test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are the devs unable to make the Scourge Warlock a viable class for PvP?

Comments

• Options
    ofnieslafofnieslaf Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yuccapalm wrote: »
    I dont get why ppl cry about SW. There is one on page 2 that means the class is good enough for PvP they outheal most of my dmg as TR I can barely kill them without daily. I guess most people are just too bad to play their sw with the right gear and build. The class doesnt really need buffs but other classes need some nerfs...

yeah sw is fine right now its not the worst class.

tr isnt even that great too, remove dailies from them and theyre not threatening. ask a tr to slot courage breaker or lurkers and 1v1 him, youll see the fight ius more balanced

regards
  • Options
    venjendorzvenjendorz Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I dont get why ppl cry about SW. There is one on page 2 that means the class is good enough for PvP they outheal most of my dmg as TR I can barely kill them without daily. I guess most people are just too bad to play their sw with the right gear and build. The class doesnt really need buffs but other classes need some nerfs...

It's because most people use Dreadtheft in PvP. You have to realize that most people are god-awful at PvP, and often just sit there spamming spells. Because SW doesn't have a "teleport", they don't even try to run away half the time, and don't make use of their shadow step. Almost every terrible SW I've seen uses Dreadtheft, Killing Flames, and either Harrowstorm or Infernal Spheres.

If SW wants to see some success, open with Harrowstorm, and then lead into Wraith's and Killing flames. Most players thinks Wraith's is bad... but in PvP, getting off the snare sometimes can be the difference between the rogue getting away, or you getting away.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    venjendorz wrote: »

If SW wants to see some success, open with Harrowstorm, and then lead into Wraith's and Killing flames. Most players thinks Wraith's is bad... but in PvP, getting off the snare sometimes can be the difference between the rogue getting away, or you getting away.

yes i agree, wraith shadow best sw pvp power, more sw should use it.

regards
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015

Its the other classes that need the nerfs, guaranteed.. But this issue is more about how they are going to completely ruin the SW in mod 6 by removing all of our survivability.

but you are soooo very right, the problem is alot of SW's really really really suck at playign SW, not using proper gear, not using proper abilities and overall throwing strategy out the window.

Unfortunately its much easier for a SOulbinder to get along in PvP (most of the time) than it is for a Hellbringer Fury spec. We cant heal ourselves very reliably in Mod 6.. When someone attacks me, I havbe to decide quickly if I can kill that person in 1 rotation, or if I will dot and run. SOulbinder has a better chance of holding its ground and fighting it out on the cap point, not smart to do that on a Hellbringer fury..

I never udnerstood why SW's cried until Mod 5 came out, before then I didnt even have too much issue against full BIS players
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015

...that probably only shows that your TR is way subpar. When dressed as SW I get OSKed by TRs often enough. Or permadazed by them, or permarooted by HRs. Way more than with every other class including these two, and that although I do have way more HPs on my SW.

ofnieslaf wrote: »
    yeah sw is fine right now its not the worst class.[...]

Yay, that'd be the poor GWF, prbly.

But while "look, there's folks that are even more miserable than you" might work in politics, and maybe wage bargaining, it's not actually helpful.

What would be helpful IMHO would be to e.g. up the deflect severity or the stamina meter cap - HR and TR both are more durable due to their quad dodges, stealth and mobility notwithstanding...
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    SW needs a unique approach to any enemy, EVERYTHING. Slot something wrong for a CW and you'll probably die if you don't fool them long enough. It's not like playing a TR where you can just slot one rotation and go enjoy yourself. I actually have to swap my powers in battle while being stunned/CC or just slammed to survive, yes I actually do. I don't think any other class needs to push themselves so hard as a SW could do, all they can easily sooooo easily abuse and counter SW, I don't even know what scenario to start with. Prolly Ferocious Reaction that simply oneshots you once you casted enough dot on your enemy GWF/GF would be a good start.
    And when a geared TR dies to a SW it's just like...go uninstal or rethink your approach to PvP since TR prolly isn't your class to play. Talking particularily about Exe/Sabo daily queens. Nerfed Scoundrel was a false call for sure, never had too much bull**** with them as with sabos and executioners. Oh and exes those got their multiprocs too with some enchantments btw....wondrous world of endless piercing damage.
    Don't take that in mind, it's too hard for you since you don't play one. Just keep playing what is OP atm like you did on your GWF and TR now. Takes so much skill to daze > stealth > roll dodge > bb if your target isn't dead yet.

Oh and that SW is me, so go get stuffed and leave PvP SWs alone, TR FOTM sheep.
  • Options
    zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Moot point since the Page 2 warlock Misery is an isolated case of a perfected endgame build, deep understanding of SW class, knowledge of pvp of all other class mechanics and of extreme actual talent and a little luck all coming together. An anomoly/outlier.

How about fact there are only 5 SW in the Top 500 (1% that is pathetic). And these high leaderboard SW are all running the same paragon (soulbinder) and similar endgame BiS builds with mostly minor variations. So SW gets funneled into a very narrow space of very few viable build options for high level competition.

Also telling is fact that there are extremely few to no SW in top pvp guilds like EoA and Absolute because they (genreally speaking) don't want them and the SW who are in these guilds usually are not often invited for premades. Another sad but apparently unclear point is that

SW is the worst class for PvP.
    Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    play another class is a bad option, i won´t play this game because i am not one of these players that feel any kind of fun playing a op class for one mod, feels cheap and sad, no satifaction, so if cryptic fails they will get the bill
    i come here to have fun in first line, not to get anoyed by a company

ya, after going back to my TR and HR (both geared and booned decently at level 60) from SW I am still utterly unsatisifed and have joined the ranks of people who no longer play NWO but check the forums regularly in the little hope that things change and they unscrew their players.
  • Options
    rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    zeusom wrote: »
    Moot point since the Page 2 warlock Misery is an isolated case of a perfected endgame build, deep understanding of SW class, knowledge of pvp of all other class mechanics and of extreme actual talent and a little luck all coming together. An anomoly/outlier.

How about fact there are only 5 SW in the Top 500 (1% that is pathetic). And these high leaderboard SW are all running the same paragon (soulbinder) and similar endgame BiS builds with mostly minor variations. So SW gets funneled into a very narrow space of very few viable build options for high level competition.

Also telling is fact that there are extremely few to no SW in top pvp guilds like EoA and Absolute because they (genreally speaking) don't want them and the SW who are in these guilds usually are not often invited for premades. Another sad but apparently unclear point is that

SW is the worst class for PvP.

I'm proud to be one of those SW's in the top 500! :3

Sad thing is that I feel like I've only just finally gotten to a place with my PvP gear and skill that I'm starting to feel at least a bit effective in PvP. Good enough that I feel like I can go toe-to-toe with TR's and feel like I've got a shot at winning (small shot but still).

And now mod 6 is just going to set me back with the Fury nerf. I was holding out some hope that Damnation could be an alternative but that idea's in the trash now. And the new CC encounter isn't going to help enough.

But I'm not giving up. I'm going to be making a Paladin but I've always wanted to dual-main between DPS and heal/support characters so I'll give Paladin a shot for the latter but SW will always be what I use for the former. I like it too much to give up on it.
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
  • Options
    yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Don't take that in mind, it's too hard for you since you don't play one. Just keep playing what is OP atm like you did on your GWF and TR now. Takes so much skill to daze > stealth > roll dodge > bb if your target isn't dead yet.

Oh and that SW is me, so go get stuffed and leave PvP SWs alone, TR FOTM sheep.

Funny how mad you are just like when you type **** when I kill you in PvP :D. Btw. I bet I have more PvP matches with my TR pre rework than you in total so lol @your lame ''TR FOTM sheep'' ''insult'' xD.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2015

so... a "self called " experienced TR says that he can´t deal with Warlock´s in PVP?
    Funny how mad you are just like when you type **** when I kill you in PvP . Btw. I bet I have more PvP matches with my TR pre rework than you in total so lol @your lame ''TR FOTM sheep'' ''insult'' xD.

hmm, what do i have to think about this confession?
    You are a special TR i think, probably one of these TR´s that troll around, claiming everythings fine with their class?
    In case of doing this huge ammount of matches, i really feal a bit sorry for you, so much time wasted but didn´t understand wich buttom to press
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rodrant64 wrote: »
    I'm proud to be one of those SW's in the top 500! :3

You should be proud. I respect any competitive warlock because I know intimately how difficult and frustrating it is. And also respect SW because the true whiners cryers and tagalong posers have all gone to play a TR or CW a while ago, therefore if you are an SW contender still remain then you must have both skill and an actual spine.

I am proud of my typical residency of page 30-35 (almost top 500) top SW of the Hellbringer paragon and refusal to be funneled and roll a Soulbinder for higher pages. Hellbringer, having no borrowed time regen, dies and dies a lot and had to accept it get over it and just keep coming back like tenacious pit bull. Even page 50 (top 1000) takes both skill and gear for SW now, more than it did a few months ago, because of all the TR crowding. The SW is so weak in pvp that comparing to other classes is mostly invalid.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    so... a "self called " experienced TR says that he can´t deal with Warlock´s in PVP?

hmm, what do i have to think about this confession?
    You are a special TR i think, probably one of these TR´s that troll around, claiming everythings fine with their class?
    In case of doing this huge ammount of matches, i really feal a bit sorry for you, so much time wasted but didn´t understand wich buttom to press

Please stop trolling. I never said I can't deal with a warlock and my first post in this thread stated that I think other classes (such as tr) need nerfs. So I dont get why you talk such incredible amounts of trash Oo
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ..they outheal most of my dmg as TR I can barely kill them without daily. I guess most people are just too bad to play their sw with the right gear and build..
    taken the essence of your post, your words right?
    blaming most warlock players to be too stupid playing their char, ok?
    you are nearly unable to kill them without daily-poor TR (your words not mine)
    I think you should delete that post to prevent others thinking the same as i do, would be better
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Funny how mad you are just like when you type **** when I kill you in PvP :D. Btw. I bet I have more PvP matches with my TR pre rework than you in total so lol @your lame ''TR FOTM sheep'' ''insult'' xD.
    Oh yeah, that "OP bull**** DoT thing you've been sending via /say" should I mention too. Also, I'd not be proud having more matches than somebody else, such a fail argument. Are you trying to start epeen comaprison here rogue? Just keep rolling what's easy, that style fits you well.
    Oh and if you're wondering, I've been permastealthing pre-overbuffs PvP for awhile too, even had a chance to blink on the first page once so don't even start on that TR thingy.
    I think you should delete that post to prevent others thinking the same as i do, would be better
    Stop replying that TR's posts, he is a typical "TR syndrom" case. I wouldn't be suprised if he came here just to intentionally troll warlocks.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

''being nearly unable to kill them without daily'' doesn't mean I can't deal with them because I have my daily permanently up.

@our beloved page 2 SW you are misinterpreting the core of my sentence. At th end you should stop trash talking me and be happy that I speak up for you class ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @our beloved page 2 SW you are misinterpreting the core of my sentence. At th end you should stop trash talking me and be happy that I speak up for you class ;)
    Definitely, don't feed it. TR thinks he can speak up for a class he does not even play. Next time I catch you sleeping on a node I'll bring you a pillow, so it won't be too harsh for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Definitely, don't feed it. TR thinks he can speak up for a class he does not even play. Next time I catch you sleeping on a node I'll bring you a pillow, so it won't be too harsh for you.

Amazes me how often I stroll up on to a TR standing on endnode and lets me prone them (which takes several seconds). Such an arsenal at the ready.. daze, stun, dodge, bloodbath, stealth.. press ANY key.

They must be busy checking their kills scoreboard ^^

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Amazes me how often I stroll up on to a TR standing on endnode and lets me prone them (which takes several seconds). Such an arsenal at the ready.. daze, stun, dodge, bloodbath, stealth.. press ANY key.

They must be busy checking their kills scoreboard ^^

Back in mod 4 I couldn't even do that as a CW. Plus you can dodge the second hit of harrowstorm rendering it useless.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I guess most people are just too bad to play their tr with the right gear and build
    (could be i read this sentence some days ago)
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Scourge Warlocks are in a pretty sad state Further more they keep buffing and buffing Control Wizards constantly, making them the primary control class AND primary ranged damage class. Its pretty absurd.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Scourge Warlocks are in a pretty sad state Further more they keep buffing and buffing Control Wizards constantly, making them the primary control class AND primary ranged damage class. Its pretty absurd.

Indeed. It almost feel like a modded version of a game and the guy who made the mod is a cw. He might as well make a post saying, "its my mod, if you don't like it, don't play it".
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Indeed. It almost feel like a modded version of a game and the guy who made the mod is a cw. He might as well make a post saying, "its my mod, if you don't like it, don't play it".
    AFAIK the guy responsible for class balance is a CW. Besdes all those books about Elminster and table top games <.<
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    AFAIK the guy responsible for class balance is a CW. Besdes all those books about Elminster and table top games <.<

well yeah

CW is actually the lord of this game, and ALWAYS has been since the very beta.

the hierarchy goes like this

1) CW = King/Emperor/Deity

2) TR = Empreror's righthand-man/puppet. The CW buffed the TR to be so overpowered to push the attention away from him so he can continue to be "Psuedo-Nerfed" and keep killing people with Storm Spell procs and dominate PVE as always.. The puppet can strangely kill him though, but not for very long though. Because the CW will nerf the TR soon using his godlike influence, once he's done using the TR, he will get rid of him and put him down there as a Slave (Like module 2,3,4,).

3) DC/HR = serve our lord and savior, and will soon be nerfed by him since they're starting to gain a bit too much power (HR rooting our Lord and DC's outhealing them sometimes)

4) GF = Average joe, rebelled against the King once (Chill stack nerf) but was put into useless by our Lord and Savior.

5) GWF/SF = Slaves,Peasants.

regards
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ofnieslaf wrote: »
    well yeah

CW is actually the lord of this game, and ALWAYS has been since the very beta.

the hierarchy goes like this

1) CW = King/Emperor/Deity

2) TR = Empreror's righthand-man/puppet. The CW buffed the TR to be so overpowered to push the attention away from him so he can continue to be "Psuedo-Nerfed" and keep killing people with Storm Spell procs and dominate PVE as always.. The puppet can strangely kill him though, but not for very long though. Because the CW will nerf the TR soon using his godlike influence, once he's done using the TR, he will get rid of him and put him down there as a Slave (Like module 2,3,4,).

3) DC/HR = serve our lord and savior, and will soon be nerfed by him since they're starting to gain a bit too much power (HR rooting our Lord and DC's outhealing them sometimes)

4) GF = Average joe, rebelled against the King once (Chill stack nerf) but was put into useless by our Lord and Savior.

5) GWF/SF = Slaves,Peasants.

regards
    Good thing somebody understands this as good as I do. The others started noting that just recently though.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It is funny that an mmo with big-league branding like DnD can be such an embarrassing fail at something as central as class balance. Then again Perfect World is really a third rate publisher and Cryptic does seem like the monetization engine for the last gasping breaths of dying brands (d&d, star trek). It's like the dying cows are shipped to cryptic to have the last drops of milk squeezed out of them before they go into total rigor mortis.

And we fans of these dying brands are shocked at their treatment, not fully cognizant of the process as a whole and how our faves are fading out. What a wake up call lol.

You don't see this kind of treatment of still thriving brands like Star Wars. It is an interesting cultural phenomenon that one can measure the vitality of a brand by which developers and publishers are putting out its mmo.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Very morbid thread, alas it does ring true
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It is funny that an mmo with big-league branding like DnD can be such an embarrassing fail at something as central as class balance.

Neverwinter has a lot good going for it, but class balance isn't one of those things :D Dota manages to balance over 100 classes (all played professionally) but for some reason this game cannot manage to balance 7.

And these are not hard problems - the solutions are obvious to any avid player. Makes me think also something like the said favoritism hierarchy stated above has actual truth in it.

• Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    While I can agree that class balance wouldn't be that difficult to achieve, DnD itself was never really well balanced either.

I mean in real dnd any wizard who isn't a complete clueless idiot would trump any melee (or group of melee) if he knew what he was doing.
    things as simple as creating a big *** wall of stone around a group of 5 menacing raging barbarians and sending flying archers to nail them down while they figure out how to break or climb the walls or more complex like using soul trap on the tarrasque and making your lich phylactery out of it - who wants to destroy it now? nobody.

Too bad NW is off the 4th version of DnD.. was never really fond of it..

PN, im totally not in defence of the wizards I think for MMOs classes should be balanced, after all, even in real DnD a wizard on himself can only do so much without minions to kill for him.

But as it stands in NW, wizards can both control and kill without problem, so I think it needs a tone down, especially with storm spell auto procs for example..
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Neverwinter has a lot good going for it, but class balance isn't one of those things :D Dota manages to balance over 100 classes (all played professionally) but for some reason this game cannot manage to balance 7.

And these are not hard problems - the solutions are obvious to any avid player. Makes me think also something like the said favoritism hierarchy stated above has actual truth in it.

Interestingly, wizard is historically op in D&D, from its inception. True class balance is too lofty a goal in my opinion, though parity between the classes is a minimum requirement for any competent game system.