test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An improved way to offer special companions such as Knox in future?

mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
This is an idea based on one originally proposed (as far as I know) by gimpocalypse that seems to have all the benefits and none of the drawbacks of the forthcoming Knox auction.

Let the winners of any future special companions be determined by a raffle, and put a maximum number of maybe 10 tickets at 1000 AD each per account. Also have the companions be made 'Bound to Account on Pickup' and 'Bound to Character on Equip'.

This would:

(i) Drain a huge amount of AD out of the system, probably even more than will happen in the current system.

(ii) Make the companion available to the entire player base, not just those who (however they came by it) have huge liquid AD reserves.

(iii) Be won by someone who wants to use the companion, rather than someone who just wants to resell it or goldsellers.

Any thoughts from other forum posters?
Post edited by mconosrep on

Comments

• rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While this is a great idea in theory, your numbers are far, far too low to be of any impact. One can easily, EASILY make 10,000 AD doing very little work. Hell, just grinding Leadership on a few characters could give you that in a single day of doing nothing but invoking/picking up leadership tasks. 10k AD per account (or even per character) is a drop in a very huge bucket.

The price needs to be high enough that it will eat up excess AD, but low enough that the average person can still buy in for a chance without having to work too hard. I'd say at least 10K a ticket, perhaps even 50K.

A limit on tickets is all well and good, but 10 is still a very low limit, and should be increased as well.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    10 tickets at 1000 ad per? That means I'd spend 10K AD and I couldn't spend any more on the raffle? This wouldn't take any AD out of the economy at all. I make more than 10K AD per day just from refining rough ad. Let alone what I get from selling drops I get doing my dailies.

And all this is only on my main. What my alts make is not even included.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You have a good idea, but, as others have said, but the amount of AD per ticket should be a lot higher than 1,000 or 10,000. 100,000 AD per raffle ticket would be much better - more effective AD drain.

What we will see this time is the elite being able to afford the Knox companion. And I'll bet at least one or two of those will be AD exploiters. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like how people hate HEs but suggest paying money for a chance of their reward instead :D. In the end you'll have the same chance of getting your belt/item :P
  • mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1,000 AD a ticket with no minimum on the number of tickets you could purchase would be an interesting sink.
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    mystagogue wrote: »
    1,000 AD a ticket with no minimum on the number of tickets you could purchase would be an interesting sink.

There has to be a limit otherwise people with almost unlimited AD would buy like 10000 tickets.

I would say 20k per ticket and max 20 tickets per account. Thats 400k for a CHANCE to get a companion. More than that it wouldn't be worth it. And this is based on a active bonus that is GOOD and useful. If it sucks the price per ticket should go down.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Edit.. - Double Post
  • godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Hmm.. im very interested to see how much he will go for.. the price of Knox..
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The only people who know precisely how much AD is in the system is Cryptic. Let them set the specifics if this idea is used.

However, with the level of exploiting that happens and botting, I'm afraid no real AD sink is going to matter. The only ways to wrangle the economy at this point would be:

1 - Wipe all AD - drastic, but I would think players would understand. There would definitely be negative feedback and a loss in players. Rather pointless if the exploits aren't fixed.
    2 - Create a new currency. Create some sinks for AD for useful items that don't effect the game, change the AH to new currency.
    3 - Put artificial caps on things that sell for AD, so having a billion AD won't really matter. Caps on AH listings for specific items, etc. Essentially, take full control of the economy.

Just thoughts.
  • abishai3705abishai3705 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    The only people who know precisely how much AD is in the system is Cryptic. Let them set the specifics if this idea is used.

However, with the level of exploiting that happens and botting, I'm afraid no real AD sink is going to matter. The only ways to wrangle the economy at this point would be:

1 - Wipe all AD - drastic, but I would think players would understand. There would definitely be negative feedback and a loss in players. Rather pointless if the exploits aren't fixed.
    2 - Create a new currency. Create some sinks for AD for useful items that don't effect the game, change the AH to new currency.
    3 - Put artificial caps on things that sell for AD, so having a billion AD won't really matter. Caps on AH listings for specific items, etc. Essentially, take full control of the economy.

Just thoughts.

I respectfully disagree with all of this. Neverwinter can not afford another "Blanket" solution to solve their problems. The only ones hurt by this are the real players. Exploiters may be slowed or stunned, but they will lick their wounds and move on. People who invest real money (people like me) would not stand for another wipe. The ONLY solution I see is to hire a small team to investigate suspected exploiters... Cryptic has ALL the information of every account, they just need the man power to do a proper "sweep" of flagged accounts and report to the devs any possible weak areas in the economy. Being rich should not be a crime... I have invested time and money in this game to create wealth and if that is just taken away I can not justify spending another dime, you see the problem there?

-Protect paying customers
    -Offer great 'free' content that makes players happy to spend money on it
    -Seek and destroy botters and exploiters (this will be worth the investment for Cryptic) Don't react with "Blanket" solutions...
    -Create an environment that has been tested and proven before taking it live
    Abishai the Blessed - 60 Sun Elf DC
    Shazaam - 60 Tiefling CW
    Link - 60 Menzoberranzan Renegade (Drow) HR
    Naruto - 60 Half-Orc TR
    Moose - 60 Human GWF
    T-Wrecks 60 Half-Orc GF
    Drag King - 60 Dragonborn SW
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Just thoughts.
    1) Does nothing to those that have invested their AD into BoE items or transferred to zen. If that wasn't an issue people would just leave and the game would die. What's the point in playing. I personally stay because of the progress I've previously made. If that was wiped, the only thing keeping me here would be gone. Though it'd be good closure :D. It also hurts the ones who paid money for AD.
  • stevebobbstevebobb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    Wipe all AD - drastic, but I would think players would understand. There would definitely be negative feedback and a loss in players. Rather pointless if the exploits aren't fixed.

while this may sound good to you:

a) it will never happen

b) if they did it they would lose a very large portion of their player base, people wouldn't understand because it doesn't make any sense.

c) so, therefore, it will never happen
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hfgtfsdfs wrote: »
    There has to be a limit otherwise people with almost unlimited AD would buy like 10000 tickets.

I would say 20k per ticket and max 20 tickets per account. Thats 400k for a CHANCE to get a companion. More than that it wouldn't be worth it. And this is based on a active bonus that is GOOD and useful. If it sucks the price per ticket should go down.

Yes, stopping people from buying a ridiculous amount of tickets is exactly the reason for a limit.

I personally would prefer to keep the AD per ticket low (and the maximum number of tickets per account), but obviously these can be changed as is deemed best.
  • maroon89maroon89 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can't believe how many people have their panties in a wad because of the Knox companion. Good grief, it's a companion. Whoop de do! Don't get me wrong the idea of raffles as an AD sink is a good idea, but not just for companions. How about coal wards, various respecs, mounts, etc. It could be a monthly raffle and the winner would be announced periodically in /zone in PE.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Raffle/lotto... why not just put him in a lock box if your gonna do that its essentially the same thing except you want to do it with AD as opposed to waiting for the ZAX to gamble.
    edited September 2014
    maroon89 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong the idea of raffles as an AD sink is a good idea, but not just for companions. How about coal wards, various respecs, mounts, etc. It could be a monthly raffle and the winner would be announced periodically in /zone in PE.

Actually this is an interesting idea - have this be a recurring feature whenever it is felt that AD needs to be removed from the system.

sexwax45 wrote: »
    Raffle/lotto... why not just put him in a lock box if your gonna do that its essentially the same thing except you want to do it with AD as opposed to waiting for the ZAX to gamble.

The reason is PRECISELY because this takes AD and not ZEN out of the systems, and right now there a lot of AD and not enough ZEN in the economy.
  • faxquofaxquo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So Sgt. Knox is to be auctioned off like a slave companion!

Way to go Cryptic...reward the exploiters sitting on Billions in ill gotten ADs and punishing all the faithful players playing the game on a daily basis who don't have a chance in hell to obtain one of these "five" ... (i cant even believe just "five")

This may be a good AD sink...but really....do you rally want to reward the exploiters?
    edited September 2014
    faxquo wrote: »
    So Sgt. Knox is to be auctioned off like a slave companion!

Way to go Cryptic...reward the exploiters sitting on Billions in ill gotten ADs and punishing all the faithful players who play the game on a daily basis who don't have a chance in hell top obtain one of these "five" ... (i cant even believe just "five")

This may be a good AD sink...but really....do you rally want to reward the exploiters?

This was a major reason for having a raffle - it would give everyone not just those 'lucky' enough to have incredible amounts of AD a chance to win a prestigious companion.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    why not just put him in a lock box

Because he won't fit? :)
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    The reason is PRECISELY because this takes AD and not ZEN out of the systems, and right now there a lot of AD and not enough ZEN in the economy.

Oh i got that, but selling raffle tickets is just another form of gambling and you might get the people who play the lock box game, but you won't come anywhere close to withdrawing the amount of AD as the auction will get. People will spend a lot more to guarantee something, then spending a little to have a fraction of a % chance to win. Rich people hardly play the lottery.... thus taking more AD from the poor and leaving the rich sitting on their hoards.
    pointsman wrote: »
    Because he won't fit? :)

LOL
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh i got that but selling raffle tickets is just another form of gambling and you might get the people who play the lock box game, but you won't come anywhere close to withdrawing the amount of AD as the auction will get. People will spend a lot more to guarantee something, then spending a little to have a fraction of a % chance to win. Rich people hardly play the lottery....

Exactly. Rich people gamble with more 'reasonable' odds. They don't play lotteries, whether it's with dollars or Zen or AD.

I think the auctions are a good idea. Bleed every last bit of zen out of the whales so that they can have some exclusive items (that sure won't bother me) and have a stable ZAX to follow.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Exactly. Rich people gamble with more 'reasonable' odds. They don't play lotteries, whether it's with dollars or Zen or AD.

I think the auctions are a good idea. Bleed every last bit of zen out of the whales so that they can have some exclusive items (that sure won't bother me) and have a stable ZAX to follow.

Except this won't get that much AD out of the ZAX at all. Yes, there's been a lot of people buying zen to dump for AD in preparation, HOWEVER. The very most this can take out of the system - absolute max - is 500,000,000 AD. Which is not that much considering how much AD is constantly being generated, but aside that, they aren't going to go for anywhere NEAR 100million apiece.

People who bid on these pets will get their AD back. It doesn't go into the void. And when these people who lost are stuck with their millions of AD they traded zen for and no pet - they're going to dump it BACK into the zen exchange, because Zen is still worth way more than AD. This is a very, very temporary ZAX fix and it won't hold.

A raffle, on the other hand, would actually REMOVE AD from the system, which is what desperately needs to be done. Plus, it would give people with less AD a chance to participate. Maybe not a great chance, but a chance nonetheless.