test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gear Score Craziness

myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
Yes, I am a casual player so I don't have characters with anything above an r7 enchant, and most have r5 and r6. Only one character has 3 artifacts and the highest is blue/rare. I have T2 purple gear and a lesser vorpal weapon enchant. I am still missing a few boons from Shar, but have them all from DR and IWD.

My GS is just above 13k, and it seems to work ok for me. However, if I ever try to PUG a dungeon, some of the players seems to think that is just such a low GS. Heck, I know several players personally that don't have near a 13k GS (other casual players).

But, I am not here to gripe about dungeons/PUGs as I don't have enough playing time to do a lot of dungeons.

I just wonder how in the world people have GS of 19-21k? I just saw a thread here where several players are talking so matter-of-fact about some of their characters having a "low" GS of 15k, but that seems pretty high to me.

Does it take being loaded out with all r10 enchants, perfects on weapon/armour, all boons, and 3 purple artifacts to hit the 19k+ mark?

This just all seems a bit whack to me. Some people seem so hung-up on GS . . .
SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    translucentwolftranslucentwolf Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I believe those with the 'max' gs have:

Aug Companion with slotted r10s in gear, and r10 runestones
    3 epic or legendary artifacts
    All t2.5 gear + r10s
    Armor and weapon kit augments ( new with mod 4 )
    Random 'token' power bump.
    Boons from all previous Campaigns ( and working on Mod 4 boons ).

These will be players who've done everything in the game. Not sure why they're still here. Once you can solo a dungeon, why keep playing? Guess they just come back to blast through Mod 4, and then return to pvp?

Keep is casual, and enjoy the game :)
  • Options
    godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Aug Companion with slotted r10s in gear, and r10 runestones

Stats carried over by an augment pet does NOT increase our GS value.. only stats given by their ACTIVE BONUS are
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Rank 10s definitely help, though for the majority of people I wouldn't recommend it as its 40 stats over a rank 9 but a much higher cost. Artifacts being maxed out will also bump up your gs. There's also feats that boost stats such as toughness. Weapon/armour enchants boost you effectiveness by a lot but do not add any gs. Also iirc companions that add stats boost your gs too. If you're squishy you will generally have a lower gs than those that boost their con and theirfore their hp. Basically a lot of maxing out.

Also augment stats don't boost gs.
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Most stats are inflated by some specific feats, i.e for the GWF there's steely defense that grant you 20% of your defense as power and Disciple of War gives you 25% of your recovery and armor penetration as power so that's a lot of extra stats. However, there's a point where people start to inflate their GS so much that their character is not so good as it could be like those using 2/2 in the armor set or those that are using companions which boost their stats when there are others that work based in a % that give us better results like Dancing blade or Erinyes i.e. Those who had around 19k in mod 3 will find very easy to be above 21k in this module due to the new artifact equipment and boons.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the replies - it's all good, just frustrating to see some players talk about GS below 15k like anything less is garbage.

My poor son keeps trying to do VT, creating parties, some with guildies, but struggles to beat Valindra (I haven't finished VT myself). Then some people leave the party and new ones join and kick him because of his 11k GS. He's a pretty good CW, so he can hold his own.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    active pets gives u 1.5k gs or 300gs per pet to if u take stats boosting pets like 300+power and so
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The silly thing is that you can get an absurdly high GS with some configuration which is far from optimal for playing - another configuration with much lower GS could do much better.

Example: My usual GS (for my DC) is just over 16K - respectable, but not extreme in any way. Now, I could replace some of my useful companions (like the Rust monster) with stat-boosting ones that raise my GS by 300 or even 330. I can also swap my T1 armor set out for 2+2 pieces of T2 armours, giving me a double 2-item bonus, bringing me to around 17.6K GS.

Now, given a choice between a 16K GS DC and a 17.6K GS one, some people would prefer the high GS one, but the simple fact is that the "low" one is much better.

GS isn't everything.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    My poor son keeps trying to do VT, creating parties, some with guildies, but struggles to beat Valindra (I haven't finished VT myself). Then some people leave the party and new ones join and kick him because of his 11k GS. He's a pretty good CW, so he can hold his own.

Uhm...I'd suggest finding a decent guild or run with people from the Legit channel.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    GWF and GF can have so much gs easly. TR has probably the lowest gs of all classes. CW and DC have a bit more gs and HR is a bit lower in gs than GWF/GF. Well as comparison 14,5 k gs TR is something like 16 k gs GWF.
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • Options
    calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Too many people get hung up on it - try the legit channel and I hope down the road the dev's give players the Option to turn off the ability of others to "View" your GS so the GS snobs can't view then boot players such as yourself
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    BTW-- if you have two 60's who can do the IWD artifact quest, it makes no sense to have less than three artifacts on any of your lev 60's. It is also very easy to get to blue on the artifacts from normal questing, pretty quick.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some people are just overreacting really. GS is very helpfull and really i remember how it was hard in other games to count other's gs. And here it is all nice counted. GS should be always visible. Some people have clearly problem with distinguishing the difference where is it fault of people attitude not error of programmers. Programmers did very good job with introducing gs. It is up to people who take it too serious. I remember how it started in module 2 when people were looking for 14 k+ gs for PK... That is really unbelievable but true. How the heck could you require 14 k gs on 8,2 k+ gs instance? Hilarious. Also all others instances were exaggerated in requiring gs by party makers. The border when people gone crazy about gs was module 2. Before it was normal you could get easly party on t2 for set with 8-9 k gs. What is even more surprising is that those people with so low gs were much better than those 14 k gs lovers. They are actually empty inside as i've often noticed only gs and no will to learn or trying to get better, oh but they do have worship to argues. It is all up to people how much gs they will require, do not blame programmers.
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't like to describe this, but here you go:

How to get high GS:

- Never use % based boons, go for the direct Ratings boons
    - Never use % based active bonuses, always go to "ratings" active bonus companions,
    - Use at least Rank 7 Enchantments
    - Use feats that can increase gearscore. Example: Tougness increases your total Hit Points = GS

Conclusion:

This is a stupid way to enter dungeons, being forced to have 15k GS to enter into a dungeon..is dumb. How in the nine hells I will know that I am not getting a kiddo with this grandma wallet into the dungeon?
    Better to have NO GEARSCORE at all. This would force the gaming community inspect the party members and see if their stats are well distributed, rather than some "sum" number.

I recommend you enter a good guild, where people value you for your skill, not your "lenght"...
    My active bonus companions give %'s, all of them. Stamina regen, Action Points Gain, % AoE resist.... things that give no gearscore, but that help you alot.

Good luck to you getting more GS,
    Have fun,

Almondum.
  • Options
    shooooooootshoooooooot Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    today i had a party, which i requested to join, the leader (a female CW whom i shall not name --> see rules) asked my gs, now as a casual player slowly grinding that Profound set, 9.1k gs is pretty decent in my eyes. but no, instablock... apparently it is shamefull to be a lv60 TR with a gs of 15k or less...

Then i joined a party who's leader (Male GWF, no name ^) didn't even ask my gs, the moment i pm'ed him my class, gs etc... he just said "lol, who needs gs, do you have a pair of functioning brains and do you know how your class works? Cuz if you have that, welcome!"
    We fckin trashed the other team in pvp, WHILST HAVING 6K LOWER GS, so yeah... gs isn't everything, it sure does look fancy...
  • Options
    dualisticdualistic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This whole GS nonsese is just so amazingly stupid, it was the same in WoW. You get a bunch of these idiots who demand almost twice the gear you acually need to do the dungeon beacse of several reasons:

a) They're stupid/suck
    b)They're lazy and if a run takes 5-15min longer it might aswell take a lifetime.
    c)They're kids who feel excluded in rl and are compelled to exclude others to feel better about themselves
    d)All of the above

I was doing FH the other day and the tank bailed at the last boss and we had to get new members, i was #1 on damage and #1 on healing with my 9k gs SW, suddently i was kicked, why? Low gs, dosen't matter that i was out damaging the 2 GWFs that had 13 and 15k gs while healing the party at the same time, hell no, a number wasn't double the needed to que for the dungeon so i had to go.

They should just get rid of it, people are just to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to use it properly.
  • Options
    osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yesterday my HR was kicked out of a party. I have 19.7k gs, all maxed out.

Dont be upset about gs <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I just laugh at them. My case shows even with high gs u can get kicked because people are also class <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>…
  • Options
    urkmockingjayurkmockingjay Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2014
    went into a pvp match on my 60 cw has about 11k gs

I was matched against players all of which had over 18k gs.

They thought it was funny, treated me like a pet. I couldn't touch them, killed myself on their blue dragons, and in general just ran around and yapped without doing anything. Wonderful matchmaking system they have.

Anyway next match I was with all 7or so k gs in blues and I over matched them.

Was not fun either way.

If they are gonna have gs, then they need to adjust the queues to put similar together.

Those guys don't play any better, but they play different.

Like when I die , they wait for my soulforge (which I don't have ) rez so they can kill me again.

They expect to take 20k damage from blue dragon glyphs, etc.

Just different. given similar gear ; similar results could happen for most people.

Just to many things to put on your gear and such that mess up stuff.

I just play best I can, sometimes I eat the bear, sometimes the bear gets me.
  • Options
    dualisticdualistic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yesterday my HR was kicked out of a party. I have 19.7k gs, all maxed out.

Dont be upset about gs <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I just laugh at them. My case shows even with high gs u can get kicked because people are also class <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>…

Lol i'm not upset, especially not beacuse of that incident, it was hillarious but i just think this whole GS thing is just so beyond dumb that if it was a person it wouldn't be allowed to eat soup without a life preserver. So i get allitle carried away.

It's just an example of how stupid people are combined with something like GS. I utterly hated it when it was introduced in WoW and i hate it just as much now.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Great discussion! I feel better about my 13k GS (TR) already! :)

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well to be honest 12-11k is really low. I'm at 12k right now with my SW, and I'm using a blue off hand and mismatched gear. I have 1 purple artifact, 2 blues, and rank 7's. I only have 2 boons in sharandar, 1 in Dread Ring and 1 in Tyranny. While I wouldn't kick someone out of a group for low gs, I would assume that it's a new player with no idea what they're doing, and that we'd effectively be doing the dungeon with four people. I haven't been wrong very often with that, and when I am, I'm at least pleasantly surprised. A big thing that can be done from the sound of it is to get some fey blessings and start farming. A green artifact can be leveled to blue for slightly less than 99 rank 4's. Pretty quick and easy to get in a night of farming.
  • Options
    laks0nlaks0n Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've had a lot of issues with GS when I started playing PvE, but overtime I made my own little system that has served me very well. Being flawed as it is, it's quite easy to get around it. Here are a few tips for you:

1. Getting to 13k is quite easy. 13k is something I see as quite alright and viable for every dungeon. It takes some time, but easy. I got to it on my HR (almost nobody wants HR in lower tier dungeons, everyone wants CW/GWF carnage, so getting items was a bit hard but I could make my own groups) In 2-3 weeks. Getting 1st boon is easy in any campaign, and 3 of them give you 250 gs. Second and third dont take too long either.

2. Dont be afraid to raise your GS in pugs. When I was 11-12k I said I was 13-14k GS. I was only kicked once, for 2 months of dungeons, and it was because they inspected me, I was still 2nd in dmg. It just shows how meaningless GS is. As long as you do your part, you shouldn't have any regrets about this.

3. Most pugs dont give a **** about your enchants/stone. If you are a casual player (or a fresh toon), go for all stat boosting companions. A green companion raises your GS by 110. That's a potential of 550 GS. I know there is a arc promo that gives you a green stat boosting companion, check the promo pages. I have 3 of them total, but 2 of them I got from a limited code.

4. Make your own groups. Like I said, people dont inspect often. Hell, I'd even say they never inspect. I often had 15-16k people boost me trough Pirate king with 11k GS. I loved it, they loved it. Nobody made a big fuss about me being low gear. As long as the group is progressing, nobody gives a ****.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    TR has the lowest GS of all the classes. It takes considerably more effort and only people who plays TR understand.

If you already have rank 7s and T2 armor set, the next step is to get a VT weapon set, complete the boons and raise your artifacts to epic. That will get you your 15~16k GS.
  • Options
    nekromaniak666nekromaniak666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 94
    edited August 2014
    GS isnt everything but means much.
    As lazaroth666 wrote, some classes have abilities to get extra stats from different stats (i am GWF and thx to extra bonuses from feats, i have 19k GS in PvP gear with only rank 8 enchants, artifacts 90-99lvl).
    In PvE isnt GS as much important as in PvP. In PvE people must know tactics and their role. In PvP it is mirror of your toughness or dmg. In PvE party with 12-16 GS can be as good as full 16 GS party. In PvP 12-16 GS party will die under power of full 16k GS party.
    Also many things depends on your playstyle and if you are smart or dumb.
    Everything will come with time. I got my 19k GS after 7months of playing (free user btw). You will get it over 20k GS one day, just keep going forward.
    [SIGPIC]Hellsing[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    GS is for people that don't know how to play. It's quite simple.
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    whatever people say to you, if you dont pvp, there is no need to go up 13k gs, for nothing on the game right now, you can invest on perfect enchantment and use a stone instead. but with all those artifacts and boons, it is not that hard to hit 15/16gs with "kinda cheap" R7 enchantments and normal t2 set and t2.5 weapon set(cn, vt).
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm probably gonna catch hell from someone for saying this but, there's really only two reasons why someone would need to be massively overgeared to run a dungeon.

Reason 1: Optimizing for speed runs. If everyone on a team has 15-16k GS and they're running a dungeon that only requires players have 9k GS, they can do something like skip heals and buffs in favor of more DPS to burn down the boss faster.

Reason 2: They're doing something wrong. I think a lot of people playing this are used to other MMOs where it's all tab targeting and you just stand in one spot and keep spamming your attacks or heals while the tank stands in the middle of the room spamming agro generating powers on the boss. Doing that here is a good way to end up dead but, instead of adapting to the gameplay and modifying their playstyle, some people just overgear the dungeon.

I actually got in an argument with a guild I was in because some members were telling newer players that they absolutely had to have 13-14k GS to run dungeons that only required a 8-9k GS. You don't. It'll be harder and you might have some deaths and a wipe or two but, if your team has never run that dungeon and doesn't know what they're doing that might happen anyways. Think of it like doing a time trial on a race track. The F1 is going to get a much better time than the stock car but, that doesn't mean the stock car can't finish a lap.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    R6s are actually the most bang for your buck, or performance for AD. Everything past that is diminishing returns. GS is the most used and most useless stat in the game (that or paingiver it is a close tie. I can run a DD like garbage and make a mess for my team and get paingiver). OK my HR and GF have some R8s and 9s but their my babies and you have to spend that AD on something right? Most of my toons if they have more than a R6 it is something I am refining to sell because R8s have a decent ROI. I have and have been on hardcore grind PVE guilds that want to maximise DD runtimes. Truth be told it is only really worth it if you want to play really hard for a little over an hour a couple times a day. And as others have mentioned try Legit where a request for GS is most likely to be met by derision and sarcasm.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I cannot stress this hard enough: join the nw_legit_community chat channel. I almost refuse to use PE LFG to form groups. If its not from my guild or from the legit channel I won't do a dungeon. Sure, I have a 15K gs now. I've worked pretty hard to get it on my main, but I still will not group with people who are elitists and insist on a certain GS and refuse to help new players learn the game. I want new players to do end game group content, and if I am not willing to help those less experienced than me then how can I complain about anything?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    kingcalouskingcalous Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2014
    smulch wrote: »
    GS is for people that don't know how to play. It's quite simple.

TRUTH!

I was in PvP the other day with another GF, he was TERRIBLE, getting 1 shotted blah blah blah.

He was blaming the other people on his team (including me) so I inspected him. He had 4 enchants I think, lessers and rank 4's or 5's rest were empty, green artifacts, blue gear mostly which was also PvE gear, ect ect.

I called him out, and he said "I have the same GS as you idiot learn to play moron" or something to that effect.

I am full rank 10's and legendary artifacts, full boons and I was 3v1ing on enemy cap with zero deaths.

He had Defense stacked to like 6-7k or something <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like that which was inflating his GS so he thought his gear was as good as mine.

Thats a pretty big problem with this community in both PvE and PvP.

GS (GENERALLY) doesn't mean a thing, ESPECIALLY in PvP but also in PvE.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Keep is casual, and enjoy the game :)

Best advice ever
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.