test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What are the pros and cons of playing on test server

ashkedawnashkedawn Member Posts: 113 Arc User
I saw Akro playing on test server today with the new warlock paragon path. But I wonder what the drawbacks to playing on test are, particularly if you start a new toon. I heard that you can't use zen on test? Is there an AH that is active? Are there any differences in play?

Or is the only difference that it is a test server with early access to new class balance, zones and so on that may be bugged or not in their final state? So pros and cons?
Post edited by ashkedawn on

Comments

• Options
    notsheriffsrsnotsheriffsrs Banned Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Are you serious with this thread?...
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nothing on the test server is permanent - expect that you character may be wiped out at any time. Said character's powers, items, levels, etc, may be changed/removed/reset at any time and for any reason or no reason.

Note that the above may *never* happen, but you are likely to be impacted by one of the above at some point.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    ashkedawnashkedawn Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes I am serious, I have never played on a test server before. So it's like if you were playing an alpha then....everything should be considered temporary. It's not a substitute for the actual servers in any way at all then.

Thanks. As I said I have never played on a test server and so was not really aware...at all...of what it actually entailed.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashkedawn wrote: »
    Yes I am serious, I have never played on a test server before. So it's like if you were playing an alpha then....everything should be considered temporary. It's not a substitute for the actual servers in any way at all then.

Thanks. As I said I have never played on a test server and so was not really aware...at all...of what it actually entailed.

It's a way for the devs to get players to help out with the testing - they load a potential future build of the game onto it, and see how powers/abilities/new areas work during more realistic play...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    You get to preview the bugs that will be released when the patch goes live.

And also YOLO-FOTM your character (or roll another one) before everyone else does.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    And also YOLO-FOTM your character (or roll another one) before everyone else does.
    haha this.

And you can also discover a broken build and hold it for yourself! ;)
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
  • Options
    thenakedbananathenakedbanana Member Posts: 86
    edited October 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    You get to preview the bugs that will be released when the patch goes live.

LMFAO xD love that comment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication
    or other information which may be considered objectionable.
    A Tool used by those with power to stay in power.
    I object to your objection
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    The only Con I know is that they provide you the worst testing conditions ever.

They let you test whatever you want for them but they won't let you test stuff that you may want to test for yourself. Between a Preview shard that resets every week but provides access to any feature for testing purposes and the current Preview shard, the first option sounds like heaven. I'd love to know how my character would look like if he was a Tiefling but they won't let me do that, and I'm not ensured that I'll be satisfied if I change it on live.

Sometimes they provide access to the campaigns or to new classes but they want us to go through the leveling or the progression by spending hours and days in a test server that can delete your character at any time.

There are P2P games that let their customers test in the test servers FOR FREE (they don't have to be paying monthly to enter in the server) and they're, in no way, penalized for giving that favor for their users, because the test servers only open when there's a new patch on the way. And yes, they can change their races, create characters at max level and even start with a decent gear to test stuff not only for the game but to know what's better for themselves too.

This kind of treatment always make me want to avoid entering in the Preview shard.
    (´・ ω ・`)