test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Opressor Build?

oeildujambonoeildujambon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Library
Hi,
i play with a CW Opressor/Spellstorm since the beginning and i find very few info on this build.
At first i choose this option cause i enjoy PVP and PVE and that it seem to be a good build for both.

But now i'm looking for advice and the only thing that i could read is "nobody play Opressor"....
Is anybody know a bit on Opressor?
Campagne: La Pupille de Savorellis - Ep1 - Une visite de courtoisie (NW-DT4MNSB5Z)
Post edited by oeildujambon on

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The problem with oppressor is that the control bonus this path gives you can be more or less given to a CW simply by taking the cantankerous mage and wil o wisp companion. In comparison, the team buffs of ren and the burst damage of thaum cannot be made up quite so easily.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I played MoF Oppressor for a while at the start of Mod 4 after all of the reworks to CWs. It was fun, and it was kinda neat to see mobs perma-stunned, but I eventually switched to MoF Thaum because most of the control bonuses available to Oppressors are also available to all CWs via the use of companions such as Cantankerous Mage and Will o Wisp. That being said, I didn't really optimize my build at all, so I am sure that an Oppressor build *could* be viable in the hands of the right player. I would imagine you would want a high WIS score and relatively high Recovery, you would probably want to use the Archmage set and use encounters like Entangling Force and Icy Terrain to yield maximum control, and you'll probably want to choose Orb of Imposition (feated) as one of your class features so that you alone can permanently lock down adds.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The problem is...control vs damage.

Do you want the mobs controlled for twice as long? Or do you want them to die twice as fast?

I love the idea of the Oppressor tree, but unfortunately in almost every case, it's better to just kill things faster with a Renegade or Thaumaturge than to CC them with the Oppressor. All the extra CC potential of the Oppressor is a bit wasted given the current content.

And the fact that most boss mobs are immune to any sort of CC really hurts the Oppressor when it comes to boss fights. And since it's boss fights, not trash clearing, that's generally the issue, the Oppressor tree still lags behind the other two.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Good day:

One of my guild mates is MoF/Oppressor. His feats are set up per http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,13n0ii3:150z0v:1u0000:1u0000&h=0&p=mof (feat tab), and he typically out damages every other CW in the group whether they are SS/Thaum, MoF/Renegade, etc.

So I don't quite get it when people write that oppressor doesn't do a lot of damage

Thank you.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Outdamaging another CW isn't the same as doing a lot of damage.

I've been in runs where I've literally done 10x as much damage as another CW.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    opresor builds derp. pls respec to rene so we dont have to carry u
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    :rolleyes:

Hey now, play what's fun. But we're just sharing some of the reasons why you don't see a lot of interest or builds being put out that are based around the Oppressor. Regardless of tree, a CW is still a force to be reckoned with in any group.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just 1 of many design issues. GWF utterly dependent on feats, the CW is dependent on class features.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would recommend these feats for a PVE Oppressor Build:

http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,13n1i23:1550zv:150000:100000&h=0&p=ssm

For a PvE spell rotation I would recommend Steal Time, Conduit of Ice (tabbed), Icy Terrain, and Storm Spell. At-will's should be Chilling Cloud and Ray of Frost. For Daily's use Oppressive Force or Ice Knife (single target). For your passives slot Chilling Presence and Orb of Imposition. If you feel like everything is dying really fast and you don't need the extra control then you can swap out Orb of Imposition for Storm Spell (or Eye of the Storm if you prefer).

If you want to up the control to ludicrous levels then get yourself a Cantankerous Mage and a Will-O'-the-Wisp as companions. You could also slot Shard of the Endless Avalanche instead of Sudden Storm (or conduit of Ice). You can pretty easily solo most HE's with that set-up. You just time your encounters so enemies freeze, then use Steal Time to stun them, then blow them up with Shard. By the time they stand up they'll be frozen again. Wild Hunt Rider and a Erinyes of Belial are the best damage companions.

I'm not an expert on PvP, but you may want to put no points in Malevolent Surge and instead put them in Severe Reaction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    freefire88freefire88 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is no good oppressor build because strange mechanik of the game.
    Feats allow use two icy terrains, but first just disapear. So you have nothing from this feat, may be action points.
    And "Shatter Strike", it works only when you put last chill stack. Other wizards have the same things: tabbed CoI, icy terrain... What chance that you will apply last stack?
    At these moment oppressor have no damage and random control when there is another CW in party.
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    For a PvE spell rotation I would recommend Steal Time, Conduit of Ice (tabbed), Icy Terrain, and Storm Spell.

Errr... it looks like the rotation of just any CW since EotS was nerfed.
    My oppressor CW has EF tabbed, Icy rays, chill strike, enfeeblement.
    Needless to say, he can't kill much and dies quickly.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't understand why you would try to build an Oppressor for damage. You WILL underperform.

How to build an oppressor:

Step 1:
    Get Archmage Set
    Step 2:
    Get any gear that gives you HP + Def
    Step 3:
    Tabbed Chill Strike or entagling force, Sudden Storm (feated for chill stacks), Steal Time and Icy Terrain.

Win through attrition.
  • Options
    freefire88freefire88 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    umcjdking wrote: »
    Tabbed Chill Strike or entagling force, Sudden Storm (feated for chill stacks), Steal Time and Icy Terrain.
    Or tabbed Repel. Just for fun.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    umcjdking wrote: »
    How to build an oppressor:

Get any gear that gives you HP + Def

Sure?
    If you're an oppressor CW and can keep one opponent more or less perma cc-ed, isn't your goal to kill it as fast as possible before another foe (or other red guy in pvp) comes and join in the fight, rather than surviving with your HP and DEF the (unlikely to happen) attacks of the cc-ed foe?
    English is not my first language.