test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to Dodge in PVP

pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
edited February 2015 in PvP Discussion
I know that dodge is of course the shift button, but I mean this more from a "what to look for" point of view. The reason I ask is because people kept trying to tell me that the GWF encounter Flourish can be "easily dodged" yet I have a very difficult time doing so on my CW. So, if I'm wrong and they're right, what do you look for, what screen settings do you use in order to help you look for what to dodge, and how successful are you?

Sometimes, perhaps out of luck, I can dodge the damage ability of Flourish, but then the stun gets me. and it's not reliable either.

And yes I have a Lvl 60 GWF and I know what the Flourish animation looks like.
Post edited by pointsman on

Comments

• Options
    jackedbrahjackedbrah Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    flourish is bugged.

if the hit connects at first. no matter what you do. you will recieve either the stun or the damage. or both.

it also does that to PB's in their stealth.

example: the GWF hits flourish just as the PB entered stealth, the PB will get it and stunned, therefore reavealed.
    Elitist dooshbag

Guardian Fighter main. I will never switch to Paladin even if we're a dying breed. GF for ever!

Main alts: Great Weapon Fighter, Control Wizard.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well I mean this not just about Flourish, but in general.
  • Options
    jackedbrahjackedbrah Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    learn to dodge then

stop playing pve and practice pvp
    Elitist dooshbag

Guardian Fighter main. I will never switch to Paladin even if we're a dying breed. GF for ever!

Main alts: Great Weapon Fighter, Control Wizard.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    People seem to get 'easy to dodge' and 'easy to anticipate' mixed up. I've also heard people say that about lashing blade. You can sure anticipate it, but they have the bonus of stealth so if you don't even notice they're near you, you'll be hard pressed to anticipate it coming and I'm not really sure it's something that can be dodged in that scenario. In general people may have patterns of when to use a skill to be able to predict these better and try to time your dodges better. This does go both ways though. If it's easy to anticipate your attack, don't attack in a predictable way so that the enemy wastes their dodge. Latency of course also plays a part and also seems to be slightly on the forgiving side to compensate.

Anticipation depends on predictability while saying something is easy to dodge usually refers to reacting to an action say moving out of a red area.
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Moves like flourish and lashing blade are easy to dodge (with some PvP experience). They both have a decent delay between the animation and the registered hit which is more than enough time to execute a dodge to avoid getting hit by it. Particularly with lashing blade, you can still dodge very late into the animation of it and avoid damage from it. Compare moves like those to a move like dazing strike. which is almost instantaneous and pretty impossible to doge simply by seeing the animation coming. I do believe when people refer to "easy to dodge" they simply mean the animation can be viewed and you can react to it by dodging before the actual damage comes unlike most moves which you do need to rely on anticipation.
  • Options
    svekoljsvekolj Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2015
    you can actually interrupt it as well, happened to me a lot of times, and yes It can be dodged and deflected, same as crescendo, I've seen some CWs take the first two hits of flourish and dodge before the stunning one though I assume they may have initiated dodge before the hit totally connected. It's hard to tell.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    jackedbrah wrote: »
    learn to dodge then

stop playing pve and practice pvp

Indeed. PVE will not prepare you for PVP
  • Options
    mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    The truth is nobody really knows how it exactly works, although there are some educated guesses running around which seem to make sense more often than not. What one needs to understand would probably be that there is a lot of confusion and chaos involved with this particular subject.

For one thing, it has a lot to do with just when the exact "hit" flag/calculation/judgement/whatever-the-devs-call-it happens, and seems vital that you need to understand this may happen independently from what the actual motion/animation seems to suggest. It also has a lot to do with mutual discrepancies in latency as well. Also, sometimes, certain effects/results are simply impossible to dodge. It just happens. Other times, people largely refer to certain powers/skills as being "undodgeable" due to its general difficulty of dodging it -- in which case it is not technically impossible to dodge certain powers, but still in many cases improbable.

Practically speaking, it would be safe to assume that any successful dodges are basically anticipated dodges. You go into the dodge motion before the opponent attacks -- in other words, lure the opponent into activating an attack while you're already in dodge motion. It would also be safe to assume that you would most probably be hit by something if the opponent activates the power first -- in which case even if the attack has visibly not landed yet, the system calculates it as a failed dodge, and thus you'd be hit.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I double tap my direction keys to dodge in combat, usually sideways. Flourish has a really slow animation where the GWF draws his weapon back and then attacks, and the range is short. Best thing to do as a CW is dodge early and often and maintain distance, because flourish does stun so you're probably going to catch an IBS after it.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Well I mean this not just about Flourish, but in general.

In general? This isn't PVE where you mash buttons. Each class has certain sets of commonly used skills that you just have to get familiar with. Play around with other classes. Do some 1v1 training. Get some experience. Join a good guild.