test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there a way to not zoom in when talking to an NPC?

huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
So I put in a Cyclops NPC, and they're super tall. So when my character speaks with them, the camera zooms in, and you're basically stuck looking at their chest plate the entire conversation. While reasonably realistic considering the height of the character to the cyclops, it's kinda awkward in play. Any way to stop the camera from zooming in, or raise it higher?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• branwentheravenbranwentheraven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure about the not zooming in but if you set the animation for the cyclops as examine, kneeling (or gambling, kneeling 1/2 but those look weird) it will bring their face into the camera shot.

Quick note: I tested this with Cyclops Storm Shaman NPC, you'd have to double check if you were using the Hewer.
  • branwentheravenbranwentheraven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Also you might try using an invisible clicky made contactable/inspect object for the conversation instead, setting it where the cyclops is, I don't think those zoom in but you lose the ability to make the cyclops dynamic without things getting tricky and if they player comes in at the wrong angle it could mess it up too where they're not looking at the NPC.
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I think Eldarth used a trick in one quest (if I saw what I think I saw) that might work. Because if a character starts standing, and then kneels or sits, they drop below the camera, causing essentially the same problem, I think eldarth used a 5'x5' invisible block underneath set to "appear when" cued to those dialog prompts. In theory, if you placed such walls all around the cyclops (leaving a gap in the middle for the cyclops) that appear on the first dialog prompt, and disappear when you are done, SHOULD lift you up so that you are on a level with its head. I haven't tried this out in practice though, so I can't say if it works or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    I think Eldarth used a trick in one quest (if I saw what I think I saw) that might work. Because if a character starts standing, and then kneels or sits, they drop below the camera, causing essentially the same problem, I think eldarth used a 5'x5' invisible block underneath set to "appear when" cued to those dialog prompts. In theory, if you placed such walls all around the cyclops (leaving a gap in the middle for the cyclops) that appear on the first dialog prompt, and disappear when you are done, SHOULD lift you up so that you are on a level with its head. I haven't tried this out in practice though, so I can't say if it works or not.

I did something like that in Rise of Ingeloakastimizilian where I had Tribe of Wolf Shaman bend down to examine the trail -- I put a small 5x5x5 invisible cube just a little bit behind where the PC camera is positioned for the dialog. That forced a little closer camera view that brought NPC into perfect view.

I also in Arena of Calimport drop some invisible filled cylinders in the enemy spawn area that (so far) seems to "push" PCs out of the area and then a destroy the cylinder before spawning enemies.

In Old School I actually used an invisible cylinder in a pit-trap that "forced" the PC about 8 feet higher in the pit to simulate climbing a rope. A second one forced them up another 8' so they could then just jump out of the pit.

So -- invisible walls "can" push PCs around, but I have a feeling they try to do it horizontally first before vertically, so you might need to "surround" the PC in some invisible walls to limit which way it gets pushed. And then you have to be very careful to take into account if they simple "close" the dialog without completing it you might be left with a trapped PC.
  • huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank-you so much, everyone. I'm really new at this, so I've been just trying to get the hang of the system. All of the suggestions are a huge help, regardless if they work for the cyclops or something else later on.