test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A few thoughts

harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Just a few of the little niggling annoyances I find contributing to my not being excited to log in beyond grinding dailies at the moment...feel free to chime in.

-Constantly getting drops of L45 pots in 60s-only zones. Why? Do they cost PWE money to put there?

-Same holds true for Rank 3 enchants...seriously?

-Cut scenes, for cryin' out loud if you have thrown the same cut scene in my face X times then stop it already. And no, I do not mean occasions when someone in the party has never seen it before. Over and over, seriously, over and over and over and over...please, stop.

-Dialogue boxes, I'll use Sharandar for example; I pick up a quest, click accept, the dialogue box closes in its own. Good, the way it should work. Turning the same quest in? Open the dialogue box, turn it in, the NPC has nothing more to say to me...does the window close? No, I now need to close it. Use the same logic on turn-in that you do on pickup.

Little things, little things I said. Not game-breaking by any means, but indicative of a "good enough" policy when it comes to spending money on resources. And annoying. Annoying enough that I find myself logging out instead of moving on with something else after I grind...oh yeah, grinds...oh never mind, that's a thread all by itself.
Post edited by harkur on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    harkur wrote: »
    Just a few of the little niggling annoyances I find contributing to my not being excited to log in beyond grinding dailies at the moment...feel free to chime in.

-Constantly getting drops of L45 pots in 60s-only zones. Why? Do they cost PWE money to put there?

-Same holds true for Rank 3 enchants...seriously?

-Cut scenes, for cryin' out loud if you have thrown the same cut scene in my face X times then stop it already. And no, I do not mean occasions when someone in the party has never seen it before. Over and over, seriously, over and over and over and over...please, stop.

-Dialogue boxes, I'll use Sharandar for example; I pick up a quest, click accept, the dialogue box closes in its own. Good, the way it should work. Turning the same quest in? Open the dialogue box, turn it in, the NPC has nothing more to say to me...does the window close? No, I now need to close it. Use the same logic on turn-in that you do on pickup.

Little things, little things I said. Not game-breaking by any means, but indicative of a "good enough" policy when it comes to spending money on resources. And annoying. Annoying enough that I find myself logging out instead of moving on with something else after I grind...oh yeah, grinds...oh never mind, that's a thread all by itself.

Good points.

Low-level drops in high-level zones: I concur.

Cut-scenes: they're okay, except they need to be dismissible; pressing the ESC key aborts it - some do, most do not. However, in group co-op plays (think: dungeon delves, skirmishes) I can see why this is NOT a good idea - and must (unfortunately) be force-fed to the players.

Dialog Boxes: I get what you're saying. But here's the problem: turning-in a quest may unlock new quests from that NPC. Right now your complaint is that when you turn-in a quest (and there are no more from that NPC) you must manually close the dialog. However, if things worked the way you suggest, the dialog box would auto-close, forcing you to press F key *again* to open the dialog box *again* to get the newly unlocked quests. To me this would be a worse annoyance than just manually closing the dialog box is nothing else is available.

Tech-wise it is not possible to just auto-close the dialog box depending on whether there are additional quests or not - at least not the way the game engine is written. Of course they could write the code to do this, but it would take months and would likely introduce horrendous bugs in the process.

Just my too-sense, your mileage may vary. :)
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    harkur wrote: »

Don't even know why is this so annoying....but this is.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Oh ye ghods, yes. Cut scenes. Even ones which initially look really spectacular become painfully dull and protracted after you have seen them fifty times. The Lair Of Lostmauth is the one that grates the worst. Yes, the dragon model is really nice, and it's quite a slick cut scene in general. However, seeing it every single time just makes the entire group groan. After a while, it's too long, and too boring, especially in such a quick dungeon. A real fun killer.

They aren't skippable, and there are far too many of them. The device of taking control away from players must be used extremely sparingly, as it wrecks immersion and is irritating, if it happens often enough to not be unusual or "special".
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From my (rather limited) programming understanding, the purpose of the cut scenes is to prepare the game engine for the upcoming boss fight. So there would have to be some sort of delay in any event before a boss battle, and the cut scene is just there to entertain us in the meantime so we don't think the connection has been reset or the game is lagging out as the game engine pauses to prepare for the boss fight.

Now maybe they could be made shorter, I don't know. But I don't think the cut scenes before boss fights can go away.

I don't mind the R3 enchants so much. RP is RP.

As for the lowbie potions, yeah they are a bit irritating. They are useful however when leveling up Alchemy, so there's that.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Aye, though at least the HE cutscenes are fairly short and snappy. The LoL cutscene, for example, is just irksome. It'd be nice to have the option to just see a loading screen instead, maybe, if the game needs to adjust its dress prior to a big dungeon boss fight. It's funny at first that everyone is word perfect on the dialogue, but after a while, it's just nails on a blackboard.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The LOL cutscene is important for the storyline. It's the first place where you see Severin and you get an idea of what his future plans are.

Let's not take ALL of the lore out of the game, please!
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    The LOL cutscene is important for the storyline. It's the first place where you see Severin and you get an idea of what his future plans are.

Let's not take ALL of the lore out of the game, please!

How many times do you need to see it, points? Memory issues? ;)

I was pretty clear about "after X times...".