test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I can't believe I just did that.

huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Foundry
Y'know those moments when you realize all the work you just did is now useless? And it's all your own fault? I just had one.

I duplicated my foundry before publishing it so that I could keep it's maps and characters for other foundaries, as I planned to use them again. But, after publishing, I later went in and redid an entire map from the base up as certain parts of the quest kept not working due to things on the map.

Fast forward about six months, and I've been absent for about three because my laptop was busted, and I finally get a chance to start playing and working on foundaries again. Only I completely forgot about the map discrepency between the published foundry and the one I'd saved for the characters and maps. So I go in, and start writing a new quest, creating new costumes, moving things on maps, filling in dialogues and objectives, and don't realize till I go to reuse a map (third location in) that it's the old version of it. Everything I just created is useless unless I want to try to duplicate the map bit by bit.

There went several hours work.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yep. If only we were able to copy individual maps from quest to quest there wouldn't be a problem.
    It might take a developer a whole day to implement and test something like that though. :(
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    Yep. If only we were able to copy individual maps from quest to quest there wouldn't be a problem.
    It might take a developer a whole day to implement and test something like that though. :(

Or import NPC costumes from quest to quest. Once I create a "new monster", one that should be in the basic list of D&D critters already (bugbear, for example), it would be nice to be able to use that same monster in other quests of mine.
    As long as I'm dreaming, I'd love to be able to send costumes to other authors or receive costumes from them, so that if someone sees a really creative costume in someone's foundry quest, they can ask if they can have a copy of it.
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe you can ask if they (devs or support) can duplicate your published quest. (So you have the original again, and can edit again that map)

Then duplicate the one you messed up and change name for the new quest you are doing.

Hope it helps.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    @ eldarth: Man, I would love to be able to copy maps from quest to quest. That was one of the limitations I was trying to circumvent by copying the quest to begin with.

@ imaginaerum1: The NPCs were the other reason I made the copy. I wanted to be able to use the same characters again. I like the idea of being able to send costumes to other foundry authors, though. Actually, being able to do maps between each other would be awesome too. Then two authors could collaborate easier on a foundry quest by sending costumes/maps back and forth.

@valcontar73: I'm pretty sure I can duplicate the published one. (Now I'm not sure and maybe I should check that real quick.) There's just no way to merge the two. So I've either got a few hours of recreating costumes and c&p work ahead or hours of attempting to duplicate a map. The question is, which is the lesser of the two evils?