Install Arc

The war on gold spammers and botting.

13»

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    k3ll0 wrote: »
    What a hassle.
    You must have a poor e-mail provider then -- at&t I simply click a couple menus and type in a new disposable address and am done. I've got about 30 of them set up already.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    You must have a poor e-mail provider then -- at&t I simply click a couple menus and type in a new disposable address and am done. I've got about 30 of them set up already.

So now I have to waste my time setting up fake emails to fight bots? For something that's going to have zero impact?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Nope. Alternate email addresses are modern necessities, not conveniences for MMOs. I have an entire battery of alternate accounts. I never give websites core email addresses. Even this account uses an ancillary email address.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    So now I have to waste my time setting up fake emails to fight bots? For something that's going to have zero impact?
    It's not rocket science.
    http://www.guerillamail.org/
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    IMO the entire binding RP thing isnt just to fight bots..maybe they are planing to reduce the gear difference between player or to slow things down before the next mod..meaning those player that rely on AD to get gear things up gonna get hindered while player that rely on farming gonna catch up..like what happen in mod 4, ppl tend to use AD to gear up pretty fast causing stress in pvp community with huge gear difference..binding Rp will slow those people down while giving poor player a chance to catch up..just my humble opinion
  • killzone2xkillzone2x Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kangkeok wrote: »
    IMO the entire binding RP thing isnt just to fight bots..maybe they are planing to reduce the gear difference between player or to slow things down before the next mod..meaning those player that rely on AD to get gear things up gonna get hindered while player that rely on farming gonna catch up..like what happen in mod 4, ppl tend to use AD to gear up pretty fast causing stress in pvp community with huge gear difference..binding Rp will slow those people down while giving poor player a chance to catch up..just my humble opinion

Actually it will be the reverse. The high end players have been stocking up on RP for months. They will instantly have legendary offhands and amulets.

The "regular" player base will be hurt pretty badly by this change.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    killzone2x wrote: »
    Actually it will be the reverse. The high end players have been stocking up on RP for months. They will instantly have legendary offhands and amulets.

The "regular" player base will be hurt pretty badly by this change.

This.

Numbers? ATM high end players have between three and four figures worth of stacks. They'll sell many, make HUGE profits (especially if these changes go through), level any artifacts they please to Legendary status, rinse, and repeat for next mod's gear cycle.

Normal players pay a lot for artifact gear every single mod. Cryptic's changes mean they'll pay more and have fewer sources of AD income. Double whammy.

Elite players get free artifact gear. Cryptic's changes mean they'll still get free gear and make even more AD.

Bots? They'll simply switch enchantments/tasks and continue making AD hand over fist.

Normal players are the only category harmed.
  • truelokastertruelokaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This.

Numbers? ATM high end players have between three and four figures worth of stacks. They'll sell many, make HUGE profits (especially if these changes go through), level any artifacts they please to Legendary status, rinse, and repeat for next mod's gear cycle.

Normal players pay a lot for artifact gear every single mod. Cryptic's changes mean they'll pay more and have fewer sources of AD income. Double whammy.

Elite players get free artifact gear. Cryptic's changes mean they'll still get free gear and make even more AD.

Bots? They'll simply switch enchantments/tasks and continue making AD hand over fist.

Normal players are the only category harmed.

What do you mean by Elite players get free artifact?
    edited November 2014
    Poor choice of words on my part. They're not free. Elite players simply make far more profit than they spend on artifacts. Their capital increases while normal players spend their capital on refining points.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    What do you mean by Elite players get free artifact?

Some rich folks I know have so many stacks of Peridots, Resonance Stones, Lesser Res that they lag out if they open their mailbox. This is on all their characters. So we are talking about enough enchants to make 40 or 50 legendary artifacts. Once this change goes live, they will only need to sell a fraction of their hoard and will end up with more AD than when they bought up all these refining stones. Essentially the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

This is a BAD way to try to stop the bots. The non rich legitimate players are going to get burned badly.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    chrcore wrote: »
    Essentially the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

It's like the REAL world. I play this game to escape the real world... </head_desk>
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    About the legality -

Technically the bots are in violation of the TOS - which is a contract. Violating the ToS is a breach of contract, and yes it's not "Criminal" but they probably could sue you. The problem is the transaction costs are prohibited.

Now, they run the servers and run the environment. I suspect that I and all you don't actually "own" anything in the game, rather we own a liscence to use them in game, which could be revoked at the liscenee's discression. Now obviously they don't ban you without a very good cause, because the damage to their PR would be severe (theoritically).

However i know people who have had their accounts temporarily banned due to the spark exploit and then had accounter permanently banned due to the resonantor exploit.

*snip*.
    the TOS states you may not sell anything for real world money. Since you do not own any of the items but merely have access to them ingame. It is buying and selling of stolen goods.
    captha or similar, check at start of Arcane reservoir and foundries. Picture only, in case someone gets smart with voice recognition software
  • catisiouscatisious Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2014
    Just remember devs, your dedicated players and payers would LOVE to smite those #*&@)* a$$ spammers off the map. Give us something to work with, other than reporting and ignoring.
  • maxibestmaxibest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited November 2014
    It is very easy for cryptic to stop most of the bot spam in chat. An intern programmer could do it. A more advanced scrypt could even flag the account for review or suspend it, and it would still be very easy to do.

I dont know why they dont solve their problems in the most simple way, instead they come up with "RP BoA" which is clearly a bad move.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    maxibest wrote: »
    It is very easy for cryptic to stop most of the bot spam in chat. An intern programmer could do it. A more advanced scrypt could even flag the account for review or suspend it, and it would still be very easy to do.

Really? Doing what exactly? Filtering is a never ending arms race, so how do you easily stop chat spam??
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Really? Doing what exactly? Filtering is a never ending arms race, so how do you easily stop chat spam??

Filtering just makes them more annoying... rather than www.imspamminggold.com (fake obviously :P) it gets weird and full of symbols and fills your chat even faster (\/\/\/.1|v|2P4|v||v|1|\|660|_|>.(0|v| or something almost unintellegible, but yet even more annoying).

Also, the more you filter and the more other, legal users, find it hard to use chat.
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Filtering just makes them more annoying... rather than www.imspamminggold.com (fake obviously :P) it gets weird and full of symbols and fills your chat even faster (\/\/\/.1|v|2P4|v||v|1|\|660|_|>.(0|v| or something almost unintellegible, but yet even more annoying).

Also, the more you filter and the more other, legal users, find it hard to use chat.

Your argument amounts to "They will do it anyways so we shouldn't try to stop them."
    I block bots when I see em , so it wouldn't matter if they were writing WWW.Iamspamgoldalldayerryday.com
    or if they spammed it as you wrote it.
    The plus side is that it is hard to read , and the harder to read it is the less people will be able to find it.
    The less people that can find it , the less they make, the less they make, the less money they have to make new bots.

And really how many ways can you write a site name?
    After it got filtered 50 or so times, whatever they could write would be so far from what the site name is that it would be tough to decipher.