test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In the spirit of the elemental powers...

niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
edited January 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
With mod6 being tied to elemental powers, what new dynamics would you like to see or predict?

As an example, I would like an underwater area with swiming dynamic or maybe even water specific mounts?
Post edited by niadan on

Comments

• Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I love water in real life.. but water dynamics in games never work. No one wants to swim and its not really cool or fun. Just look at Aquaman. No matter how hard Geoff Johns tries to make Aquaman cool, it just isnt.

I think we will see elemental powers though since that is being brought into the Princes of the Apocalypse supplement and Temple of Elemental Evil board game.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    All other DD games I ever played had some elemental damage/elemental resistance. This one doesn't. You can still kill ice golems trowing ice balls on them ... And there are no fireballs in this game anyway :)
  • Options
    odnnauqodnnauq Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    walking slowwwwwwwwly due to water resistance?...uh I thought we bought mounts because we want to avoid that. Don't give them ideas.
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Uhm, for mod6, probably recycled mobs from Mt. Hotenow and reworked for the new areas i.e Air elementals using the skin of the Fire Archon or Earth Elemental using the skin of the Magma Brute without the "magma". So don't expect much, unfortunately.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    odnnauqodnnauq Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mmm1001 wrote: »
    All other DD games I ever played had some elemental damage/elemental resistance. This one doesn't. You can still kill ice golems trowing ice balls on them ... And there are no fireballs in this game anyway :)

And web and sleep. Bread and butter spells for DnD spellcaster. But I guess TR's smoke-bomb is like web or HR roots. Tho managing all the spells in this kind of environment - non-turn-base - will be a nightmare.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    More elemental base weapon/armor enchants:

Earth armor enchant will be the new barkshield.
    Wind with a repel chance on each strike would be great for range toons either on armor or weapon.

A Djinn companion

New mounts:

Ice shard to ride a la Iceman
    Lightning Shard for the metal fans
    Fire Shard Flaming boots
    Wind Shard, cloud riding.
    Earth Shard, Horizontal Avalanche.

Also a Wind Artifact power that lets you dispell lingering AoE effects like dragon breath and smoke bomb or Icy terrain.
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only thing less cool than swimming in a game like this is trying to swim and fight at the same time. So, no swimming please.

The point about elemental damage and resistance is valid but would require a substantial re-think of the paragon and feats thing. We don't really have a way to switch damage types without respeccing. It's not something I particularly miss tbh.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ohh yeah... elemental based enchants. GODs please, no!

IT never works for players who dont spend $, in this game we have 5 basic elements (fire, eath, wind, storm and water [if i recall correctly] + pseudo-elements + abbys) So u will need 10 enchant more, 5 for weap, 5 for armor, and changing them, "put fire in weap if ur enemy has wind in armor, put water in armor if enemy has fire in weap" Do u rly want this? If no, go away, and never come here with idea like this.

I remember how painfull it was in Shaiya Online. U needed 8 enchants in total, 4 armors with diffrent elements, and 4 weaps (well min was 2 enchants of each, then u had either change only once or u had neutral) Ppl with only 1 element enchant in armor, or none were basicly meat.

I dont want to hear about elements in weaps, if it wont be somthing like those gems in tiamat, somthing u can farm easly and temporary enchants weap/armor with them. Do u think PWE would solve this that way?

L.O.L.

Anyway, Selune please, no!

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited January 2015

Ooh that's an excellent idea. I've also always found it odd that I can kill ice creatures with ice or hurt dragons who spew fire with my fire abilities. I remember one of the first dragons I completely slotted in ice powers to combat then realized I was being stupid because it didn't matter. I wish elemental powers did matter, or at least gave you a bonus. It'd be pretty funny to hit a dragon with a fireball only to see that ability heal the dragon instead of hurting it. That would also be a great idea for armor, do the whole paper, rock, scissors thing where opposing elements have advantages and disadvantages to different elements, etc.

How about flying mounts? We all know how well that worked in wow, now everyone could escape everyone 24/7 lol. Okay, no flying mounts.

What would I really like to see besides elemental powers is player housing and not just for guilds either. Maybe create a few maps where you can buy a house or land and decorate them. I mean it would make a killing in the Zen shop. I'd be buying patio furniture if they offered it :D

Also I'd love like for them to put some type of tournament, mini game, mode, etc for turn based combat like the old Temple of Elemental Evil game for pc. The combat in that game was some of the best turned based combat ever. It's a shame the game didn't have <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for role playing in it though.

And I want a big red revenge button to pop up on the screen if you get killed by the same person X amount of times. Like say ten times in a row or something. Just a big evil Revenge button that does random bad things to people :D Okay, that one is a bit silly but it'd still be fun.

I'd also LOVE to see a zone where we players can control different mobs or monsters and fight against other players. Imagine having a group of powries (not sure if I spelled that right) all working together and being controlled by players :D

Okay, my ideas are a bit out there but it's all I have for now.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The augment cube dynamic could unlock certain elemental powers or resistances on new gear. Not saying that I advocate this. My main purpose in this thread is to foster ideas of different dynamics / environments that could support the new focus.
  • Options
    onionbroonionbro Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Honestly, I'd like to see new areas featuring the different Elemental Planes. I mean hell, there are whole cities and civilizations in the different Planes. Yes the mobs are almost always just elemental versions of prime material plane's mobs, even according to the literature, but that's fine with me. I just like content :)
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Swimming would be AWESOME! I hate it that we don't have it, it's relaxing :) In some games I love taking off my clothes and just go swim underwater and watch the scenery.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    shyntershynter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ooh that's an excellent idea. I've also always found it odd that I can kill ice creatures with ice or hurt dragons who spew fire with my fire abilities. I remember one of the first dragons I completely slotted in ice powers to combat then realized I was being stupid because it didn't matter. I wish elemental powers did matter, or at least gave you a bonus. It'd be pretty funny to hit a dragon with a fireball only to see that ability heal the dragon instead of hurting it. That would also be a great idea for armor, do the whole paper, rock, scissors thing where opposing elements have advantages and disadvantages to different elements, etc.

Well, technically people are made of the same base components, but if someone punches you in the nose it still hurts ;)

Ice vs Ice is easy. They're both solid. One hits the other and they start to break. Fire, you can put out a fire with an explosion (aka fireball), water... simply diluting the elemental and until it dies. Air is similar to dispersing a cloud. Lightning... there's so many ways to mess up one electrical signal with another >_>

On the non-fluff side? It is never, ever fun to walk into an instance and see nothing but 'Immune' all the time. Speaking from experience, this is one of those times you want to just sit back and let mechanics beat out story.

And sadly I have to agree with the water naysayers. I love the thought of doing underwater/swimming things but in every game I've tried from TMNT on NES to Cataclysm in WoW it never quite worked out. Well, I suppose echo the dolphin was ok. Ish.

Sure there is, warlock's have it. It's just tainted by their lame hellstuff. (Seriously cryptic, gimme a fey pact reskin in the zen market or something.)