test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fix PVP once and for all

cvk777cvk777 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PvE Discussion
by making a GS based matching system with a checkup on your GS if it changed before and after you enter arena and by disallowing gear change when inside arena (to prevent undergearing just for the queue). It will fix the issue with 6k GS ppl fighting 20k pvp geared ppl and whining after on forums that other classes are too OP. It will fix the "ok, no way we can do anything, lets stay at campfire" attitude which actually sux for both teams.
If we would start from there, then any class balancing could make any sense. Right now its just random changes which <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off evryone they concern. It would discourage going to arena in precomposed OP party because of high probabilty that you would need to wait long for queue to pop up and in the end you will meet same GS opponents as you are.
I would suggest GS lvls: lvl60-8kGS, 8k-12k, 12k-15k, 15k-18k, 18k-20k, 20k+
Post edited by cvk777 on

Comments

• Options
    adsfelipeadsfelipe Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i Disagree.. i play all this time to be strong.. (Im 15k gs now).. and i want to kick some *%#!!!

if u weak.. go play and make your way up.. i like the pvp.. just think need more maps and diferent batlles... ( capture the flag)...

if they implement your idea;; i stoped play months ago.. becouse dont need to up my gear
    i'm pvp player.. dont care about pve..
  • Options
    thirdquestionthirdquestion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 96
    edited October 2014
    Who care about balance ?:D They nerf CW's all time and never NEVER touch HR's, why? Cuz 80% ppls - HR's :D
  • Options
    yoadoadyoadoad Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    adsfelipe wrote: »
    i Disagree.. i play all this time to be strong.. (Im 15k gs now).. and i want to kick some *%#!!!

if u weak.. go play and make your way up.. i like the pvp.. just think need more maps and diferent batlles... ( capture the flag)...

if they implement your idea;; i stoped play months ago.. becouse dont need to up my gear
    i'm pvp player.. dont care about pve..
    What's wrong? Afraid to have a SKILL based PvP? Well luckily for you there's no Zen to Skill exchange so don't expect it to change :)
  • Options
    ravenanravenan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No gs based backets (gs means shi.)! 3 Backets: Newbie, veteran, master. You start your pvp advanture in newbie backet and play only with ppl from there. You winning you advance to higher one. You win a lot you go higher, you loose you drop. Always playing with ppl from the same backet.
    Main : GF - Lord Kruk
    Steel and Magic
  • Options
    nithaliknithalik Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Instead of doing that how implementing a decent ladder system for ranked play with no team que's allowed max of two people queueing together. Players can play in brackets and work their way up, it will naturally work out the tiers and keep people playing against other people of the same gear and/or skill level. Also there could be team brackets were players create a team and can have maybe a max of 10 people on it (5 subs).
  • Options
    rotatorkufrotatorkuf Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ravenan wrote: »
    No gs based backets (gs means shi.)! 3 Backets: Newbie, veteran, master. You start your pvp advanture in newbie backet and play only with ppl from there. You winning you advance to higher one. You win a lot you go higher, you loose you drop. Always playing with ppl from the same backet.

this is an interesting idea
  • Options
    malachimabemalachimabe Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yeah i don't understand the thought process of people paying like 300+ IRL dollars in this game to get their GearScore High 16K+ just to 5v1 10ks.

you won't believe how many 17ks are afraid to take on a 14k TR.

pay2 win or pay2getcarried?
    bi6w07.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Guys, i got over 18k GS in BI set.. i get rally frustrated if i see 6-9k GS members in my pt if the team has the minimum of 15k gs.. i cean easily crush 15k GS enemies, but not when im the only one trying.. if lowbies enter and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, they just stay and the campfire saying "it will all be over soon". Same thing when my team is op, match system wont give us much glory or fun for winning 1000-43. And what about all the complaing that "he killed me, he is OP". Devs listen to these ppl and nerf classes. Dont you guys rlly want to make some improvments to this game?

I see no reason not to have arena FFA - where u can bring all the GS in the world against 6k niblingz, but there should be allso alternative queue for GS based matches.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014

Actually, that is a great idea.

I have seen 16k players play like absolute idiots, dying to players that have as much as 4k less GS. I've watched three 14k idiots try and fight the TR at our home node. GS does not necessarily mean you know what is going on in PVP.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    barroso986barroso986 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you pug exclusively you won't enjoy pvp in this game
  • Options
    malachimabemalachimabe Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    barroso986 wrote: »
    If you pug exclusively you won't enjoy pvp in this game

see this is the problem

you should be able to enjoy pvp in a game for those who haven't relied on american express for character development.

i.e. they put gs requirements on dungeons why not put it on pvp but in levels of pvp brackets.

5-10k = T1 PvP Bracket

11-15k= T2 PvP Bracket

16+=T2.5 PvP Bracket

Its soo frustrating fighting a premade of 16k+ when I have 4 5-11k gs on my team. I can't 5v1 a win.
    bi6w07.png
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I pug exclusively and I enjoyed PVP a lot before module 4. Pug vs Premade wouldn't be the suck fest it is if the premades weren't all using <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> glyphs and builds designed to exploit them.
  • Options
    andikttnandikttn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Gear score doesn't determine a players abilities. Just came out of pvp with a 2 control wizards and 2 trickster rogues. All four of them had a GS of 8K-12K, and I have 15K GS. I know for a fact three of the players on the opposite team had 18-21K GS from PVP'ing all the time. Gear score ranking doesn't mean much to me. It means you may or may not have better stats or be stronger, but if you know how to use your toon, and so does the rest of your party, you will survive. Personally, I am not worried about gear score. I am more concerned with the cheater with these glyphs.
    51zWV8f.png
    ńèЪùŁâ 70 acDC
    Nubula, Scrubula, Nutella, Ebola
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cvk777 wrote: »
    I would suggest GS lvls: lvl60-8kGS, 8k-12k, 12k-15k, 15k-18k, 18k-20k, 20k+

Are there enough pvp-ers for that?
    As I see it, they currently do have an algorithm for the pvp queue. It's not random. For some reason this algorithm creates matchups which, 95% of the time, are unbalanced. Even when it's PUG vs PUG, the created matchup is always unbalanced. The obvious suggestion would be to just desactivate any kind of algorithm and to queue people as they come.
  • Options
    ikapamkikapamk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 294 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014

I can get behind this. I've randomed some very frustratingly low GS teams that pretty much gave up (even against a low GS team that knew what they were doing).

I've also randomed a team with 1 21k against mostly <10k and yes, it was a slaughterfest.

The best game I've had recently was actually a scattered mix within ~ 2k of me on either side (13k att). Everyone knew what they were doing, had good strategy and competition, and no one had the massive advantage of GS.

So, I think there needs to be a modicum of both. I think Ravenam's idea will end up filtering like the ideal, as most of the BiSers will rapidly advance to the top tier, but there's no guarantee.
    Carpe Jugulum
    Sharra Del'Armgo - SW Trapper Hybrid HR
    Ogghra Bar'Ghuzumn - MI Scoundrel TR
    Vænna Thrymskjöldr - IV Protector GF
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »
    Are there enough pvp-ers for that?
    As I see it, they currently do have an algorithm for the pvp queue. It's not random. For some reason this algorithm creates matchups which, 95% of the time, are unbalanced. Even when it's PUG vs PUG, the created matchup is always unbalanced. The obvious suggestion would be to just desactivate any kind of algorithm and to queue people as they come.

I dont know if there are enought pvp-ers for that, but im am sure there would be. Right now most ppl I know hate pvp and dont attend, because most of the time you get lowbies against high GS pt. And as i said and will repeat. Offering an arena with GS based matches, doesnt imply removing FFA arena. At worse case scenario one of these 2, GS based and the current one would be empty.. but I realy doubt that would be the case.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Who care about balance ?:D They nerf CW's all time and never NEVER touch HR's, why? Cuz 80% ppls - HR's :D

CWs are still VERY strong in PvP.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How about a "hidden ranking system" used to decide who gets pitted against who, similar to systems used in more competitive games.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    i can't stress enough the idea they have to separate endgame pvp for the future

think of the potential match ups between 10k 60s against 30 or 40k 60s
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think the elo ranking was design to do that
    but instead of waiting, it put on the first party there is
    (looking how strong the first gaunt delzons are, I have a feeling this elo system give priority to the strongest players to join first...)

the problem is that if you are weak you can do nothing, not even move (so you end up waiting near the camp fire)
    and so far its just getting worse
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    currently GS is not and will not be a part of the matchmaking. but as was previously mentioned, the match-ups are based on who is queued at any given moment and how long the system is going to wait before it pushes them into a match together. if there were a hundred individuals queued, there would be better matching taking place but i don't think that's happening. there may be moments when this happens but the way that the devs have talked about "dialing" aspects of the matchmaker, it would seem that the factor is how long the queue is going to wait before throwing a group into a match. so let's say you have twenty individuals all queue at the same time and the system is dialed to wait thirty seconds or forty-five seconds. the system automatically separates the best match out of the twenty. in that time, ten more people queue and the groups are better matched and a new group is matched. in a perfect world, this makes sense but the truth of the matter is groups of ten don't queue at the same time... people queue randomly over time.

logically, this seems to be how the current matchmaking system is set up. and it is a much better system than trying to match by gear score because gear score is not as static as elo ratings. people could easily game the system with GS matchmaking. and as it's been said by the devs, the numbers don't lie: gear score is not the great divider in pvp. it's just not.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    logically, this seems to be how the current matchmaking system is set up. and it is a much better system than trying to match by gear score because gear score is not as static as elo ratings. people could easily game the system with GS matchmaking. and as it's been said by the devs, the numbers don't lie: gear score is not the great divider in pvp. it's just not.

Regardless of all the explanations, one thing remains true:

Newbies at 10K GS should NEVER, EVER encounter veterans at 20K GS.

It's a horrible experience, especially for the low GS players.

This needs to be dealt with. I know for a fact it is possible, from playing other MMOs with a fully functional ELO system that never generated such complaints.

My signature contains a viable and proven to be working way to deal with most PvP-related complaints in these forums.
  • Options
    demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

not really. all they have to do is have a saved record of a person's highest gear-score and only count that for queuing. that way nobody could ever go down a gear-score bracket.

and gear-score is a great divider. i have died in 1 second by a 20k hunter in melee stance (not aimed shot) and other 20k+ hunters who could solo an entire team by themselves while their 4 team-mates sit and relax somewhere. my 9-10k wizard fought a 16k wizard and died from only 2 encounter spells while i only scratched half of their hp.

those are gaps that skill can never make up for. the game is decided by whoever has more geared, undying, or simply overpowered players.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    currently GS is not and will not be a part of the matchmaking. but as was previously mentioned, the match-ups are based on who is queued at any given moment and how long the system is going to wait before it pushes them into a match together. if there were a hundred individuals queued, there would be better matching taking place but i don't think that's happening. there may be moments when this happens but the way that the devs have talked about "dialing" aspects of the matchmaker, it would seem that the factor is how long the queue is going to wait before throwing a group into a match. so let's say you have twenty individuals all queue at the same time and the system is dialed to wait thirty seconds or forty-five seconds. the system automatically separates the best match out of the twenty. in that time, ten more people queue and the groups are better matched and a new group is matched. in a perfect world, this makes sense but the truth of the matter is groups of ten don't queue at the same time... people queue randomly over time.

so, in the future, when we have a possible 50k GS (exaggeration, but bare with the point)

and you still have people coming into level 60 pvp at 10k, or 11 or 12k

it's going to be "much better" to have matches between these two hugely gapped players?

what?

GS DOES play a role....granted, skill will help the lower GS, but the current burst damage and time to kill is so insanely quick....the gear/enchants DO play a role in your chances against another player, before you even begin to fight them....also, just lock equipment change when you queue for pvp, simple, done

you are predetermined to lose against them (as a 12k HR, i have zero chance against a 20k anything, unless it's a really crappy player), unless you have super high "skill" and they don't know how to play their class at all

but, the truly sad part about your post is, what i gather, "deal with it"?
    Regardless of all the explanations, one thing remains true:

Newbies at 10K GS should NEVER, EVER encounter veterans at 20K GS.

It's a horrible experience, especially for the low GS players.

This needs to be dealt with. I know for a fact it is possible, from playing other MMOs with a fully functional ELO system that never generated such complaints.

My signature contains a viable and proven to be working way to deal with most PvP-related complaints in these forums.

^^ this, a million times this, this should NEVER happen
  • Options
    pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Good day:

This makes the absolute most sense in terms of an easy fix to pvp.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Disagree.. Me and many other ppl would like to have GS based matches. The system is not good at all because if it was ppl would like it, wouldnt whine about it and would enjoy pvp. Now only ppl who go to pvp in precomposed parties enjoy matches. I dont want to stomp on lowbies and i dont want to loose matches because of lowbies in my party. It is all about GS, evryone knows it but some ppl dont care and other ppl like to stomp lowbies.
    I will repat again - we dont ask Devs to replace current matching system, we ask for an alternative GS basesd arena. Plz, plz, plz.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    and as it's been said by the devs, the numbers don't lie: gear score is not the great divider in pvp. it's just not.

Its true GS is not everything but it is a HUGE part of the problem. Sure the numbers may show that some games teams with a lower GS win matches but what are the statistics that you mention? Is it a base of total team GS vs team GS? Individual stats you are looking at? There are so many other factors that go into as well such as classes in the game. Some classes can compete better at 15k-16k GS than others can at 20k GS, that could be skewing the statistics. Even if all games are broken down into GS brackets there will be one sided games but there should be less of them and it will also bring proper class balance issues into view.

TBH im not sure the current system is even working. I just played a pvp match where my 20k GWF got placed onto a 4 man premade of all 20k+ players and we went up against a team that was comprised of 12k-15k GS players. Likewise Ive gone up against premade teams of 20k+ and had team mates 10k gs and below. Their is no way these newbies have the same elo as these 20k premade players. So the way I see it the system is either broken or not working.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    nithalik wrote: »
    Their is no way these newbies have the same elo as these 20k premade players. So the way I see it the system is either broken or not working.

The system actually works as designed. It's just badly designed though :)

This is what approximately happens, as an example:

- 3 20K GS, page 1-5 players queue together
    - you queue up solo, system puts you in their party, same goes for some another 15K gs dude
    - system makes checks to find/put together a party at approximate same ELO average
    - system tries, and tries, and it cannot find any high enough ELO players to put in the other party. They are either in another game, either not in queue, or not even online
    - after 2-3 minutes, the system gives up and puts together a party with the best it can find in queue. At that moment, in the queue might be 50 players at 6-12k GS looking to complete their daily for the **** AD.

Result:

Your party at very high ELO average will fight pugs from the page 1000 with PvE gear, rank 5s and no PvP experience. It will be an experience so bad for them, they might never try PvP seriously and hate it forever.

Why did this happen?

- system gave up the search for better matchup very fast (below 5 mins). This is somewhat necessary as you get 30-40 mins queus otherwise and when this happened, the forums wee full of complaints.
    - not nearly enough players doing PvP. You can count instances and players in PvP. It is about 1000, at all levels, 1-60.

Solution?

- Attract more player to PvP with a fair, non-fully gear based system
    - improve matchmaking to be more strict
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The system actually works as designed. It's just badly designed though :)

This is what approximately happens, as an example:

- 3 20K GS, page 1-5 players queue together
    - you queue up solo, system puts you in their party, same goes for some another 15K gs dude
    - system makes checks to find/put together a party at approximate same ELO average
    - system tries, and tries, and it cannot find any high enough ELO players to put in the other party. They are either in another game, either not in queue, or not even online
    - after 2-3 minutes, the system gives up and puts together a party with the best it can find in queue. At that moment, in the queue might be 50 players at 6-12k GS looking to complete their daily for the **** AD.

You seemed to have missed my point. The point is, that this system that they currently have in place, which is "working as designed" is not providing positive results to the players.