test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF's Mod 4 Block + PvP= Error

bettarghbettargh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
I am a guardian fighter PvP player mostly with conqueror profound/corrupted black ice full set gear. I am writing this in order to declare that , maybe, the developers of Nwn didn't take into consideration all variables in PvP when they adjusted block into the current settings.

As of mod 4 Block absorbs 80% of incoming damage and makes us immune to stun & prone (I don't mind taking 20% damage, I am a GF I can handle it). But as long as we take damage we can not avoid a CW's ray of frost (a level 3 or 4 at will ability) stacks of freeze and as a result, despite of "blocking" the attack we become immobile and unable to do anything. The combo continues with entangling force (still can not do any abilities) Ice knife , maybe another round and we are dead, without any real chance of reacting.

All other classes have some means of escaping, the TR disappears into stealth, the HR does the same, the GWF sprints away and even if caught opens unstoppable and cancels any effect on him. The GF does not have any means of escaping, since we can not sprint or enter stealth mode. Up until now, we had our block mechanism to keep us alive.... Now, we can not block ray of frost...

All we got to do is charge the CW and hope to kill him before he blinks away (usually he does, since he has 3 blinks to get away from us while we have 1 big charge , lunging strike, 1 short charge, bull rush that usually doesn't cover a CW blink distance, and 1 super small charge , threatening rush).

All the folks who play GF do it simply out of pure love for the class. We were never OP, almost always we were left out of PVE runs & most people in PvP do not do that good as other classes, BUT up until Mod 3 WE HAD A CHANCE OF SURVIVING... With the current block mechanism a 4th level at-will CW ability is our doom.

I don't fancy playing a game that doesn't give me a chance to survive. Something needs to be done here, maybe include the freeze effect to the effects that block pevents, maybe give us a cleanse mechanism, maybe give us more uses of lunging strike (3 as per a CW blinks), maybe give us a mean of escaping by running away...

Not all people play PVE only, I believe the developers when they say that in PVE the boost for a GF with the current block mechanism is great... Some of us PvP with this awesome class and right now you have taken the fun away from us.

I do not ask to boost us, heck take all the boost away, we will still play as a GF, we demand to have a chance to fight back in even terms with the CW... As it is now we don't have this chance.

Is this what you planned? If not do something about it!

PS Thanks for reading my post & excuse my bad english!
Azral Ironforge@ Guardian FIghter Level 70
Norbir Hammerblow@Oathbound Paladin Level 70
Post edited by bettargh on

Comments

• hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Ray of frost has always gone through block. It's just more apparent now because it's the go-to at-will for CWs.

The thing is now that if it didn't, a CW really wouldn't be able to do much of anything against a GF since you guys can block like forever now.

The GFs that do the best against me on my CW go all offensive. You won't win by blocking against a CW. The only things you want to block are entangling force and ice knife.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • bettarghbettargh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ray of frost has always gone through block. It's just more apparent now because it's the go-to at-will for CWs.
    aye thanks for letting me know, I ve never played a CW so far. But still the problem remains.....
  • shadowbunsliceshadowbunslice Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    bettargh wrote: »
    I am a guardian fighter PvP player mostly with conqueror profound/corrupted black ice full set gear. I am writing this in order to declare that , maybe, the developers of Nwn didn't take into consideration all variables in PvP when they adjusted block into the current settings.

As of mod 4 Block absorbs 80% of incoming damage and makes us immune to stun & prone (I don't mind taking 20% damage, I am a GF I can handle it). But as long as we take damage we can not avoid a CW's ray of frost (a level 3 or 4 at will ability) stacks of freeze and as a result, despite of "blocking" the attack we become immobile and unable to do anything. The combo continues with entangling force (still can not do any abilities) Ice knife , maybe another round and we are dead, without any real chance of reacting.

All the folks who play GF do it simply out of pure love for the class. We were never OP, almost always we were left out of PVE runs & most people in PvP do not do that good as other classes, BUT up until Mod 3 WE HAD A CHANCE OF SURVIVING... With the current block mechanism a 4th level at-will CW ability is our doom.

I do not ask to boost us, heck take all the boost away, we will still play as a GF, we demand to have a chance to fight back in even terms with the CW... As it is now we don't have this chance.

Chill has alway bypassed GF block, from conduit of ice on tab as well. The big problem here is not GF block, which some would say is now too powerful, it is CW current OPness. Everyone is having issues with new CW mechanics. They need to be toned down, only the people who play CW and care nothing at all about the other classes are likely to say differently. Having said that I am not sure I agree that GFs should be able to fight equally with a CW. CW is a natural counter to GF, just like TR is a natural counter to CW. Potent range, and offense and CC beat potent defense, just like stealth to bring a fight up close and personal as well as CC immunity and high damage beat those things.
    GFs are in a really good spot right now, they are just being overshadowed by what has happened to CW.
    Also, the statement that GFs have never been OP is simply untrue. Mod 1 GFs were one of the most powerful classes in both PVE and PVP, thing is they have never had the toughness to support their aggro, or their claim as the "tank" class. They have it now, so be happy.
  • jessebrownjrjessebrownjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited August 2014
    Aye im a GF master , and since Mod 4 dropped i HAVEN'T played pvp or Neverwinter for that matter . Thing is afaik CWs are bugged atm and prior to that the key to defeating them is and always will be anticipate , analyze , bait , and last but NOT least assault. Bait out those dodges , watch those hand casts , then HOP! on them , bait block and rinse and repeat. Oh and about that RoF , the goal is to never block it , but to go ALL OUT on them. Trust me , you'll have them teleporting away from you in a cowardly fashion. Bon apetit!:o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tenacity Who? Versus GF Master means nada.
    edited August 2014
    Mod 1 GFs were one of the most powerful classes in both PVE and PVP, thing is they have never had the toughness to support their aggro, or their claim as the "tank" class. They have it now, so be happy.

So we were OP but it killed us, while others are OP and kill.... If this is it, I dont want to be OP :D

jessebrownjr : I ve never had a prblem with CWs before, they were #1 on my kill list...
  • regulusknighrregulusknighr Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    devs according freezing should be stopped at block as well as any CC appears to be a bug that has not been corrected
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the freeze is fine, (main as a GF now and my PvP char) its just the amount of damage storm spell does (procs alot too). freeze is the only really way to deal with a GF apart from shard on tab. without the freeze it would be very easy for a GF to close hte gap and just eat all their spells.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
    edited August 2014
    So we were OP but it killed us, while others are OP and kill.... If this is it, I dont want to be OP :D

Naw it was more like Mod 3 GF and GWF role reversal, in terms of killing ability. Mod 1 GF could pump out a lot of damage, meanwhile GWF was usually near the bottom of the charts. GWF were tougher than GF, but they had now way to hold aggro, if they had just given GF the big sword, and given GWF the aggro abilities and switched names while keeping the mechanics the same.......... It would have been the closest things have ever been to class balance in PVE lol.
  • regulusknighrregulusknighr Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    I think the freeze is fine, (main as a GF now and my PvP char) its just the amount of damage storm spell does (procs alot too). freeze is the only really way to deal with a GF apart from shard on tab. without the freeze it would be very easy for a GF to close hte gap and just eat all their spells.

permafreeze offers no chance for your enemy to move, it is unfair
  • lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    CW's as ALWAYS been the GF's arch enemy. It's just that we used to be able to beat them on a more balanced scale. What I have a problem with is that **** feat that hits me for 8k's, and can proc several times with a few seconds get the CW gets lucky.
  • xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    As someone who has been maining a PvP Cw since Open Beta, I can also reinforce that Chill has always gone through block. Icy rays has always rooted in place (However you can block the damage).

The problem this mod is in the ridiculous assailing force feat (Which by the way, your block does nothing to. It is unmitigated damage so hits you for its true amount).

I don't enjoy the current play style of Cw, and as such have built my character to suit when the inevitable nerf bat comes swinging down (I would recommend sooner rather than later).

Now in saying that, the GFs who have done the best against me are never walking towards me with the shield up, thats how you lose against a CW. Letting me Stand still and channel Ray of Frost, or Bunny hop for the single cast without constantly pressuring me means that you are going to die. The GFs who pressure me and are constantly in my face force me to dodge (Because Anvil is absolute beastmode now), because I cannot afford to drop below 40% hp.

I feel your pain, even though I am on the other side of the screen. I don't enjoy it and I wish that Cws did not have to rely on both Assailing and SS to do the damage for them (Skill less).
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    devs according freezing should be stopped at block as well as any CC appears to be a bug that has not been corrected

Wrong, chill stacks have NEVER been blockable.
  • yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The last class that needs to be complaining about having ONE class in this mod that counters them VERY effectively, is the GF. They are putting out insane amounts of damage now, that they were not before. Their mobility is amazing and survivability is great.
    This game is NOT about 1v1.
  • mxtimemxtime Member Posts: 316 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    CW's as ALWAYS been the GF's arch enemy. It's just that we used to be able to beat them on a more balanced scale. What I have a problem with is that **** feat that hits me for 8k's, and can proc several times with a few seconds get the CW gets lucky.

who is the arch enemy of cw
    plz do tell
    edited August 2014
    mxtime wrote: »
    who is the arch enemy of cw
    plz do tell

At the moment there isn't a real effective counter to a Cw except for another CW.

However, seeing that you want to go down this train lets take a look at this shall we?

Pre Mod 1: 1 shot TRs
    Mod 1: Sent Gwfs, 1 shot Trs, beginning of the Perma TR
    Mod 2: Well played HRS, Gwfs, Permas.
    Mod 3: Gwfs, HRs, Permas.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
    edited August 2014
    At the moment there isn't a real effective counter to a Cw except for another CW.

However, seeing that you want to go down this train lets take a look at this shall we?

Not sure I agree with all of that, you really hate TRs huh? lol. GFs and CWs were killing machines pre mod 1. Mod 1 CWs using tenebrous enchants were ripping everyone to shreds. That is if I have my mods right. I remember necrotic damage got nerfed shortly after the release of sharandar.

@mxtime, Trs can counter CW just fine these days, but not everything is the same. ITC is only useful as a cc break, not to prevent damage. You want to cancel your flurries early with dodge if a CW starts to target you. Nip, bite, and chew them up. Well played, a cw will never target you with more than one power, and that isn't enough to kill you, or pull you from stealth. Even a very good cw won't be killing you fast, and if they ignore you they die. If they are thoroughly distracted and a GWF rolls up and blindsides them......... game over. CWs go down fast when they start to take damage, that much has not changed.
    edited August 2014
    Not sure I agree with all of that, you really hate TRs huh? lol. GFs and CWs were killing machines pre mod 1. Mod 1 CWs using tenebrous enchants were ripping everyone to shreds. That is if I have my mods right. I remember necrotic damage got nerfed shortly after the release of sharandar.

@mxtime, Trs can counter CW just fine these days, but not everything is the same. ITC is only useful as a cc break, not to prevent damage. You want to cancel your flurries early with dodge if a CW starts to target you. Nip, bite, and chew them up. Well played, a cw will never target you with more than one power, and that isn't enough to kill you, or pull you from stealth. Even a very good cw won't be killing you fast, and if they ignore you they die. If they are thoroughly distracted and a GWF rolls up and blindsides them......... game over. CWs go down fast when they start to take damage, that much has not changed.

TRs have always been Cws worst nightmare. I am talking about the highly competitive Pvp scene. 1 Shot Trs in Mod 1 - Think LB + Tenes, Or SE (Back before it copped a damage nerf) when it could crit and deal 75% of your healths damage at close to full HP. Then Permas. Sure Meatball was rough if you managed to catch the TR. However, those TRs who could hold the rotation extremely well came out ahead alot more often than not.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Everything was predestined to go this way when they introduced casting classes that fired off powers instantly without any casting time/casting bars.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    edited August 2014

h......................................
    edited August 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Everything was predestined to go this way when they introduced casting classes that fired off powers instantly without any casting time/casting bars.

u got what u wanted enjoy your tr now
    edited August 2014

tr cant counter top cw right now in 1v1
    and most cw spec for pve just like all tr spec fot pve mod 1
    thats why they were not viable
    pure pvp cw spec had more good days then tr
    edited August 2014
    mxtime wrote: »
    u got what u wanted enjoy your tr now

Somebody gimme a translation of this guy...
    ...because I clearly understand the dude is whiney about something, but can't seem to make out what.

Been more than like 3 months of his whining in the TR forums, and I still can't get what he's saying.
  • grac3n77grac3n77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well everything is not really ok with the new mechanics you cant dodge you cant move you cant escape even if you think you do because of the bad *** dps or dot, while playing pvp for a day now I'm getting used to it Like me as a tr our stealth are already useless some of the skill of hr and CW can actually render our stealth useless (I'm not a perma stealth!). As you can see those who do PVP most TR right now use smoke bomb or impact shot and impossible. the only problem with the impossible to catch right now is you can still have damage even if you do stealth at the same time.
    edited August 2014
    Actually a developer reading this? Anyone can give an official answer about these GF changes and PvP?

After the third day of PvPing, I became sick n tired of becoming CWs punchbag... I quit pvp until this sh#t is fixed.... Nice going cryptic, you make me quit Nwn...
    edited August 2014
    Actually a developer reading this? Anyone can give an official answer about these GF changes and PvP?

After the third day of PvPing, I became sick n tired of becoming CWs punchbag... I quit pvp until this sh#t is fixed.... Nice going cryptic, you make me quit Nwn...

On the flip side, I've seen many of my own friends having a lot more success than before.

...maybe its not the system that's the problem. Maybe its you?

How many different build options have you tested out since the mod arrived just a few days ago? In my case I've tried like 5 or 6.. and still experimenting to see what best fits this new trend.

I mean, with no disrespect, if you're trying to do what you've been doing before the mod arrived, with the exact same build or tactics, if this is the case then really there's no excuse at all. Every patch brings a new line of adaptations to be made, and I'm kinda guessing you're falling behind the curve and not trying at all.

Otherwise, if you've been constantly experimenting and changing builds, and still not finding what you're looking for, in that case I hope you meet better luck with other games that suit your taste.
  • jooscluesjoosclues Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014

All other classes have some means of escaping, the TR disappears into stealth, the HR does the same, the GWF sprints away and even if caught opens unstoppable and cancels any effect on him. The GF does not have any means of escaping, since we can not sprint or enter stealth mode. Up until now, we had our block mechanism to keep us alive.... Now, we can not block ray of frost...

All we got to do is charge the CW and hope to kill him before he blinks away (usually he does, since he has 3 blinks to get away from us while we have 1 big charge , lunging strike, 1 short charge, bull rush that usually doesn't cover a CW blink distance, and 1 super small charge , threatening rush).

I don't fancy playing a game that doesn't give me a chance to survive. Something needs to be done here, maybe include the freeze effect to the effects that block pevents, maybe give us a cleanse mechanism, maybe give us more uses of lunging strike (3 as per a CW blinks), maybe give us a mean of escaping by running away...

Not all people play PVE only, I believe the developers when they say that in PVE the boost for a GF with the current block mechanism is great... Some of us PvP with this awesome class and right now you have taken the fun away from us.

I agree. My main character is a GF. I resisted the urge to make another GWF since I like the challenge especially in PVP. Up to before the update I was always been able to survive long enough and that was my victory.

Sure I don't do much damage or run fast enough. I was happy enough to be able to say I took on 2 or 3 n PVP and lasted long enough. Now a chain of attacks from a CW when i'm proned and i'm done in seconds. Its bad enough that we are a dying breed here this update made it worse.

Once we hit the level cap there is nothing else to do but PVP. give us GFs a chance!!!!

Selene Falkyrie
    GF
    edited August 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    On the flip side, I've seen many of my own friends having a lot more success than before.

...maybe its not the system that's the problem. Maybe its you?

How many different build options have you tested out since the mod arrived just a few days ago? In my case I've tried like 5 or 6.. and still experimenting to see what best fits this new trend.

I mean, with no disrespect, if you're trying to do what you've been doing before the mod arrived, with the exact same build or tactics, if this is the case then really there's no excuse at all. Every patch brings a new line of adaptations to be made, and I'm kinda guessing you're falling behind the curve and not trying at all.

Otherwise, if you've been constantly experimenting and changing builds, and still not finding what you're looking for, in that case I hope you meet better luck with other games that suit your taste.

As soon as they give free respecs in order to try a...trillion different specs, I will do so...

believe me, spend 10 mins of your life and read this forum. Disregard my opinion, see what the others think...then you will return to this post and begin to wonder with me if things will get fixed soon

For the part of not trying at all , speak for your self mate, when you hit the perma freeze and kill all players on the map
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    grac3n77 wrote: »
    Well everything is not really ok with the new mechanics you cant dodge you cant move you cant escape even if you think you do because of the bad *** dps or dot, while playing pvp for a day now I'm getting used to it Like me as a tr our stealth are already useless some of the skill of hr and CW can actually render our stealth useless (I'm not a perma stealth!). As you can see those who do PVP most TR right now use smoke bomb or impact shot and impossible. the only problem with the impossible to catch right now is you can still have damage even if you do stealth at the same time.

Impact Shot is making a comeback because it's effective against the CW to some degree. 1) It interrupts casting, dispells SotEA, disrupts chill stacks slightly. 2) It stuns from stealth. 3) It procs Action Rush to build AP incredibly fast, and your daily is very deadly! 4) It's ranged. 5) It actually does huge crits with vorpal! 6) It's a finisher when the CW attempts to flee

On the other hand, Smoke Bomb has an activation delay and CW can blink out of it.
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Back onto the topic of GF, today I got teamed up with a GF who topped the ACT logs in DPS, killed 40+ people! in a 1 hour match, against an equally BiS CW. If you want a point of comparison, this CW destroyed my DC in 4 seconds.