test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion: Group/Swarm Companions

bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
My idea is very simple: Right now, pretty much all companions are a single entity. I'd like to see some companions introduced which consist of a small group of creatures or possibly even an entire swarm of the. Of course, for balance reasons, each individual creature of the group will be weaker than the single ones we have now.

Here are a few ideas I had:

1. The Fargo Sisters - There are, IIRC, two elves that are sisters, who are part of Knox's group - how cool would it be to be able to have both of them accompany you!

2. Goblin trio - this would consist of a goblin archer, a fighter, and one of those ice wizards from Icespire Peak.

3. Spiderling Brood - 4 baby spiders, (like the ones that burst out of the big spiders in many areas) - if possible, I'd like to see 2 be spitting spiders, and 2 be regular ones.

4. Carrion bugs - This one would be a bit different - summoning the companion only spawns 3 mini carrion bugs - each time you kill an enemy, it can spawn another 3 carrion bugs. You may have up to 9 carrion bugs out at any given time. There would be something like a 15 second cooldown on the ability that spawns more bugs.

5. Murder of Crows - This companion would consist of 3-5 crows. They have a basic "peck" attack, and another ability that can blind enemies (read: lowers enemy damage output).

6. Dogpack - A group of 3-5 dogs. They have a basic bite attack, but more importantly, will try to surround enemies (thereby aiding in granting combat advantage).

7. Cloud of Bats - Summons 5-7 bats that surround you. These bats deal DoT to enemies that get near you and apply a tiny damage debuff to enemies via a sonic scream (very short range cone).

8. Trained Hyenas - 2 loyal hyena guardians that follow you - they have a basic bite attack and another that makes enemies bleed.

9. Flurry of Fluff - For some reason, a family of 5-7 squirrels has taken to following you - they deal minor damage with their bites & scratches, but have a tiny chance to discover a magic acorn on defeated enemies, which can heal you for a moderate amount.
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Any feedback on this idea?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    icyphishyicyphishy Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Any feedback on this idea?

I LOVE this idea, would be a lot of fun searching and collecting these companions, best if they can be part of boss drops so yheres more to look forward to while farming the instances!
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You need those insanely ridiculous bunny rabbits with unicorn horns that stab people.
    Seriously, it's a thing.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    emmrossemmross Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Love the idea of some kind of swarm that could attack multiple targets, some variation from the now standard humanoid/canine companions.
  • Options
    silentraven72silentraven72 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Love those! Especially the crows and squirrels :)
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It would be fun but no-one is going to choose to use them in place of a augment pet so dev time might be better spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm all for a complete companion system overhaul. Your idea of making more diverse companion types is a good starting point for a big change, but it can go further.

Make companions useful both as summoned entities, and as taskable assets. Make some companion-related dungeons (where you play with a party of companions, we know Cryptic can do this because it's how STO works, one player character and 4 officers) that drop cool companion-related stuff. Make companion stats meaningful (AFAIK some don't function properly, and most are severely capped at 500). Add more companion-specific slots.
  • Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I like the concept, but I don't think it's feasible unless they do something about the overall squishiness of active pets. The current pets cannot survive for long in dungeons, pretty much forcing everyone to use only augment. Some of the pet's attributes need to
    apply to the master - definitely not to the level of augment companions, but some reasonable percentage.

Also, companions can sometimes cause unwanted agro. If there would be some way to force active companions into passive or reactive mode, it would be ok.