What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remember when this game came out and cryptic promised us

2»

Comments

• ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Emphasis on planned.

Yes, no plan, no announcement and no indication that there will be a free version of dragonborn like which was available for the other premium races. So in addition to the other dirty tricks (why no comment on them?), Cryptic also breaks their promise of only selling consumables and cosmetics (not that they didn't break it before), they also provide the least amount of compensation for it.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »
    Yes, no plan, no announcement and no indication that there will be a free version of dragonborn like which was available for the other premium races. So in addition to the other dirty tricks (why no comment on them?), Cryptic also breaks their promise of only selling consumables and cosmetics (not that they didn't break it before), they also provide the least amount of compensation for it.

You said nothing was planned. I'm just saying that you were right--nothing was planned. But planned doesn't equate to not doable.

No comment to the rest of your statements because....well, I just really don't agree with your assessment of them and would rather decline comment.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You said nothing was planned. I'm just saying that you were right--nothing was planned. But planned doesn't equate to not doable.

No comment to the rest of your statements because....well, I just really don't agree with your assessment of them and would rather decline comment.

Of course it is doable, but as you just confirmed, Cryptic will not do it.

And out of interest, what assessment do you disagree with? That 71€ (sale price) is more than 69€ (steam price) or 70€ (zen price with bonus zen for charging) or that there was no information on Zen store availability beforehand which caused people to pay the full price for the pack instead of using already paid for Zen which resulted in more income for Cryptic?
  • alienwulfalienwulf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As someone who has bought every pack that has come out ans supported the game PWE can charge for any content they want. It is their game and can charge for races, class's anything. What I find that disheartens me is paying a price thinking it's a discount and finding out it isn't. Like having a salesman tell me you got to buy now this price won't last only to find he lied. Same thing, one way to lose customer faith in your word is break it. Enough said from me..
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    kheldryn wrote: »
    My guess would be Cryptic/ARC's definition of "Content" and all other MMO's are different. At least when I pay for something in WoW or SWToR (Blizzard and Bio Ware) I get what I pay for. 75 Bucks for a race? Seriously? for 59 Bucks in WoW I got 2 Races, A mount, A Vanity Pet, NEw Adventuring Zones, PvP Areas, Dungeons and Raid Dungeons, Well worth the Deluxe edition (Though my latest WoW purchase doesn't grant a new race, but everything else is the same), So why wouyld I pay 75, and get less than 1/4 of what I'd get from any other MMO? Sorry Cryptic/ARC, as much as I like your games you guys are going off the deep end now.

The difference is you never have to pay anything in Neverwinter. You can't play that content in WoW unless you pay 60 bucks and 15/month.

So to some they don't mind paying 75 for a race when they're not paying anything else.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is what I for see happening 1) a free dragonborn race with the 4th edition stats and bonuses more closely of that in the books here just look http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonborn

They have bonuses to Abilities +2 Cha, and either +2 Str or +2 Con

Size Medium so like that of a human or orc size

Traits Dragonborn Fury,Draconic Heritage, and Dragon Breath

Now I can see them releasing at some point a free version after a few months or after sales from the packs have dropped off to were they decide they need a boost of players and then add them as free which would boost players again as those who waited can now play a version of a free dragonborn.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I'm very surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. But to put in my 2 cents, name another MMO that gives expansion content free to all players. Neverwinter is one of the most free-to-play games there are. People need to realize that Cryptic does need to pay their employees, and PWE needs their cut, and I'm guessing Wizards of the Coast needs their cut too. So they have to charge for some things. You think the servers just run on free electricity? You think the devs and the GMs and the community team does this as volunteer work? Just saying. The Dragonborn pack isn't a "need-to-have" item. It's nice, but you can get to level cap and fully enjoy every area of the game without it, so stop complaining and just go play the game, and be grateful. Thank you!
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »
    You just posted them.
    Races are not consumables and because they have unique abilities are not cosmetics either.

He posted this

"All quests, areas and expansions will be free, but you'll be able to pay for pets, fancy clothing items and consumables. The release date has been pushed back to late 2012 to give Cryptic a bit of time to change the way the entire game works."

How do you get that races are free from that? It states, Quests, Areas, and Expansions will be free. That is the only thing these quotes promise for free.

Races are cosmetic, if you're picking it for it's looks or background, and they're a booster item, if you're picking it for certain skills or stats. It is neither core content, nor is a certain race required to access the game and all it's dungeons.

Not to mention, he also says that it's not in place yet, but that is their goals.

""You'll be able to access all of the classes without having to pay anything, and we will not be selling powers. It's not like you can just go to the store and buy a level 30 sword as a level 10 character. So we haven't talked too much in terms of the details yet but that's our high level approach," said Velasquez."

A goal, does not equate to a promise, or a set ground of rules.

If you can actually find a quote stating that races were supposed to be free, then you'll have some grounds to argue on.
  • laks0nlaks0n Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is a first time I have seen mods actualy trying to reason with the angry mob that we are. Thx for trying guys and girls, but it's pointless. If somebody found that magical quote saying that races will be f2p they can try their luck on court, otherwise just let them rage.

Although I will give you one piece of advice. There is a reason this argument is spiking so much compared to menzos/elfs. Menzos and elves had stronger racials than f2p races (in my opinion, and numbers) but they were disregardable. Dragonborns have a lot of bonus. I dont want to argue anybody, it is your game and your right to do whatever you think is best. But it's the consumers that are raging here, and you are known to play with fire, stretching that grey area more and more...
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kreatyve wrote: »
    I'm very surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. But to put in my 2 cents, name another MMO that gives expansion content free to all players. Neverwinter is one of the most free-to-play games there are. People need to realize that Cryptic does need to pay their employees, and PWE needs their cut, and I'm guessing Wizards of the Coast needs their cut too. So they have to charge for some things. You think the servers just run on free electricity? You think the devs and the GMs and the community team does this as volunteer work? Just saying. The Dragonborn pack isn't a "need-to-have" item. It's nice, but you can get to level cap and fully enjoy every area of the game without it, so stop complaining and just go play the game, and be grateful. Thank you!

Allods online. Which this pricing structure is becoming very similar. That game is heavy the term we are not allowed to mention. Just about every f2p mmo ive tried gave its content for free. The CS varied though. After live release Id totally agree this game was the best F2P game on the market, but after a year and the changes I can no longer say that.

Allods online is a great model of how not to run things. Things are similiar here but a little more subtle. The systems hide certain obvious comparisons, but the most different thing about this game is how they handle progression. Allods was a raid/refine progression. This is campaign/refine progression.

But on the topic of this title. I care little about the dragon born. So I didnt buy it. Maybe Ill get it later, depending on what changes they may make to things like the artifact it includes.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If I bother to save all my Zen I earn in surveys and Bing rewards for 1-2 months I can buy a Dragonborne pack - FREE. I'd mostly be getting it for the bag, and the other items. If I HAVE TO play another chr... I suppose this would be one... and combo it with a SW. There are ways and means if you are willing to put in effort for it.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Well, not directly, but indirectly certainly. Dragonborn=potential best PvE race, XP booster=lvl60 in 3 hours, several packs give AD. AD gives gear. Gear+lvl gives power. The same day the patch was released there were 15K+ SWs mere hours later. He may not directly be selling power directly, but dam is he walking a very thin line there. The fact it's also possible to get it for free is irrelevant. You can buy power. End of story. Not saying I mind or don't mind, but it's possible.

But it's all academic. seeing it's a empty statement to begin with. Of course you can buy a lvl30 sword with the AD from your pack at lvl10. You just can't use it. That's nothing special, that's normal in 99% of the MMOs. Very few games out there don't use some sort of weapon restrictions. It's like claiming grass is green followed by a surprised look when people don't call the networks or fall in awe.

Has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is; races are supposed to be for free. If we get into a conversation about cryptics over all business practice, well I'd have a different point of view as to what should be sold/shouldn't be etc.
  • mavlocmavloc Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think a valuable point was lost in the conversation, which was there is an exclusive artifact that can only be obtained through purchasing the pack, which additionally does EXTRA DAMAGE when used by a Dragonborn. PWE is blatantly selling in-game advantages over non-payers, no matter how much these mods want to cover up what they're doing. There are items in the pack that deal additional damage to dragons, which specifically targets the next update coming to the game, giving another advantage over other players who do not purchase the pack.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mavloc wrote: »
    I think a valuable point was lost in the conversation, which was there is an exclusive artifact that can only be obtained through purchasing the pack, which additionally does EXTRA DAMAGE when used by a Dragonborn. PWE is blatantly selling in-game advantages over non-payers, no matter how much these mods want to cover up what they're doing. There are items in the pack that deal additional damage to dragons, which specifically targets the next update coming to the game, giving another advantage over other players who do not purchase the pack.

ahhhh your so innocent it's adorable, this is not news since ftp games have started people who pay always get nice things people who don't pay don't get. and as one of the ones who doesn't pay most of the time, I don't begrudge them it. it's why we have a game at all. more so when it help me too. good they kill things faster it means I die less. get over it and quit whining if your that worried about it buy the pack.

oh and you may not know this but they can lie all they want, though they aren't in this case, as long as they can reason no one with a brain in their skull would take them literally it's good.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All righty guys, this thread has outlived any sort of usefulness besides back and forth circular argument and it's done.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.