test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yes the Dragonborn is expensive, but...

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Cant you technically get it for "free" by trading AD for zen?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You can't buy the dragonborn pack with zen.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Except you can't buy it with Zen. If you could buy it with Zen, the story would be different. I don't believe any of the packs are available for zen, which means they likely won't ever be at this point.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Except you can't buy it with Zen. If you could buy it with Zen, the story would be different. I don't believe any of the packs are available for zen, which means they likely won't ever be at this point.

The story would be the same, it's just the ones who can exploit (used loosely) the market can get it too.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If this pack was available for zen I'd totally be willing to get it eventually. but right now I am just hoping the dragonborn gets a 20$ race unlock with no other bonuses or something of the like. I totally want to play as one. heh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Why did they call it Dragonborn?

All I think about its Skyrim when I see 'dragonborn'.

Should have called it Dragonkin or something.

I also think its fine if they have content packages that are only available if you actually buy it.
    What is in that packages is debatable though. Cause I never want to buy expendable stuff with real money.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    user4035 wrote: »
    Why did they call it Dragonborn?

All I think about its Skyrim when I see 'dragonborn'.

Should have called it Dragonkin or something.
    Dragonborn was in pen and paper before skyrim existed.
  • Options
    user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Dragonborn was in pen and paper before skyrim existed.

Is it from DnD?

Either way, Elder scrolls highjacked the term with its popularity. Luckily their mmo sucks.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Because it is a good way to ensure that Cryptic can make a decent amount of money each MOD, since these packs are (usually) desirable, and need to by paid for in actual cash.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Because it is a good way to ensure that Cryptic can make a decent amount of money each MOD, since these packs are (usually) desirable, and need to by paid for in actual cash.

All zen whether purchased directly or purchased from the ZAX was at one point purchased with actual cash. I don't imagine their profit margin would change much if at all.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All zen whether purchased directly or purchased from the ZAX was at one point purchased with actual cash. I don't imagine their profit margin would change much if at all.

It's a technical issue. These packs are straight cash because when they tried to sell one in the Zen Market there were massive technical issue - lots of people had problems; they had to remove it from Zen Market completely and just stick with straight cash sales.
  • Options
    jennyavarieljennyavariel Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 167
    edited August 2014
    You can still buy the Hunter Ranger pack for Zen. It's 3500 zen. So, you get it at a 10% discount, if you buy zen, and then buy it, rather than paying USD 35 directly for it.
  • Options
    wanderer0000wanderer0000 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    no but, it is very expensive. you can buy A LOT of great games with this kind of money. I will. some nice releases and some backlog of games I should have played before but now are even cheaper.
  • Options
    bazgcbazgc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    You can still buy the Hunter Ranger pack for Zen. It's 3500 zen. So, you get it at a 10% discount, if you buy zen, and then buy it, rather than paying USD 35 directly for it.

I'm hoping the Scourge Warlock pack will be the same. They should have fewer issues with it too, having already had the HR pack.
    My Foundry Quests:

The Silver Sword - NW-DEIPWYISA - Daily Qualified
    A Relaxing Stay - NW-DEEYNZYZ9 - Daily Qualified but going to be updated
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Oh that's still there? I thought they had removed it after all the major glitches they had - or they removed it, fixed the problems, then put it back. It was similar glitches like they initially had with the new First Purchaser's Pack.

If that's the case then I agree: it would be nice to see these in the Zen Market, though 10k Zen could be a bit shocking to see in the Zen Market, considering the 'outrage' of the 6000z Thayan Book of the Dead Artifact a bit ago (but that was also a Green quality to boot).
  • Options
    ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's a technical issue. These packs are straight cash because when they tried to sell one in the Zen Market there were massive technical issue - lots of people had problems; they had to remove it from Zen Market completely and just stick with straight cash sales.

That explanation is rather questionable.
    It is possible to unlock things for the account (Character Slots) and deliver items through the Zen store. And that is all there is in those packs.

Imo the real reason is that they want people to spend the full amount when buying those packs instead of (partially) using Zen they have in the account.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    user4035 wrote: »
    Is it from DnD?

Nothing race/lore wise in Neverwinter is not from a Dungeons and Dragon's book.
    And nothing enters Nevcerwinter, cannon or not, which isn't directly approved by WotC.

Dragonborn were introduced to D&D with Fourth Edition back in 2008. Skyrim was released in 2011.

Future reference, any time you see or hear anything and think "that is from another game" it is more likely the other game was designed by people who enjoyed D&D so they borrowed the basis for most of their concepts from D&D, not the other way around.

For instance every time you play a game where barbarians fear magic, the term paladin is used, or there is a race of "dark elves" the game is basically guaranteed to be designed by people who have been playing D&D their entire lives and are just following the standards which D&D established.

In the case of Skyrim, dragonborn is just too generic to say that they stole it. Runescape uses the term Dragonkin to describe their beings which are very similar to Draconians (D&D Dragonlance Product) and eventually you do end up running out of words to create a new race that still describe the creature. You wouldn't call Dragonborn Kukash and expect the reader to know they looked like a dragon in humanoid form, right?
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, lots of games have stolen from PnP DnD. However, even Gary Gygax and company did borrow significant material from other sources of lore, mythology, and legend. . .

Expect there to be a way to purchase the Dragonborn race in the future, but not before many of the packs can be sold to those with less patience to wait. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    or there is a race of "dark elves" the game is basically guaranteed to be designed by people who have been playing D&D their entire lives and are just following the standards which D&D established.

I'm going to cry foul on this part. The drow are based on the Svartálfar from the Edda. DnD stole them from the ancient norse.
  • Options
    harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Yes, lots of games have stolen from PnP DnD. However, even Gary Gygax and company did borrow significant material from other sources of lore, mythology, and legend. . .
    :)

Of course, in the modern era there is Papa Tolkien...who also borrowed from older literature and myth. All the way back to the Prose and Poetic Edda of the 13th century...and older works. That also leaves out a very rich collection of eastern myth and saga, but they are not as heavy an influencer of western literature.

Paladins? Hardly a D&D invention...we can thank The Songs of Roland and other works in the early Frach songs of heroic deeds...back in the 11th century.

It's all variations on a theme, there are no new stories. Which doesn't mean that some of the variations are any less than genius, and thoroughly enjoyable on their own without understanding where they came from.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I made no claims that the creators of D&D and Tolien himself didn't borrow from mythology...

Just that the creators of the modern games that people come to say D&D copied are in fact made by people who are not looking into mythology but are in fact drawing inspiration from their experience in D&D and things which are based on myths, while not D&D creations, is information introduced not because the creators of moder RPG's are reading norse legends for inspiration but their experience with D&D.

Not that it's a problem but just as mythology was the basis for Tolkien and D&D, D&D is the basis for most modern RPG's.

Paladin is an old term, which is why it was used in D&D, but it's not a widely used term. I guarantee Blizzard uses the "paladin" class because they played D&D while they grew up and not because they drew upon inspiration from norse legends. Drow may very well be based on whatever that is but Everquest is, by their own admonition, heavily based on their enjoyment of D&D.

It's not a bad thing, per se, but it is what it is.