test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Armor pen around 1k enough for a pve CW build?!

rokinho986rokinho986 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited October 2014 in The Library
I saw it several times, cws with armor pen under 1k ***without any debuf from their gear or from party members***, hitting the tough adds(PK brutes, boss, whateva...) and not having dmg mitigated. Now, from what i read tough adds and bosses have mitigation between 20-24%(i actually tested it a couple months ago, it was accurate, idk about the new campaings or about any change in the meantime) which means that you should get resistance ignored to 20-24%(around 2,5k armor pen for cws) to completely ignore their mitigation. 1k armor pen is around 10% resistance ignored... So, can anyone in the know explain to me how is that possible?
Post edited by rokinho986 on

Comments

• letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just get your armor pen to 2,540 and you're done. Dump the rest to other stats.
    those 1k armp is only good in t2s where there are tons of trash. In the new duns and skirmish you'll fall behind in dps if you do not boost your armor pen to its hv cap.
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you are using a HV set and GPF, you can probably pull off maybe 1.6k Arp? I still recommend building about 2.4k Arp for all PVE CWs, and 2.5-2.7k for all PVP CWs...
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you are using a HV set and GPF, you can probably pull off maybe 1.6k Arp? I still recommend building about 2.4k Arp for all PVE CWs, and 2.5-2.7k for all PVP CWs...

FYI what you are saying is not quite correct. HV and GPF have no impact on the need to stack ARP to proper levels.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I'm wondering if you do stack greater red dragon glyphs, what AP would a CW need for PVE or PVP?
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They say CWs aren't supposed to DPS anymore. So there is little reason for arp, crit, or even power.
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    24% arp is inefficient, as CW DPS is almost all AOE, and that only effects very few monsters.

20% is maximum efficiency. This is around 1950 arp. Less is bad, more is bad. Try to be on the dot.
  • angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    22% is the way to go. 24% for single target boss fights (MC/VT/LOL/the new skirmish).

Mobs with less than 22% dmg reduction will likely be dead in one rotation of a group. If your really just chasing pain giver with no regard to actual group performance, you can go less than 22%. If you want to provide the best speed on a run 22%.
  • hulksmashtrololhulksmashtrolol Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    22% is the way to go. 24% for single target boss fights (MC/VT/LOL/the new skirmish).

Mobs with less than 22% dmg reduction will likely be dead in one rotation of a group. If your really just chasing pain giver with no regard to actual group performance, you can go less than 22%. If you want to provide the best speed on a run 22%.

really doesn't matter. 1k, 1.5k, whatever you want. Anything less than 20% DR in old dungeons dies to just steal time or just Icy terrain from the procs alone. Anything with 20% or more dies from casting the other spell. Really high hp mobs you may also need to cast sudden storm, but by that time the other people in your party have probably dealt some damage too and its already dead anyway.

in the new dungeons with mobs with more hp than a storm spell proc does in damage, you could actually put some thought into how you should build your character and what stats to pick.
    edited October 2014
    really doesn't matter. 1k, 1.5k, whatever you want. Anything less than 20% DR in old dungeons dies to just steal time or just Icy terrain from the procs alone. Anything with 20% or more dies from casting the other spell. Really high hp mobs you may also need to cast sudden storm, but by that time the other people in your party have probably dealt some damage too and its already dead anyway.

in the new dungeons with mobs with more hp than a storm spell proc does in damage, you could actually put some thought into how you should build your character and what stats to pick.

Lol... kill 5 tough enemies... with one cast of steal time xD Occasionally you might have to use icy terrian XD.

Though honestly man, if you are min/maxing, 20% is most efficient.
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    why 20%? shouldnt it be 18% or 22% as per mob type?

I was aiming for 22% (21.5% atm) to negate dr on all stuff except on bosses, as elites are pretty comon in pulls too.
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I use 24%.

You can say what you want, I prefer to get the best use of ArP before getting Power, since it scales terribly.
    (´・ ω ・`)
    edited October 2014
    The amount of mobs that actually require more than 20% are small. Say we clear CN. There is 10.5M HP on bosses, yet approximately 110M on everything else.

So you get the benefit of 500 points arp on less than 10% of the mobs, so that' 4% damage on 10%, for an overall DPS increase of about .4%.

Now say we put those 500 points into power, which is 3% compared to 0 power. Now, sure you already have a good amount of power, so maybe this increases your DPS 1.5%

Therefore, over the course of a run, 500 points power is more efficient than 500 points armor pen since 1.5 > .4

I know these numbers are very rough, but the difference is great enough for them to be illustrative.
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    The amount of mobs that actually require more than 20% are small. Say we clear CN. There is 10.5M HP on bosses, yet approximately 110M on everything else.

So you get the benefit of 500 points arp on less than 10% of the mobs, so that' 4% damage on 10%, for an overall DPS increase of about .4%.

The problem is that the trash mob is just... trash mob. You don't need to min-max it because nobody wipes in the trash mobs.

However, even min-maxing players can wipe on bosses because of silly mistakes. I'm sure you already experienced that wipe when the boss is at 5% or less.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    neighhh, stack to 24%!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]