test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trying to decide on a class to main, could use some advice

codexiacodexia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
edited February 2015 in PvE Discussion
Trying to decide on a character to run as my main, really unsure of where to go with this game. I haven't really played this game since it came out and from everything I've read the changes have been fairly significant. I can give you as much info about what I'm looking for in a character, maybe people who have been playing the game can help narrow it down for me? I have the feeling I'm going to end up as a GF, GWF, or Cleric but who knows? I'm tempted to hold out and wait for Paladin to see how they play but that's a lot of time wasted not playing this game, I can always roll a Paladin when they come out.

To start with, the main thing I want is a solo character. PvP should have no bearing on what class I play. This doesn't mean I won't play PvP, just that it should not be a deciding factor. I have a tendency to play melee tank classes but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy ranged. I tend to avoid raiding at all costs. I have no idea how raiding in this game works though, maybe I'll enjoy it, who knows? The trinity that is present in basically every other MMO doesn't seem to be nearly as enforced in this game. That said, raiding should also not be a priority for class decision. Solo should basically be the biggest concern for this character.

As a point of reference, my favorite class to date in any MMO I've played has been a Blood Death Knight from World of Warcraft. Self healing, tank, melee, capable of soloing 99% of the game on their own. Even better, they are the best at soloing most old raid content for good transmog gear. Yes, I like being on my own most of the time if that's not obvious yet. I enjoy grouping when I want to do it, I just prefer that it be an option rather than a requirement.

1: The character needs to be sturdy. Ranged or melee, doesn't matter much here, but sturdy is the key. I do not want to feel like I'm made of paper. I tend to lean towards melee because most games have ranged classes being fairly squishy.
2: Hand in hand with 1, the class needs to be (mostly) potion independent. I don't like classes that drink more than an alcoholic.
3: I can't stand kiting. Once again another point towards melee characters but there are some games with ranged classes that don't depend on kiting, maybe this is one of them. That doesn't mean I'm not wiling to dodge the red zones, it just means I don't like acting out Benny Hill while I'm playing.
4: I despise stance dancing. I have no idea if any classes in this game have that as a requirement (HR potentially?) but yea, avoid like the plague. If I wanted to dance I would play DDR.

Not sure what else I can put here, that's about as specific as I can get as far as my own preferences for character type. Any advice is appreciated!

As a side question, how are professions in this game? Basically every other MMO I've ever played has professions end up as a huge sink of time and money with no real payout whatsoever. Particularly for a solo player, how do professions play out for this game?
Post edited by codexia on

Comments

• Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My suggestion would be Guardian Fighter, or Great Weapon Fighter, though the first has more mitigation to stay and fight (shield block).
    In combination with a healer companion you'll be able to avoid using potions, you can also pick up the healing artifact from the quest, which is reusable.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    pancakeattaxpancakeattax Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    If you plan to pvp at all , TR or GET REKT!
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    combat HR /10char
    but you seem even more dull ( not take it as an insult ) so probably the guy above me is right
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the ideas. Like I said, I tend to avoid PvP entirely so that isn't even a concern. Outside of dailies I plan to not do it at all unless I end up pleasantly surprised.

Not sure what you mean by dull in that context? Do you mean the GF is boring to play?
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    codexia wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas. Like I said, I tend to avoid PvP entirely so that isn't even a concern. Outside of dailies I plan to not do it at all unless I end up pleasantly surprised.

Not sure what you mean by dull in that context? Do you mean the GF is boring to play?

They aren't one of the OP PvP classes, hence boring to the "leet" PvP types.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    pingconcherepingconchere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The new Paladin class coming out soon sounds a lot like your style, but won't be released for a month or two. So, looking at your criteria:

1 - The GF and GWF are built to be pretty sturdy. That said, the TR can be surprisingly sturdy too, for they can stealth to avoid damage and kill things quickly enough that the enemy doesn't have a chance to attack much. Plus, Impossible to Catch for Master Infiltrators.

2 - Potion independency mainly depends on stats you purposefully stack as you level. A cleric does not usually need a potion of course, but if you make sure to stack more regen/lifesteal, you usually won't have to use potions until the later levels for any class. Grabbing the free healer companion at level 16 also helps. That being said, the GWF probably has the hardest time leveling until level 50 due to mediocre damage and lower sustain.

3 - No kiting? I haven't leveled a CW or HR in a while, but I remember kiting a bit as those two classes. The GF, though potentially kiting in dungeons, has a shield to block and stand their ground. The GWF might need to avoid and kite depending on the enemies. I can't remember how leveling my cleric was like, but with the new cleric changes, everything would be different. The TR would only need to kite if caught out.

4 - No stance changing? Don't go for HR.

Professions do take a lot of time to level up, but some of them do give some worthy benefits. Leadership is a good source of steady income, and Jewelery crafting has very good rings that can only be crafted.

It sounds like a GF would be a good choice. Keep in mind that GFs have low damage while leveling and are only as tanky as your wise use of shield is. That being said, it still sounds like a Paladin is your style, so definitely roll a Paladin when Mod 6 comes around.

As for those talking about PvP, if you don't plan on doing it too much, don't worry about your class. If you were planning on going more of a 50/50 of PvP and PvE, then I'd say TR. But, GF sounds good, and they aren't horrible in PvP if built right.
  • Options
    lpac98lpac98 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Trying to decide on a character to run as my main, really unsure of where to go with this game. I haven't really played this game since it came out and from everything I've read the changes have been fairly significant. I can give you as much info about what I'm looking for in a character, maybe people who have been playing the game can help narrow it down for me? I have the feeling I'm going to end up as a GF, GWF, or Cleric but who knows? I'm tempted to hold out and wait for Paladin to see how they play but that's a lot of time wasted not playing this game, I can always roll a Paladin when they come out.

To start with, the main thing I want is a solo character. PvP should have no bearing on what class I play. This doesn't mean I won't play PvP, just that it should not be a deciding factor. I have a tendency to play melee tank classes but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy ranged. I tend to avoid raiding at all costs. I have no idea how raiding in this game works though, maybe I'll enjoy it, who knows? The trinity that is present in basically every other MMO doesn't seem to be nearly as enforced in this game. That said, raiding should also not be a priority for class decision. Solo should basically be the biggest concern for this character.

As a point of reference, my favorite class to date in any MMO I've played has been a Blood Death Knight from World of Warcraft. Self healing, tank, melee, capable of soloing 99% of the game on their own. Even better, they are the best at soloing most old raid content for good transmog gear. Yes, I like being on my own most of the time if that's not obvious yet. I enjoy grouping when I want to do it, I just prefer that it be an option rather than a requirement.

1: The character needs to be sturdy. Ranged or melee, doesn't matter much here, but sturdy is the key. I do not want to feel like I'm made of paper. I tend to lean towards melee because most games have ranged classes being fairly squishy.
    2: Hand in hand with 1, the class needs to be (mostly) potion independent. I don't like classes that drink more than an alcoholic.
    3: I can't stand kiting. Once again another point towards melee characters but there are some games with ranged classes that don't depend on kiting, maybe this is one of them. That doesn't mean I'm not wiling to dodge the red zones, it just means I don't like acting out Benny Hill while I'm playing.
    4: I despise stance dancing. I have no idea if any classes in this game have that as a requirement (HR potentially?) but yea, avoid like the plague. If I wanted to dance I would play DDR.

Not sure what else I can put here, that's about as specific as I can get as far as my own preferences for character type. Any advice is appreciated!

As a side question, how are professions in this game? Basically every other MMO I've ever played has professions end up as a huge sink of time and money with no real payout whatsoever. Particularly for a solo player, how do professions play out for this game?

I am A pretty Casual Player so I don't Really know that much about Professions - or claim to know that much overall about the Game

But as someone who is a Bit of an Altaholic and have tired a few things out in this game I would say form my experience (and what you are asking for) - I would advise a Guardian Fighter.
    Depending on what you want (once you get some levels behind you I find the GF can Solo content comfortably) - If you want Extreme Sturdiness and some Group Utility I would go Protector Tree. If you Solo a Lot and want Sturdiness but With a bit of Damage and to Clear content that Bit Quicker - use the Conqueror Tree. You Could possibly use Sentinel Great Weapon Fighter as They are Pretty Sturdy and Do Decent damage, but you do need to move around a bit more (kiting) with them whereas with GF You can pretty much Block a lot of what is thrown at you with the Shield staying in roughly the same place (if you so choose) just keeping in mind the actual Shield Protection Zone so you will need to adjust your facing during fights (easy to do seeing as you can move and use a couple of attacks while Blocking).
    There is also Quite a wide Variety of Armour/weapon Enchants which you can use to fine tune the feel of your fighter.

I'm sure that there are probably quite a few Grizzled Veterans out there that would be able to advise you better - but this based on my own pretty casual experience and what you have asked.
  • Options
    ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why choose? Start one of each class and your main becomes the one you find yourself playing most because you are enjoying it..... it also allays for your tastes changing over time. It doesn't take long to reach 60 so get them all there and any you don't find yourself playing can sit and invoke/profession for AD unless and until you DO feel like trying them again :)

Edit to address the specific questions... Those criteria make me think of my GF...... slow to kill things because of lowish DPS but tough as nails without stance dancing and can mitigate well.... though that might change when the lifesteal nerf comes in, we shall have to see, but currently can outlast most foes at his level. only gets into trouble when jumped by four or more mobs at the same time in most places, including IWD (And he is under 14k GS currently)

As for professions, not a lot of hands on time needed, set up and then go do other stuff till the timer is ready.... if you do nothing else then EVERY toon should work Leadership to 20, steady supply of AD with minutes a day effort.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sounds like you might be bored a little with a GF - at least until it reaches level 60 - as the damage output is pretty low in early levels. The GF can't spring/dodge either, but you might like that concept based on your preference for no kiting.

HR is out because you don't like stance changes.

You definitely don't want SW - very squishy and I've not been real impressed with their lifesteal capability (and they usually have low deflect and defense as well).

Right now, the DC is kind of tank-like - good defense/armor class, very good damage output with the current Module, and can heal like a beast. Not sure if the tankiness will be retained as much in Mod 6.

If you are ok with a little kiting, the TR is pretty good. They are very good at solo PvE - high single target damage and can sling a few knives when needed. If you work on Deflect rating, they can end up having very high deflect (near 50% on my TR) and their deflect negates a whopping 75% of damage!

Bottom line for you: GWF, DC, TR, and maybe GF.

As someone else stated, you might just pick one to play with a bit and wait for Mod 6 release in early April (approx.) to really commit to a character.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for all the ideas. I'm likely going to end up with a GF for the time being it sounds like, or potentially a Cleric. I really do wish we had a concrete idea on the Paladin release, or at least a full rundown of skills. Having the specter of the Paladin floating over my head is driving me a little crazy :P
  • Options
    wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Except for leveling up at the very beginning, there will be little need to kite as any of the classes. For example, most control wizards I see at the 17k gear score and up range just run into mobs and destroy them with little concern for who or what is around them. That being said, if you completely ignore the paingiver chart and make sure you have good lifesteal, hp, and defense, with most of your highest stat being power...gwf sounds like a class you would really enjoy.

I leveled a gwf during mod 4, so definitely not during its heyday, and I found the class to be extremely fun and no pun intended unstoppable during leveling. It has continued to be fun to this day, however it is not a class that performs well on the charts of the game until you get very highly geared. So if that matters to you, you may as well pick gf for a melee character that is a bit more useful to a party though arguably less fun to play than a gwf in terms of a damage dealing character. Also, I find dailies on a gwf to be extremely fun as well, whereas many people say gf dailies aren't quite as fun.
  • Options
    candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I'll keep the K.I.S.S mode for this anwser, if u want solo play with ability to do all content, be king of pvp and master pve dps, go for Trickester Rogue, with then u can solo dungeon, kill anything on pvp and also it's very fast. If u want immortality, get a cleric, if u want a challenge, get a GF/SW.
  • Options
    vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taking into account all the considerations - GWF.
    GF is sturdier and DC heals better but they both shine in a group. You can build them for end game solo but leveling wont be an enjoyable experience, and at a group you won't bring the support good GFs and DCs bring. As a GWF you'll be expected to dps and an occasional tanking which you'll do good.
  • Options
    pingconcherepingconchere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I really do wish we had a concrete idea on the Paladin release, or at least a full rundown of skills.

I found this: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?836151-Oathbound-Paladin-skill-descuss-speculation-thread&p=10003901&viewfull=1#post10003901

This is not completely set in stone, but it'll give you an idea of what the Paladin will do.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the link. It certainly looks interesting, no real info at all on solo powers though. Just group stuff, lots and lots of group stuff. Aura's look useful though.

I think at this point I'm looking at either Cleric or GF. I watched some video's for the TR since so many said I should consider it and I really don't think I like the look of them, not really my style of gameplay. GF looks my style without question, Cleric is a maybe? They seem like they can just blow up continents and then laugh as they heal whatever damage they took.

I just hope I'm building the poor character properly. I had a thread in the barracks asking about GF solo builds, no idea how accurate the build I'm currently using is. Only to level 25 so far but the inability to respec without paying diamonds feels painful. I spend more time micro analyzing skill point choice than I do playing the character.

Did a quick run up to level 8 on a couple characters. Really dislike rogue, doubt that's going to change. GWF wasn't so bad, felt like a faster GF for the most part. Whirlwind is blood hilarious. Didn't like Warlock too much, Cleric was kinda fun, Control Wizard was...weird? I dunno. Ice laser was cool (no pun intended) but I didn't like much else.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    One last nudge to hopefully get some more ideas, then off to work. Thanks for all the ideas so far, you've helped me narrow things down considerably. One thing for sure, I am a huge fan of AoE so far, shame I dislike the control wizards early powers so much.
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would TR if I were you. Very very sturdy in pve due to stealth. Your very first encounter power is an aoe daze that hits very hard- dazing strike. It takes a little skill to land it just right for maximum aoe, but once you have that down, it will be the go-to power for quite awhile in taking out mobs from stealth.

I think GF for soloing is not so great due to the ultra low dps compared to other classes. I think sw is also a good choice as it does amazing dps but it is squishy.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i think you would be ok with a dps dc
  • Options
    omgnicktakenomgnicktaken Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For soloing instances that are designed for groups, TR would be the best bet. Note however that epic dungeons have no door you can enter, so you NEED 5 people to que. In other words you need 4 other players that que into dungeon with you, and then log to another character or go afk. That, or you need to multibox 5 accounts, just to get in. As for the freeworld non-instanced areas, as well as the campaign single player dungeons, any class can do them fine. Potions are not much of an issue anyway, since there's hardly any other use for gold (AD is the trade currency). Mod 6 life steal changes may mix things up a bit though, well have to wait and see how things play out in that regard.
  • Options
    ichimaruginxichimaruginx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I ran a Cleric as my main. Healing before mod 5 and ever since then I switched to DPS bc of the revamp. I also have a wizard (CW) too and she certainly do more dmg (or going to when she reach the level of my cleric) but i prefer my cleric due to the tankiness. My cw get dunked by a bunch of mobs pretty fast while my cleric can take a few hits (as long as it's not the major boss's attacks). Clerics have decent AOE abilities, you just need to get use to landing them. Plus even if you go for healing tree, you will still have decent dps output along with nice healing. The tankiness might change a bit in the new module but i haven't tested it out on preview yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Here's a question that might make things easier for me: Which classes have AoE in their at will slots? I know that GWF and GF do, at least as far as early leveling, but do any classes get them later on? I've gotten my GF up to 25 now and it seems like most of the time all I really need to do is hold down LMB and things die (which is kind of nice since my left hand is a little messed up). Do any other classes get AoE later on for at will?

Speaking of GF, is IV better for solo than Swordmaster? I have a post on barracks that seems to have mostly died out, figured I could at least ask that here. Swordmaster Strike is apparently better than Cleave but the rest is apparently better for IV?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's a question that might make things easier for me: Which classes have AoE in their at will slots? I know that GWF and GF do, at least as far as early leveling, but do any classes get them later on? I've gotten my GF up to 25 now and it seems like most of the time all I really need to do is hold down LMB and things die (which is kind of nice since my left hand is a little messed up). Do any other classes get AoE later on for at will?

Speaking of GF, is IV better for solo than Swordmaster? I have a post on barracks that seems to have mostly died out, figured I could at least ask that here. Swordmaster Strike is apparently better than Cleave but the rest is apparently better for IV?

The CW gets an AoE at-will as part of their paragon path - the master of flame has a particularly good one, IMO.

HRs get a cone at-will early on - be careful with that one, though, as it can draw some crazy aggro if you're not careful.

As for your question about GFs - I like the IV, even for solo - you get an at-will that lets you quickly close in on a target, while simultaneously marking them and 2 other nearby enemies - both are very handy for a GF.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    how did this reach 3 pages lol..... you only need 2 words for OP's question.
    TRICKSTER.ROGUE.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Don't overlook the Scourge Warlock!
    They have the most variation in builds of any Class so far, including a fair Lifesteal Off-Tank with a lot of H.P. and Survivability. The least Squishy Ranged Class by far in PvE (excepting the most Bleeding Edge H.R.'s, but unless you plan to spend 18 months and/or a couple of hundred bucks, don't worry about that).

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    vexus99vexus99 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Firstly, I hope you have found the right class for you. If not, here are a few things to consider :

Mod 6 will have a huge change in how classes perform. Lifesteal will not be reliable and regen will not be available in combat. So, soloing will be harder. Also, gearflation will be knocked waaaaaaay back down. So, no GF with Regen, no GWF or TR with uber - survivable lifesteal.

IMHO, a purely PvE solo class would be a GWF. Unstoppable and high HP makes it very survivable and great AoE's make it a great solo class. Lifesteal still works, and the high deflection, high HP let you survive until you get a good lifesteal or Unstoppable is ready.

The problem with the GF is that it totally depends on its daily Fighters Recovery to survive while putting out very low damage. I have played a Conqueror GF since beta and our damage has gone steadily down. This is definitely NOT the class for a solo PvE person.

The TR is very often OP in PvP, and currently is once again OP in PvP, and it is always a good PvE choice ... but it is so OP so often that getting a spot in a group is always tough. As a solo player though, you should be fine. But, it does require a lot of input and it plays a lot like a stance changing character ... so if you dislike that playstyle then maybe TR isn't for you.

DC is a great option but it has a very narrow and specific playstyle. Personally, I don't think soloing as a DC is that much fun, but it can be quite effective. Where the DC shines is in groups.You can switch between damage and healing effectively and it is a much more enjoyable dynamic IMHO.

But for your parameters, I would highly recommend the GWF. It's fun, tanky, puts out good AoE dps and scales well.

Good luck on your choice and definitely check out the Paladin either on the test server next week or when it goes live in Mod 6.
  • Options
    loddo16loddo16 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I suggest a dc.

Because as healer you never need any potions. You are tanky, loved in every group, even in pvp and you can solo anything without any probs. Only thing to concern is the dps. Its takes longer to kill bosses, but at group dps you are fast enough. Especially that you can pull dozens of trashmobs. Its takes up to 10 trashmobs to take me me down when i do nothing. And even that can take minutes due to your fantastic passive heals.

And when you get bored of healing: the dps tree is "the friggin beat the s.hit out of your head" funpart. And even as dps dc you rarly need any potions.
  • Options
    kazearimorikazearimori Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why are people suggesting DC to him when he clearly said he despise stance dancing?
    Divinity and Empowered switches is the core to make it perform...

As someone suggested above, play a bit of each toon and then decide.
    From DC standpoint, the flashy dps dc days will be over when mod6 dawns.
    The linear stat curve changes also serves to kill any builds other than a bubble healer.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for all the replies, I've done some experimenting, this is what I've found so far.

GF: Easily my favorite of all the classes, at least in play style. I like having a block rather than a dodge. Honestly the block is almost the entire reason I like the class. Yes, damage is pretty bad, can't avoid that. With healer pet though survival is pretty easy. No real danger of death, sometimes I wonder if enemies will be bored to death before I kill them though.

DC: Not too bad, not entirely sure I like their tab mechanic though. I wish I could just leave the laser on all the time, I like the laser. Lots of nice AoE though, fairly tanky for a caster, but enemies really don't like standing still for your big AoE's. Chains helps of course, but...dunno. Not sure how I feel about this character yet.

GWF: I wasn't having fun, at all. Not sure why though, it plays a lot like the GF. Something just felt off? Not sure what. It felt fairly tanky, had some good AoE. Maybe because I hate their early powers? The RMB power that charges up is awful and the spin that slows enemies for your first encounter power does barely any damage at all. Their LMB also feels weaker than Cleave to me, which seems weird since they should be more DPS focused? Maybe I'm wrong on that one. Is the cone narrower? It really felt narrower. I'm sure they pick up in later levels but GF blows GWF out of the water for me, at least in early play.

TR: I tried, I really did. Everybody says play the TR, I tried the TR. I loved melting things in seconds. Part of the reason I dislike them is the dodge mechanic, I prefer to just stand there with a shield and laugh. Amazing damage though, their stealth is kind of fun to play with. Maybe I'll give this class another try at some point? It was fun, it just felt really squishy. Maybe I wasn't high enough to get anywhere good, I only got to 11. I have to keep re-rolling my character since I only have 1 slot right now since my other two are filled. (If you're curious, they're filled with an old level 28 release day character and my current GF. I don't even play the 28 anymore but she's got level 11 leadership so I don't want to erase her right now).

CW/SW: Tried them both, basically felt the same about them both. Squishy and not so much fun. I love how their powers look, especially the ice laser you get early on with wizard, but neither of them felt all that special to me. Don't get me wrong, things melted, but I'm not sure ranged squishy DPS is really for me. I tend to play either tank or support in games, DPS has never really been for me. Speaking of support, where are my Bards Neverwinter? Give me Bards!

Anyway, those are the ones I got around to trying so far. Still kind of preferring GF. Only problem I keep having with GF is that apparently we just aren't needed...for anything. I just hit 26 and went to the dragons and I get vote kicked constantly so I can't even manage to get the supplies to make my dragon bone toys. Apparently people hate GFs. I flat out had somebody today ask me why I was even bothering to roll the class. Makes me a sad GF. I really want to see how Paladin turns out, I was surprised they weren't in the game from day 1 but better late than never. The whole blocking mechanic is really nice to me.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Snip

TRICKSTER ROGUE

My main might be a CW and I might love them to bits, but I started playing ages ago and so I managed to gear up a lot before the game became less f2p. These days, I would STRONGLY suggest TR for the following reasons:

TR has the ABSOLUTE highest survivability, without question. Spec MI perma, get the entry level gs/ilvl (mod 6) then run door to door laughing maniacally at the adds that stand around like morons and don't attack you. If they can't see you, they can't attack you and therefor you have the highest survivability, its that simple.

TR is the cheapest class to play, you literally need only the entry level GS to solo the dungeon, with the few exceptions being dps races like tiamat+ToS or dungeons with mechanics that directly counter stealth, like valindra's hands. As it is such a cheap class to play relative to the other classes, a f2p player will have little trouble grinding the AD they need to build it properly, making it a desirable choice.

TR is, as far as I am aware also strong in PVP, meaning that if you ever decide to go that route, it is something that is available.

People might suggest other classes, but from a purely pragmatic PVE F2P perspective there is no class in a better position then TR and even though I enjoy CW much more in terms of gameplay, there is no class stronger then TR. You might argue that..."CW manages adds better," or, "SW deals more damage," or, "dc/tank can help carry the party," but the fact of the matter is, none of those classes, without significantly overgearing for a dungeon will be able to carry a group through a dungeon on their own without that group being at least semi competent to begin with. A TR on the other hand, when specced correctly can not only clear the entire dungeon for a group of poor players, he can do it while drinking a cup of coffee, smoking a cigar, standing at the end of a long corridor in CN, with all the adds in the dungeon standing right next to him, wondering where on earth he is. TR is the only class that I will straight up call invincible in PVE so long as you play it properly and although most people do not spec perma for PVE, they really should, as there is nothing stronger then it and speccing in any other way is not because its optimal, its because they don't understand the true potential of perma tr.