test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Back from a Year Off - State of the Game

tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So I came back to NW after about a year hiatus and a friend convincing me that there is a lot to still do etc. I'm surprised to see simple things still not fixed by the DEVs.

First the Good:
Pretty cool all the content which was added.
There is a lot to do it looks like.
The game still has the best addicting action gameplay of any Fantasy combat genre I've played (even Tera's claim to the action/dodge category.) I find that NW has more choice in how to kill a mob than Tera's same order every mob, over and over again which got very boring fast. Not so with NW. It's the best IMHO.
The UI and overall elements are just very pro and shows a great production quality from the start.
It's FUN, pure and simple, I forgot how much so and happy I chose to come back.

Now the Bad - Seriously after all this time I cannot believe these havn't been addressed, which concerns me a lot.

1- The auction house is still acting like it did with next to no improvements, no item level column. This is just a design gripe really.

2- The filter dropdown for STATS still do not work in the AH, selecting the stat Critical Strike for example does nothing to the search results.

3- Selecting Weapon Enhancement Slot for example in the Refinement section of the AH "No Items Found" and the problem this brings to the player is what if I don't know all the names of the enhancements. It's a serious pain to try and find something. Can't this be fixed?

4- At the end of a dungeon run the stats and numbers zip off to the right in repeated fashion (like an old school TV scrolling except to the right) so you can't read them. I know it's not my particular PC either because it did the same thing on the old system I played on before, this PC is different.

5- Seems like poor shader performance, the Lantern tanks FPS to death, or a slime, or slime mount (posted this in the bug report area.)

Now before anyone gives me grief I do support the game in $$$$ and thoroughly love it. But with the latter comes the desire to see the DEVs fixing things along the way vs. just releasing ZEN items in the store. I can see there are a lot of new things in the store and it is necessary to generate the $ for the business which I support. But it's a little bit a slap in the customer's face not to fix some of the obvious issues that existed from BETA.

Thanks for a great game.
Post edited by tantrumusmaximus on

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's been a huge number of improvements to the game and quality of life issues, as well as bug fixes. Some of the AH stuff is annoying, but it's not game-breaking, and I don't think it reflects the quality of changes added. Hardly a "slap in the face" of anyone.

And some of those issues might still be related to your settings. I have no problem seeing the stats pop up and the end of a dungeon, and never have. Likewise, I can run the game at Ultra settings and don't have any problems with the Lantern effect, the slime mount or anything else, except in rare instances.

But what I'd do is just get in the game and start playing. Coming back from over a year and you'll see there's an absolutely enormous amount of new content and changes to the game. Spend a few days playing and I think you'll agree stuff has come a long way since this time last year.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A few suggestions -

#3 : Just put in "shard" as search word, and you'll start finding names of enchantments for weapons, and armor. You can also note names as you finsh up dungeons, and get shards yourself.

#4: Probably can copy paste from the log there, or get a log recorder program of some form if you want to review numbers.

Copy - Highlight the text in game by holding down left mouse button, and then moving it over the text itself. Open notepad. Hit CTRL-V to paste.

- A lot of things just take a press of a button, or a click of an icon to read. Devs were very good about including description content.

- Look for a guild suited to your playstyle, timeslot, and well established where you can ask many questions in Guild Chat with no judgement on having a lack of knowledge. A good guild is for more than just Gauntlegrym acess.

- Play a few foundries to mess around with powers, and current builds. You can take your time in there as you like.

These things should help any returning player.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well it took them about a year to fix a simple door preventing progression, they broke /killme 2 modules ago, they advertised a stone with a broken skin multiple times with no fix (thanks for selling me broken stuff), they broke /showfps, there's still tiamat issues, which is funny when they delay something's release and still release it broken, they completely ruined refining (thanks for the easy AD for when I sell), broke the economy twice, "here's a sale, lol jk", "hey lets release new grouped content that people should organise themselves yet not allow them the ability to make a full raid or even party, such a great idea!" AFAIK they still haven't fixed MC lag issues they introduced in either mod 2 or 3, they like balancing things by changing who is OP each module, it took them a month to find the variable for dragon hoard stacks that people said they already maxed out and were forced to spend AD and gold just to remove them so that they could continue on with the campaign, 6th boon is broken (you'd think it'd be easy to test a total of 2 boons added), changes to combat bots that actually don't affect them or have little effect but do affect players themselves. That will do for now I guess.

I wouldn't judge you for not supporting a company like that.
  • Options
    thehumancodexthehumancodex Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    (Post Removed)
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Welcome back! Hope you enjoy all the new content... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Do you still play and if so, why? It seems like most of your posts always have several negative digs at the game. I just wonder why somebody who dislikes the game so much even bothers to play or hang around the forums. I really mean this as an honest question.

Well mod 5 seems to sort of be an improvement even though a lot of people hate it. I hate the lack of care they show to the game when it otherwise could have been very good. I invest a hell of a lot of time into investments, and kind of want to finish what I started. Maybe even reach my goal of 100M AD which is very possible now that I have over 100 stacks of lesser res stones.

Until they show basic quality control and show that they value their players apart from the odd thing to pretend they do, then I will judge on their actions. Don't mess things up, then I won't have anything to criticise. They don't need to be perfect, noone is. However when people pay high prices for some of the items, I expect professionalism which I feel is far from being delivered. We don't want bugs in our food, so why should we accept it in our entertainment. If you go to the supermarket some of the items have a threshold on how many bug parts are allowed. I have my own here on what is acceptable, and taking a long time to fix some impacting issues does not reach that.

I also stick with games for to long in the name of progress even when I don't actually want to and find it harder to move onto something else ^_^. So currently I am still playing, logically know that I probably shouldn't even though mod 5 has been acceptable minus the bugs and some issues. Usually I calm down (not that I'm an angry person or anything), but then newer issues just continue adding to the list of current issues, or I see some thread that gets locked prematurely and so before those issues get put to rest, I feel they just build up into one big player unfriendly mess.

I did ponder whether to start giving away some items if I made my taget, but idk if
    1) I'm that generous, I usually like to keep things to myself to build myself up and not accept resources from others.
    2) Whether I think it's worth doing it. A lot of people are jerks.

Plus I've spent a lot of time in game. The negative issues impact my experience more and are harder to just shrug off. All I expect is for development to reach fairly reasonable expectations.

Anyway, they or we can't ignore the issues. They need to be known, and they need to continue to know that they are problems. I see moderators state that certain issues should not be reported here, and yet they're only fixed when well known. In general I think negativity is a bad thing, but sometimes it's just justified. Some people killed a tiamat head too early? Chill, just tell them it's bad without calling them a tosser. Life is a learning experience, just because people haven't learnt what you have yet doesn't make them less of a person. That company that makes money on a buggy product, yeah, you're not going to be exempt from my criticism. I save my criticism for those that seem to have a negative impact.

tl;dr: Yes, I'm weird.
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Don't mess things up, then I won't have anything to criticise.

LOL, Sandesyl Morgia....
    frishter wrote:
    Gamers in general can be disgustingly toxic.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's easy for people to latch onto minor bugs, and make them out to be ruining the game.

Like Frishter wrote, the doors in CN. If more than one person clicked to open it, they broke and you couldn't continue. That sucked. And it took them a long time to fix it, but it was also something that was easy for the players to deal with. Every CN group, we just made the leader the official "door opener" and never, ever had a problem with it.

Is it a bug? Yes. Does it break the game? No.

Should Cryptic fix it? Absolutely. Does that justify pages of abuse about how crappy the game is and how they don't deserve any money? Absolutely not.

Every single video game ever has had bugs. And MMOs, with as complex as they are, and the sheer number of people out there trying to "break stuff" shines a spotlight on anything that does break. But it's silly to throw out the 99% of stuff that works because of the 1% that breaks.

But the other reality is that if you spend enough time on the forums, you see it's generally the exact same 5 or 6 people posting the same complaints over and over again, and when they get called out for claiming to hate the game, but still play, they put out some sort of justification for their complaining about trying to make the game better, and the obligations that Cryptic has to fix everything to their standard, etc, etc...but like anything, their bark is worse than their bite.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    It's easy for people to latch onto minor bugs, and make them out to be ruining the game.

Like Frishter wrote, the doors in CN. If more than one person clicked to open it, they broke and you couldn't continue. That sucked. And it took them a long time to fix it, but it was also something that was easy for the players to deal with. Every CN group, we just made the leader the official "door opener" and never, ever had a problem with it.

Is it a bug? Yes. Does it break the game? No.

Should Cryptic fix it? Absolutely. Does that justify pages of abuse about how crappy the game is and how they don't deserve any money? Absolutely not.

Every single video game ever has had bugs. And MMOs, with as complex as they are, and the sheer number of people out there trying to "break stuff" shines a spotlight on anything that does break. But it's silly to throw out the 99% of stuff that works because of the 1% that breaks.

But the other reality is that if you spend enough time on the forums, you see it's generally the exact same 5 or 6 people posting the same complaints over and over again, and when they get called out for claiming to hate the game, but still play, they put out some sort of justification for their complaining about trying to make the game better, and the obligations that Cryptic has to fix everything to their standard, etc, etc...but like anything, their bark is worse than their bite.

This. So much this.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think the state of the end endgame is pretty bad right now.

All the dungeons are a joke and you can't get anything valuable out of them.

The 25 man skirmish, I'm sorry I mean the "raid" is an easy pug zerg when it actually functions as intended

Its all about how much refine points you can get to shove into your gear which is the worst and its a pay cliff at this point

And I guess there's the pvp. That's bad so I basically log in to pray, pick up my leadership ad and log back out again.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Right on queue.:D
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think the state of the end endgame is pretty bad right now.

All the dungeons are a joke and you can't get anything valuable out of them.

The 25 man skirmish, I'm sorry I mean the "raid" is an easy pug zerg when it actually functions as intended

Its all about how much refine points you can get to shove into your gear which is the worst and its a pay cliff at this point

And I guess there's the pvp. That's bad so I basically log in to pray, pick up my leadership ad and log back out again.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Which is sad, because this game has much potential.

Perhapse Monk and Paladin classes (my mains in real D&D) will get me back into the game (and spending cash on zen), if they ever develop them.

And ironzerg, you got to realize what the peep who I quoted is pointing out, is basically the changes they have been making to the game just arnt fun. Who wants to spend all day funneling 5 units of refine stones from stacks of hundreds into a artifact?

More fun gameplay, and the zen purchase will follow, rather than bait and switch psyco analysed economics. They aren't the only game in town, and other games will lure the customers away, if they don't veer toward fun over grind.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Right on queue.:D

True.
    The haters gonna hate.
    They whine and cry all day long, but as stated: they are still here, if not in the game itself then in the forums.
    Only because they have the pathetic impression their opinion is more important than anyone else's and the Devs will actually listen.

...or something. It's the sympathetic 'greater than thou' syndrome.

State of the game is excellent. Not perfect to be sure and many bugs notwithstanding, but considering the "state" of any game: it's in an excellent state right now. There is only one criteria to proclaim such: is anyone having any fun playing it? Well, they're still here, there are still thousands of players every day.

@OP: Thanks for your perspective. Different perspectives are important. I disagree with your "bad" list, not that these aren;t problems, but they they are important enough to warrant any mentions. But that's my perspective. So each of us having different perspectives is called, mum, what is that... variety? Choice?

OH, that's right: Diversity. See, I can be politically-correct if I wannabe. :)

If you look at anyone's profile you can see how much time they've actually spent playing the game. For so many commentators proclaiming how "bad" things are, that statistic is telling. LOL
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Right on queue as well........

On-topic. Game is barely 2 years old now. For 2 years imho its in decent condition. Economy is alright. F2P can f2p. Whales can whale. Enough content (varying opinion on quality) to play many many hours and do many random things. PVP could really use some additions. But overall for a PVE, zerg centric MMO it's fine.

BTW Sprite you are wrong, my playtime says zero... but when I was curious in-game and asked for the command in /legit in comparison my playtime was pathetically quite a bit more time than anyone else who was willing to share. Yah Im a gamer. Zeb was in the channel at the time, edit: My character was like 30+ game time hrs (it actually was like 20+ days, but yah.....) more than his.... so again your generalized observation is quite incorrect.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lol all those AH bugs have been there since beta, don't look for those to get fixed ever.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If you look at anyone's profile you can see how much time they've actually spent playing the game. For so many commentators proclaiming how "bad" things are, that statistic is telling. LOL

That's logged from playtime with arc open... I'm not going to run additional unnecessary software that acts only to clog up resources.
    [System Notify] fruitie has adventured for87 days, 1 hour, 15 minutes, 28 seconds.
    ^My main has more time logged than your whole account for example. Of course some of that will be spent alt+tabbed ie waiting for dragons and my play time is probably something more to be ashamed of than proud of, hence I won't show how much is logged from another program, although that one counts being in the main menu so that doesn't really count anyway.

I played a browser game before this, it had pvp that cost more resources than you gained, static pve where you attack them, but they wouldn't attack you back, rare patch notes, buggy as hell. Trust me when I say that it was terrible, I was even a moderator there (which I'd occasionally get called a fanboy purely due to that title if I defended something that I didn't think was worth attacking them about). Something I have, though rarely, done here. I still played it for a year just to reach the only goal of reaching the middle which was kind of pointless at the time. That doesn't mean that they did something right, it just means I did something wrong and wanting to complete was ranked higher than my desire to continue playing.

So yes, I have more than enough experience to have informed opinions. Plus even if it wasn't just arc logged time, this could have been an alt account. If I spent only 8 hours playing do you really think that I'd know so much about the games flaws?
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    LOL, Sandesyl Morgia....
    Yeah I feel like they messed her up at the time. Then someone gave the reasoning and it made sense. Still now I think she looks worse than she did. It's nothing I really cared about, but she did look hella ugly :P
    Well if it's just the one thing it's dealable. It's not though, it all accumulates. Likewise there was a but in vt where if you wiped after the first boss, there was an invisible wall blocking progress and you were screwed. That also took way too long to sort out. There's no "don't open the door" there. Although a decent party would just clear it, it's still unacceptable. People didn't have 20k gs then, there were bound to be some affected. The worst thing about the door bug is that they fixed the workaround to get past it, but not the issue itself. The door bug still happened to me occasionally. Maybe someone didn't take notice, or there's an old timer just returning. It shouldn't be our job to work around bugs on a permanent basis. People get paid to beta test, yet apparently we are the ones that pay for it all.

But yes bugs do happen, but if you don't fix them in a timely manner, then that's what makes you look bad. Plus when every major content they release is highly bugged. Even more insulting is when they're informed of the issues. I mean surely months of people getting free AD from a bug is something not just to say, "meh, it happens"?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Fanboy all you want, if you actually enjoy doing daily quests and hes there isn't much to be said and if you are into the pvp well sorry but it is straightforward bad. Its like a pointed story about how you shouldn't make a pvp game.

Also lol ARC
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I use a different name ingame than I do here due to certain vindictive people here on the forums, so lol "ARC time".
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    your generalized observation is quite incorrect.

How is it incorrect? All I said was that it's "telling". if yours is zero it tells me you aren't using the ARC client. LOL Please read what I write as written, don't read 'into' it. Most people who do that get my meanings wrong. I write specifically and try not to infer anything through ambiguousness. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    How is it incorrect? All I said was that it's "telling". if yours is zero it tells me you aren't using the ARC client. LOL Please read what I write as written, don't read 'into' it. Most people who do that get my meanings wrong. I write specifically and try not to infer anything through ambiguousness. :)

So how is it telling? It's not really an indicator of anything. What does arc usage have to do with anything o.o?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Fanboy all you want, if you actually enjoy doing daily quests and hes there isn't much to be said and if you are into the pvp well sorry but it is straightforward bad. Its like a pointed story about how you shouldn't make a pvp game.

Also lol ARC

Ulitmately, every MMO is about repeatable content. There isn't a single MMO out there that let's you do something totally different every day as part of the main game.

And even to that end, if you're looking for something new and fresh, try the Foundry. There's lots of great content there.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sorry didn't mean to start a back/forth flame war. Just was wondering from my several days back and noticing the same issues from when I left a year ago if they were really not fixing issues.

But from the sound of it, they have been, just takes them a while.

I'm enjoying myself a lot and what matters the most is the gameplay working, and from my experience before and now, it's rock solid. I love the fact there is no hint of lag when I want to use an ability it is spot on... they really nailed the reactive gameplay style IMHO.

I can live with the AH bugs. Small issue for an otherwise great game.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ulitmately, every MMO is about repeatable content. There isn't a single MMO out there that let's you do something totally different every day as part of the main game.

A criticism no one ever uttered, grats for taking it down
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Foundry, ah yes, after the reset about a fortnight ago.
    175 missions- no farms
    day 2- 375 missions- lots of farms.
    day 4- 1100+ missions.
    didn't check after that.
    so about 15% or less ,which AREN'T farms.

what I did notice was the same missions but with new handles attached to them.
    So by the looks it was, level a character to 15 on another acct. reload. sigh

and if anyone tries the- Imp infesting the AH one. try to get past the imp farm at the front, there is actually a story behind it.
    I did the whole thing and it improves after that first bit.

The Gold sellers one is hilarious.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!