test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Crashes on Ingame loading screen.

yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
For some reason the game crashes while loading,after selecting my character. Before crashing it briefly hangs in the loading screen, while the music plays in a loop. After that Cryptics Crash report comes up and i select send.Please fix it. The game crashes even after selecting "Safe Mode" from launcher options.

Update: The crash issue appears only on preview. The game runs fine on Normal server. Also for some reason i managed to load the game normanly when i selected an old character i had transfered on preview a few months ago,but the game crashed while lowering the video settings. If i select a newly transfered character the game crashes anyway.
It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
Post edited by yperkeimenos on

Comments

• gamer7kgamer7k Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can not log in with my Paladin character even in safe mode. I sent a ticket to the game master and they sent me here.

Since this character is created in preview I do not have the option of importing another version of the character. Any Solutions to this problem. Would like to level to 70 with the this character.
  • aidek0aidek0 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've got the same thing as the OP, for a while now. I verified the game files, tried the "Safe Mode" solution, I imported a new character but all without succes.
    ~1 out of 5 tries I do get into the preview server for a minute or so, but without moving, looking at things, doing anything at all, I crash.
  • mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Similar problem, only I crash before the character page even loads. Only on the preview shard luckily, but given that I only just signed up for it yesterday and I'd really like to toy around with some DC specs it's annoying as hell
    Just pops a DirectX error and thank you very much indeed -_-

It crashed the first time I tried to play on the preview, then I managed to get in once last night but after that it's been only crash-crash-crash
    Been installing and uninstalling the launcher (original and via Arc), rebooted my computer but to no avail :(
    edited February 2015
    Just tried again, after the new patch. The "safe" login made me hang on the loading screen. I killed the process after waiting for a while. Without a safe login, I made it into the game, checked same new powers really quickly and then the game crashed again. Seems like nothing changed, at least for me.
    Also, I'm not using steam or arc to play NW.
  • hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I managed to get a stable log-in by setting the CPU Affinity to just one core...
    Game was a little slow, but no crashes.

I use an AMD FX-8350 (8-core) + R9 290 video

Edit: I can play with 2 cores (ie: Core 0 + Core 2) as well - and much faster! :cool:
  • yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hfleet wrote: »
    I managed to get a stable log-in by setting the CPU Affinity to just one core...
    Game was a little slow, but no crashes.

I use an AMD FX-8350 (8-core) + R9 290 video

Edit: I can play with 2 cores (ie: Core 0 + Core 2) as well - and much faster! :cool:

Well i run Win XP/SP3 on an Intel Quad Q8200 2,33Ghz with 4 Gigs of Ram, and have only a few rare crashes on live,(eventhough lately i'm experiencing unusual lag), however on preview i simply can't run the game for more than a few seconds without crashing. I've filed a report to technical support along with a small video,showing the problem.If Mod 6 hits live as is,well it's bye bye Neverwinter for me due to being unable to play.
    edited February 2015
    Well i run Win XP/SP3 on an Intel Quad Q8200 2,33Ghz with 4 Gigs of Ram, and have only a few rare crashes on live,(eventhough lately i'm experiencing unusual lag), however on preview i simply can't run the game for more than a few seconds without crashing. I've filed a report to technical support along with a small video,showing the problem.If Mod 6 hits live as is,well it's bye bye Neverwinter for me due to being unable to play.

I also run XP/SP3, but on an AMD 7750 dual core. Just tried running it on a single core as mentioned above, but so far 1 failed attempt. Will try more tomorrow, but I dont have big hopes that more tries will result in a different ending. As you said, if this hits live as is, its game over for me at least.
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes system detection gets a little messed up, you can cause it to re-detect by deleting
    Gamesprefs.Pref
    in:
    ...Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Playtest\localdata\
    maybe even the one in:
    ...Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\localdata\
    edited February 2015
    Okey, I tried a couple more things and I started with the Gamesprefs.pref removal/reset. First only the one on the playtest without any result and after that, the removal of both Gamesprefs.pref files. At first glance, both tries resulted in the same effect, a crash, which was not hopefull.
    I kept the default settings, to which it resetted after the 'reset' mentioned above. I wanted to try a character that wasnt coppied over from the live server. I found that I could not create a new char with the class paladin. It said "coming soon" instead of the added class "oathbound paladin". I restarted my client(non safe mode), which is the appearant 'fix' for this problem and created my char. I started playing and the first crash occured after finishing the lvl 3 quest for the arrows.
    Then I restarted my client in safe mode, with the default settings for my machine, on my newly made character to see if this had any effect. The next crash occured after receiving my rags, after the first time you meet Knox in PE.

I have the feeling I'm able to stay on the prev server several times longer, with this new char, then with my coppied main. However this could be also because of the reset of the gamesprefs file / default settings (which are higher then what I'm normally using, which is custom > everything on low or not active)
    edited February 2015
    @aidek0: I'm glad to hear that you made it a bit further in the Prev. Once you can get in, try changing your settings - on some AMD gpu/apu you cannot use Antialiasing and Screen-space ambient occlusion at the same time...

Note on Paladin class: I read elsewhere on the forums (what? read!? ^_^) that if you cannot create one, just exit the game completely and try again. Actually worked for me.
    edited February 2015
    aidek0 wrote: »
    I also run XP/SP3, but on an AMD 7750 dual core. Just tried running it on a single core as mentioned above, but so far 1 failed attempt. Will try more tomorrow, but I dont have big hopes that more tries will result in a different ending. As you said, if this hits live as is, its game over for me at least.

Well,i don't know how to run it on one core aside from turning off multicore processing from the options menu,ingame,which i already have done. No difference whatsoever,i still crash and not only that, my entire system hangs sometimes.It's obvious that the problem is with the game itself and not my system,if that wasn't the case then i wouldn't be able to run it on live either.This game is good but full of bugs/exploits/lag/latency and rubberbanding that really spoil the fun.
    edited February 2015
    Well,i don't know how to run it on one core aside from turning off multicore processing from the options menu,ingame,which i already have done. No difference whatsoever,i still crash and not only that, my entire system hangs sometimes.It's obvious that the problem is with the game itself and not my system,if that wasn't the case then i wouldn't be able to run it on live either.This game is good but full of bugs/exploits/lag/latency and rubberbanding that really spoil the fun.

To set the CPU Core Affinity (from Windows):
    -Run the Neverwinter Launcher (do not hit PLAY just yet)
    -Open Task Manager, go to the Processes Tab
    -Find the task "Neverwinter.exe" (or "Neverwinter.exe *32)
    -<Right-Click> and select 'Set Affinity...'
    -Use the check marks to pick/unpick cpus (ie: CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2...)
    -Click OK
    -Now you can press PLAY in the NW Launcher
    edited February 2015
    hfleet wrote: »
    To set the CPU Core Affinity (from Windows):
    -Run the Neverwinter Launcher (do not hit PLAY just yet)
    -Open Task Manager, go to the Processes Tab
    -Find the task "Neverwinter.exe" (or "Neverwinter.exe *32)
    -<Right-Click> and select 'Set Affinity...'
    -Use the check marks to pick/unpick cpus (ie: CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2...)
    -Click OK
    -Now you can press PLAY in the NW Launcher

Ok,i just tried it and the game still crashed. Like i said before, it's obviously a game problem and not a system one. If it was my system i wouldn't be able to run the game on live as well,however there i have no problem,other than the usual ones that plague this game, such as lag,latency,rubberbanding,and the occassional server not responding connection errors.
    edited February 2015
    What ever combination of settings/cores/safe mode on or off/verified or not, the result seems to be more or less the same. The longest I was able to stay on the prev server was, as mentioned in an earlier post, while being on my newly created paladin. It could be a fluke that I was able to actually be able to get into the game and level up my pally till lvl 5, or maybe it had something to do with the starters area?! Giving me the time(read:less errors) to proceed with the leveling than the normal map does.

Unless someone has a briljant idea, I think I'm gonna give up on trying. Maybe yperkeimenos is right and its a server side/game side problem and I'm sincerly hoping it doesnt hop on over to live when its 'ready'.
    edited February 2015
    From what i can tell other people have similar problems ,with the game crashing on preview. For example this guy here : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?853081-crash-cryptic-screen-gt-cryptic-error-oops and here : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?844721-Crashing-and-FPS-drop. As i've said earlier,it most certainly is a server/game problem and not a system one,because i wouldn't be able to play on live if it was my system.It seems that the game optimizations they are making for the Xbox are having an effect on PCs.I really hope this gets fixed before hitting live ,otherwise the devs will have to fix it post release, with all the complains and customer discomfort that will result to.However It wouldn't be the first time a new mod messes things up either,so no surprise there.
    edited March 2015
    Ok my friends,after contacting the Devs ,it seems that a fix will be coming soon,likely this friday.I'm quite happy about this and look forward to it. It's quite frustrating not being able to test the game on preview and even more so if the same was to happen on live as well. So for now,lets just wait and see how it goes.I'll be sure to post again, if the issue isn't fixed, any new data that come to my attention.
  • lasor2lasor2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ok my friends,after contacting the Devs ,it seems that a fix will be coming soon,likely this friday.

Hi All !

Indeed I got a >1GB patch yesterday (on top of the huge initial when first tried PreviewShard), but the behaviour is the same : crash while loading, before the char selection screen.
    A Direct 3D Error Device Removed pops (IIRC):mad:, like before patch.

Lauching on the main server works fine, without any difference.

i7 - 8GB mem - Windows 7

See you in game - Draggan :)
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Where shall i begin, let me see.

10+ year old and not for this kind of heavy usage optimized graphic engine, which has a forced DX11 layer on it, but not correctly implemented. Lack of Nvidia graphical cards support, lack of different sound card support and a very weak server, which can effect the texture loading time on your game.

With one word, bottlenecks all over.

An example, Tiamat, laggy as hell, cause the current server status quo and old engine can't handle the huge and intense graphics, combined with the many players in an instance.

Just to give a proof i went to the biological institute, which has super computers and even there as we tried out the game it had all sorts of issues.

Mod 6 should be more about introducing fixes now, which are already 2 years old and are still not rooted out.

If Cryptic doesn't invest at least a bit in better gear and better technical personal, problems will still exist and even get worse, since with every Mod content grows.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    same problem here, it totally crash on one of my laptop during protector enclave loading.
    instead it crashes/takes 30 minutes to load during the screen with logos of nw hasbro wizards of the coast on the high end laptop.

nvidia gfx860m last drivers installed.
    directx 11
    windows 8.1
    edited March 2015
    I just downloaded the latest patch and I could play for a little over an hour, before I logged off!! There was no crash for me, so I'm very happy with the latest patch. In the next couple days, if I find some time, I'll try it some more to see if it sticks. ^^
    edited March 2015
    After latest patch and playtesting for 2 hours,the game didn't crash once,whereas before i couldn't even go beyond the loading screen,and for that i have to say well done, to the Devs. It's certain now that it was ,indeed ,a game problem and not a system one. However rubberbanding/latency and "Server not Responding" issues have appeared on preview,as well as on live,that make the game almost unplayable at times,for me as well as other players. I've been going back and forth like a ping pong ball,most of the time, and have been killed ,because of this ,more times than i can count. I've done tracerts,posted my results,started bug threads and even sent a new message to the Devs informing them of this issue. We'll just have to wait and see,hoping that they can find the time to fix it. I know that they are working on a tight schedule,with Mod 6 coming and all,but this has to be addressed. If i were to give an advice to the Developers,that would be ,instead of new content, to dedicate an entire mod to solving the many bugs,exploits and other issues that plague this, otherwise, good game.However i realize that this isn't their call alone to make,but of the managers as well.
  • ddv22ddv22 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mifiisu wrote: »
    Similar problem, only I crash before the character page even loads. Only on the preview shard luckily, but given that I only just signed up for it yesterday and I'd really like to toy around with some DC specs it's annoying as hell
    Just pops a DirectX error and thank you very much indeed -_-

It crashed the first time I tried to play on the preview, then I managed to get in once last night but after that it's been only crash-crash-crash
    Been installing and uninstalling the launcher (original and via Arc), rebooted my computer but to no avail :(

I got the exactly same problem for a few weeks now, can't get on preview at all with any of my copied toons :( Tried arc and the "normal" launcher, safe mode, etc. but nothing works. I only hope I won't have the same problem when Module 6 goes live :(
  • losttraverserlosttraverser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    im still crashing also since the update if they dont fix this by launch i guess they will have made up my mind on finding a new game to play since it seems that i wont be able to play this one anymore then
    edited March 2015
    im still crashing also since the update if they dont fix this by launch i guess they will have made up my mind on finding a new game to play since it seems that i wont be able to play this one anymore then

You should post your system specifications and if possible record your desktop,with a video recording software, while playing in safe mode and sent the video at technical support,at least that's what i did. Also you can sent a private message directly to the Devs and describe your problem,along with your hardware and any other info you might deem useful,in the hopes that they can help you.I'm sure ,they would be glad to.
  • jaderissjaderiss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, same here guys. Game crashes constantly and I have a beast of a computer with everything updated...OS, drivers, I mean everything.

It's definitely a bug on Cryptic's end.
  • spiritwolfe77spiritwolfe77 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And they don't bother saying anything, even on this thread; My comp wont make it past the Neverwinter loading screen, crashes after 10 sec of loading. Now my daughters (which worked yesterday) isn't able to connect with the log in server. Really are people wanting to make money? or are they just wanting to watch this great game die???
  • lilevilielilevilie Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    iam so sick of this game since the update i was only able to play in safe mode and now i cant even do that. iam just going to delete the game and forget that i ever played it ...i have done everything i could reset my graphics card, rolled back the drivers,uninstalled and reinstalled the game....:mad:
  • ravek666ravek666 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have someting similar, I reinstal all the game and now can't pass the screen with all the logos of hasbro and neverwinter -___-, I mean, is nothing of mi PC, I was playing good until the elemental evil update.

Sin%20tiacutetulo_zpsy8viqx6n.jpg
  • rockgardwarfrockgardwarf Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Same here...
    from the last patch yesterday it gets stuck on the loading "neverwinter" screen...
    May be the can change the Neverwinter to neverloading in the mean time...