test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not a Fan of the "Gateway"

myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
After seeing people post about using the Gateway for Professions tasks and not remembering my prior experiences very well, I gave it a try again yesterday evening.

All I can say is "Yuck!"

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but collecting and starting new professions tasks takes me a LOT longer in the Gateway. What seems to drain the time the most is that when you click to start a new profession task then attempt to start another of the SAME task, you end up having to scroll back to the spot you were at as it seems to reset the tasks each time.

It seems to me like the Gateway was made more for tablets/iPhones than PCs.

Any thoughts on this?
SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i cant do professions anymore on the gateway in any browser. i tried all advised fixes and nothing helped. all i can do is login, go to professions, see if they finished, click the things to get the xp. thats it. if i try to start a new crafting session the entire gateway hangs, and even if i close internet and return it still is hanging. i am forced to do it all in-game.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    -use backspace for fast professions,

-yeah sometimes i get the gateway freeze, but a reconnect does the trick for me.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »

-yeah sometimes i get the gateway freeze, but a reconnect does the trick for me.

That's a nice tip. I also get it refreezing where I refresh the page in an attempt to get it working again, yet it's still faster than ingame.

I search for "e" in the search box so that protect diamond shipment and destroy enemy camp are on the first page in reverse order with sometimes spellplague barrels too depending on the rares up. Also patrol enemy mines is on the 2nd page.

Of course in game has its own issues such as having to wait for professions to finish, selecting destroy enemy camp form the bottom will scroll the page up a little so that you have to scroll down a little to pick it again, potentially beinged logged out instead of going to the character select screen. Also you have to wait for the game to load each time of course.
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I use the gateway alot for professions.

And yes I have found that the layout is not very conducive for PC browsers, but I did manage to find a happy middle ground that allows me to set new profession tasks without scrolling up and down.

As for the delay, that too I have noticed. But then again, I have also found a delay ingame with collecting rewards from professions.

Just my 2 copper pieces... :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Of course in game has its own issues such as having to wait for professions to finish, selecting destroy enemy camp form the bottom will scroll the page up a little so that you have to scroll down a little to pick it again, potentially beinged logged out instead of going to the character select screen. Also you have to wait for the game to load each time of course.

Yes, but the bottom line for me, a PC player, is that working professions in-game is MUCH faster than using the Gateway. I won't use that ever again. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    kacsaneverkacsanever Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Freezing: it happens to me, too. Try using CTRL+F5 (it is a forced refresh instead of simple refresh). If it does not help, try to logout, CTRL+F5 at login and log in. It usually helps for me.
    To do the same task (i.e. destroy enemy camp): write in the filter: "des" and only this one will be on the page. The browser "remembers" the filter for each profession separately. It is better than the ingame filter which remembers the filter all around the professions.
    Gateaway is better for professions than the ingame option I think.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What I hate most is having to check my e-mail to get the "one time" code every so often.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Good thing it's still "in beta" (since 2013) -- add bug reports and suggestions! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Yes, but the bottom line for me, a PC player, is that working professions in-game is MUCH faster than using the Gateway. I won't use that ever again. :)

Well like I say, for me it's faster. With the game client I need to wait for the game to load, deal with scrolling issues, go from the top to see the rares to the bottom (whereas my most important tasks are on the 1st page otherwise), and deal with the profession wait which they decided only to do in game as a ridiculous way to "combat bots". Whether you prefer to use the client is really up to you, and the gateway could definitely use tweaks, as does the in game client. But there are ways of making it work.

When I was on holiday, I was like **** it since it was too much work, though the connection wasn't great either.

One bug that seems to happen on both is that you select a task and click start, and it doesn't recognise and you have to do it again. If you need to select 4 toons that's kind of a pain...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    kacsanever wrote: »
    To do the same task (i.e. destroy enemy camp): write in the filter: "des" and only this one will be on the page. The browser "remembers" the filter for each profession separately. It is better than the ingame filter which remembers the filter all around the professions.
    Gateaway is better for professions than the ingame option I think.

I disagree. I don't ever have to take the time to type a search word/characters in-game. I can scroll very quickly to the proper location (I've learned them well by now). Ad once you hit that spot in the scroll list, you go back to it when you start another task instead of having to start over at the top of the list. It seems like typing search characters just adds more time, especially to Leadership since you can only do 3 of the same task at once - will have to type 2 or 3 search entries for EACH character.

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Gateway is SUBSTANTIALLY faster for me than in game, especially when I'm flipping between 25 characters.

Ironically enough, it runs slow on Firefox and Chrome for me, but runs like a dream on IE. I have IE on my desktop, and the only thing I use it for is the Gateway. In fact, right now I'm typing this out in Firefox, while I'm doing professions in the Gateway on IE :eek:
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    use filters to quickly find the tasks you want.
    With a bit of experience you'll manage to come with some that suit you:
    like "co" for Collect Taxes
    "sp" for Fight the Spellplague
    'cam' for Destroy the Enemy Camp
    etc.

And, what is more important, I propose the thread name to be corrected: right now it should definitely be called 'Not a Fawn of the "Gateway"' :D
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I disagree. I don't ever have to take the time to type a search word/characters in-game. I can scroll very quickly to the proper location (I've learned them well by now). Ad once you hit that spot in the scroll list, you go back to it when you start another task instead of having to start over at the top of the list. It seems like typing search characters just adds more time, especially to Leadership since you can only do 3 of the same task at once - will have to type 2 or 3 search entries for EACH character.

What browser etc are you using? The gateway is massively faster for me. Use of back and refresh are needed but it turns a 30 min task to about 10 mins or less refreshing everything.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

If you do it my way and search for "e" to trim a lot of the unwanted tasks" with higher level stuff at the top, then you don't need to change the search field and you're forever sorted.

For levelling I recommend "in" for patrol mines and war games trainig once l13.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    gateway is a waste of time, every time i need a new code, to add my "new" pc ive been using for a few years now, its slow to click etc.

now if they could fix ingame that stupid thing where you have to wait a min or 2 because of "finishing task" or whatever bs that doesnt allow to click the second you login...
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    If you do it my way and search for "e" to trim a lot of the unwanted tasks" with higher level stuff at the top, then you don't need to change the search field and you're forever sorted.

For levelling I recommend "in" for patrol mines and war games trainig once l13.

Ahh. Searching for simply "e" would be a good idea . . . Maybe I just need to get used to it. :)

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I wish there were x3 button...
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ahh. Searching for simply "e" would be a good idea . . . Maybe I just need to get used to it. :)
    The fast way to start multiple copies of the same task in the Gateway is to use the BACK button in you browser. It's mapped to my spare mousekey and all I do is click Start Task then hit Back, click Start Task, hit Back... I don't even have to move the mouse.

It's WAY faster than the game interface. And the Search function searches as you type rather than having to type the complete search term and hit enter.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You can start multiple identical tasks without even moving your mouse, so yeah, you're probably doing something wrong...

The website itself is a terrible piece of bloat though, and it's actually barely functional on a phone.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The website itself is a terrible piece of bloat though, and it's actually barely functional on a phone.
    That is true. The resources it takes to run the java etc on the gateway is kind of staggering.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After seeing people post about using the Gateway for Professions tasks and not remembering my prior experiences very well, I gave it a try again yesterday evening.

All I can say is "Yuck!"

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but collecting and starting new professions tasks takes me a LOT longer in the Gateway. What seems to drain the time the most is that when you click to start a new profession task then attempt to start another of the SAME task, you end up having to scroll back to the spot you were at as it seems to reset the tasks each time.

It seems to me like the Gateway was made more for tablets/iPhones than PCs.

Any thoughts on this?

Gateway is the best thing in Neverwinter. Hands down.

I really hope they will backport it to STO and CO.
    JMYwySk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    bernatk wrote: »
    Gateway is the best thing in Neverwinter. Hands down.

I really hope they will backport it to STO and CO.
    https://auth.startrekonline.com/

Just saying.
  • Options
    dublindandublindan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the quickest trick for me is to log into every character (I have 37 so far) on gateway, professions finish immediately, then stay on character select screen, go to neverwinter online and bam, collect and start new ones.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Gateway is much faster for me to collect rewards and start up new profession tasks. I also use it to collect my daily SCA rewards. The only thing I find the Gateway slower for is to open multiple leadership chests/barrels - those I leave for opening in-game. I routinely access the Gateway using Firefox and Chrome, without any issue.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    What I hate most is having to check my e-mail to get the "one time" code every so often.
    I have to do it everytime from my mobile and that alone kills it for me. By the time I open my mail and go back to gateway it has already expired. Being able to quickly and easily do professions while at work or whatever is a great idea in theory but it is totally impractical. At least for me.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have to do it everytime from my mobile and that alone kills it for me. By the time I open my mail and go back to gateway it has already expired. Being able to quickly and easily do professions while at work or whatever is a great idea in theory but it is totally impractical. At least for me.

The Gateway definitely needs to be better optimized for touch screens/phones - It works fine on desktops/laptops, but nowadays, mobile devices are so prevalent, that this should be a non-issue.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »

^Pretty much.
    It's even faster when you have a mouse with a button that acts as Backspace (go back one page).
    Queueing my profession tasks goes a lot faster on Gateway than it does in game for me. So my experience is pretty much the opposite from the OP.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    maderiamaderia Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I like having the gateway. If it times out on you, consider clearing your cache. That seems to fix it. I too wish it were more stable. It would also be nice to have a specific app for iOS or Google vs. running on a browser.
    Also finishing your task assignments in one profession at a time works better than jumping around which will hang you up every time.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Gateway is incredibly useful for when you want to check in the game but don't have a suitable device/time/place to access the whole client