sense and makes your customers angry, unhappy and quit eventually. Even coalescent ward, WHY is it 1000 zen? It would bring much more money and people in with smarter marketing. Cheaper = more money = happy customers. Done. Everyone is happy. I can't suggest you exactly what to do, but please re-work marketing first, before anything else. Also don't NERF classes, but BALANCE them all together ;) You changed some classes, not to be named, nearly completely when you could have just fix a couple of things. Not to offend anyone, but why are games with balanced classes succeeding and making tons of money?

I ALSO think, that if devs concentrate on balancing PvP, then PvE will just come along.

What do you think about my ideas, community? ^^ Post some of your ideas guys, lets step up and actually tell/email Cryptic how we would like to see the game instead of crying and freaking them out for a change :)

Don't wanna take your credit away, but i have written exactly the same as you mate, many times!

Your ideas are fine, i too emphasis over and over on those words: "Cheaper = more money = happy customers".

And you are exactly right, that current marketing strategy should be reworked, i would personally add reworking RNG to this. For example 1 toon 1 glove.

I have even stated that turning everything into artifact like gear is scaring players more away, than holding onto them. Except of a few whales, by the time the average Joe gets his artifact gear, it is obsolete again.

And sadly i fear, that with each Mod the amount of artifact thingies will grow and with current RP drops i still don't see, how the majority will keep up with it.

I can't write the honest words of my guildies here ;), what they all have said, when i spoke with them, about losing out on AD with Mod 6. Haven't met anyone, who is happy about leadership nerf or Lord Neverember not handing out AD quests anymore.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What do you think about my ideas, community?

What do I think? I think this is designed entirely as a PVE game.
    And then PVP has been badly bolted on. Balanced PVP requires that all players stats are capped way below BIS levels so that most players can compete on a level playing field without spending a lifetime/fortune equipping themselves. But the bis PVP players would not be happy with that...

It's too late to fix PVP in this game.
  • blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    And then PVP has been badly bolted on. Balanced PVP requires that all players stats are capped way below BIS levels so that most players can compete on a level playing field without spending a lifetime/fortune equipping themselves. But the bis PVP players would not be happy with that...

i disagree. i think pvp is getting a lot closer to balanced. compared to most fps games that is. and i really like it. im starting to get more balanced games lately and im enjoying it. even though sometimes i get smashed i learn to enjoy it.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You know, that many players get bored, when they hit BIS gear and stop playing after a few more weeks? I have seen this dozend of times. They either create another toon or stop. Thats why it should not be possible to get BIS gear in a few weeks or for a few bucks.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
    edited April 2015
    ryfghbv wrote: »
    At high end, some players talk about foundry, but for me, it's senseless since you get nothing from them, [...]

For one, you do get RP from there.

For the other: It's been suggested more than once that the Foundry terminal award chest should contain something more useful, like e.g. a small amount of campaign currency (ideally of your choosing).

And, honestly, I don't think that the income from buying ZEN to buy AD to buy RP is that high. I rather think that the Devs want to made all that ArtiGear with the intention to

(a) give something to work for over an extended period of time
    (b) save themselves work that would be needed to pour out ever new gear sets in that four-month cycle new modules are to be released.
    (c) make it way more difficult for the alt-o-holics to have them all running with top notch gear, and thus create a benefit for the committed single-char players.
    (d) reward players who play much, which can be inferred from the ICDs on DH/FB-enchants.

I really think the devs were as well astonished and aghast as piqué by the people bouncing around in PvP with 7x orange gear one week or two after Mod 5 was launched. That again can be inferred from their prompt and strict reaction to the, erm, ungh, full-auto-power-"leveling" methods.

IMHO they thought they'd found a way where you could strive to fill your fav char's ArtiGear pieces slowly and continuously, one after the other over some prolonged time. And this, too, is IMHO a plausible reason why all that level cap upgrade stuff seems unready and rushed - it just might be just that, and initially intended for later release in autumn. And only the Paladin was really that much prepared to be launched right now.

But that, ofc, is only speculation and guessing, and wouldn't/doesn't help us even if it were right...
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    henry404 wrote: »

Correction: It's too late to fix this game.
    Classes are imbalanced by design and lack thereof. The economy has been run into the ground by the developers and host. And it's blatantly apparent that nothing happens unless it has a marketing plan behind it.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can really have a lot of fun in this game, and even in PvP, without having all that 7x orange artifact jazz.

...that's a must only for the epeen strokers.

You said it! "epeen strokers" - LOL!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For one, you do get RP from there.

For the other: It's been suggested more than once that the Foundry terminal award chest should contain something more useful, like e.g. a small amount of campaign currency (ideally of your choosing).

And, honestly, I don't think that the income from buying ZEN to buy AD to buy RP is that high. I rather think that the Devs want to made all that ArtiGear with the intention to

(b) save themselves work that would be needed to puor out ever new gear sets in that four-month cycle new modules are to be released.
    (c) make it way more difficult for the alt-o-holics to have them all running with top notch gear, and thus creat a benefit for the committed single-char players.
    (d) reward players who play much, which can be inferred from the ICDs on DH/FB-enchants.

I really think the devs were as well astonished and aghast as piqué by the people bouncing around in PvP with 7x orange gear one week or two after Mod 5 was launched. That again can be inferred from their prompt and strict reaction to the, erm, ungh, full-auto-power-"leveling" methods.

IMHO they thought they'd found a way where you could strive to fill your fav char's ArtiGear pieces slowly and continuously, one after the other over some prolonged time. And this, too, is IMHO a plausible reason why all that llevel cap upgrade stuff seems unreasy and rushed - it just might be just that, and initially intended for later release in autumn. And only the Paladin was really that much prepared to be launched right now.

But that, ofc, is only speculation and guessing, and wouldn't/doesn't help us even if it were right...

Wow - good insight. Nice read.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I rather think that the Devs want to made all that ArtiGear with the intention to

(b) save themselves work that would be needed to pour out ever new gear sets in that four-month cycle new modules are to be released.

Well, we know these aren't true. Replacing the existing artifact gear within a couple of months of introduction sets a very bad precedent in terms of "something to work for" over an extended period of time.
    edited April 2015
    chrcore wrote: »
    Well, we know these aren't true. Replacing the existing artifact gear within a couple of months of introduction sets a very bad precedent in terms of "something to work for" over an extended period of time.

Had you read my complete post, you'd have seen that that is IMHO a case of NWAI.

The rushed replacement with 2ndGen ArtiGear is the one part of their attempst to steer the crippled ship back on course. The other had been the quite thourough application of the banhammer to those people "accelerating their progress" by "using user-downtime times" for "fully automated farming".

Dont ask for details, because I plain don't know them. But what I know is what I observed: Quite some those people who had an orange rush within the first few days of Mod 5 went on an extended leave soon after, when the clamour about the foreclosure of certain foundry maps, and the nerfing of portal-spawned imps' drops went around.

Again, this is speculation, but facts and hypothesis align. Circumstantioal evidence, sure, not enough for a conviction, too. But more in line with what the dev team did deliver in the expansions before.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Had you read my complete post, you'd have seen that that is IMHO a case of NWAI.

The rushed replacement with 2ndGen ArtiGear is the one part of their attempst to steer the crippled ship back on course. The other had been the quite thourough application of the banhammer to those people "accelerating their progress" by "using user-downtime times" for "fully automated farming".

Dont ask for details, because I plain don't know them. But what I know is what I observed: Quite some those people who had an orange rush within the first few days of Mod 5 went on an extended leave soon after, when the clamour about the foreclosure of certain foundry maps, and the nerfing of portal-spawned imps' drops went around.

Again, this is speculation, but facts and hypothesis align. Circumstantioal evidence, sure, not enough for a conviction, too. But more in line with what the dev team did deliver in the expansions before.

Sadly that banhammer didn't work all to well and not with enough hardness. I still see many of those mass exploiters running around, can't write it down here, but they still manage to survive and ruin part of the economy. Remember the Rank 10s case on AH, how long was it up? Pfff.... Never saw that banhammer.

Yep, summoning portals were taken out of Foundry creator, but for long time not out of those exploiter's dream Foundries.

They did other Foundry maps, where they got the RP, not so easily, but still they could do it.

Back to the BiS question, i would personally separate PVP gear entirely from the PVE field. Most exploiters and boters made their BiS gear in days after module launch to dominate PVP even more and we all know, that there is the major part of mass exploiting going on, cause PVP is the part of the game, which is heavily dominated by ego.

Of course the company won't go with huge banhammer against those whales, cause that part of the gaming community is paying the biggest amounts too. They pay for 1 toon and exploit on the other ones.

Now if PVP could only be entered with a PVP specific weapon set and gear, which weapons could be artifact, than we all would get what we desire. The company it's money and we honest players, less exploiters. Of course for this to work, we would need brackets in PVP to separate the little fish from the whales.

PVP is the dominating factor, which motivates paying customers, who are lazy to grind stuff to buy and this part will always pay, rather than playing for many months to get the BiS gear.

In PVE gear should stop being all artifact, the train is now impossible to catch and this is actually very counter productive, many players turn to the dark side to catch up.

I would begin everything with a clean slate, like a new Mod. The amount of gear, that can be turned into artifact gear is enough now, more than enough. Let a part of the artifact gear set come out with every 2nd month or so. Bring back the reality of legit RP earning. Lazy players or wallet warriors will pay, this way the company could get a decent income, but the legit and little spending player also would have a chance. Of course items should last, not like now, that 2 or 3 month old gear becomes obsolete, this mentality brings out the exploiters again from their hideout.

PVE is not such a problematic thing as PVP, here we are team mates and it's less frustrating, if one does better, than the other, people are more concerned about their broken classes, than the damage charts.

PVP is the part of the game, where without brackets and with an exploitable leader board, the human nature's dark side comes out.

And there are other aspects, which could generate income for the company and keep the game more balanced and clean. Introduce for example those houses, with all kinds of stuff in it. Wallet warriors could build a castle of their own and brag about it, less wealthy players, like me, would sleep on the street lol, who cares, but introducing game breaking items into game is the wrong path.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke