test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, At What Point Did You Start Needing Potions?

jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
There is a little game my friends and I play whenever we start a new type of Character.
We try to see just how far into the Game we can make it without either dying or using a healing potion in regular gameplay (not counting Dungeons, Skirmishes, or PvP). So far I am starting Neverdeath with my Dragonborn Warlock and have seen no sign that I will need to start using them anytime soon.
How about you folks? What are you all seeing out there in Forum Land?

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
Post edited by jorifice1 on

Comments

• shine25shine25 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I never use potions, nor do I walk around with kits, even in end game dungeons.
    im a DC btw if that matters.
  • dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Definitely something that varies by class. My Great Weapon Fighter was chugging potions as early as the Tower District, my Control Wizard around Blackdagger Ruins. My warlock's level 23 and has never once touched them.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I once did the entire game quests from 1-60 with no twinking (and not using the AH) without using a single potion on a GWF. Usually though on melees I need to use potions for the final boss of Mount Hotelow. Sometimes this also happens with the teleporting boss in the Chasm or the Dire Wolf boss.

However, so far my Warlock has (with no twinking or Ah purchases) easily got to level 20 without being in the slightest danger whatsoever of needing a potion. I am curious to see just how long this lasts.....
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've only had to use potions at level 60 and that was with low lifesteal. Prior to mod 4, my cw can go into the danger zone and come out topped off after a shard, steal time or oppressive force, if I play right. Not so much in mod 4 now, but I'm still not a potion chugging machine. I have to be more careful when to use it and when I think I will heal myself to a safe zone.

There are still some mobs that will melt me if I'm not careful at all, such as the elite wights in IWD and kessell's retreat. Three of them beaming shadow bolts at me will melt my face in no time flat, even after chugging a pot.

Otherwise I've kept all the pots I've picked up from leveling and use them for alchemy.. I'm such a pack rat :rolleyes:
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    As a DC I don't think you'll need potions so soon, despite going slower in the leveling.

As a CW I think it's hard to not use some in the beginning, because it's near impossible to not receive damage spikes with normal attacks. Now with Mod 4 I think it's even harder because the baseline powers were nerfed as hell, and things only will get better after you get the capstone feats and/or some specific powers. (I feel so sorry for new CWs right now)

With GWF and GF is also very hard to not use some potions, because it's much easier to receive damage. I don't really know about these because I normally don't dig on melee classes :S
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I used them in the game in beta and after but took a long break and came back after the revision and the changes to crafting and for enhancement and rune stones for leveling them and have used far less and in some cases none at all with the SW I just start he is level 11 and just walks through things "which they changed so much it not the same mission any more". With the gear and drop changes it is a step in the correct direction but also they took a step back with leveling too fast and cutting the mission so short its almost half the size or less.
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In my experience, melees like GWFs or GFs will need potions soon and a lot, while ranged like HRs will need only on rare circumstances (or won't need at all), this is because every enemy on this game walk like a turtle and hit so slow that they are easy to dodge.
  • harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Well, I use them enough that whenever I got down to 100 in my pack I buy 100 more.

My first potion use? Probably within 5 minutes of picking up my first potion drop. :)
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the first time I needed to use a potion was in my mid 20s on my devotion cleric, before people started learning how to be tanks with guardian fighters or moving around. And being the cleric I almost always had all the aggro so was constantly dashing around planting fields, sunbursts and such just to stay alive while a dozen or so mobs were charging at me.

As far as playing the new Warlock class, I haven't had to use a potion except when I do something stupid or my connection screws up. Otherwise I just use a potion to top myself off because of a trap I just happen to run across. Currently she's level 45.