test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best way to upgrade companions?

azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm looking to upgrade one of my green companions to blue, and figured I'd ask for some advice from you knowledgeable forum folks before doing so.

What do you all think is the best way to go about upgrading a companion? Am I better off paying the 500k AD, or would investing that AD into treasure keys and hoping for the companion upgrade packs (which have the tokens) be a more cost effective way to get my upgrade?

I haven't opened lockboxes in a long time now, so I have no idea how common those companion helper kits are.
Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Artificer.jpg
Post edited by azahron on

Comments

• ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've opened some 50 companion fortification packs and over 100 companion reinforcement packs, and never seen tokens drop. I'd suggest just paying the AD cost.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    A better question to ask, is why upgrade at all?

If you are upgrading simply to have better pets, its often cheaper to simply purchase a better quality pet from the start.

If you are upgrading for the active stats or powers, you might consider other options first. Enchants are fairly cheap now, and they can be passed around, pets cant.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've opened some 50 companion fortification packs and over 100 companion reinforcement packs, and never seen tokens drop. I'd suggest just paying the AD cost.

Ah, for some reason I thought they were a guaranteed drop from the packs. Now I see that it's only a chance to get them.
    Thanks! I'll upgrade with AD then, since everything RNG related absolutely hates my guts! (hence me steering clear of the lockboxes)
    Artificer.jpg
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    A better question to ask, is why upgrade at all?

If you are upgrading simply to have better pets, its often cheaper to simply purchase a better quality pet from the start.

If you are upgrading for the active stats or powers, you might consider other options first. Enchants are fairly cheap now, and they can be passed around, pets cant.

Mostly for fun to be honest. :)
    Upgrading my trusty sidekick and all that!
    Artificer.jpg
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can always grind out the quests in Sharandar Dread Ring IWD etc. Just make sure you summon the pwt before you turn in the quest. Or buy companion exp packs off AH.
    edited January 2015
    niadan wrote: »
    You can always grind out the quests in Sharandar Dread Ring IWD etc. Just make sure you summon the pwt before you turn in the quest. Or buy companion exp packs off AH.

I sell all my comp xp tomes. Getting XP's definitely not an issue. xD
    Just the upgrading.
    Artificer.jpg
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    azahron wrote: »
    I sell all my comp xp tomes. Getting XP's definitely not an issue. xD
    Just the upgrading.

My bad...early morning eyes not focusing on what you were really asking...lol. yes spend the AD.
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    azahron wrote: »
    investing that AD into treasure keys and hoping

With Treasure keys, you can break even if you're not after something specific. In your case, abandon any hope, do not buy keys.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs