test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Coeden [NW-DM719BCQ5] - Willing to trade reviews! :)

josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
Hi all, I have a small quest that could use some plays. As the title states I'm willing to trade reviews!

Coeden [NW-DM719BCQ5] (15-20 min combat focus)

Summary:
You have been sent to investigate a giant tree that's appeared out of nowhere. Better bring potions, it might be dangerous. ;p

Apart from your reviews, there is also a choice towards the end and if you don't mind, let me know which one you picked (or in the case of playing it multiple times, all choices). Thank you in advance! :)
If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
Post edited by josephskyrim on

Comments

• Options
    idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another detailed review coming up. I may do the same as White Dragon Winter as give pointers on certain elements of the game. I always like to see unrated or newly rated content.

RE-POST:

Post review/preview:

The main noted elements.
    The overall story had an excellent idea though the second part was far more interesting, especially with the final choice proving as an excellent ultimatum. There was more combat than I expected which the majority of Foundry players would be interested in. The map was also an excellent setting and atmosphere for the story.
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Oh cool! Thanks idiotamongus! The Foundry can certainly use more people like you around to pull things out of "review hell"! :D
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I played with my level 60 DC. I saw that the earlier plays came in a 14 minutes so you may want to add a little more. In general I would just recommend more details, especially in the temple. I didn’t get the feel it was a temple. There are a few details, especially with the new shrines and even the older Corellon shrine with the candles that might give it the right feel.

Since I sided with the dwarves I thought it might be a nice touch to let the player decide if the pilgrims should be healed before the tree was destroyed. That seemed like a gesture of peace toward the pilgrims. Or the player could choose to kill them if they wanted to be more war-like

First map:

-details for the forest are very good. Maybe consider adding a few different types of bushes and flowers to vary the look. If you were looking for a particular uniform look (some ecosystems are like that) then disregard.
    -the cave demolition has a really nice combination of effects
    -the phrase “Warp up to the temple” seemed out of place for the setting. Maybe use something like teleport?

Second map:
    -Some more details in these rooms might be nice. There are the elven bookcases. Some non-elven details could also work well.
    -I sided with the dwarves
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Thanks melinden! :) I'll revisit it for improvements to the decor and such. Since you didn't specify which quest of yours I should play I went ahead and looked for the first one on these forums... I'll post there now! :P
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I left a short review a few days ago, but there's one thing that hadn't occurred to me at the time: what was the kobolds' story? They were *really* out in force, which implies that they were also hugely interested in the tree. In fact, they were out in such numbers that it must have been the bulk of their forces: why were they willing to be so brazen and so willing to commit all of their forces? Did they even go so far as to compromise the defense of their cave in their attempt to control access to the tree? It seems to me that they wouldn't let a cave-in stop them, at least in the long run, and they might have at least one other exit anyway (usually necessary for ventilation). I see another story there, and since I sided with the elves the tree is still intact. Besides, maybe it isn't the tree so much as what caused it to grow that interests the kobolds?

P.S. I'm always interested in feedback for my foundry, especially since I'm beginning to think about what a sequel might look like ;)
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    P.S. I'm always interested in feedback for my foundry, especially since I'm beginning to think about what a sequel might look like ;)

I'll be happy to review it for you. I'm assuming it's the linked quest under your post. I will get straight on it.

RE-POST:

It is impossible to complete.
    Within the area where you have to find water to give to the dying Redcap, it is nowhere to be found. I have looked everywhere on the map, killed every encounter, spoken to all contact NPC's, restarted several times to make sure there were no bugs. I can't find it.
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @idiotamongus - not sure if @hustin1 fixed his quest since your post, but there is a jug of water hidden in the SE corner of the third map. As in really hidden in the cave system. I actually missed it the first time and only found when when I was looking for a way to get through the outer defenses. That took me awhile to find. :P

@hustin1 - ran the redcap snatchers and left a review. Very good work there btw, I always get blown away when people decorate THAT much. :P The only problem with it was more an RP one for my guy, as he would have killed all the Redcaps on the way in instead of letting them live to further spread the blight. Looking forward to your part 2.

As for the Coeden kobold question that's one that will be left to each player's imagination I'm afraid, for now at least. I initially wanted to make one huge campaign but quickly found that I like trying to mix things up on each of my quests - hence they are all stand alone. I'm hoping it also encourages people to just jump in any play any they feel like since they don't require previous knowledge of any of the others. :)
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hmm. That jug is a bit hard to spot. Let me see if I can do something about that. After all, there are several jugs in that cavern.

Edit: You can interact with any of the three jugs in there now, not just the one in the corner :)

</end OT post>
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I will have another run through of it. As far as I remember, the cavern was on the other side of the map to the the specified objective area. Perhaps it would be more convenient to the player to use one of the potions in the lab room? Now thinking about it, I'm not too sure that water would be the best thing to use for an injured redcap, I'm sure one of the healing potions in the lab room would be better for story effect. However, this doesn't necessarily need to be changed but it's these kinds of things I look out for.

Also, I can agree with Joseph that the detail was stunningly excellent, however the second map conflicts it a bit as the detail and map design can make you easily lost in the cave and the objectives placed with some distance between them doesn't help that much, though I like the idea that makes you have to put a bit of effort, the majority of players would probably find it rather tedious.

I might as well do a full review here as this post seems to be directing that way. I will still replay through it and make a summarized analysis.

As far as the story goes. There was plenty of side dialog to converse in, which players looking for more than a straight forward quest would enjoy, and at least there was a combat difficulty system which would be easier for lesser defensible classes (I still died a lot with my Warlock though but I built it up as a glass cannon and is still a low level).

RE-POST;
    I can understand why you used water instead of a health potion, which actually added for a better story. The water jug was still difficult to find though.
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • Options
    tipadaknifetipadaknife Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We played this quest in our weekly review, too... Not a fan of this one after how much we loved Arroway Manor, more in the review. Though Kasul and I are both elves (well, I play a half elf), we decided the elves were too snotty and sided with the dwarfs.
    dec2014nwsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    We played this quest in our weekly review, too... Not a fan of this one after how much we loved Arroway Manor, more in the review. Though Kasul and I are both elves (well, I play a half elf), we decided the elves were too snotty and sided with the dwarfs.

Read the review and pretty much agree with everything there. I did put this on the other post too but I'll just repeat it here: For those wondering about the quality drop from Coeden and Arroway Manor, I actually made Coeden first but forgot to publish it until after Arroway came out... Silly me. :P

Thank you for taking the time to play it anyway Tipa and Kasul! I'll try do better next time! ^^