test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Toughen up the Dragons, daily timer them, and hardcap the zones, like now

harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
Should have been done when they were released, but seriously it needs fixing badly.

If rofldragonstomp by a dragonzerg, in quite literally 10 seconds, repeatable every couple of minutes, was intended then the intention was misguided. For "misguided" there are any number of words denoting a lack of foresight that could be substituted.

They are dragons, ffs. What's happening trvilializes them beyond belief, and regardless of the whining "But what about the people who already got their XXXXX? They're ahead of me nooooooooooooooooooooooooowwww!" it should be dealt with. These should be tough fights where characters die and that are not over in a blaze of "Unholy Blade of Insta-gib crits dragon for 5 million wtfpwn damage" melting. No matter how well geared the people facing it are.

I am reminded of a P&P game years ago, comprised of five seriously high level characters. There was a dragon encounter, and a 20 was rolled by the fighter, with a two hander. Wonder of wonders he 00'd the 100 and the table says 'beheaded'. There was silence, followed by a whoop and a "Yeah! I beheaded that sucker!!!"

The DM let him get it all out, then quietly said "No, no you did not. It's a (*&^!!ing dragon. It's hurt, badly, and not dead. Oh, it's now enraged."

Come on guys, fix this.
Post edited by harkur on

Comments

• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For the intended size of the crowd (6-10 players), the dragon encounter is just fine.

Put a limit of 15 players max in an instance and this problem goes away.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While I'd like to see the dragons tougher there is one problem with doing this. What happens in mod5 then. The HE's in IWD are now pretty much deserted where you get 1-3 other people at most, sometimes you have to solo them. So mod5 if they make them harder and you're soloing the dragons if the dragons were jacked up in difficulty you'd run into the problem of locking new players/characters out of the campaign.

I'm not sure where the solution in this lies, but it's not quite as simple as just boost them up. I think something in the scaling engine needs to be adjusted to scale with character level and number of players nearby perhaps.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Heroic encounters are casual-friendly encounters. Don't expect too much.

Just gonna see if the new dungeon is challenging and profitable. If not, its back to merching hoping ther release organized raids in module 5 or 6
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    you're soloing the dragons

For me that's a huge part of the problem. Unless you're a demi-god that simply should not be possible, no matter what.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    For the intended size of the crowd (6-10 players), the dragon encounter is just fine.

Indeed....this is a real issue in the Whispering Caverns in particular, where the poor dragon just does not stand a chance, being attacked by 40 players. A per-instance limit of 20 would be great - a limit of 15 even better.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    harkur wrote: »
    For me that's a huge part of the problem. Unless you're a demi-god that simply should not be possible, no matter what.

That would mean that for most people come module 5 the ToD campaign wouldn't be completable. That would be a massive issue long term. Dragons dropping too fast is a short term problem in terms of mmo design. If this was a pnp campaign I'd agree with you. However this is an mmo based on a pnp setting. This is one of the things that has to change for it to work.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    Indeed....this is a real issue in the Whispering Caverns in particular, where the poor dragon just does not stand a chance, being attacked by 40 players. A per-instance limit of 20 would be great - a limit of 15 even better.

Yesterday there were eleven instances open in the Whispering caverns with everybody channel hopping and a good few times the crowd missed a channel where a dragon spawned so it ended up with about 10 - 15 of us and it was a lot better than it is with 40 odd people there , no lag or slowdown and even though the dragon died fairly easily it took a lot longer to go down and actually had a chance to get its handy floor attack off a few times lol , a hardcap of 15 to 20 per instance with no cross channel invites once cap is reached would be perfect , then again now people are unlocking the skirmish and dungeon I think the huge zergfests might ease off a little , I know I prefer to run the skirmish instead of waiting endlessly for dragons to spawn then getting stuck in a slideshow due to 40 dailies being spammed all at once.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And make it 10 people max.

Everyhing that described in the title - full support, would sign up the petition if there was one.
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »

Have to agree with your first part, but not your second. These heroic encounters are in leveling quest zones and as such if you limit it to 15 per zone you're going to end up with zones that don't have enough people showing up to fight. As bad as the 10 second zergs are I can tell you from personal experience that the encounters where you don't have enough people or enough DPS to overcome the dragon's natural health regen are even worse.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    canis36 wrote: »
    Have to agree with your first part, but not your second. These heroic encounters are in leveling quest zones and as such if you limit it to 15 per zone you're going to end up with zones that don't have enough people showing up to fight. As bad as the 10 second zergs are I can tell you from personal experience that the encounters where you don't have enough people or enough DPS to overcome the dragon's natural health regen are even worse.

Well, then maybe 20 people per instance.

But not 40+.
  • Options
    thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Limit of player must be set.
    Really! Like in rothe valley yesterday - one player DR...other bad words from his nick... gathered over 40 people on one instance. with 20 limit btw - just by invites. You literally could not not get to dragon. One shot - dragon is dead already

Even with recommended 6-10 player you have low drop chances. I got fashion and dragonbone weapons doing epic loot - basically solo on dragon. got bracers with 5 players on dragon. All this after 50+ Great success and around 5-10 epic loots.

If you have zergs party - forget about any good loot forever.

Also dragons are week. Since damage scales to players level you can not get hard dragons - at list first 4 of them i faced both on SW 35 lvl and HR 60.

Dragons must be harded. Even for MMO! its is becoming more and more casual and 2button like game

Limit for instance or limit on dragon must be made. Otherwise dragon is bitten like a kitten
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Well we are 60. 60 is roughly the equivient of lvl 20 in regular D&D, and the boons simulate epic lvls. Epic lvl toon can easily take out huge sized dragons. EASY. Even gargantuan and collassal ones should be possible.

This thread sounds like it was created by someone ignorant of actual D&D,
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    snip

lolnothxno
    JMYwySk.jpg
  • Options
    calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The 30 to 40 player Zerg fests on the Rothe and whispering dragons has to be fixed it's horrible agree with the OP limit zones to 15 like the first 2 dragons please
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think its fine the way it is as the dragons are tough for the level you can start the main quest line and adjustable for others who are higher. As it is all open your going to have large groups at peak time I have been on when there are none or just 10 or less over there and I died quite a bit, as I was at the level to fight the dragon in the area. Maybe put a few in there own dungeons and stuff but leave these alone as most like it the way they are, and more is better.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    AGREED 200%!!

They've managed to make killing dragons routine and boring. GRATZ! :P
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Scale his damage and hit points accordingly. Can't wait to see a 40 person zerg wiped out by one AOE :)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    tainteddusktainteddusk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They need to stop people from joining others in their party when the channel is full.
  • Options
    l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Scale his damage and hit points accordingly. Can't wait to see a 40 person zerg wiped out by one AOE :)

YES!

Would pay to see a 40 man zergteam all on their hands and knees, while the zone chat instantly filled with QQ and rage. It would be glorious.
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

Thank you for the beautiful mental image. It is unlikely to happen, but boy would that be fun!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    This for starters. You can't get a great succes in WV or RV. The dragon is dead before the cinematic into ends. It would be nice if people realized they are only cutting their own fingers by inviting 50 people over when you have 60 people waiting already.

Yet another part of the game that's deliberately being ruined by players.. It makes me sick.

Fail, not possible. There's a hard cap where you cannot enter even if invited. It's 30 at most, no where can you get 50 or 60 in one instance.

That said, encounters are designed for 6-10, not 30 15kGS+ player zergs.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    They need to stop people from joining others in their party when the channel is full.

There is a hard cap, it just needs to be lower. MUCH lower. and beef the dragon's Aoe. It should have UNRESISTALBE aoe that does about 20k dmg, that will keep out all the LEECHERS. I have literally seen level 25 players hanging around dragons. WHY they put them in noobie zones IDFK... totally lazy.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    walk2k wrote: »
    There is a hard cap, it just needs to be lower. MUCH lower. and beef the dragon's Aoe. It should have UNRESISTALBE aoe that does about 20k dmg, that will keep out all the LEECHERS. I have literally seen level 25 players hanging around dragons. WHY they put them in noobie zones IDFK... totally lazy.
    Those level 25's are hanging around dragons because the campaign starts around level 25. They arent leeching either, the content is level scaled like CTA events, so they contribute just like anyone else.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As things stand now, these Zergfest HEs are nothing more than a DPS race. I have no doubt that the majority of those who are getting Great Success are the DPS classes - CW, GWF, SW and HR (and maybe supremely geared TRs). The two non-DPS classes (GF and DC)are mostly getting screwed on this; a Great Success due to healing (for a DC) is almost impossible, since 1: SWs do good healing, and all the Life Steal that a lot of the DPS players stack, and 2: they can't hit the healing threshold when the dragon dies before dealing that much damage. GFs cannot compete in the DPS race (mostly), and usually have to try to tank; hard to do when taunts - and even Knight's Challenge - seem to have little to no effect on the dragon, and also have trouble taking enough damage to make the cut due to, again, the dragon getting melted down before it can put out that much damage.

Maybe the best solution is to simply get rid of the Great Success idea and make it simple RNG - you participate in the fight, you have the same chance at the artifact as anyone else who did, pure RNG (as horrible as the RNG here is).
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    While I'd like to see the dragons tougher there is one problem with doing this. What happens in mod5 then. The HE's in IWD are now pretty much deserted where you get 1-3 other people at most, sometimes you have to solo them. So mod5 if they make them harder and you're soloing the dragons if the dragons were jacked up in difficulty you'd run into the problem of locking new players/characters out of the campaign.

I'm not sure where the solution in this lies, but it's not quite as simple as just boost them up. I think something in the scaling engine needs to be adjusted to scale with character level and number of players nearby perhaps.

Wrong. People play less icewind dale (but it's really far from being the wasteland you claim it is) because it has litteraly zero replay value. Nothing you can sell, only crappy consumables and **** gear with bad stats you need to pay real money to use... IMO that expansion was mostly a waste of good dev time. On the other hand, the dread ring and sharandar zones have a lot of replay value. There are often many zones open proving my point; you can get enchants or stuff you need to feed the monsters called "artifacts" and it's not hidden behind stupid mobs you spend ages to kill because somehow someone thought challenging solo content would be fun. But it's not. IWD content is a waste of time. A fun challenge is a group one. Hopefully that's what the new dungeon will be and I can't wait to see that.

Back on topic, well, the devs have refused to add content for 14k+ GS player so far even though we have some 20k GS characters around now. That's the real issue, not the poor dragons getting smashed in the face in under 10s. The first months, up to module 1, were the best. Dungeons were still a challenge, players who could just smash buttons mindlessly ignoring what a build, gear, stats, or even the basic "don't stand in red moron" were rightfully wrecked, and selling gear to make some virtual money was still an option. Now all this is gone and we get bosses that don't even deserve this title.
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Probably suggested here somewhere (also I saw thread about it) but just turn thoose dragon encounters into skirmishes, that's the only logical way.
    Sadly that would kill the idea that devs had with it (idea was pretty good until first zerg destroyed dragon in less than 10 seconds), to make players cooperate with each other in order to kill mighty beast... nec hercules contra plures I say.

One option would be to scale dragon power with number of players in the area (however that could be easily exploited if scaling wouldn't be changing with players numbers attacking the dragon).
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Part of the problem with a 15-person cap is that the HE coexists in a zone that also has a dungeon (except for Neverdeath, but you don't see massive zerging there anyway). Players won't be able to form parties to enter dungeons if the player budget is eaten up by the HE.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cloud990pl wrote: »
    Probably suggested here somewhere (also I saw thread about it) but just turn thoose dragon encounters into skirmishes, that's the only logical way.
    Sadly that would kill the idea that devs had with it (idea was pretty good until first zerg destroyed dragon in less than 10 seconds), to make players cooperate with each other in order to kill mighty beast... nec hercules contra plures I say.

One option would be to scale dragon power with number of players in the area (however that could be easily exploited if scaling wouldn't be changing with players numbers attacking the dragon).

Well the purpose was probably to cut corners adding some flat space with a couple of props around not to have to redesign completely new maps while giving a feeling of novelty to older players. That's fine, devs and artists time isn't free.

But there's one major elements devs didn't take into account while designing the levelless NPCs: there are more differences between a 6k GS lvl 60 character and a 18k GS lvl 60 character than between a lvl 45 and a lvl 60 character. IMO the levelless npcs wasn't such a great idea because of that but if they scale content according to GS instead of level it defeats the purpose of increasing your GS. Which is why it sucks, because there's no easy or orbious solution, they might introduce some GS to balance everything but it won't solve anything on the long run and levelless stuff will likely remain a lousy experience for everyone.

So the best and logical solution would be not to add again some of this levelless content except for events because events are different from normal content. Yet we're only seeing additions to the game at an extremely slow rate.

Funnily enough the real amount of new content has been rather thin with module 3 and 4. They recycled a lot of old stuff. Which leads me to 3 possible explanations:

- they laid off a lot of people and can't make meaningful new content anymore (a lot of devs we heared about during the closed beta disappeared after all). We're going to be stuck with levelless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for quite some time, until PWE decides the ROI is high enough to allocate more manpower to neverwinter.

- their game engine is very old and it takes weeks to do something simple you'd do in about 5s with a state of the art and up to date game engine. The thing could use a complete overhaul but it won't happen and the game will forever suffer from the lack of content no matter how profitable it is. Then we're stuck with this levelless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> forever

- cryptic is secretely making 15 awesome raids with a lot of new maps and props for module 5 or 6. Somehow it sounds like the most exciting option but it's also the less likely one.

All I hope is that we see new content for players with a lot of GS hanging around instead of making everything around the improbable newcomer who'd like to experience everything during his first week and could farm all of the campaigns every day for 5h.
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    People play less icewind dale (but it's really far from being the wasteland you claim it is) because it has litteraly zero replay value. Nothing you can sell, only crappy consumables and **** gear with bad stats you need to pay real money to use... IMO that expansion was mostly a waste of good dev time.

Off-topic but I'd be surprised if IWD isn't expanded upon in the future with more zones. It doesn't make sense to me that they'd make a map the size it is with only three zones. Of course there's plenty else in this game that doesn't make sense to me so... Whether or not further expansion makes it any better or replayable is unknown.