test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you honestly think about HR's PvP situation in Mod 4?

Comments

• Options
    j3ttruebowj3ttruebow Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I switched to my CW and have played a bunch of games. I have yet to see an HR do much of anything and they all die in just about one rotation from me.

True that. I went all archery feat and am using profound archer set. You cant one on one anymore esoecially with trs and gwf/gf youll have to hide behind your teammates. Only time i won one on ones if i use split the sky and rain ir arrows in defending pounts with tr softening him up to half life before he gets near me.

Im changing sets to combat profound after this. I can still rack up with kills though as dmg is much much more almost like in mod 3 beginning hehe, just need to stay in the back and away from those trs gwfs charging and cws cc u
  • Options
    xnewyorkhardcorexnewyorkhardcore Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, that's for sure. I'm having a hay day with my TR. HR's can't stop me now. Their only defense was to bind me up and pick me off from a distance. I played quite few matches with 2 HRs and it was like killing spree for me. Problem is, it used to be I'd rather play my HR than my TR any day.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Okay, so, upgraded my vorpal, 2/2'd my gear for double arpen, swapped regen rings for pegasus 478crit rings, dumped hp for power, arpen and yet more crit and boom, semisquishy burst dps machine.

Ok, I fall over if someone so much as looks at me, but having fun again. Having no hope against CWs actually takes the pressure off in pvp. No more deadly serious strategic play, just wander around putting the slaughter on things.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The whole point to the HR was the extra encounters on switches. Why abandon that? My gear score is 600 points lower than it was before the changes, and now I die whenever any other class breathes on me.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Constricting arrow is the worst of it, I think we all knew some of the healing would be dialed back, but what was the point of this?

And Hindering Shot and Binding Arrow.

Constricting Arrow no longer constricts, Binding Arrow no longer binds and Hindering Shot no longer hinders. Might be a little less insulting if they changed the names.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, the HRs only real line of defense was in the controlling powers that were removed.

1v1 was possible before, not now. If they come after you it's over. ...On the flip side I'm cleaning them up with my TR since they can't slow me down or constrict me. XD No longer have to save my Deft Strike for them. I can just run right up on them.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh, I already said that. My bad.
  • Options
    ganjahero91ganjahero91 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Don't know what you guys are crying about. Ive been doing way better in pvp than I have in mod 3. Just because you cant use the same setup as before doesnt mean the entire class is useless. THere are tons of combinations of powers and skills to mess around with. It just so happens I found the right combination that does heavy damage while healing a ton. And no Im not telling you the build, find out for yourself.Also, with my build I was killing cw's easy so with them being nerfed its cw killing season. Guys, you just gotta adapt to the changing tides.
    Dark Chocolate HR
  • Options
    powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was a SW nature ranger. When I heard the nature feat line was getting replaced I thought the worst.

Now in Mod4 I made myself into a SW trapper ranger and have been very happy with the result.

All my ranged encounters apply some kind of root (which do extra damage from feats) and I still have my heal. I seem to do a lot more damage than before and have held dragon argo even when there are lots of people around.

Personally, I have been happy with the change.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Don't know what you guys are crying about. Ive been doing way better in pvp than I have in mod 3. Just because you cant use the same setup as before doesnt mean the entire class is useless. THere are tons of combinations of powers and skills to mess around with. It just so happens I found the right combination that does heavy damage while healing a ton. And no Im not telling you the build, find out for yourself.Also, with my build I was killing cw's easy so with them being nerfed its cw killing season. Guys, you just gotta adapt to the changing tides.

What this guy said, last couple of days I've been cleaning up in pvp dom. Whether my team wins or loses, I'm top of the results board. My build's just a brute force dps, survival being linked to temporary hitpoints, lifesteal boosters and killing everything in sight. Lovin' me some mod4.
  • Options
    reemusbodeemusreemusbodeemus Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Ganja speaks the truth.

I haven't played many matches yet ,but in all of them I felt great and had a blast!!

I tested on preview enough to know the build I wanted at Mod 4 launch. Maybe I'll post a guide soon when I have time. I will tell you the most effective path is Pathfinder/Combat for the best variety of ways to deal with every class. My first 4 matches I used combat and felt very powerful with nice healing and no issues with CWs 1 v 1 (2 v 1 is a whole different meta now).

My guild wanted me to lead some dungeon runs so I respecced Archery for the nice damage. The gameplay in pvp as Archery is soooo much more intense ! You can still do very well as Archery , but you have to totally change your tactics.

Testing on preview made all the difference for me. Those of you who are feeling it out right now, just keep playing lots of matches and you will find your way. We are still a very powerful PVP class.

I normally pug most of my matches and I will admit Archery might be the most fun way to pug. For pre-mades I would feel the best sticking with Combat and I always go Pathfinder for both.

Hang in there hunters !
  • Options
    rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I really love going around all the different class forums and seeing each classes opinions on the changes. In General discussion there was a post calling Hr's the new god of 1v1 PVP (Under the incredibly OP CW of course)
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
  • Options
    charmagmacharmagma Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A skilled and geared player can make combat tree work very well in general, but trapper is completely worthless in pvp, I tried it and it's a joke. The roots don't, you know? Root? Even with the last feat's 30% boost in duration it's like a hiccup when the player is moving, and that's it. I don't now about archery spec because I won't do without my defense build.

I'd say right now HR is about where GF was in mod3 and currently at rock bottom with the TR (excluding DC I guess, but a healer is just a different animal). Given the history of the devs in this game, I kinda figured they'd screw it up. HR was never an OP class, the OP part in mod3 was a gimmick with the profound set bonus and using forest meditation. All they needed to do was fix the set bonus, but no, they send Mike Trout in with a nerf bat, too and completely wreck the class.

Oh well, just have to spend a module being the punching bag for OP wizard and maybe get buffed back up again. The gutting of aspect of the lone wolf was especially LOL. Now we have no tankiness, but on the plus side we also have no CC break and no CC worth mentioning unlike OP wizard that has uber CC and uber dps. What a joke.
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    charmagma wrote: »
    A skilled and geared player can make combat tree work very well in general, but trapper is completely worthless in pvp, I tried it and it's a joke. The roots don't, you know? Root? Even with the last feat's 30% boost in duration it's like a hiccup when the player is moving, and that's it. I don't now about archery spec because I won't do without my defense build.

I'd say right now HR is about where GF was in mod3 and currently at rock bottom with the TR (excluding DC I guess, but a healer is just a different animal). Given the history of the devs in this game, I kinda figured they'd screw it up. HR was never an OP class, the OP part in mod3 was a gimmick with the profound set bonus and using forest meditation. All they needed to do was fix the set bonus, but no, they send Mike Trout in with a nerf bat, too and completely wreck the class.

Oh well, just have to spend a module being the punching bag for OP wizard and maybe get buffed back up again. The gutting of aspect of the lone wolf was especially LOL. Now we have no tankiness, but on the plus side we also have no CC break and no CC worth mentioning unlike OP wizard that has uber CC and uber dps. What a joke.

How ? You shouldn't say things like that on forums if you don't know the class well since it could lead to un needed nerfes or buffs.

I have a new hr, only 12k gs and hasn't been lvl 60 long, I don't even have many boons either and yet in pvp I beat a 19k perfect vorpal gwf in 1v1....I also only have lesser plague. The only 2 chars that beat me are other hr players, if they are combat tree too and a cw but I beat all gwf and gf easy and tr, warlock and cleric are no problem either. I can go round icewind with this new 12k gs char and beat 90% of people I fight so no the hr is not weak at all, only if your bad at pvp or have a bad spec but the hr is amazing in 1v1 and still good in 2v1, its just when you get chain proned when problems start but that's the same for any character.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    rversant wrote: »
    I really love going around all the different class forums and seeing each classes opinions on the changes. In General discussion there was a post calling Hr's the new god of 1v1 PVP (Under the incredibly OP CW of course)

Hr in mod 3 was best class in 1v1 now they are second best since cw is just crazy OP atm. Hr are second best pvp class, they have just had a rework so many people need to get used to the new builds and tactics.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edelweiss90edelweiss90 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Pvp is not only 1vs1, being the best class in 1vs1 doesn't mean it is the best for pvp. Like you already stated, the HR cannot resist spike damage and if chain CC'd dies easily (2 vs 1 u are almost always dead - if u are against classes that can CC. The same goes for CW: when CC'd, 3 encounters from a decently equuipped/built 12/14k player are enough to kill him.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Well, I switched back to my HR today after being bored with CW and people continuously shaming me in game for playing it (LOL), and it's not as bad as I had thought.

Went pretty full combat, kill stuff pretty quick and decently tanky. Not as much as mod3 but definitely more than my CW felt.

Probably doing about as well as I was on my CW. Can't kill as fast or brutal, but can also hold a node longer.

Looking forward to getting the token on my HR for sure.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    murthag1990murthag1990 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After the cw gets his storm spell fixed the hr will be probably the strongest class in pvp the piercing dmg is way too much and with the new artifact weapon (+30% dmg for melee) they will be even more op as gwf was in mod2/3. So prepare your self nerfs are coming ^^ i quit my hr already its no fun beeing a glass cannon with selfheal and just using 3 encounters and2(3) buffs :S
    Black Turtle TryhartzIV
    Deadpool // HR
    Shakur // Tr
  • Options
    dam182dam182 Member Posts: 40
    edited August 2014
    After the cw gets his storm spell fixed the hr will be probably the strongest class in pvp the piercing dmg is way too much and with the new artifact weapon (+30% dmg for melee) they will be even more op as gwf was in mod2/3. So prepare your self nerfs are coming ^^ i quit my hr already its no fun beeing a glass cannon with selfheal and just using 3 encounters and2(3) buffs :S

Good Lord.... First, the philosophy was atendedor, now hr is a high risk high reward melee class. You try to hold onde 2 and quickly die 2x1 or more. Secondly the artifact weapon increases 30 damage not 30 percent... Aimed strike damage increase is sweet though
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Well, considering I fought mostly HRs last night, you are still very, very effective.

And now the top 3 spots are occupied by HRs. As I said two weeks ago, ya'll are fine. Maybe one or two tweaks to build and play-style, but the HR is still one of the best, if not the best, classes for PVP.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    I have a new hr, only 12k gs and hasn't been lvl 60 long, I don't even have many boons either and yet in pvp I beat a 19k perfect vorpal gwf in 1v1....I also only have lesser plague. The only 2 chars that beat me are other hr players, if they are combat tree too and a cw but I beat all gwf and gf easy and tr, warlock and cleric are no problem either. I can go round icewind with this new 12k gs char and beat 90% of people I fight so no the hr is not weak at all, only if your bad at pvp or have a bad spec but the hr is amazing in 1v1 and still good in 2v1, its just when you get chain proned when problems start but that's the same for any character.
    I'm not calling you a liar, but...how did know the gear score of that GWF? All I can say is, if you have such a great build, you sure want to keep it a secret or else it is going to be nerfed out of existence.
  • Options
    charmagmacharmagma Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    And now the top 3 spots are occupied by HRs. As I said two weeks ago, ya'll are fine. Maybe one or two tweaks to build and play-style, but the HR is still one of the best, if not the best, classes for PVP.

This is such an inane comment. Yeah the top 3 right now are HRs. I took a longer look at the top 100. Wanna guess how many are HRs? 11. Eleven of the top hundred. Class is fine LOL.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    IMO it id like in mod 3. There a a few top HRs, well geared and with PVP spec, crushing almost anything in PvP, while many are not so good.

As far as I can see, they have high live leech and recovery and use pircing blades and prone. While they are weak in the CC break departement, they have the most dodges, a prone encounter, a feat that ignores DR and most of the dodges.

They can be beasts, most are not.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    asterotg wrote: »
    IMO it id like in mod 3. There a a few top HRs, well geared and with PVP spec, crushing almost anything in PvP, while many are not so good.

As far as I can see, they have high live leech and recovery and use pircing blades and prone. While they are weak in the CC break departement, they have the most dodges, a prone encounter, a feat that ignores DR and most of the dodges.

They can be beasts, most are not.
    I think the difference between Mod 3 and Mod 4 is that achieving the 'OP' level of performance now takes better gear and more skill. In Mod 3 it was relatively easy to build a highly effective HR. Now, not so much but still possible.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    cryptfoundationcryptfoundation Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the difference between Mod 3 and Mod 4 is that achieving the 'OP' level of performance now takes better gear and more skill. In Mod 3 it was relatively easy to build a highly effective HR. Now, not so much but still possible.

Not really. Don't you think it'd be the opposite? To be effective in Mod3 you had to have the profound set and know how to proc cooldown reductions and keep your AP up so you can pop Forest Med. Now you just hope for a Wilds Medicine proc and throw in the Royal Guards set if you want cooldown reductions that badly
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Not really. Don't you think it'd be the opposite? To be effective in Mod3 you had to have the profound set and know how to proc cooldown reductions and keep your AP up so you can pop Forest Med. Now you just hope for a Wilds Medicine proc and throw in the Royal Guards set if you want cooldown reductions that badly

The ones that are super hard to kill are rocking perfect lifedrinker and have hp stacked to the max.

You could outheal a lot in mod3 just with the profound set and some hp. Now you really got to spend a lot of AD to get comparable healing.

As for AP I never had a problem with it in mod3 because careful attack gives so much.

But anyway, the new HR is starting to grow on me. It does actually seem to be more of a high-risk/high-reward playstyle, and it's cool that at least some of the healing is tied to damage as an incentive to go for more damage.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    On the flipside, I'm hitting the limits in pvp with my 17k archer dps/lifesteal spec pvp toon. Below page 20 or so, I can happily rolfstomp most of the opposition, CWs, SWs, DCs, GWFs etc. Out-dps the lot of them, leaving them dead, and me alive, though sometimes only barely. 1 on 1 and 2 on 1, however, when the elo starts putting me up against the seriously geared and well built survival types in the top of the leaderboard... Different story. Unless there are some equally heavy types on my team, I get focussed and squashed.

****. I was really hoping not to have to go down the self heal, bore them to death simply by refusing to die path again. If I have to start with the whole thornward dance again I think I'll puke.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    charmagma wrote: »
    This is such an inane comment. Yeah the top 3 right now are HRs. I took a longer look at the top 100. Wanna guess how many are HRs? 11. Eleven of the top hundred. Class is fine LOL.

By the same token, where was the top GF in Mod 3? Exactly. The fact that the leaderboard had 3 HRs at the top is evidence enough of the potential of the class. A rubbish class does not rise to the top. The best PVP GFs had a hard time cracking page 5 in Mod 3.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »
    On the flipside, I'm hitting the limits in pvp with my 17k archer dps/lifesteal spec pvp toon. Below page 20 or so, I can happily rolfstomp most of the opposition, CWs, SWs, DCs, GWFs etc. Out-dps the lot of them, leaving them dead, and me alive, though sometimes only barely. 1 on 1 and 2 on 1, however, when the elo starts putting me up against the seriously geared and well built survival types in the top of the leaderboard... Different story. Unless there are some equally heavy types on my team, I get focussed and squashed.

****. I was really hoping not to have to go down the self heal, bore them to death simply by refusing to die path again. If I have to start with the whole thornward dance again I think I'll puke.

I'd really try out combat if I were you. I'm only 15k and on page 4 with him (missing 2 enchants too because I gutted them to get the royal guard set, rank7s anyway). The playstyle isn't nearly as boring as mod3 since you have to maximize damage (which means alternating encounters and at-wills for procs) for lifesteal and make use of maurder's well to survive.

Still do really good damage but have a better chance at living and much more dynamic playstyle than mod3.