test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you handle the lockbox/chest RNG?

jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Most of us are aware of the dodgy RNG system in Neverwinter.
I've heard many recommendations about hoarding lockboxes, casks, chests,etc. and then opening them all at once (something about the streakiness of the RNG)

So I ask all of you who've had some success with drops from these boxes/chests: What exactly is your best method of opening them?

1. Do you click in rapid succesion to open as many as possible in the shortest time span?
2. Do you click once per 2 seconds until you see a great item drop, and then rapidly click?

I'm just interested for myself, and the community, what the general consensus would be for getting the best possible "luck" from opening lockboxes/chests.
Should this be a poll?
Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
Post edited by jrfbrunet on

Comments

• Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    3. Line up shots of tequila* and take a shot each time I'm disappointed by that I receive.

(*Must be 21+ in the US to participate in this manner)
  • Options
    cynogeniccynogenic Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you were to open 10 boxes and for some "random" reason you got a good item on the 10th box and now all of a sudden your taking pauses on every tenth opening.... then its just gullible human nature to find reasoning in that. Its just random with each item having odds of getting it. No matter what you do, rapid lockbox clicking, opening 1 or 2 or 100... theres nothing that gives you some sort of "lucky advantage".
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    buy not buying keys.
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play...

-Joshua (WarGames)
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mystagogue wrote: »
    3. Line up shots of tequila* and take a shot each time I'm disappointed by that I receive.

(*Must be 21+ in the US to participate in this manner)

Yes i think i have found another drinking game sure to get you drunk within your first 10 boxes. Well done sir.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I randomly open the lockboxes based on how many bag slots available and I'm surprised when I get a Purple. It's all good stuff, purple is just better.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    cynogenic wrote: »
    If you were to open 10 boxes and for some "random" reason you got a good item on the 10th box and now all of a sudden your taking pauses on every tenth opening.... then its just gullible human nature to find reasoning in that. Its just random with each item having odds of getting it. No matter what you do, rapid lockbox clicking, opening 1 or 2 or 100... theres nothing that gives you some sort of "lucky advantage".

Your logic is only valid when the RNG system is close to being random. Many players on this forum claim to notice a not-so-random streakiness in Neverwinter.

The RNG-code/system used by the Neverwinter Devs has been stated numerous times to be inferior to other MMO RNG systems.

We know that no algorithm will be able to produce a truly random number between 1 and 100. The perceived randomness (the more random the results over a very long test session, the more superior the RNG is said to be) of most MMO RNGs isn't replicated very well here.

So, for those players who have in fact "tried their luck" and noticed which sort of opening method works the best, could you post that here?

I'm not buying keys personally; I'm just saving chests like "Cask of Wonders" and "Sword Coast Profession Bag" in stacks.
  • Options
    rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is just people trying to find logic in RNG. Random doesn't mean everything is evenly distributed and there's no repeating, like shuffling on an ipod. It means random. Sometimes by a fluke of the RNG, you'll get the same thing several times in a row. With how many lockboxes are opened at all times, the people who think they see a pattern are the ones who are more likely to say "Nuh uh, it's not random, this is how it works."

It's like people insisting they have a 'system' for slot machines that involves pressing the button on the corner, or waiting a few seconds, or whatever. None of it works.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    This is just people trying to find logic in RNG. Random doesn't mean everything is evenly distributed and there's no repeating, like shuffling on an ipod. It means random. Sometimes by a fluke of the RNG, you'll get the same thing several times in a row. With how many lockboxes are opened at all times, the people who think they see a pattern are the ones who are more likely to say "Nuh uh, it's not random, this is how it works."

It's like people insisting they have a 'system' for slot machines that involves pressing the button on the corner, or waiting a few seconds, or whatever. None of it works.
    Let's avoid the "gambling is/isn't random" generic discussion, and stick to the unique Neverwinter RNG system:

For refining a lvl3 enchantment stone, you have an 80% chance of success - which means that if you refined 1,000 of them, you should have ~800 of them successful on the first try.

What I'm interested in is better data, so I guess a better question would be:

If you have personally refined 100 or 1,000 or 500 of whatever, kept track of successes and failures, and then found that the actual success ratio did not match the stated XX% chance of success, please post your findings here.
    If your results are different from the stated XX% chance of success, AND you used a particular method when refining, post that here also.
  • Options
    rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Here's my reply to that:

For refining a lvl3 enchantment stone, you have an 80% chance of success - which means that if you refined 1,000 of them, you should have ~800 of them successful on the first try.

If you have personally refined 1,000 of whatever, kept track of successes and failures, and then found that the actual success ration did not match the stated XX% chance of success, please post your findings here.
    If your results are different from the stated XX% chance of success, AND you used a particular method when refining, post that here also.

... thing is, the % chance being different than the one stated doesn't make it the RNG's fault. It makes it the developers' fault for not listing an accurate % chance for refining. And the lockboxes don't even have a percentage chance listed for anything, people have to open thousands upon thousands of them in the Preview shard to figure that out.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Its interesting how you guy cant do simple math. Lets just say i love how opening lockboxes is different from playing the lottery. I wont add anything else.
  • Options
    gimpocalypsegimpocalypse Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Problem with the RNG here is...

when you have a 1%, 10% or 40% chance to get that RANDOM item.

...add to that

when you open a lockbox to get an allegedly "random" item, and if you don't get one of the Major prizes... you most likely get to open another box with another allegedly "random" item in it.
    Been looking forward to upgrading my Perfect Sarcasm font, but due to recent changes it seems I will need to grind the Nine Hells for my Pure Sarcasm font... ironic isn't it?
  • Options
    gimpocalypsegimpocalypse Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Let's avoid the "gambling is/isn't random" generic discussion, and stick to the unique Neverwinter RNG system:

If you have personally refined 100 or 1,000 or 500 of whatever, kept track of successes and failures, and then found that the actual success ratio did not match the stated XX% chance of success, please post your findings here.

You've taken your own post off-topic here as refining and lockboxes are not the same thing...

but since we're here...

80% on refining RNG is NOT 800 of 1000... it's an 80% chance on that ONE try.

Refining % is based on a SINGLE roll NOT accumulative rolls

if I roll a d10 and have a 80% chance of success on EACH roll meaning I need a 3 or higher to succeed and I roll 10 times:

I successful made ZERO of 10... although the odds of happening are a whole other discussion... it could happen.
    Been looking forward to upgrading my Perfect Sarcasm font, but due to recent changes it seems I will need to grind the Nine Hells for my Pure Sarcasm font... ironic isn't it?
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i just get the keys and keep clicking till their all gone like a good addict, but its kinda pointless cuz then you have to open the sub boxes which have a chance to give you something, I've never got anything except another box out of lockboxes.
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Ok folks, some people are getting it and some are not.

Let's make it simple. Your odds of winning are not cumulative.

Not cumulative.

Do not accumulate.

Every single time you open a box is a new and isolated event that spins the RNG up and spits out a result.

"The odds say 80%, I opened 100 boxes, why didn't get 80 winners???" seems reasonable. But, it's wrong.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

80% on refining RNG is NOT 800 of 1000... it's an 80% chance on that ONE try.

Refining % is based on a SINGLE roll NOT accumulative rolls

if I roll a d10 and have a 80% chance of success on EACH roll meaning I need a 3 or higher to succeed and I roll 10 times:

I successful made ZERO of 10... although the odds of happening are a whole other discussion... it could happen.
    harkure wrote:
    Ok folks, some people are getting it and some are not.

Let's make it simple. Your odds of winning are not cumulative.

Not cumulative.

Do not accumulate.

Every single time you open a box is a new and isolated event that spins the RNG up and spits out a result.

"The odds say 80%, I opened 100 boxes, why didn't get 80 winners???" seems reasonable. But, it's wrong.

No, we get it.

Have you ever heard of odds? Statistics?

The refining window clearly states 80% chance, for example. If your sample size is large enough (and 1,000 should be, per most MMO testing standards), then you should come out with ~800 successes per 1,000 tries per the laws of statistics and what the Neverwinter RNG is claiming to accomplish through its 80%-tuned algorithm.

Any result that doesn't come to ~800 is in fact random and thus isn't an 80% chance at all.
  • Options
    ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Its interesting how you guy cant do simple math. Lets just say i love how opening lockboxes is different from playing the lottery. I wont add anything else.

Ray, please if your not going to add a constructive post like our fellows here, just don't post... Whether you figure out the math or not it, means nothing to the community boosting about it... So either share your findings like everyone here and we can be amaze by your math skills for helping the community players or just keep it to your self and let the helpful veterans of the game help... Don't add to the problem be part of the solution or get out... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Earlier this year I tracked profession results. Each task had a 60% success rate. I haven't tracked results in a few weeks, but these numbers sound up your alley.
  • Options
    ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Earlier this year I tracked profession results. Each task had a 60% success rate. I haven't tracked results in a few weeks, but these numbers sound up your alley.

Wow, your awesome, this is very insightful and helpful!!! :eek:
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    harkur wrote: »

um, actually that's exactly what 80% chance means.
    if you open 100 and don't get 80, then the odds aren't 80, they are... whatever you got.
    of course there are minor variations, one batch of 100 you might get 79, another 81, or even 87 or 72 (those last 2 are flukes though). eventually if you open enough, it should average out to around 80 per 100 - that's what 80% means.

that's exactly what it means....
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    of course we all know that NWO's RNG isn't very good, and it gets "stuck" sometimes and you get streaks of the same results.

you see, computers use a complicated equation to generate random numbers. computers can't just pull a random number out of the air, that's not how they work. computers are just fancy adding machines, that's all they do, add up numbers. so to make a "random" (not really) number they start with some number, called a "seed" then apply some math to it. the seed is usually something unique like the date+time (down to the millisecond) but it can be anything. the trouble with these methods is that if you start with the same exact "seed" you'll end up with the same exact "random" (not random) number at the end. think about it, if my seed is 1 and my RNG says (add +1 to the seed) then 1+1 =2. always. it will never not equal 2... as long as my seed is 1.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Awesome. My experience with Profession tasks is the same: the %chance stated is pretty accurate.

Anyone have numbers on refining attempts?
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In retrospect my link is off topic. Global percentages may be close to advertised, but this doesn't measure streakiness. I noticed (and still do) when getting a specific result, subsequent results are more likely to repeat.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Out of about 30 to 40 lockboxes I've opened the only one that gave me something really really high in value was a Rust Monster (I use that as my main companion now). I honestly only do surveys for the free zen and then spend that zen on keys, usually getting around 4 to 6 per week. So for me, its not really anything at all lost even if I get a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> box.

As for "streakiness," I've only had that happen once that I can remember. I opened 3 lockboxes in a row (pausing each time to view the results in the window to artificially elongate my suspense) and 2 of them gave me the same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    walk2k wrote: »
    um, actually that's exactly what 80% chance means.
    if you open 100 and don't get 80, then the odds aren't 80, they are... whatever you got.
    of course there are minor variations, one batch of 100 you might get 79, another 81, or even 87 or 72 (those last 2 are flukes though). eventually if you open enough, it should average out to around 80 per 100 - that's what 80% means.

Aye, there's the rub. 100 is far, far, faaar to small a sample set to make any conclusion about chances.

That'd be falling into the mistaken belief in Law of Averages. Or even the Gambler's Fallacy.

RNG "chance" is only converged upon by the Law of Large Numbers which basically means you need a really, really large sample set to converge on the actual % chance.

You could just as easily have a streak of 100 losses, then 700 wins, then 100 losses, then 100 wins and get an 80% chance.
    Just 'cause you opened 100 lockboxes and got nothing doesn't mean anything statistically.
  • Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And the lockboxes don't even have a percentage chance listed for anything, people have to open thousands upon thousands of them in the Preview shard to figure that out.

It may not be listed, but it sure is there.

Tenser's Floating Disk was purposely given a lower percent chance.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After 1k+ lockboxes I just don't give a **** any more O_o

Wish I could myself in the past though, can't even calculate in mind the ammount of zen I wasted on those lol
  • Options
    xianclinnxianclinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have no mathematical proof of this, but it does seem this way. Did not buy keys at first. Then around mid twenties I caved, but up until that point seemed like I got a slow pace lockbox drop.
    Bought two sets of keys, to try my luck (did above average), decided that was enough of a gamble for me.
    However lockboxes started dropping like crazy. Around level 26, I had zero. By level 46 I had 155 boxes.

The proof I cannot support? Is if me buying the keys increased the boxes dropping. It feels like it.

If that is true? Then anything is possible.

There is nothing you can do, to put the odds in your favor. How fast you click, do not click, how many boxes you save or do not save. That would be bad for business.

Surprised they haven't started selling lock box, luck boosts, that increase your chances of purple or orange loot by 25% or something.
  • Options
    xianclinnxianclinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Aye, there's the rub. 100 is far, far, faaar to small a sample set to make any conclusion about chances.

That'd be falling into the mistaken belief in Law of Averages. Or even the Gambler's Fallacy.

RNG "chance" is only converged upon by the Law of Large Numbers which basically means you need a really, really large sample set to converge on the actual % chance.

You could just as easily have a streak of 100 losses, then 700 wins, then 100 losses, then 100 wins and get an 80% chance.
    Just 'cause you opened 100 lockboxes and got nothing doesn't mean anything statistically.

As a poker player, this is completely true. When you tell someone, "You have 50/50 odds."
    Most people honestly think, those odds aren't too bad. That at worst? They can break even.
    Suddenly they lose 10 times in a row, or 20. In 50/50 odd situations, they seemed shocked, thinking things are rigged.
    But the longer you play those odds, the closer things will go back to even. Problem is you are broke by then, without managment.

With lockboxes it is like poker hands, really. You do not have a clear understanding of the true odds (or how good of player you are), until you get into the thousands of attempts. By that time, it is usually a expensive lesson, to find out where exactly your odds lie.

Lets say, a person opens their first lock box, and gets the drake mount. That does not mean, they should expect it every lockbox.
    1,000 more times, and they may not get anything again.

Personally It makes more sense to just buy Zen, and buy the items you want on the AH. Or if some things you want are not on there? Well... just buy keys once a month and think of it as an MMO subscription.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Some good examples of fallacies and misconceptions here, but...

Back on topic, I suppose no one has opened enough chests (other than lockboxes) to discern when a streak with the RNG is occuring, or how to make one occur (if such a thing is possible with the Neverwinter RNG system).