test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Confirm or deny] "SoT boss is bugged, buffed by Party DC"

suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Temple
So, I read this on the forums:

"The SoT Boss Garakas hits harder when a DC is on the party, seems to profit from their buffs"

What's the truth? Does anybody know that or even analyze this with ACT, maybe?

...currently I get kicked fairly often when running SoT as DC, and notice more party wipes or near / partial wipes when not kicked, so heuristic evidence seems to support this...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bull, unless they broke something with preview changes. And as for your experience, are you a Righteous DC by any chance?
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't know if Garakas gets stronger with a cleric around, but I doubt this is true. As for the kicking, I have been kicked a few times, I think they are kicking because healing does not help much as there mostly one shot kills in that skirmish. Also they might also be kicking because they think the clerics don't provide much to the paingiver charts. Those that do this are ignorant that a cleric can win paingiver, and with High Prophet make Garakas so much faster.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    Bull, unless they broke something with preview changes. And as for your experience, are you a Righteous DC by any chance?

Yes, Righteous DO, High Prophet + PTerror, low HP so prone to dying, but this is an open door fight, so that shouldn't cause any problems apart from my short absence(s). Why?
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes, Righteous DO, High Prophet + PTerror, low HP so prone to dying, but this is an open door fight, so that shouldn't cause any problems apart from my short absence(s). Why?

Because, 50% of the entire player base does not have a clue that DCs are different and that a righteous doesnt have the free gimme gift of faith heal.

They dont understand why they just died while they stood in that red and why that DC didnt give them that freebie heal.

BTW is this esot or sot? if its sot, just effing get up and come back in, takes 3 seconds.

If its esot, people need to learn the encounter. Also you might have to back down on just pure debuffing and go hybrid and mix in some healing powers. I see so many people staying at the edge because they think they are safe, when in reality it causes many problems.

But your not going to keep people up like a faithful, just isnt happening.

I find esot easiest to do with my GWF, just because I can sprint burst to the side all the time, Ive finished esot lots of times with 1-2 people that took 15 mins with people screaming us to wipe, of course if they knew the encounter I wouldnt have to sit there for 15 mins at a time.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What i have noticed, not exactly in eSoT, but elsewhere, when i was running my temptation build Warlock, that if a DC was around, my encounters got messed up, so yes can be.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

edited March 2015
    What silverkelt said.

Garakas has been around for two mods now, even before the DC was "rebalanced", so I'm pretty sure we'd know if DC buffs were affecting him. In fact people using the old buff/debuff builds would be sure to notice if Garakas was doing more (or doing less) damage because of their powers. Before this I've never heard of anyone saying that their buffs were increasing Garakas' damage.

As already mentioned, it definitely doesn't help that Righteous lacks the ability to keep party members alive as well as other DC types in this fight. As far as I've seen even Virtuous' HoTs are powerful enough to heal someone through Garakas' DoT. If someone touches the ground fires or gets hit by Garakas' other, more powerful attacks, then as Righteous you're pretty much powerless do anything about it unless you're slotting plenty of mitigation/heals AND your party members are one of those rare tanky types.
    As a Righteous DC, and given the average PUG, your best bet is to combine some healing (like A.Seal. HW) with debuffs/damage (like DG, BtS) and check whether people are using the right damage/debuff encounters for this fight. The idea is you want him dead ASAP. Make sure TRs are using Wicked Reminder or that CWs are using Ray of Enfeeblement, etc. My own experience is that Righteous tends to perform very poorly in this fight if you end up in a PUG group where people do poor DPS. If that happens, better call a good GF.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
    edited March 2015
    Thanks all for your replies!
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Because, 50% of the entire player base does not have a clue that DCs are different and that a righteous doesnt have the free gimme gift of faith heal.

They dont understand why they just died while they stood in that red and why that DC didnt give them that freebie heal.

BTW is this esot or sot? if its sot, just effing get up and come back in, takes 3 seconds.[...]

Most often SoT during skirmish hour. As I wrote - open door fight. In eSoT I might have understood.

Also, this first aspect is the reason I've taken to wearing "Paingiver" as tag title, so the others _might_ get the idea I'm DPS/debuff specced.

Still, with all stuff added up, my target gets like 50% defense debuff, plus some damage debuff, and +10 defense, and +25-ish% damage buff for the party, so I _do_ heal them as long as they have _some_ lifesteal. When it's only the Astral Seal healing, then, meh, that's a bit less, but enough for them to get Cleansed and other buff stuff.

What i have noticed, not exactly in eSoT, but elsewhere, when i was running my temptation build Warlock, that if a DC was around, my encounters got messed up, so yes can be.

I do - on many chars - get lagspikes & rubberbanding (independent on graphis settings) when ACs give me Anointed Armor. I blamed that on my lo-speed ISP line, at least partially. And some of it, especially in GG PvP, might be an actual exploit, but my evidence is only circumstancial...

What silverkelt said.

Garakas has been around for two mods now, even before the DC was "rebalanced", so I'm pretty sure we'd know if DC buffs were affecting him. In fact people using the old buff/debuff builds would be sure to notice if Garakas was doing more (or doing less) damage because of their powers. Before this I've never heard of anyone saying that their buffs were increasing Garakas' damage.
    [...]

That's what I thought, too, so thanks for ascertaining.

As a Righteous DC, and given the average PUG, your best bet is to combine some healing (like A.Seal. HW) with debuffs/damage (like DG, BtS) and check whether people are using the right damage/debuff encounters for this fight. The idea is you want him dead ASAP. Make sure TRs are using Wicked Reminder or that CWs are using Ray of Enfeeblement, etc. My own experience is that Righteous tends to perform very poorly in this fight if you end up in a PUG group where people do poor DPS. If that happens, better call a good GF.

Oh, I got decent damage, and do heal a wee early on to show that some of this is there on tap (HW, AS), and as stated above, I really can accelerate his exit, but...

...maybe casting a meaningless HG or two early in the run might help acceptance. :^/
    edited March 2015
    Now that you mention it, you could probably blame the getting kicked part on that "Paingiver" title. It tends to send the wrong message (I'm more likely to think "this DC is more concerned about DPSing blindly" than "this is probably a debuff DC" if I see someone using that title). Perhaps others could comment.

If you (temporarily) switch to something like "Field Medic" of even "(deity)-an" or "of (place of origin)", I don't think it would matter if you just used your normal heal/debuff powers.
    edited March 2015
    Now that you mention it, you could probably blame the getting kicked part on that "Paingiver" title. It tends to send the wrong message (I'm more likely to think "this DC is more concerned about DPSing blindly" than "this is probably a debuff DC" if I see someone using that title). Perhaps others could comment.

If you (temporarily) switch to something like "Field Medic", I don't think it would matter if you just used your normal heal/debuff powers.

Good hint... ...though regarding spec and build, you read that right. Just I do heal and do weaken the tough targets alongside for good...

...well, buff is a wee tiny icon under your portrait, debuff is a wee little icon under the boss' healthbar at best, so nigh invisible, and everybody with ArPen 200 simply thinks it's their Crit or Power that makes stuff die so fast this time.

Wish there'd be a title like "Armorbeaker", "Dragonscale shredder", "Damage channeler", or "GF dismantler" or such for most buff/debuff effects caused (and points awarded in heroics for that, while we're at it)...

Heck, even Damage/kills ratio would be a point where I'd excel due to _really_ hurting them brutes and bosses. Meh. Back to "General" or "Orc Slayer", I suppose...

[edit:] Dang, now I feel tempted to use "Master of Monsters" :^[|]
  • odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would gather this comes from the old High Prophet bug, where your debuff affected allies as well. That got fixed ages ago, but you'll be surprised how many people will believe that till this game closes down.

At any rate.... my DPS DC Paingiver farms SoT and ESoT all the time, zero kicks.

Keep your Paingiver.

Stop using Healing Word.

Slot Sunburst, Divine Glow and Daunting Light, with Flamestrike as your principle Daily. You can slot AA or something else for the end boss, but really, if you are the top of the Paingiver chart when you round to the last campfire, they really need you to DPS.

Make absolutely sure that you are using divine encounters. It is ***stunning*** how often people running DCs aren't using them, ask what they are when you tell them.

I would guess from reading your posts that you're getting kicked for the lack of triangles on your team. When a DC isn't using it, or burning their 3 divine encounter rotation on it, people can really see that. They don't need to look for a little debuff icon anywhere, their whole character is geometrical.

Also, look at the strategy that you use for the whole of the run. You are going to want to focus first on the worst of the elite adds. When you load in to the encounter, for instance, that first group has one of the elite Archer adds. Flamestrike her right off. That will take the agro onto you. Switch to 3 Divine Glows, Empowered Divine glow, daunting light anything stationary, rebuild your divinity bars, repeat if anything is still alive.

Next is the Fire Golem. Astral Seal, BoB or BotS, 3 Divine Glows, Divine Glow, Sunburst (hitting enemies and allies builds very very very good AP), daunting light him in his attack animation (not walking or you will miss).

Next is the Knight and the Drakes. Focus down the Knight first, Flamestike him right off so that the melee can safely close. 3 Divine Glows, Divine Glow empowered, Daunting one or the tiny stationary drakes, and then go use Sunburst to push any of the others towards where the melee class is fighting. They should now be focused on the large drake, which you can't move with Sunburst anyway.

Next are 2 more Fire Golems. They will one-shot almost anyone who fails to dodge, so don't worry if you see some soul-forges. They come through the door pretty much together, so use regular Divine Glow right off. Pile on 3 Divine Glows and then use an Empowered Daunting Light when one of them goes into an attack animation. Use Sunburst and your at-wills to make sure that you have your Daily up and 3 bars for the next round.

Next is the Archer Elite, Knight and Drakes. Focus on the Archer, same as the first group. Flamestrike, 3 Divine DGlows, Daunting Light if you think you can finish her, or Empowered Divine Glow then Daunting. She should be dead. Help clean up the trash with at wills, when everything is dead you can use Sunburst to make sure people are healed and cleansed.

Next is another Fire Golem. Same as the others. Make sure you go into the Mini Boss encounter with your Daily up and full Divinity bars.

The Mini Boss encounter is always a larger version of the Archer-Knight-trash fight. Start off with Flamestrike to let the Melee class get into position, then debuff that large Elite down with 3 DGlows, Divine Glows, save Daunting Light for things that are stationary. You can use Sunburst if you have to rez, or on that Fire Giant if he spawns. Just don't push the trash around with it. Click it at the end to proc Cleanse.

Then are two more Archer-Knight-trash encounters. Focus on the Archers in the first encounter, with the Flamestrike rountine. But for the second one, you are going to want to go past the Knight and the Elite Drake and kill those tiny drakes first. People go down a lot because they don't pay attention to the poison DOT from them. Then focus the Knight, then the Drake.

Boss Fight. Try and make sure that you have Flamestrike up. Ride in and tag one of the two Elite Drakes with Astral Seal. That should make then leap to you, at the same spot. Dodge obviously, but then Flamestrike, 3 Divine Glows, Divine Glow and execute with Sunburst if need be. Usually once your party sees Flamestrike go off, they will go for the boss. If you are a DPS DC, you should be able to clear both without assistance. (I use a Perfect Vorpal.) Save Daunting Light for the boss. Then it's all focusing on getting your 3 casts of Divine Glow off , and hit with Daunting Light. Use Sunburst when it comes off cooldown, and keep the boss Astral Sealed, and that should be enough heal for good players. Save your normal Divine Glow for the Soulprocs of the TRs, GFs or GWFs. They should pot immediately, and your Divine Glow heal will be enough to fix them up. I just use Flamestrike when it comes up, because I do a truck load of damage. But feel free to use whatever else you choose. AA is a good choice as is Hallowed Ground if you have an Executioner TR. Be careful of using HG if you have no good tank. He can turn and one shot you while you are in the animation.

And that's it. ESoT is a bit harder than that, and I usually use AA on the last boss and during the Mini Boss Encounter, and for the 2 Fire Golems, but the timing and mechanics will be the same. But ESoT pretty much depends on having a good tank.

Good luck.
  • matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Confirmed that DCs buff boss. Was with 2 DCs in party and got hit for over 400k damage from garakas :)
    Dont know when or what broke it but its broken as hell.
  • odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You can't confirm it without some sort of evidence. Did you get this on ACT?

Thanks to some guildmates (Win or Loose We Booze) and some peeps from Lady Vega's 19k Channel for Tiamat, I parsed a run of normal SoT's boss fight. For the first third I didn't fight so none of my DC's debuffs were on. For the second third I did fight so my debuffs were on. In both of those segments I had people intentionally let Garakas damage and kill them. In the last third we fought normal, and one death to a one-shot.

(And the book dropped, yeah!!)

Garakasall_zpsocjmacpl.png

There was no difference in Garakas' damage between the minute I did not debuff him and the minute when I did fully debuff him: High Prophet, Divine Glow, Bear Your Sins. The only increase in damage which occurred happened in the last 31 seconds. Then he appeared to undergo some sort of enraged timer. His base damage increased in Dancing Flames went from about 14k to about 60k. Even if you mitigate that, it still insta-killed our CW with 41k in received damage. His AOE damage did not undergo any increase, just Dancing Flames and Fireball.

Garakas' Dancing Flames-that thing where he one shots you from an underhand:

dancingflames_zpsttr6ursn.png

Garakas however had been fully debuffed for a minute before this damage increase occurred, so it's not connected to the debuff-buffs of a Devoted Cleric. It only kicked in once he dropped into the last 1/3 or so of his life.

For the record, this is the log of Remedy's Divine Glow Casts.

DivineGlow_zpsgtrp1fqg.png

I suppose it's possible that matiagronx saw 40k damage (which would be normal) and missed a zero in there. But people need to parse things and share their findings before they "confirm" that something is or isn't bugged. It's the sort of thing that leads to very unfortunate rumors.
  • grabmooregrabmoore Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One thing, OP do you realise you empower the boss by killing the two add dragons?

That's the case for like forever. Don't kill the adds and you'll survive his flames. Kill the adds and get killed by him in one shot.

As a Righteous DO DC I can easily solo eSoT (at least in this mod). Just slot some defensive encounters like Astral Shield or even Bastion.
    @grabmoore

Heroes of Darkness

Retired since 02/15
    My opinions are my own. Please do not judge my friends nor guild for my statements.
    edited March 2015
    Lol nice analysis there, but i really saw 420k(120k) cause i was in both our DCs astral shields and i was like wtf killed me
    edited March 2015
    Multiple effects from same DC powers (from different sources) usually do not stack. Your observation is already faulty if you assume that those Astral Shields are stacking.

And you do realize that without context all you're saying is just numbers. At this point, this could be a genuine bug and for all we know it was something your own character did that was to blame. For all we know it's race or item-specific. There has been a precedent for such things.
    edited March 2015
    Fact is that Garakas done 400k hit, possibly buffed by someone in party. We had no GF so the possibility of such a huge buff shows the DC class as the most possible source. It could be smthing else of course, bugs are smthing this game is not lacking at all.
    edited March 2015
    Thaks to odd111out for the ACT data and analysis!
    grabmoore wrote: »
    One thing, OP do you realise you empower the boss by killing the two add dragons?

That's the case for like forever. Don't kill the adds and you'll survive his flames. Kill the adds and get killed by him in one shot.[...]

Well, I do know that in SoT the focus should be to kill the boss first. Didn't know that detail you mentioned yet, but, running debuff/DPS, I ofc focus on the most debuff-worthy target, which is the boss. Admittedly I flashed quite some dSB in run up to the boss, which I won't do in future runs, as these do kill stuff. And this might've induced, er, let's euphemise this, "sorrow" that I might kill his drakes with this. Now I got that missing puzzle piece...

Meh. So I'll have to slot some really healy stuff for SoT runs in the future. SB has also been my way to heal the party up from the frontline while debuffing multiple baddies at once. Nice two-in-one package... :^/

So I book this as "debunked, but..." :^)
    edited March 2015
    matiagronx wrote: »
    Fact is that Garakas done 400k hit, possibly buffed by someone in party. We had no GF so the possibility of such a huge buff shows the DC class as the most possible source. It could be smthing else of course, bugs are smthing this game is not lacking at all.

If I ever see that - or somebody else does - I'll screenshot it from the log in the chat window.

@matiagronx: You might or might not know that you can access the data comms between the game server and your client via the chat window: There's that [LOG] button in the window's title bar, where a long-ish history of combat damages is kept (which is also the data base for all those ACT parses when copied into a file). So, again, if things like that happen, switch to that log tab, scroll up until you find it (it's kept for a long while, IDK exactly, but might be back to your last zone change), and take a screenie.

...because that might come helpful to prove a bug to the devs, e.g., but also to document that it actually did happen.
    edited March 2015
    Ye i know, its the logs data i have looked and determined the damage. Look, a print screen doesnt prove anything, my word is enough and surely someone else will notice it if he parses with ACT every single esot. Truth is that Garakas hits for over 400k while he shouldnt, so he obviously gets buffed by a player. I m not paid to spot and correct these bugs, other people get paid from us to do that. This would be enough proof for the devs to look at it, though i am more than sure that they know it, as they know almost every bug in this game, but there is "No return to investment" for these bugs, dev's words not mine.
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited March 2015
    actually its a very unknown secret that garakas when his hand is raised absorbs the party's damage and throws it back at the party so yes the dc is buffing him but only because the dc is also buffing the party so it has little to do with the dc and more to do with the party's damage vs garakas so if the party hits him 400k while his hand is raised you will get back much of that damage.

thusly it is not the dc's fault but rather the party's and garakas.