test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Editing Published Quests

huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
Curious about editing quests still in the reviews tab.

1) If you simply hit Publish, does it publish a second version, or simply update the published one with any changes made?

2) If you withdraw, and then republish, do you lose any plays/views the quest has gained?

Thank-you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1) Nope, republish is fine -- the only way you get duplicated quests is when Cryptic features it, and then a copy is made at that time so you can't change the featured version.

2) Hmm. Interesting question. Not sure.
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Answering question two:

I haven't lost any plays or reviews when I've withdrawn my quest to do significant repairs.

However, since I know someone had my quest in their queue and actually played it while the quest was withdrawn, my quest now has two more reviews than the campaign it is a part of since that time. Also, it was stuck on that broken version that someone played while it was withdrawn. It was stuck that way for nearly a week, until I removed it from the campaign, saved the campaign, then re-added it again after another republish.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    huajia2 wrote: »
    Curious about editing quests still in the reviews tab.

1) If you simply hit Publish, does it publish a second version, or simply update the published one with any changes made?

2) If you withdraw, and then republish, do you lose any plays/views the quest has gained?

Thank-you.

Both replies above are accurate. So I'll summarize:

1) There is only one copy of your quest - ever. I will never lose reviews or play-counts, or star ratings. It's permanent. Hitting PUBLISH will only update the existing quest

2) Withdrawing your quest only take it "off-line" from live servers (removes it from the Library listing) so people cannot play it. Publishing puts it back on the list, but all reviews, star ratings and play count remain. It's like a book you put on the shelf (publish) or remove from the shelf (withdraw) but it's always the same book.

However, if your quest is featured: a *copy* of your quest is made and the copy is featured.
    NOTE: All reviews and star counts are carried from your original version, but then generate it's own separate reviews and star ratings and play-count from that point onward (You now have an extra quest that you cannot edit). You also can continue to update and change the original - but only the original will take the updates; the featured version is frozen to always be the way it is.

SPECIAL NOTE: If your quest is featured and it is part of a campaign: the featured copy is *no longer* part of your campaign - it becomes its own stand-alone quest. This is why it's a good idea to put titles of other quests in the campaign in your quest description if you are able. Once a quest becomes featured it is then 100% out of your hands.
  • huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thank-you, everyone. I was wondering how that worked.

I can sort of see why they wanted featured quests uneditable, considering you could change it completely. But if it turns out there's a glitch or something like that after the fact, that would be kind of a pain to never be able to fix it.

Glad to know you don't lose anything for withdrawing it to fix anything you notice after publishing, though. Especially since some stuff works different from preview to published.
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thank you for explaining! Makes more sense now.

However, more questions about editing featured quests...
    What if a new mod or update "breaks" it? Is there a way request to fix it or even delete it if it's that broken?
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    waryur wrote: »
    Thank you for explaining! Makes more sense now.

However, more questions about editing featured quests...
    What if a new mod or update "breaks" it? Is there a way request to fix it or even delete it if it's that broken?

You have to go in and make the fixes yourself. It's always a good idea to replay your quests after major updates, especially after new mods are introduced. Most times it's just wonkiness - I had floating ground debris in one of mine after Mod 4 - easy fix. If things get so broken that you must delete your quest then do it (unless you want to slave through fixing things). I've only heard of this happening once in the last 18 months, though.
    edited October 2014
    You have to go in and make the fixes yourself. It's always a good idea to replay your quests after major updates, especially after new mods are introduced. Most times it's just wonkiness - I had floating ground debris in one of mine after Mod 4 - easy fix. If things get so broken that you must delete your quest then do it (unless you want to slave through fixing things). I've only heard of this happening once in the last 18 months, though.

Thanks for replying.
    I know, been doing that for my regular foundries. Now I'm confused. I'm asking about a featured quest?

Your previous post says,
    You also can continue to update and change the original - but only the original will take the updates; the featured version is frozen to always be the way it is.
    This is what prompted me to ask my question in the first place.

So, let me rephrase my question. What if a new mod or patch "breaks" your featured quest? If it is truly an uneditable copy, is there a way to request the devs access to fix it or to delete it? Or are you just stuck with it? Can you withdraw a featured quest?

Thanks again in advance.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    waryur wrote: »
    So, let me rephrase my question. What if a new mod or patch "breaks" your featured quest? If it is truly an uneditable copy, is there a way to request the devs access to fix it or to delete it? Or are you just stuck with it? Can you withdraw a featured quest?

Doubtful. Once featured, it's totally out of your hands. Although, when my Old Magic was featured, the day it was featured I discovered a bug that would not allow completion in Easy mode and requested they "refresh" it with a version I fixed that day. They were nice enough to then "feature" the fixed version for the remainder of the week -- however, they left the previous "broken" 1-day featured copy.

So... never hurts to ask, but I'd say you'd be limited to asking for deletion only as they wouldn't fix any issues in it themselves.
    Although, if it was due to a bug introduced by Cryptic, it may start re-working if they fix the bug causing the problem.
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the insight, Eldarth. I'll bear that in mind going forward.