test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Players -x- Old Players

keobr09keobr09 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
So, i have some friends that wants to play and stuff
and myself... well i was an average player before (talking about GEAR SCORE). But i stoped playing and now i came back. Right now i could make a CW with 14k GS in 2 weeks but idk how good this is.

It sounded that this new Mod made things more "acessible" to newcomers to get GS faster, like T2 costs, lesser enchants, and dragon coins, but my question is:

Can a new player, become par with the minium required GS to play all the content (PvP,PvE,Open-PvP), without open their wallets to spend more than $30? How long?

Plus i have some more:

Whats the minimun GS to make you acceptable on High-End content?
Getting 20k+ GS does makes some diference in the game? Like, is it REALLY needed or it gets obsolete after a point (ik PvE here is almost ezmode).
Did this game became easier or harder to get GS?

Thank you
Post edited by keobr09 on

Comments

• oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    With Mod5, T2 armor is basically selling for the absolute minimum. Most classes can fully gear in the 4 pieces of tier 2 for less than 100k easily. The rest of the pieces to fill in the gear could be bought on the AH for about another 100k or so. This would bring you probably to the 12k GS range. Add in some enchants (rank 5 enchants are about 2k each) and get to 13k.

IMO, at 13k with a decently competent build and person driving, you can probably do everything while also contributing to the group (not just along for the ride).

Getting 20k GS means you probably are just min/maxing for stats and dont have an optimal build - and you definetley spent some money or are a long time player with a very decent AD supply. There is nothing in the game that requires 20k GS unless you want to solo T2 dungeons maybe.

Since T2 items and sets are a simple AH purchase away, I'd say its pretty easy to get GS up to around 13k with little effort. Beyond that, it will take a bit of effort to get Rank 6 or higher enchants and stuff.

The hard part is the gated campaigns. Unless you want to buy your way through, it will take an month to get through them all if you do every daily every day (and keep your sanity). Just the ToD campaign is required for the highest level content (Tiamat) but the other areas boons are useful, no doubt.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but really it is "It Depends".
    For instance, by "Minimum Gearscore" do you mean:
    1) To participate?
    2) To contribute?
    3) To do well?
    4) To do outshine most other players?
    5) To DOMINATE?

If you just want the minimum to be able to get into a Zone, then no worries, easy as pie.
    If you want to be able to make a meaningful contribution to your Party, well, that takes a bit longer, but is still very doable in a reasonable amount of time.
    Doing well starts to take time or money. But a fairly reasonable amount of either one or the other will get you there. Unless you are genuinely well above average at the Game. Then you can do well enough will lower powered Gear.
    Really shining bright in the Crowd will cost you. Time, money, or both.
    If you expect to step into the very top tiers of PvP it won't be cheap. They require the best of everything AND the Skill and Experience to use it to the best of your advantage. Keep in mind that there are only a small handful of folks (generally in Elite PvP Guilds) that actually fall into this category.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    As for PvP, that's the part that requires either a dragonhoard of money (someone in another post estimates it at about 2400 bucks) or the lifetime of a lich. It's an elite-only sports these days where you get scoffed at if you're below 18k GS.

That is simply not true!
    They TOTALLY Scoff at 18k GS players.
    Seriously, the new "Standard" for Elite PvP seems to be about 22,000 from what I've run into.
    My own 18k (ish) Toon gets creamed by them fairly often ;)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Getting 20k GS means you probably are just min/maxing for stats and dont have an optimal build - and you definetley spent some money or are a long time player with a very decent AD supply. There is nothing in the game that requires 20k GS unless you want to solo T2 dungeons maybe.

20k isn't hard to get when you're maxing out your character without sacrificing optimation. Especially when some toons are ~25k gs.

Anyway, pve it isn't hard to get decent gear to do the content. Pvp you can get gear to beat some people, but there will be a lot of times where you will get your face smashed in with little viable way to compete.
  • jiubiizeekkjiubiizeekk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    @jorifice totally true, I seen on two occasions, a GWF take on an entire team whilst they were laying into him, i was on his team and just stood there in AWE as he disbatched them all without loosing half his hp. Then on another occasion i came apon a CW who dispatched my entire team in 1-2 hits. and Im a 16.5k Guardian fighter(alt), i even had my shield up.
  • grumblesmorfgrumblesmorf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    PvP really is awful. It is just not even close to fun for me as a new player. I guess there's no actual matchmaking system and it just throws you all together randomly. It's makes the entire experience completely frustrating. People are always saying PvP really needs to be balanced and I totally agree, but it doesn't have anything to do with classes or abilities or powers from what I can tell. It's just that there is no system that's making the teams fair. If a fresh level 60 with 9k gear score takes their first PvP daily when they hit 60, they're likely to get thrown into a group with a bunch of people who have 50k hp and can one-shot them with a simple encounter power.

I'd love to play PvP because it sounds really fun, but it's just completely inaccessible to me like this. There's no strategy I can use to survive even now when I have 12k gearscore, other than hope I'm lucky enough to not get a group full of elites. I farmed about 14k honor points by trying to stand behind the lines and toss some heals to help out my teams before I just gave up. I wasn't helping most of the time. No one wanted me there most of the time. I didn't even want to be there anymore because it simply isn't fun. There's not even the remotest hint of fairness in PvP for this reason. You really should be put into groups for PvP based on your gearscore and not just your level because the gaps between people who are and aren't geared are just that insanely huge.

22k? Seriously? I didn't even know the numbers went that high. You might as well put level 20 characters into the same PvP groups as level 59 characters for how ridiculous that gap is.
  • keobr09keobr09 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the answers.
    Speaking as myself, i never went higher than 15k. Particulary i play for fun, so i doesnt want to be on the TOP leaderboards, BUT

-PvP is the thing that i love here the most. Is **** but the combat system can make NW the best PvP MMO out there, if devs gave it some work.
    -I love PvP Open-Areas, like IWD

In both of them i dare to say i do well. Most of the time i get #1 spot. This includes GG aswell. But the WAY i play is that bothers me. Like my mains are a Sab(WK) and a Tha(SS) and well...

- To have a chance agaisnt 16k+ GS ppl i can only count with my stealth/dodge abilities or the MegaBurst of EoTS

This leaves no choice for someone low geared kill another one without that 2 classes. I mean, a 15k GS TR like me, with some playstyle can kill ALMOST anyone from 16-20k, but what chances do a SW, a GWF... kill someone 5k more than them? they dont have one-hits, neither full crit combos or stealth.
    But thats another discussion.
    In you're opinnions does it still worth playing and calling friends to join aswell? If not, can you suggest another MMO that would be better? I've come from SWTOR, TERA, BLADEnSOUL, WILDSTAR, ARCHEAGE and NW manages to somehow give me more fun than them, so which other?
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you can get 14K in 2 weeks, then thats enough to queue into any instance. You'll have a tough time in ESoT and ELoL at 14K, elite jerks might not want you in DDs (but Legit will), and you won't do as much damage as the big boys, but you can still get into, contribute, and survive anywhere but PvP and possibly ESoT and ELoL.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I really can't say much about PvP. I haven't done it since the start of mod4, but back then, I could still kill players several K GS over me. Skill > GS.
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    my sw 14k with no enchantments or enhancements, apart from a lesser soulforged can do top damage on elite lostmauth and survive fine.

14k is more than enough and with a ioun stone you can easily get "actual almost 16k" gs which is absurdly op for any dungeon in existence, if your character is well build and intelligently geared you don't need to spend AD at all.

that said anyone pushing to 20k gs is probably shoving more survivability on the character with more hp and defense/regen/lifesteal. which makes them much more resilient than a 14k gs dps can achieve, obviously.

so try to run hard dungeons, like epic lostmauth, always with a nice tank and/or a good dc.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    With Mod5, T2 armor is basically selling for the absolute minimum. Most classes can fully gear in the 4 pieces of tier 2 for less than 100k easily. The rest of the pieces to fill in the gear could be bought on the AH for about another 100k or so. This would bring you probably to the 12k GS range. Add in some enchants (rank 5 enchants are about 2k each) and get to 13k.

IMO, at 13k with a decently competent build and person driving, you can probably do everything while also contributing to the group (not just along for the ride).

Since T2 items and sets are a simple AH purchase away, I'd say its pretty easy to get GS up to around 13k with little effort. Beyond that, it will take a bit of effort to get Rank 6 or higher enchants and stuff.

The hard part is the gated campaigns. Unless you want to buy your way through, it will take an month to get through them all if you do every daily every day (and keep your sanity). Just the ToD campaign is required for the highest level content (Tiamat) but the other areas boons are useful, no doubt.

One important note - @13k GS you can be useful or a baggage depending on your class. A GWF for example will be useless, a DC on the other hand can be very useful. So things are not so simple actually. The game forces not only gear but class choices on you as well
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.