test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's the point of Draconic Armor?

rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
So yeah, after killing hundreds of dragons (literally) and completing Shores of Tuern and Lair of Lostmauth dozens of times I've finally been able to complete my GF Draconic set.

From my understanding it was one of the few Draconic sets that could be useful because GWF's, CW's, HR's and so on are complete garbage (you can easily find that out by looking at AH prices).

Since I was still using a T2 set, which has lower stats than Fomorian, Dread Legion and specially Black Ice, I was certain that my GS would improve (yeah, I know, it doesn't matter, but anyway).

So, after equipping the whole set, my GS lowered by 132 points, my defense dropped considerably and my toon looked ugly as hell.

Yeah, I can use the Glyphs now, but I don't see the reason to: they last for only 2 hours, they are really useless in PvE and since Draconic armor has no tenacity, the set is useless for PvP as well. So, what's the point of it?

I can say for sure this is the most boring and pointless expansion ever (I thought nothing could be worse than Sharandar, but I was wrong). Why would I ever want to run the skirmish and dungeon again after spending a month doing boring and long dailies to unlock them? They drop nothing that can be sold and the gear is completely useless.

rTTh33K.jpg
Post edited by rlrobr on

Comments

• Options
    williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Were with you man. If they wanted to introduce sets people would pick over certain favored t1/t2 sets they failed with these sets. HV/HP/KC/Avatar sets are just still too OP warrant anything else still. Plus, with gear craziness you get laughed off a team if you don't have those sets everyone wants...
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • Options
    demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rogue draconic set might be nice since it's a 10% combat advantage group buff and is also 1 of the few non-stealth bonuses. warlock's draconic set gives another life-steal buff which might be able to compete with nether mage set for healing purposes.

but yeah, cryptic has difficulty making likeable set bonuses.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    You are quite incorrect in many of your assumptions.

First of all...HR Draconic is useless. IDK where you got that list of 'what Draconic is good on' but you missed the best set which is for GF's.

You have also said Draconic is useless in PvP. Again, incorrect. While it does lack Tenacity the Set Effects can be quite helpful for certain classes and overcome their lack of Tenacity by offering a valuable party wide aura. Not sure how you consider giving everybody 5% DR and have Blue Dragon Glyphs in PvP useless...

Sure some of the sets are extremely lackluster...
    HR being the key one. If it benefited the HR it would be okay but they have lower stats than my PvP gear which has lower stats than my PvE gear and a set effect which brings *nothing* to the table for me...

But while certain Draconic Sets are a bit on the meh side...
    Some, like the GF Set, will likely become main stays for PvE if not PvP.

And Ugly is subjective. Personally I really like the GWF and GF appearance. Your example of ugly has me scratching my head saying "to each their own?"
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The top armor piece looks amazing with those huge spikes on the shoulder, the helm is quite ugly tho.

The only good thing about Draconic is the overload slot. Since devs are very hesitant about fixing those ridiculously OP glyphs (god knows why), so draconic set would remain pretty useful for PvP until you have access to the black ice set.
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I was actually thinking on the thread title the other day and had a bit of an ephiphany after running across yet another poster on some forum (maybe even this one) complaining about F2P MMOs and their lack of true team play.

The entire point of the Draconic Armor sets isn't to benefit the player wearing them (at least no the four piece bonus anyway), but to benefit those playing with the person wearing the set. They're all aura bonuses that benefit "allies" within a certain radius of the player. Now, I could be reading it wrong, but to me the word "allies" seems to imply that this isn't just limited to people you're teaming with, but also their (and your) companions, and possibly even just other players that aren't part of the opposing "faction" in PvP play like the Gauntlgrym 20v20 or the IWD Open PvP.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like GF's set more than I like Ever Procing and bugged Knight's t1 set.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The DC set looks better than the MH set (which I never bothered to wear, instead of my HP).

The main reason to do the skirmish and dungeon though is for the artifact gear.

There is BoE gear that drops in both, albeit very rarely.
  • Options
    mulemulemule2mulemulemule2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2014

First of all...HR Draconic is useless. IDK where you got that list of 'what Draconic is good on' but you missed the best set which is for GF's.

You have also said Draconic is useless in PvP. Again, incorrect. While it does lack Tenacity the Set Effects can be quite helpful for certain classes and overcome their lack of Tenacity by offering a valuable party wide aura. Not sure how you consider giving everybody 5% DR and have Blue Dragon Glyphs in PvP useless...

HR being the key one. If it benefited the HR it would be okay but they have lower stats than my PvP gear which has lower stats than my PvE gear and a set effect which brings *nothing* to the table for me...

And Ugly is subjective. Personally I really like the GWF and GF appearance. Your example of ugly has me scratching my head saying "to each their own?"

Let me break this down for you.

You are wrong. You are incorrect. This set is garbage. The aura is absolutely positively 100% useless in pvp. You have to be alive to maintain the aura and without tenacity.. well you die and you die quick as a GF unless your exploiting the broken mechanics of this mod. Shame on you.

And shame on you for pointing him towards using dragon glyphs in pvp. They are lopsided, crude and unbalanced. They should be removed and then reworked. Shame on you for even suggesting that and using it in your rebuttal.

Lastly, they are ugly dude. Which means sinking 200k AD into making them not an eye sore. To sum it all up, draconic gear is garbage and was a rush through by the devs to meet deadlines and the bottom line.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rlrobr wrote: »

rTTh33K.jpg

Wow that armor looks horrid. The only value to it is humor I think as you look like sontaran from doctor who in it.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I will never understand why they don't make those helmets to cover the entire face. None of my characters has the helmet enabled, because they all look stupid.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited September 2014

How do you figure? That stat distribution on the set is next to useless. And the set bonus even moreso. I suppose it is useable if you are running a total turtle build but even then purified would probably work better.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Draconic set is useful for cheezy people that wanna cheez PvP, but have not yet acquired the BI set.

They can destroy whatever set they are using, slap the cheap Draconic things with some Reds on it, and go cheez PvP.

It's also called "skillz" in this game.

Reds >>>set bonus, Reds>>>Tenacity, Reds>>>all.

As for a moderator suggesting glyphs errrm :) Guys. GUYS. You're supposed to understand these things destroy PvP lol.
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It feels like the designers for both graphic and system is getting a bit lazy. The new Draconic sets looks really really bad for a CW and so did the Black ice set. And the set bonuses are not good either. I don't understand why they keep doing the same mistakes over and over again regarding these PvE sets because the logic is so simple.

High Vizer is the best set. If you want people to use a new set, it has to be equal or better than the old set. And 4 mods later we still don't have anything that is even close to compare to the HV set. Its that easy.

And about the graphics.. Well I don't know, the designer needs to do some better work or be replaced even. If we ask him if and he thinks the new set or the black ice set looks good, then we have a problem.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    snip

Yeah, let's take the rudenmess level from about an 8 and drop it down to a 0. :)

First paragraph, that's your opinion. I can attest to it being the other way around.

Second paragraph, anybody who is going to insult people for recommending using perfectly valid items right now is not going to have their posts remain in tact. Sorry but this is going to be the one and only warning on that. I may not like how glyphs work but they are here and are not disallowed to be suggested. If you want to try to disallow them your posts will be the ones disallowed.

Lastly, your opinion. It's fairly apparent from responses in this thread some people other than myself think it looks good.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    How do you figure? That stat distribution on the set is next to useless. And the set bonus even moreso. I suppose it is useable if you are running a total turtle build but even then purified would probably work better.

Purified is still a royal pain in the....not going there. I was in a happy place and I am not leaving it to talk about the myth known as black ice gauntlets.

But the stat distribution is only bad if you are...well like most people and think only linearly on builds meaning that you care about stacking a few stats through the roof. I would rather stack all stats to a reasonable level and then work on getting a few stats higher than others. You get a lot more return from putting a thousand points in every stat you would otherwise leave at 0 than stacking defense or whatever an extra thousand points.

Plus if you haven't noticed...
    The people with these massive reflect builds which are annoying the hell out of me aren't exactly jumping around swinging like M1 Conqueror Builds. Some of them have actually just sat there and taken a nap with Knight's Valor on letting reflect damage do all the dirty work. Sure Purified is better...but good god dang luck getting those gauntlets...

In the mean time Draconic is a decent option.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The DC draconic set is great, the CW one is fine and will be BiS if HV gets a balance pass. Not sure about the GF one but it looked fine to mee. Stacking defense to absurd levels has always been pointless.

Keep in mind that you can also use purified/corrupted black ice enchantments in overload slots. They will probably make your tanking a lot better (purified), or can give you significant stats boosts (corrupted). All in all most of the draconic sets are just fine but people need to understand their potential and it will take time.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    The DC draconic set is great,

I wouldn't say it was great, as such, but it might be the best healing set - I am still missing one piece, so I haven't tested it, but it looks like a good replacement for Miracle Heaer to me, and as such, it would be the set of choice for HEs. I don't see it as being of much use for anything else.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was great, as such, but it might be the best healing set - I am still missing one piece, so I haven't tested it, but it looks like a good replacement for Miracle Heaer to me, and as such, it would be the set of choice for HEs. I don't see it as being of much use for anything else.

Heh who knows we may get challenging content at some point. And then you'll be happy to use your draconic set.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The GF set isn't useless. its an offensive set. I was going to switch to it but i used my scale of bahamut on my timeless (its awesome on dragons). And you cant get another scale from anywhere so i won't switch until it appears again (if ever).

I did some comparisons with it, and gaining the 700 arp frees it up on your character which you can swap to power (or crit if you need it) you can slot overload slots for whatever stat you are missing (just remember to stack one after the other)

you lose a chunk of defense and deflect (500 ish from timeless) but the aura makes up for it

All in all, because of the overload slots I would say it is equal to T2, the 5% DR is like 1500 defense for GFs. So atleast we have a choice of regent, timeless and draconic (pvp wise).

Not bad for DC because the stats are perfect for them, as for the others? pretty crappy (maybe HR is okay for pve since their sets suck)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    These kind of threads are really funny.

Other than the fact that all Draconic gear is specifically designed to promote and benefit GROUP play, pretty much everything said in this thread is 100% subjective opinion.

My take? Some sets are ugly, others are not. Some "all-piece" bonuses are awesome, some are not. One man's garbage is another man's treasure, as they say. What makes the OP's diatribe so funny is how he states it as (and apparently believe it is) "fact" when it is 100% opinion.

Hey, OP: You're right - in your own mind and that's okay. Many (including myself) say you are full of bunk and wrong... in our own minds and that's okay, too.

Hence, the TL;DR: You're wrong.

~snickers~
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    These kind of threads are really funny.

Other than the fact that all Draconic gear is specifically designed to promote and benefit GROUP play, pretty much everything said in this thread is 100% subjective opinion.

Except you're leaving out the fact that NW has no "GROUP PLAY". It's casual. It's more casual than Champions Online, it's more casual than City of Heroes. As a matter of fact, the amount of "casuality" of PvE content is like... if CoH/CoV is like strolling through a battlefield with sufficiently powerful enemies, and some plain dangerous ones here and there, most of NW is like steamrolling through an opposition of ants and cockroaches with a bulldozer.

Now, City of Heroes, that was a game promoted "GROUP PLAY". All the archetypes had distinct weaknesses in some areas, ranging from mode of combat, to resistance holes and plain "natural predators" all about. In the harder difficulties, even normal quest mobs are actually dangerous, powerful, and in sufficient numbers to threaten your team, overwhelm it, and cause a team wipe. Besides, no one archetype had it all. You would need certain different builds/archetypes to cover up the weaknesses and support each other. The team-level combat in CoH/CoV was simple and straight FUN. You felt valuable to your team, and not only that, there were multiple viable options for you to take on the role. You could be the aim debuff type, causing missed attacks to protect your team. You could be the traditional CC type, or you could be the funky utilites type like Trick Arrow.

Neverwinter?

There is no frickin' "GROUP". All there is the meatshiled, the heal slave, and then CWs. There is no diversity to be promoted at all. Just max out AoE DPS/CC, add in a heal-slave Derelict Cleric for insurance, and there's your "GROUP" right there. In 90% of the cases the tanky meatshield doesn't need any heals or buffs. Nor does CWs. The defenses and heals are high enough that it makes any other "support" attempt look <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Who the f***k needs real heals or combat support when just min/maxing your character with BIS level equipment will make you unkillable in PvE unless mistakenly one-shot by bosses?

Sir, there is no "GROUP" play in NW.

Draconic gear promotes a mode of play which went extinct in NW before even mod2 arrived.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I consider the GF draconic set only low low mediocre, it doesn't have any regen and no life steal, since the regen doesn't kick in like life steal does, regen isn't so good, as life steal. Take in consideration, that in PVP regen is nerfed heavily, but still better, than nothing. PVE wise T2 sets or mixes offer some amount of regen, better than nothing tho. Arm pen can be built up easily either by mixing, rings, belts, necklaces or by an augment. So i don't see a real choice to get rid of my good old T2s.

Artifact weapon is cool, but without a pair to them and with loosing the stats bonus from set and GS too, i don't touch them currently. feeding them with refinements is a good ad or cash sink. It would become better if it had a pair tho and decent stats for the set.

DC set may be good, but currently the DC being the step child of this game, i don't intend to invest into her until the Devs finally fix her.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Except you're leaving out the fact that NW has no "GROUP PLAY".

I would have hoped the lowest common intellect denominator would understand that when I say "group play" I am referring to basic and generalized "Party-based" or "ally-based", such as in skirmishes, dungeon delves, HE's, etc. As tempted as I am to throw out commentary on the state of common edification right now, I'll leave it as is.

-sigh-
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sir, there is no "GROUP" play in NW.

That's why any armor that was on market or available through dungeons and any current set, like the draconic, can offer me huge party bonus, i wouldn't take it, summa summarum it only matters that i can keep myself alive, that's the best benefit my party can have too. Buffs here and there can do nothing to save a party in the end, people are too selfish. I came to the game building my primary as a full party orientated GF and all i got was a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> class back and no love from players too, they constantly bashed on poor GFs head, where is your dps, why don't you can hold more aggro and so on, so i decided to be the same selfish as they are and built myself a nice GF with high self sustaining abilities and gear.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would have hoped the lowest common intellect denominator would understand that when I say "group play" I am referring to basic and generalized "Party-based" or "ally-based", such as in skirmishes, dungeon delves, HE's, etc. As tempted as I am to throw out commentary on the state of common edification right now, I'll leave it as is.

-sigh-

And in turn, I would have thought anyone with a set of eyes can see clearly that the game promotes players to maximize their own performance rather than try on any armor set that "promotes GROUP PLAY". By using your "GROUP PLAY STUFF" you gimp yourself and the team. That's what "GROUP PLAY" is in NW.

You think a gimmicky 10% team damage increase is useful for "GROUP PLAY"? I used to run a TR build that could sustain a -68% defense debuff, plus a -36% damage debuff on the target at the same time.

You wanna how that kind of "GROUP PLAY BUILD/SETTING" works out in real PvE? It works out in the way my TR goes to homeless shelters every night because she can't find a job, that's how it works out, friend.

Grow a set of eyeballs. I hear its good for knowing what's going on in the real world.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    most of NW is like steamrolling through an opposition of ants and cockroaches with a bulldozer.

That made me laugh xD.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't know, I kinda like my CW set. From those in my party who have commented on the 4pc bonus, they have said that it reduces the cooldowns on their encounters by about 1 second. That is equivalent to about 2000 in Recovery. So what this means in practice is that the CW him/herself doesn't need to have gear that has super-high levels of Recovery because the Draconic bonus will pick up a lot of the slack. So instead of the T2 sets which have too much Recovery, some of that excess Recovery gets redistributed into other stats like Life Steal or Armor Penetration. (The CW set has a *ton* of Armor Penetration and Life Steal, but very little Recovery.)