test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AoE in Shores of Tuern?

phargynphargyn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
Has anyone else noticed that in the shores of Tuern skirmish,.... it doesn't matter if you are in the AoE of an attack or if you are outside it,... if you get targeted - you will take full damage?

I thought it might have just been me?.... (or connection or server lag),.... but today I thought I would test it. Playing a HR. I was targeted in one of the red circles,... and managed to get off marauder's escape well before the attack was launched. I was on the other side of the battleground - completely across from the target area - when the AoE was launched (not landed) and still took full damage?....

The only way I can seem to avoid taking full damage if Fox's Cunning is active and it says that I 'dodged',... Otherwise,... movement or no movement - if I get targeted,... I'm toast (literally,...it's a fire attack. =/ )

For a class who's primary defense is (as myagi would say) 'not get hit'...... this makes living through the boss fight,... impossible.

Anyway,... just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this?.... and if Kix will check to see if the coding is right,... or if it's been miscoded so the damage follows the target?

I should mention that it's not just the damage,.... in the test in question,... I was knocked down and proned,... without any blast,... anywhere near me?...... nothing,... lol
Post edited by phargyn on

Comments

• Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is most likely lag. The game server still sees your position as within the AOE when it takes effect and it does no sanity check with the client to see if you were in the affect area before applying damage. Also it has some AOE bounding issues where you can physically be hit several feet outside the "splat" mark. This problem exists in all the new content it seems and hopefully can be adjusted at some point.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    It is most likely lag. The game server still sees your position as within the AOE when it takes effect and it does no sanity check with the client to see if you were in the affect area before applying damage. Also it has some AOE bounding issues where you can physically be hit several feet outside the "splat" mark. This problem exists in all the new content it seems and hopefully can be adjusted at some point.

All of this is good solid observation. One thing worth mentioning in addition is that not only is the damage area larger than the red "splat", remember also that collision detection for the AoE is with the blue circle around your feet, not the character model. Thus, make sure there's even a healthy gap between the blue circle and the red "splat".