test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scribes Enclave: Monthly Mini Contests

zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Foundry
Hello again foundry friends! Scribes' Enclave has been quiet, but we're still here. A couple months ago, we began having Monthly Mini Contests to encourage activity, as well as help authors practice using different features of the foundry editor.

These contests are open to all Recruits and Members of SE, which means if you'd like to participate, you are not required to go through the full membership process to do so. Just sign up on our site, and you're in! If you're already a Member or a Recruit, just log in and take a look at our Monthly Mini Contest forum.

Remember, these are Mini contests. They are not intended to produce a complete quest, only to use a certain feature of the editor each month. Some of our entrants have chosen to use their entries to build new quests from, which is great! This contest's purpose is to encourage creativity and learning of the editor.

October's Mini Contest Theme: Best Human Costume
This month's contest is for best costume created from a Human NPC. The focus will be on the costume, but you may also include animations, dialog, and scenery to enhance the costume. It can be pretty, funny, creepy, use your imagination! You may use any map, and any type of decorations, details, and other NPCs.

September's Mini Contest Theme: Best Decorated Building

August's Mini Contest Theme: Best Picnic Table
Post edited by zbkolde on

Comments

• bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    You say we are allowed to use other NPCs. What if there were more than one human NPC in the map? This would SEEM to allow people to "hedge their bets" by making more than one cool costume. Or should be have to include which NPC is out actual entry?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    You say we are allowed to use other NPCs. What if there were more than one human NPC in the map? This would SEEM to allow people to "hedge their bets" by making more than one cool costume. Or should be have to include which NPC is out actual entry?

Yes, you have to indicate which NPC is the actual entry. The details are in the Theme and Info thread as always, this is just a general announcement. :)
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what our fellow authors and scribes can come up with for this month's Mini Contest.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yay fun!!! Can't wait to see the creativity.

Just so folks have an idea of how the contests have been going, September Mini Monthly Contest Winner, by me, The Discovered Hideout:
    decoratedhouse_zps0effa9f2.jpg

This was a great mental exercise to take something common and make it your own. All unique twists included. And it doesn't have to be a complete foundry either. Just a bite size sample of awesome. :)
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
    edited October 2014
    As a sample, this is my entry for October. Remember, these are mini contests.

Cadilynn of the Rhimb
    @koldelegacy
    NW-DDGFMDZG2

201410-Cadilynn1_zps6d4a2871.jpg~original
    edited November 2014
    ~ * ~ Scribes' Enclave ~ * ~
    ~ * ~ November/December 2014 Mini Contest ~ * ~

This month's contest is for:
    * Best Winter Home *

Due to Module 5: Rise of Tiamat coming in November, and the holiday season, the November and December contests will be combined to allow more time for entries, and more time for voting.

The November/December contest will be for a decorated winter home, built from a specific room from the foundry catalog. Your winter home can be decorated however you like: for the holidays, a hunting lodge, survival of the winter, use your imagination! As you're decorating and preparing your own home for the upcoming winter, you can decorate one here too.

Scribes' Enclave Monthly Mini Contests are open to all Members and Recruits! Visit our site for more information.
    edited December 2014
    Here is a sample from this month's (combined with last month) mini contest. My entries are not in any way the best, but i try to enter something each month just for an additional example of the use of assets. I'd love to boast and show off the entries of other members, but SE is built around privacy, so it is not my place to do so.

But, other members are more than welcome to boast their own entries. ;) *cough cough*

Gracie's House
    @koldelegacy
    NW-DDGFMDZG2

201412-WinterHome1_zpsf3de1449.jpg~original

P.S. This screen shot purposely hides the "holiday" portion of my winter home. You have to go inside to see that. ;)
  • idiotamongusidiotamongus Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have only been involved in the Foundry community for about a month or two, however, I didn't know there was an organized collection of other "real" reviewers (The one's who know what they're doing). Since I became involved in the Foundry, I've always been interested in finding new content to review (or preview).

Aside from the contests, is there any way to become part of this collective or community without having to enter the contests? I.e. an initiation process or just log into the website? I'm eager to see what there is.
    Neverwinter
    STO
    Smite
    SWTOR
  • branwentheravenbranwentheraven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have only been involved in the Foundry community for about a month or two, however, I didn't know there was an organized collection of other "real" reviewers (The one's who know what they're doing). Since I became involved in the Foundry, I've always been interested in finding new content to review (or preview).

Aside from the contests, is there any way to become part of this collective or community without having to enter the contests? I.e. an initiation process or just log into the website? I'm eager to see what there is.

To join Scribe's Enclave you have to apply as a Recruit, you become a full fledged member once you gain 3 sponsor points - by reviewing people's quests, knowing them from other facets of the community, etc.

Here's the link to the recruit's forum and Kolde's instructions for joining.
    You'll have to have (or make) a guild launch account to apply for membership.
    edited December 2014

Just as Branwen said. :) (Thank you, Branwen.) The contests are just something we started doing to give everyone something to tinker with between projects, to spark ideas and keep a hand in it, as they say. Becoming a full member is easy, and it's likely you already have sponsor points available, as i've seen you do some reviews here on the public forums for a few of our members already. :)
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Definitely just to have fun and tinker!
    I had that old 80's song stuck in my head building this. "...just dancin' on the ceiling". Ugh. Holidays with the Thayans!

3dd95b20-249a-4ad4-86b0-4b8a5cbe729c_zps4c010993.jpg
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
    edited December 2014
    Screenshots from my entry, "Gracie's House." I tied for 2nd place, but I really shouldn't have, other entries were a lot better than mine. We need more people to come and vote for our contests.

201412-WinterHome2_zps62d39bb2.jpg~original

201412-WinterHome3_zpsf6062293.jpg~original
    edited January 2015
    ~ * ~ Scribes' Enclave ~ * ~
    ~ * ~ January 2015 Mini Contest ~ * ~

This month's contest is for:
    * Best Campfire *

This month's contest is for decoration of the Respawn Point campfire. You may use any map, and any type of decorations, details, and NPCs. You may enhance the appearance of the campfire with surrounding items, or cover the campfire with other items to hide it.
    201501-Campfire_zpsc1c7ffe9.jpg~original

Complete rules and instructions are found on the Scribes' Enclave forums. Participation and voting is open to anyone registered on our site, full membership is not required.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's some screenshots from my winning entry last month "Best Winter Home."

BBQ, "refrigerator," sitting room, entryway
    639ef0fd1f8bb1edb7b3d94831641341.gif

Meditation Garden
    663e3711805bb6b00aac1ac135a5e486.gif

Story Telling in the Living Room
    6b95a276427fa7c0e2ba81f7dc9076c6.gif