test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tiamat: How I bacame a GS snob...

query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
I have always felt that GS was bad metric. I still do for everything other than Tiamat. But the path this encounter has taken has turned me into a GS snob. I can outlay this process in 3 stages.

1. Tiamat launches. Everything is a little confusing. Eventually we figure out timed entry and I start doing Tactics runs with friends, guildies, and legit. We get a fairly high success rate and have a lot of fun teaching newbies the sequence and generally working out a gameplan that works.

2. Zarg dominance. Lots of people entering all the time and most of them going with the simplest plan. Zerg. If 1/2 the people zerg and 1/2 don't you wipe most times. Worse if 25 people que at the same time they end up in 2-4 different instances because random is random. Move to entering at 5:00 and then having a set time to move to a vacant instance. This works for a while and fun is had all around untill they institute no instance changin....

3. So if a bunch of people who are all really high GS all que at the same second they will be strung out over many instances. However you do gaurantee that there will be 10-15 20ks in your instance. And that, even though it is no gaurantee of skill, drastically increases your odds of success. Just on raw DPS. So I joined one of those high GS chanels and will stick with it for the last few Linu for my last boon (full DT, off-hand et al are already done). When it is over I can resign from myt snobbery and....

What? Do T2 gear runs with friends? T2 is cheap now. A little over a year ago I called up a friend and said, "I've got too much free time and likely will for a while. What's a good MMO for filling in the dead space?" He told me this was it and man, at the time, he was right. The combat is fairly dynamic. From go building your character they emphasized cooperation. Even when you are not in a party you are working with others toward similar goals. With low GS running through the Dungeons you need coordination and planning. It was a team sport. Sure LFG started becoming a cesspool where they were only asking for 'high DPS high GS blah-blah'. the worst of that were the CWF parties but there was still legit and guildies and friends lists where you could find people to play with. Now that is all kind of meaningless. A MMO is a social environment. Give me something where I can play with my friends and guildies.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    So wanting to not have idiots on your instances is snobbery now? How times have changed in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    No. I cannot keep idiots out of my instance. I can only gaurantee that 1/3 to 2/3 of those idiots (or geniuses there's no way to tell) will be OP. Which is the best you can hope for in Mod5. Hell I would much rather be able to determine an instance with lower GS competant cooperative players. That simply is not possible anymore. I'll hang up my snob hat in another 20 Linu (that's 20 hours in real life time). I am just sad that, at that point, ther won't be anything to do...
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So wanting to not have idiots on your instances is snobbery now? How times have changed in MMOs.

Kind of funny that people always requested more than the minimum, but while the content got sort of harder and the requirements went down, not wanting a lower gs than people previously asked for anyway is classed as snobbery by some. There are obviously people that take requirements too far, but entering with 10-12k is just freaking lazy.

However I too have been less lax with groups and just wanting one that is more likely to get the job done. Others do it too, which has a rolling effect on some instance to be more likely to fail. I mean that's 80 hours just in victories per toon for just the 6th and 7th boons. Thankfully I'm all sorted when i farm one of the tomes and buy the last one since I just need the breyers and haarls. Screw my other toons. Not worth the effort.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    There are obviously people that take requirements too far, but entering with 10-12k is just freaking lazy..

There's no difference if you enter as a 25k GS guy or a 10k GS scrub as long as your chances of winning are determined purely by RNG. This is not the case when you could carry 4 players in PvP or epics, here you can only be good enough to defend one of the clerics on your own, but two others may still fail. You can't provide enough DPS or support being the only high GS/smart player out there.

Just for notice, I did 10 test Tiamat runs, 5 as a 17k TR, 5 as a 11k SW. Wanna now my winrate? TR - 0 wins, 5 losses; SW - 2 wins, 3 losses.

RNG in this game went too far.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    this encounter has taken has turned me into a GS snob.

But is gs reliable? Is it not the offensive capacity that has to be taken into account?
    15k SW delivers same damage as 21k CW who in turn delivers more damage than 26k Gwf, while at the same time it's easier to pile up gs as a Gwf. You'll end up with a useless bunch of 25k+ Gwfs and you'll fail the skirmish.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    GS only matters to a point. Skill trumps GS most of the time. There are 12k GS players who can run Tiamat (and other dungeons) better than some 20k GS players.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    I'll hang up my snob hat in another 20 Linu (that's 20 hours in real life time). I am just sad that, at that point, ther won't be anything to do...
    I came to that realisation just a few days ago myself. I've only just started running Tiamat as I don't have a lot of game time and putting aside 25-30 minutes every hour on the hour is pretty restricting. I've yet to get a success BTW. Then it hit me - what do I do once Tiamat is over? In fact what do I do if I don't want to run the buggy omnishambles at all? Dungeons are dead, everything else is a grind.

Maybe time to take a break until Mod 6.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I came to that realisation just a few days ago myself. I've only just started running Tiamat as I don't have a lot of game time and putting aside 25-30 minutes every hour on the hour is pretty restricting. I've yet to get a success BTW. Then it hit me - what do I do once Tiamat is over? In fact what do I do if I don't want to run the buggy omnishambles at all? Dungeons are dead, everything else is a grind.

Maybe time to take a break until Mod 6.

Tbh that's what I've felt the past few modules. Since CN prices dropped (understandable) I felt no reason to do anything but dailies. Mc wasn't really farmable, vt wasn't farmable, the skirmish at least had rank 5s until they nerfed that, mod 4 wasn't farmable. Mod 5 at least had the ability to farm for the cloak and off hand, plus the boons but I only did that for one character just ecause I can, too much for the rest.
  • Options
    thehumancodexthehumancodex Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    (Post Removed)
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will laugh if the unexpected change for the next module is that they do away with gear score. Then what will all you guys cry about? ;)

I would actually enjoy that, but I doubt that will happen - too much of the game is designed around GS.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I will laugh if the unexpected change for the next module is that they do away with gear score. Then what will all you guys cry about? ;)

Well the ones at 10k gs wear greens and blues anyway so it won't be hard to tell them apart. An easy and lazy way to judge people is to look at their weapon enchantment. An alternative would to be look at their stats or what level enchantments they use, or even their hp since the low gs'ers will have 20-25k for the squishy classes without investments.
  • Options
    pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tiamat is a pure DPS race. Skill -- other than what rotation, when, and dodging -- only carries so much weight. I'm not sure 25 well skilled < 13 K GS players could do Tiamat.
  • Options
    onegaki101onegaki101 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am surprised people are still having issues with Tiamat. I've done about 120+ tiamat and probably lost around 10 of them. The first 20 where on the few days after the initial release and i stopped because I kept getting into instances where you do not get a reward for killing Tiamat (apparently if you enter too quickly the event did not reset properly). After waiting a couple of minutes after event starts, I have not had any problems getting my favor for each win whether I join with group of friend or solo queue(most of the time i solo queue in).

I have gotten 3 characters both offhand and cloak, and working on my 4th one one but a bit burned out as I have gotten bored of tiamat. The biggest issue I initially found was not GS, but people's reluctance to use the zerg tactic. Never understood why people would not want to focus fire, pretty much one of the top rules for any raid.

Right now still very easy to get a few friends/guildies into the same instance. I've been able to get 6 people into the same instance without issue. If they ever implement a party queue system, it would make it way too easy(more easier than it is now).
  • Options
    shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It IS really relatively easy if you manage to get into a good group but it is 100% impossible with a poor group (no mater your own gear, skill and PC)...
    Sad but true, so nothing to be boasting about...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    shadevp wrote: »
    It IS really relatively easy if you manage to get into a good group but it is 100% impossible with a poor group (no mater your own gear, skill and PC)...
    Sad but true, so nothing to be boasting about...
    Yup. I've had one fail where the group split between tactics and zerg, and one where we didn't even clear the first Cleric round, but all the others have been low DPS. Came close twice but no cigar.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    walk2k wrote: »
    Tiamat is a DPS check period. Why would you allow 10k GS in a DPS check?
    Harsh but true. I'm not normally a GS snob but I have no idea why Tiamat has such a low entry requirement when any instance mainly filled with sub-13k players will fail on DPS even if everyone knows what they're doing. I can only assume they expected much higher tiers of the Hoard bonus to be the norm and boost the effectiveness of low GS toons enough to complete the encounter.

That's just not happening.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Low GS does not equal bad player.

Low GS does not equal no skill.

Why do people continue to insist that low GS consists of terrible people not knowing what to do when it is just not true?

Oh and by the way 10k GS is not "greens and blues", it is a full T1 set for most classes.
    pmabraham wrote: »
    Tiamat is a pure DPS race. Skill -- other than what rotation, when, and dodging -- only carries so much weight. I'm not sure 25 well skilled < 13 K GS players could do Tiamat.

Of course they can, due to all of the buffs and debuffs stacking. Actually a perfectly played 10-11k GS team could do it, due to how all of the buffs work.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    GS only matters to a point. Skill trumps GS most of the time. There are 12k GS players who can run Tiamat (and other dungeons) better than some 20k GS players.

Well sure if players from Top PVP guilds are controlling those 12k GS toons against an average PVE player....

But most of the time, those 20k GS players will outperform the 12k GS players.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This 20kgs can perform better than 10kgs or 12kgs stuff should stop. Water is wet we get it. All other things being equal, yes higher gs performs better, the sky is blue, fire burns, etc. The real question is if you put the best players together with 10kgs toons could they beat the encounter. My answer is yes I believe they could, it would be a challenge but they could. The problem is doing so would be the only pve challenge in the game and it's something no one that plays this game is used to seeing in neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    This 20kgs can perform better than 10kgs or 12kgs stuff should stop. Water is wet we get it. All other things being equal, yes higher gs performs better, the sky is blue, fire burns, etc. The real question is if you put the best players together with 10kgs toons could they beat the encounter. My answer is yes I believe they could, it would be a challenge but they could. The problem is doing so would be the only pve challenge in the game and it's something no one that plays this game is used to seeing in neverwinter.

Well yeah. I think that analysis that "hurr durr I once saw a 12k GS do better than 20k GS herp derp" is ridiculous. I personally think they aren't even arguing for game mechanics. They just had a bad day in PVE and wanted to make a hyperbolic statement.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Not true. A player has to finish the "Assist the Zhentarim" tasks before entering Well of Dragons. It's unlikely a person will be able to finish these before finishing the leveling process.

There's no such requirement. All you have to do in order to enter Well of Dragons is level your character to 60, gear it up to 10k GS and accept WoD quest.

UPD. Ninja'ed on this one.
    And besides, what is wrong with being able to play all endgame content (including Sharandar, Dread Ring, etc.) once you reach level 60?

All endgame content have been raising in GS requirement the more, the higher was the number near the word Module. But in this particular one, they've chosen new strategy. They said, that their target is, basically, low GS players who play casually (can't remember correctly, some of the dev team said it in AMA), and they don't wanna create difficult content because lots of players won't be able to play it, and they want their content to be open to as many players, as possible. But such content would be too easy for elites, and impossible for casuals (epic SoT, just for instance), and they decided to mix those absolutely different skill and gear level institutes together.
    So, here we are, fighting the most epic adventure with total strangers, not being able to play with our guildies and friends for the sake of the company's current business plan.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well it wasn't a lie, I was simply in error. True you don't need to complete the Zhentarim tasks to enter the Well of Dragons. Sorry for the confusion.

And I detest snobbery in all its forms.

If you don't want to help other people, then I don't know why you are even playing an MMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    They just had a bad day in PVE and wanted to make a hyperbolic statement.

Like the 20k players who have no idea what to do in Tiamat and then the raid fails and then they blame "low GS" as a scapegoat? yeah that's never happeend
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    People hating on low GS inside Tiamat is really not the players fault, it's the devs. They messed up the teaming mechanics.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What a weird "raid", if it even qualifies as that.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    People hating on low GS inside Tiamat is really not the players fault, it's the devs. They messed up the teaming mechanics.

Pretty much my origonal point. I hope I made it clear that I don't like GS snobbery. But the design of Tiamat demands it. Its just math. 80 Linu for boons. 15 for OH, if you want DT you're spending more on the head. The instance can be run once an hour and you will need 100 successful runs to complete this module, The only method of affecting composition is timed entry. Timed entry only gaurantees that 20-80% of your group will enter the instance. Thismakes selecting for skill completely useless because it is all-zerg all the time. Which is essentially a DPS race. So if your group entry is composed entirely of 20k+ you cannot gaurantee skill but you have a fair sureness of lots of DPS. Or at least above average. It is reminiscent of the days of CN speed runs where LFG was asking specifically for high GS and only high DPS classes, often enough demanding the proper enchants as well. Because in DPS race that is all that matters. Tiamat is actually worse than LFG, think about that for a second. In Mod5 we have been given an encounter that is less community friendly than LFG.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Game basically treats High GS people as Companion for Low GS people to help them out.

That's actually the whole point of it. Devs want to keep reqs on content as low as possible overall, but it's also pretty obvious that a 10k PUG has no business killing Tiamat whatsoever. So the randomness takes care of mixing people so that most players have a shot at Tiamat.

Otherwise, you would see 18k/20k instances or whatever and all the low PUGs would be whining all over the forum that they can't complete Tiamat. The HE isn't 10k, it's 16k difficulty.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

If you don't want to help other people, then I don't know why you are even playing an MMO.

Not everyone who plays MMOs are there to help people.
    And I detest snobbery in all its forms.

I also detest snobbery expecting every player to help out other players who clearly have not invested time or resources.