test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trickster Rogue Paragon Paths.

casimercasimer Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Thieves' Den
I want to know what the best Paragon Path is. Also what each of the two Paragon Paths' strengths and weaknesses are.
Post edited by casimer on

Comments

• Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    casimer wrote: »
    I want to know what the best Paragon Path is. Also what each of the two Paragon Paths' strengths and weaknesses are.

Master Infiltrator
    ■ superior mobility
    ■ more offense-oriented daily power
    ■ superior survivability through ITC

Whisperknife
    ■ hefty buff to ranged attacks
    ■ utilitarian, proning daily power

As it is, undoubtably MI is better in almost every way. Most of the paragon feats, features, encounters are solid and at least average in performance. Compared to MI, WK has certain very pronounced, interesting strengths, but overall the class features, feats, and encounters are rendered very poorly.

Features like Razor Action and Advantageous Position are all but useless, the paragon encounter Vengeance's Pursuit is absolutely worthless and left ignored despite numerous requests to fix it... and survivability problems due to no CC escape/immunities have basically forced WKs into permas. Not even semiperma is possible with WKs.

Compare to how MIs have a range of choice between semipermas, permas, and the most recent BI-gear builds. The only possible option for WKs is simply go perma -- and even at that, it requires 100% precision. No freebie, easy-mode escape like ITC so it remains path that is rigid, not flexible with poor adaptability.

...of course, above only applies to PvP.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    chestnut13chestnut13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Master Infiltrator
    ■ superior mobility
    ■ more offense-oriented daily power
    ■ superior survivability through ITC

Whisperknife
    ■ hefty buff to ranged attacks
    ■ utilitarian, proning daily power

As it is, undoubtably MI is better in almost every way. Most of the paragon feats, features, encounters are solid and at least average in performance. Compared to MI, WK has certain very pronounced, interesting strengths, but overall the class features, feats, and encounters are rendered very poorly.

Features like Razor Action and Advantageous Position are all but useless, the paragon encounter Vengeance's Pursuit is absolutely worthless and left ignored despite numerous requests to fix it... and survivability problems due to no CC escape/immunities have basically forced WKs into permas. Not even semiperma is possible with WKs.

Compare to how MIs have a range of choice between semipermas, permas, and the most recent BI-gear builds. The only possible option for WKs is simply go perma -- and even at that, it requires 100% precision. No freebie, easy-mode escape like ITC so it remains path that is rigid, not flexible with poor adaptability.

...of course, above only applies to PvP.

I'm going to disagree with kweassa here ... don't really have an axe to grind, but I find the information skewed to what I know is kweassa's distaste of VP's nerf after he did all that play research and theory craft. While many of the WK encounters are uselees, the same is true of MI. WK is a fun, uselful (to team), and disorienting (to those opponents expecting an MI). I had semi retired my WK at the end of mod 3 as I figured it was a waste of time to be fighting opponents with vastly increased HP and skills and I don't appreciate frustration. I was willing to wait it out until mod 5 and the "new" TR. However, I mistakenly que'd for PVP when I meant to que for a skirmish. Since then, I've played about 50 games and am in the 40's on the leaderboard without really trying to improve my gear and only solo pugging. And ... I am not perma. So it is possible.

Unless, one is considering high level PVP with top geared premades, WK is quite viable. Pandora proved that.
  • Options
    samothrace22samothrace22 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I love standing in the red, so MI for me :-) I've only tried WK on preview and prefer MI all the way
    ────────────────────────────
    SAMOTHRACE
    Trickster Rogue
    ────────────────────────────
  • Options
    mojoratmojorat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 90
    edited September 2014
    Generally speaking the reason MI is favoured is that ITC is so powerful and supurts the use of DF. Secondly WK implies support for ranged rogue but runs into the problem that TR ranged powers are more or less secondary blowers. So many wk use CoS ad disheartening strike but Df does so much more damage than all other try at will anything not using it in pve will lag behind.

I enjoy WK scoundrel in PvP vengeance persuir impact shot shadow strike. Vi used pop in pop out stealth mechanics and in mid pug PvP it works well for me.

As anti cc power though VP blows as a fast cycling telport to trigger action rush its okay.
  • Options
    guidogoombaguidogoomba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    casimer wrote: »

Depends on what your play style is. I really enjoy the Whisperknife (WK) paragon. It has MOST of what I would be looking for from the Master Infiltrator (MI) paragon. I don't have to rely on getting too up-close and personal with mobs of the enemy team in PvP, and have a relatively higher survival rate. if I want, I can change tactics and go back to Duellist's Flurry/Sly Flourish and Cloud of Steel or Disheartening Strike when I want to go to PvE.

I honestly respecced a few times, switching between MI and WK for my main character (Sangre), and finally settled on WK since it worked the best for my playstyle.

If you want to get in the fray and mosh/scrum with the best of the best in PvP, I recommend MI. If you want to hang out in the fringes, chuck seething knives at people, and, every once in a while, jump in the fray, then go for the WK.

I am sure there are other, more in depth, descriptions and analyses in this forum. This is just my two cents.

I hope you choose the paragon path that is best for you.
    16K Whisperknife TR - Sangre
    16K Master Infiltrator TR - Shadowshiv
    15K Iron Vanguard Sentinel GWF - Viktor Kurgan
    13K Control Wizard - Selene

See you all on the battlegrounds! :cool:
  • Options
    casimercasimer Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ive decided on Whisperknife, and enjoy it a lot more than Master Infiltrator. The playstyle and abilitiesare more enjpyable, and fit the kind of rogue I want to play. Thank you for the input. It definately helped me make a decision.
  • Options
    forumname776forumname776 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chestnut13 wrote: »
    I'm going to disagree with kweassa here ... don't really have an axe to grind, but I find the information skewed to what I know is kweassa's distaste of VP's nerf after he did all that play research and theory craft. While many of the WK encounters are uselees, the same is true of MI. WK is a fun, uselful (to team), and disorienting (to those opponents expecting an MI). I had semi retired my WK at the end of mod 3 as I figured it was a waste of time to be fighting opponents with vastly increased HP and skills and I don't appreciate frustration. I was willing to wait it out until mod 5 and the "new" TR. However, I mistakenly que'd for PVP when I meant to que for a skirmish. Since then, I've played about 50 games and am in the 40's on the leaderboard without really trying to improve my gear and only solo pugging. And ... I am not perma. So it is possible.

Unless, one is considering high level PVP with top geared premades, WK is quite viable. Pandora proved that.

Pandora proved nothing.

I'm not sure how we're drawing lines here. If "high level PVP" is the equivalent of BiS equips with seasoned veterans with solid teamwork skills than "everything else" must be the equivalent of a paraplegic playing this game on crutches. WK's viability is good on paper but doesn't put out the numbers it should.

Actually, I'll humor you.
    What do you typically see on the enemy team in any PvP Match? I'm gonna go right ahead and assume some sort of tanky builds, a CW or two, and *maybe* another TR. Right off the bat, WK's damage isn't high enough to make any of the tankier builds care what's going on. CW's probably won't care because you're pumping out a lot of little hits that you can't sustain for very long. Throwing knives and dotting? That certainly does sound like a great strategy until you realize the CW you've spent the last 20 seconds trying to kill has already helped his team steamroll all the way to your spawn point.

If there is another WK on the other team then it's effectively a 4v4. The only "competition" left is to see who's better at playing grab-*** on the enemy point. If the other TR is MI, you already lost.

There's a reason WK stopped being popular or even viable after the VP nerf - It was FoTM.
  • Options
    heruwath1heruwath1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Pandora proved nothing.

I'm not sure how we're drawing lines here. If "high level PVP" is the equivalent of BiS equips with seasoned veterans with solid teamwork skills than "everything else" must be the equivalent of a paraplegic playing this game on crutches. WK's viability is good on paper but doesn't put out the numbers it should.

Actually, I'll humor you.
    What do you typically see on the enemy team in any PvP Match? I'm gonna go right ahead and assume some sort of tanky builds, a CW or two, and *maybe* another TR. Right off the bat, WK's damage isn't high enough to make any of the tankier builds care what's going on. CW's probably won't care because you're pumping out a lot of little hits that you can't sustain for very long. Throwing knives and dotting? That certainly does sound like a great strategy until you realize the CW you've spent the last 20 seconds trying to kill has already helped his team steamroll all the way to your spawn point.

If there is another WK on the other team then it's effectively a 4v4. The only "competition" left is to see who's better at playing grab-*** on the enemy point. If the other TR is MI, you already lost.

There's a reason WK stopped being popular or even viable after the VP nerf - It was FoTM.

+1

Also, in high end PVP ? really ?? a wk??
    ok scenario 1: everyone has full health and everyone is on point. what dps can u offer if u dont use DF?
    scenario 2: by accident a cw has cc'd u .what do u do?
    scenario 3: how can u take down a DC??
    scenario 4: how u can take down a GF??
    scenario 5: how u can take down a CW??
    scenario 6: how can u take down enemy perma??
    in these 4 scenarios :
    in only the 4th actually WK is more important than MI but that implies that its 2v1 on the gf and the other one can sustain PoS and not dying while u hit from behind
    in the 5th : its never gonna happen cause the cw wont come alone at u, and if u wait out of the point u ll be left alone with the ,most likely, enemy perma.which brings us to scenario 6
    scenario 6: if its a WK its an endless stalemate which u have to outplay all the way in order to get the point. if its a MI even if u out play him he can have a break with itc from steath.if he out play u , it wont be an endless stalemate, its gonna be over really soon.

BTW if the GF stuns u, u are one shot, 2 shot tops. what whould u like then , smoke??

Dont get me wrong, I personnaly think that everyone is a viable option in pvp , even high-end as u like to call it.
    BUT everyone should know his limitations and drawbacks. everyone has em.So if u want to keep queue-ing for domi thinking that u have an advantage and not thinking your disadvantages, plz do it but u ll be disappointed really soon.

Oh , and if one keeps on going talking about "high-end" pvp, dont use someone else's name as a rule plz

P.S. There is a reason the path's name is 'master INFILTRATOR' , ever stop to wonder why?
    P.S. I too enjoy playing with my WK but I can offer more to the team with my MI