test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Issues with the Dragonborn

ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
There are several issues with the dragonborns visual style

- Lots of clipping issues (but that is to be expected)
- No headgear besides the pack contents. Maybe future equipment will also be made dragonborn compatible, but the old equipment is invisible on them
- Really ugly feet. Instead of making a custom solution to accommodate for the claw like feet of dragonborn the existing boots simply got stretched to gigantic proportions to envelop the feet of them.

Keep that in mind if you consider spending $70 on this race.
Post edited by ixalmaris on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I haven't seen any clipping issues. So how about some examples (like screen shots)?
    The headgear issue isn't an issue. It's a personal preference.
    The feet issue isn't an issue. It's personal preference.

So you were saying?
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Inability to have headgear showing isnt a personal preference, it's an issue.
    The feet issue isn't a personal preference, it's an issue.

Why? Because the behavior of the two is inconsistent with each other. If boots get weird stretching to fit over their feet, why do helmets not also get stretched to display? If helmets are not shown because of weird stretching that would be required, why do boots have weird stretching to cover feet?

The issue is consistency.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Inability to have headgear showing isnt a personal preference, it's an issue.
    The feet issue isn't a personal preference, it's an issue.

Why? Because the behavior of the two is inconsistent with each other. If boots get weird stretching to fit over their feet, why do helmets not also get stretched to display? If helmets are not shown because of weird stretching that would be required, why do boots have weird stretching to cover feet?

The issue is consistency.
    Simple answer? Because the facility to hide headgear already exists in game but there is no equivalent function for footgear. So the cheapest and easiest solution was the one currently implemented.

Simples.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Simple answer? Because the facility to hide headgear already exists in game but there is no equivalent function for footgear. So the cheapest and easiest solution was the one currently implemented.

Simples.

And I have thought that for a $70 race one can expect something more than "The cheapest solution".
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Simple answer? Because the facility to hide headgear already exists in game but there is no equivalent function for footgear.
    All gear has some form of visibility toggle, its why you get your gear's stats when wearing your fashion sets. The visibility toggle simply isn't available for players for most gear. They could turn on the visibility toggle for boots for dragonborn (and halflings!).

Toggling visibility of helmets for a dragonborn does nothing because there's either no helmet model to turn visible, or more likely there is a model but it is a blank placeholder.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »
    And I have thought that for a $70 race one can expect something more than "The cheapest solution".

That's an understatement.

BTW, the clipping is kinda insane, even WITH the armors that people get for free with the pack. I mean, really, if everybody of the race gets one for free, it should be designed to not clip, right? At least you'd think so.
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, they're personal issues. Really.

Headgear: the primary differentiating factor that makes the Dragonborn visually different - let's hide it under a helmet. Never mind both the technical and immersion hurdles that must be overcome to make helmets available for them. As for boot size... never mind both the technical and immersion hurdles to overcome to make them unrealistically smaller because of someone's personal preference.

Consider this: have you ever personally worn a pair of shoes or boots that were too small for your feet? Good luck with that. LOL

As for any clipping - screenshots or it's not happening. if it is happening it's your graphic settings, because I am seeing zero clipping (and I assure you: I do keep an eye open for it) - even with pick-up gear.
  • diotelpdiotelp Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think you'll find that helmets and boots are very essential items for any adventurer... Saying that someones reasoning for wanting access to boots and a helmet on their $70 race is down to personal preference is silly... I am quite frankly happy i decided to wait until i bought the pack ofc i am not buying it now, i hate clipping, i am actually quite shocked they would release a paid for race that clips so much...
    edited August 2014
    What they needed to do was to make a new armor model for the Dragonborn so they can not be wearing giant footwear all the time. Like, you know, shown in all the 4th Edition pictures of them always. Make like 2 models of greaves and just put on different textures/colors.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    diotelp wrote: »
    I think you'll find that helmets and boots are very essential items for any adventurer... Saying that someones reasoning for wanting access to boots and a helmet on their $70 race is down to personal preference is silly... I am quite frankly happy i decided to wait until i bought the pack ofc i am not buying it now, i hate clipping, i am actually quite shocked they would release a paid for race that clips so much...

Unfortunately you're always going to get people blindly defending companies and pretend they're flawless gods.
    edited August 2014
    You might also take into account the time pressure on the release of Mod 4. Up until about a week or two before launch they didn't even have a female version of the Dragonborn with finished artwork.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • chaostheorysevenchaostheoryseven Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2014
    You might also take into account the time pressure on the release of Mod 4. Up until about a week or two before launch they didn't even have a female version of the Dragonborn with finished artwork.
    That is not the customers' problem. If you don't have time to properly finish something, don't sell it.
    I love to burst bubbles.
    edited August 2014
    That is not the customers' problem. If you don't have time to properly finish something, don't sell it.

LOL

I have always proclaimed myself a fan of Cryptic (not Perfect World, there IS a difference) going on 5 years now.
    As for the rest: I reiterate: the complaints are personal preferences, there fore personal issues. As for clipping: No one seems willing to put their money where their mouth is: were are the screenshots? Show me the screen shots and I'll show you your GPU settings problem.

If I can I'll match your screen shot and if the clipping exists on my screenshot, too - then I'll bow-down to your prowess. Until them: there are no clipping issues, save for your graphic settings. Show us.

//done - so flame away.
  • umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Should just call them what they are.

Iksar.
  • harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »

This, its a rather big oversight to expect people to pay so much for a race and then dont bother making it worth the money. I bought it anyway, and so far im ok with not having a helmet, but i made it a class that didnt have that great headgear anyway. The feet issue i havent looked into to much, maybe if i pretend there is no issue i wont notice it.
  • dono87dono87 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    LOL

I have always proclaimed myself a fan of Cryptic (not Perfect World, there IS a difference) going on 5 years now.
    As for the rest: I reiterate: the complaints are personal preferences, there fore personal issues.

Those are not personal issues, but a medium-major quality issues.
    From the point of view of any real developers in the field of the video game industry :

- Stretching a texture is known as vice made by novices.
    It's enough to make any 3D artists fail in any 3D classes and not get their diploma. (We're not in the 90's anymore. adding a new textures with new UVs is something that can be done and implemented in a single day even by an new junior 3D artist. With the number of assets to be "refited" in NWN, it can be understood that it could take some time... but skipping it is no acceptable. Personnally, as a business manager (and game developer) of my own, I would personally gives a warning (next time, he would be fired) to the one who made such decision if I was in the shoes of the quality assurance manager.
    It's understandable when it comes to customization like the bulk of the parts of a character, but when it comes to an full set of assets like a race in a RPG, it's a vice or a lack of quality in the work done.

- Selling content without explaining the current state of the content is not illegal, but it's a lack of respect for the buyers.
    It's not explained anywhere that the Dragonborn race isn't able to visually wear all the type of armors.
    Let's say that you buy a car. The vendor explain to you that this is a brand new cool car and gives you a pamphlet explaining the car specs. For some reason you can't try out the car or even see it in live. You decide to buy it. As you receive it, you notice that the car doesn't have a radio station and not even the slot for one. You also notice that you can't change the rims, that the mirrors are too small and that you can't even have a spare wheel anywhere. (I know it's not possible, but that's the same thing in terms of quality control of a product)
    You contact the vendor and they're reply that it's as that and that it's the only model which is limited like that.
    How would you react?
    How would you feel?
  • tehsigtehsig Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 54
    edited August 2014
    As a tank, I re-rolled my little halfling GF into a great big, burly Dragonborn only to discover I'm now so huge in Castle Never runs, I can visually be clear between two red circles yet still get double fisted in the dracolich fight.
  • harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    LOL

As for the rest: I reiterate: the complaints are personal preferences, there fore personal issues. As for clipping: No one seems willing to put their money where their mouth is: were are the screenshots? Show me the screen shots and I'll show you your GPU settings problem.

If I can I'll match your screen shot and if the clipping exists on my screenshot, too - then I'll bow-down to your prowess. Until them: there are no clipping issues, save for your graphic settings. Show us.

//done - so flame away.

I'm glad you're done...because you're just a blindly sycophantic broken record on this subject at this point.

No, having helmets and footwear visible on my nice shiny new $75 character is not a personal issue, it's a completely reasonable expectation. There are helmets, they are being worn, the only personal preference should be whether or not the player chooses to make them visible, not the game code not allowing it.

Additionally, calling people liars with a smug "screenshots or it didn't happen...or if it did happen it's your rig" is patently offensive. You should stop it.
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Clipping issues for armor and head gear is on a few of the races I know that my dwarf who has a beard now does not while he has his helm on. Also my nose sticks out too, if you make a race make models that fit them its not like there are a lot of armor choices.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tieflings have always had clipping issues with their horns and tails, so really to me dragonborns having clipping issues is not really a surprise. I have yet to see a helmet that does not clip a little on tieflings, especially GF helms.
    edited August 2014

Challenge accepted. Friend took these shots of NW on max settings (no anti-aliasing, not that it matters), of a female Dragonborn CW in the Ceremonial items that every Dragonborn gets for free because you bought the pack, standing perfectly still in Protector's Enclave near the bank:

http://imgur.com/a/NYaGK

Look at how poorly the shoulderpads fit. Just look at that.
  • harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    Challenge accepted. Friend took these shots of NW on max settings (no anti-aliasing, not that it matters), of a female Dragonborn CW in the Ceremonial items that every Dragonborn gets for free because you bought the pack, standing perfectly still in Protector's Enclave near the bank:

That's a perfect example, for the simple reason that the geometry of the suit itself would force a clip no matter what.

So much for the "there is no clip, or is there is it's your machine's fault" argument.
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    umcjdking wrote: »
    Should just call them what they are.

Iksar.

Yes they do look very similar. I had a iksar templar in eq2 (betrayal quest) xD
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • sugarliessugarlies Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited August 2014
    As for the rest: I reiterate: the complaints are personal preferences, there fore personal issues.

You know, repeating the same thing over and over without actual arguments doesn't make you right. Just stuck on your view and unable to comprehend much.
    edited August 2014
    It was tied in with the launch of the module, which in turn was mandated by WotC.

Cryptic get a lot of things wrong, but in this case they've been under external pressures.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited August 2014
    Clipping issues for armor and head gear is on a few of the races I know that my dwarf who has a beard now does not while he has his helm on. Also my nose sticks out too, if you make a race make models that fit them its not like there are a lot of armor choices.
    It's not just a race thing. My Warlock's cloak clips one of his legs in his 'ready' stance. In fact clipping in general is surprisingly widespread in NW.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It was tied in with the launch of the module, which in turn was mandated by WotC.

Cryptic get a lot of things wrong, but in this case they've been under external pressures.

First, this is no excuse. Project management is also part of Cryptics job.
    Second, do you really believe that Cryptic will ever fix this?
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The Dragonborn' armored forearm clips thru the GF Shield while Blocking. I looked for the biggest possible Shield and applied the skin but the issue is there.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • xianclinnxianclinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Try riding the Hero of The North, Spider mount around as a Dragonborn. They messed up the animation bad.
    The Dragonborn's head acts like sprinkler, that is broken, and twitches horrible. It is so bad, I cannot use the mount for the race. It's like a broken robot, and I hope Cryptic got more complaints than mine.

The helm issue? Yeah, I personally see it as laziness. They did not have time, to make armor models for the Dragonborn race or even hire voice actors. They just through them out. I am sure, we will get some response (IF we get one) like, "No headware is what makes the race unique, it's based on lore", yet they had time to build two costume sets with helms.

Happy with the race beyond those to issues. Seems like Perfect World is putting the whip to Cryptic and forcing them to get things out before they are ready. Perfect World on various forums around the internet, seems to be hated even more than EA.

There was one thread on MMORPG, where some guy made a petition for Perfect World, to buy City of Heroes and bring it back. The general thread, summed up in the vast majority was -- they would rather see the game dead than owned by Perfect World.

Neverwnter is a great game. Under the horrible prices, horrible cash shop, bad glitches, horrible mount selection unless to pay cash, too expensive astral diamond mount upgrates for free players, bad voice acting at times, balance issues, economy issues, Dragonborn race fumbling, spammer problems, and lack of Cryptic talking with the community.

I think the fact the game is great, gets lost under all the problems.
    edited August 2014
    somebob wrote: »

I reiterate: Check your graphic settings.

screenshot_2014-08-25-03-48-37.jpg

My point is simple: Sure, Cryptic isn't perfect, they can screw up all the time. But blame Cryptic when it's really Cryptic's fault, not when it's the player's lack of information. Hence this thread is player emotion and a fabricated "problem" making the entire debate academic at best.
This discussion has been closed.