test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

SW Great Success in ToD?

mungsumungsu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
edited October 2014 in The Nine Hells
Has anyone achieved a great success in a dragon fight in ToD? I've been doing ToD with my SW since ToD went live and have yet to get anything but a normal success. Last night I finally ran a dragon fight with my GF and got a great success first time.

This got me wondering since in skirmishes my SW usually ranks #1 or #2 in pain giving or number of kills and the way he melts bosses in Sharandar and Dread Ring, I know he puts out a lot of damage. I've even had dragon fights where I was soloing or with one other player for the first few minutes and could see the damage I was putting out. Still no joy.

If other people are getting great success then I probably just need to change tactics. Otherwise something might be weird for SWs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The problem is probably with your rotation and/or build.

Here are a few things that will greatly increase your chance of getting Great Success:
    1. Make sure you have 24% resistance ignored, a lot of ppl neglect this, even though it's the most important stat for any dps build.
    2. Don't use TT on single target, it does nothing, use either Brood of Hadar or Flames of Phlegetos, but not TT unless you're farming Vilithrax (Whispering Caverns).

A simple yet very effective encounter rotation, for single target fights, is the following: tab, killing flames, tab, warlock's bargain, dreadtheft.

Also, a perfect vorpal helps a lot in single target fights.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I get it always with my Temptation Warlock unless I´m lag-paralyzed for most of the fight.

I use Flames of Phlegethos, Warlock´s Bargain, Dreadtheft, Blades of the Vanquished Army, Hand of Blight and spend almost all the time in melee with the Dragon. I guess I get Great Success via healing.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have a sub-60 SW, and only ran one dragon encounter with it... didn't get a great success.

But, I have run numerous dragon encounters with my main TR, and get Great Successes often.. and in general.... a Great success means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!

The only difference between a Heroic (Normal) Success and a Great Success is the rank of the Draconic Enchantment.
    Normal gives you a Rank 3, and Great gives a rank 4..... big whoop-de-doo!!!! :mad:

I've gotten a few nice things... the draconic head gear, and top... one draconic weapon... and 2 pieces of the Draconic armor set...

Everything good is locked behind the RNG...

So achieving a Great Success, does not guarantee a nice item.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If I don't get a Great Success, then something went wrong... Though I am a Fury spec designed for DPS.
    va8Ru.gif
  • nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am a Temp Warlock and get a great sucess allmost every time (maybe not in whispering caverns - some powerfull people there)

Even without a weapon enchantment i think it is possible. Especially on a Temp SW as your healing numbers count
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If I don't get a Great Success, then something went wrong... Though I am a Fury spec designed for DPS.

I am with kilatmaster on this one. I am actually shocked and my mouth drops when I don't.

Also know there are only X number of great success slots per encounter.
  • leandreav1leandreav1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I get it all the time. The tricks above all help, but getting hurt seems to count too. Try standing on red circles *after* they have exploded. Getting hurt seems to help.
  • mungsumungsu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a fury build and use Phlegetos, killing flames, warlock's bargain and used to use dreadtheft. Lately I've switched to melee with hand of blight since it does nice damage in melee and I'm also taking damage, which I hear is part of the great success calculation. Except on Vilithrax of course, he does a little too much damage :D

I have noticed in some other threads that Temptation build do well, probably because of the healing.

I'll have to check my resistance percentage. That may need some work. I could probably tweak my build a little but I'm going to wait for a few weeks to see if they nerf anything. The one-on-one damage that the SW does is amazing and I'm guessing that someone is going to the think we shouldn't be having this much fun.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I have only ever not achieved Great Sucess on the dragons on my SW when I was tabbed out to windows and forgot to tab back in time :D

Remember to Curse, Gift, and then Dreadtheft so the curse isn't consumed by the first tick. Pop Killing Flames when you can, and Flames Of Big Vomity Skull. Avoid red. Even as a fresh 60, this seemed to work just wonderfully.

I'm in danger of repeating myself, so more info on stats, and rotation here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?758621-The-Fury-Warlock-melty-faces-and-you

Don't worry, it's possible to do really good sustained single target DPS on the SW. Once you get the hang of it, you'll get that GS every time.. and still no belt :D
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As a tempt warlock, I get it pretty much all the time. Only time I wouldn't if it was about to fall over dead and I get a hit or 2 in.

I always use warlocks bargain, fiery bolt and dread theft on single target bosses, including dragons. Hand of Blight and and Hellish Rebuke. I use Flames of Phlegethos. Hardly ever drop a TT during a dragon fight, the trash dies fast enough with all the people around or I round them up into my DT beam while targeted on the dragon.

As for great success results, I enjoy five of those dragon coins and a r3/4 enchant :rolleyes:
    Have yet to see the artifact belt or artifact trinket.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    alkemist80 wrote: »
    As a tempt warlock, I get it pretty much all the time. Only time I wouldn't if it was about to fall over dead and I get a hit or 2 in.

I always use warlocks bargain, fiery bolt and dread theft on single target bosses, including dragons. Hand of Blight and and Hellish Rebuke. I use Flames of Phlegethos. Hardly ever drop a TT during a dragon fight, the trash dies fast enough with all the people around or I round them up into my DT beam while targeted on the dragon.

As for great success results, I enjoy five of those dragon coins and a r3/4 enchant :rolleyes:
    Have yet to see the artifact belt or artifact trinket.

This also applies for fury SW as well, (which I play). Also, I wouldn't be too worried about getting great success or not on dragons, the loot pool is really THAT bad... Just take ur daily's and move on, that's what I do, maybe someday ull get lucky and a belt or artifact will drop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]