test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question: Class purpose

almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Library
Hello everyone,

For a long while now I have been seeing a massive ammount of people wanting their CW's to be Damage Dealers instead of Controllers.
I'm seeing this in discussions at Preview forums, and at some posts at this forum section aswell.

Please, can someone explain me, why everyone want to go against the class "essence/name/core"?
There is a Warlock class coming, I think it's time to let go. You have a controller class for control, and a damage class (warlock) for pure damage dealing and that so "wanted" 1st place in Paingiver.

Why even bother about that bloody table with numbers? What matter is that the boss is dead in the end and you have the loot to roll....

I created and have my Control Wizard, made for Control. I use Frost enchantment to stunn the mobs for 4 sec, I use controlling powers to gather everything so GWF/HR use their AOE and kill everything fast. I interrupt big mobs like Driders to avoid their strong frontal attacks. I support my party by controlling the things around so they cannot harm the party.

Why everyone want to do damage at a class what is not supposed to be "supreme" in damage(Control Wizard)? Please, someone explain this to me.
It's like everyone thinks that this is that dead game called WoW where Mages are meant for DPS mainly, or like Aion where Sorcerers do massive damage burst.

Honestly, I think that a CW should be a very strong controller and a weak damage dealer.
If a CW can't compete with other classes in PVP, it does not mean that it's CW's fault, it can mean that:
- the game content is not very well designed to force CW use it's full control potencial
- other classes are too powerful
- CW needs a team to be effective, like the Devouted Cleric, they are "controllers" after all, it fills a support role.

Thank you for your attention,
Have fun,

Ceth.
Post edited by almondum on

Comments

• Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    almondum wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

For a long while now I have been seeing a massive ammount of people wanting their CW's to be Damage Dealers instead of Controllers.
    I'm seeing this in discussions at Preview forums, and at some posts at this forum section aswell.

Please, can someone explain me, why everyone want to go against the class "essence/name/core"?
    There is a Warlock class coming, I think it's time to let go. You have a controller class for control, and a damage class (warlock) for pure damage dealing and that so "wanted" 1st place in Paingiver.

Why even bother about that bloody table with numbers? What matter is that the boss is dead in the end and you have the loot to roll....

I created and have my Control Wizard, made for Control. I use Frost enchantment to stunn the mobs for 4 sec, I use controlling powers to gather everything so GWF/HR use their AOE and kill everything fast. I interrupt big mobs like Driders to avoid their strong frontal attacks. I support my party by controlling the things around so they cannot harm the party.

Why everyone want to do damage at a class what is not supposed to be "supreme" in damage(Control Wizard)? Please, someone explain this to me.
    It's like everyone thinks that this is that dead game called WoW where Mages are meant for DPS mainly, or like Aion where Sorcerers do massive damage burst.

Honestly, I think that a CW should be a very strong controller and a weak damage dealer.
    If a CW can't compete with other classes in PVP, it does not mean that it's CW's fault, it can mean that:
    - the game content is not very well designed to force CW use it's full control potencial
    - other classes are too powerful
    - CW needs a team to be effective, like the Devouted Cleric, they are "controllers" after all, it fills a support role.

Thank you for your attention,
    Have fun,

Ceth.

Actually you have no idea. Because in DnD control wizard means aoe dps.

"A character with the controller role primarily handles crowds by creating hazardous terrain and repositioning enemies, or spreading conditions and damage over multiple enemies. The wizard is the classic controller class.[PHB:15]"

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Controller

Go and read. Nothing more to say.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Plus there is a tendency to not want to fall asleep waiting for everyone to tickle the mob waves to death. XD

(Birds can fly, they do. Fish can swim, they do. Controllers can kick mob booty. They do. =) )
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, an effective Control Wizard does three things: Debuffs enemies, controls the battlefield and delivers AOE damage.

In 4E, you have 4 main types of character roles:

Leaders: Healing and Buffing teammates, while debuffing enemies, making the easier targets
    Defenders: Front line fighters who excel in soaking up damage and protecting other teammates
    Controllers: Great at dealing with large numbers of enemies. Focus on AOE damage and weakening, confusing or delaying foes.
    Strikers: Deal high amounts of damage to single targets, and typically bring the most concentrated offensive options to the table.

However, each class is still designed to deal damage.

These are what your classes in Neverwinter are based around, NOT what you saw in WoW or other traditional MMOs.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited August 2014

D&D wikia:

"Controllers deal with large numbers of enemies at the same time. They favor offense over defense, using powers that deal damage to multiple foes at once, as well as subtler powers that weaken, confuse, or delay their foes."

Controll only means you are dealing with multiple enemies at the same time! Noone said damage is forbidden!

I find it amusing when some forum warrior guys(or a specific other class doesn't it...?) would like the wave a red flag when some wizard eliminate a goblin camp.
    "Hey wizard no damage!"

You go use your CW for controll I use mine for damage!
    Every class has a dps tree and everyone has a support or a specific tree. Noone is binded to do something!

Btw I use my GWF only to support CW/DCs, take up the aggro, tank Draco and not to steal damage from CWs and push everything on every corner. Ugly isn't it?
    According to D&D its a Defender class...
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, no one is saying if CW shouldn't make AOE damage or DPS, the matter is if it should be the 1st and king in DPS, I think CW shouldn't and if they do 2/3 what they do in live they are still in a good place.
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    Well, no one is saying if CW shouldn't make AOE damage or DPS, the matter is if it should be the 1st and king in DPS, I think CW shouldn't and if they do 2/3 what they do in live they are still in a good place.

Agreed. Striker classes should be top of the chart for bosses, and AOE classes at the top for goblin camps.

"Controllers deal with large numbers of enemies at the same time. They favor offense over defense, using powers that deal damage to multiple foes at once, as well as subtler powers that weaken, confuse, or delay their foes."

So we have damage, weaken, confuse, delay. 3 out of 4 are not DPS. The quotes from the DnD wikia actually support the OP.

My biggest gripe with some CWs is this: when a DPS-crazed CW is running a DD with you, they will often use AOE dps powers that scatter mobs. If they stuck with AoE dps powers that gathered them up (like Singu), then the whole party could contribute to DPSing down the mobs, which equals a faster and easier run through the dungeon.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well if you truly think that Cws are the Masters of Control,then a few things should happen 1) They should have a way to pierce CC resistance and Tenacity (Which at the moment don't) 2) All other classes should have their control powers reduced considerably so that they can't out-control a wizard, leave the control domain to CONTROL wizards(That way if you want control go for a Cw instead of a HR or Gwf or whatever) and 3) Give Cws a significant boost to their own CC resistance ( Right now, they have none even though,supposedly, they know control better than anyone else). When the above happen you can nerf their damage output,but until that happens Wizards need their damage to survive and be competitive. Oh and something else,this ain't D&D anymore than I'm a rabbit, so don't expect classes to behave as they should.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Agreed. Striker classes should be top of the chart for bosses, and AOE classes at the top for goblin camps.
    If the entire dungeon is packed with mobs, expect that a controller will top all damage charts in the end. Nothing wrong with that.

So we have damage, weaken, confuse, delay. 3 out of 4 are not DPS. The quotes from the DnD wikia actually support the OP.
    Only because there are more options (spells) at hand doesnt mean that damage must be split in four parts. To emphazise what you are quoting: They favor offense over defense. In classic DnD mages have even stronger spells which can kill a foe instantly for example, regardless of his HP pool. The difference here is we dont need to memorize spells and save them for the difficult fights.
    My biggest gripe with some CWs is this: when a DPS-crazed CW is running a DD with you, they will often use AOE dps powers that scatter mobs. If they stuck with AoE dps powers that gathered them up (like Singu), then the whole party could contribute to DPSing down the mobs, which equals a faster and easier run through the dungeon.

Singularity slows everything down because it grants the mobs immunity to other abilities. Only in certain situations it is useful.
    - Dualspec
    - Armory
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, damage is a form of control.

But I think the real problem here is less about the CW's, and more about the mentality of the player. There are an awful lot of high-end CWs out there who give the rest of us a bad name by, when in a group, attempting to take it upon themselves to solo the dungeon him/herself when nobody asked them to. They make the other team members (even other CWs) feel weak and unneeded and, quite frankly, resentful towards the CW. I was in Epic Gray Wolf Den the other day with one of these 17k CW's who simply plowed ahead and nuked everything and did not care one bit that he left the rest of the group behind. That is selfish, rude behavior and it is behavior like that that emboldens those of other classes to demand CW nerfs. But even if CW were nerfed into the ground, this player instead would be playing a GWF or something and would still be running ahead and nuking mobs, leaving everyone else behind. You will always have jerks who aren't team players, so don't take it out on the CW class.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @ pointsman

Yes I agree that this is not really how it should be. Lets wait what mod 4 brings as changes.
    - Dualspec
    - Armory
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Noone said Rogues shouldn't have the best single target damage. Oh wait... GWF does with IBS...!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »

Sometimes they put 20-30 mobs per room. In certain dungeons there are rooms with 80 zombies and people are wondering why aoe dps is greater there.

Go with CW to DK and try to do half damage of the GWfs/TRs with same gear...
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I visited those websites you posted, they were very useful.
    Now I have 1 question. From what the CW does right now, we don't need other classes, CW's can do everything just by playing together.

Having such a versitile a powerful class is making others less wanted, won't this harm the game in long terms?

Once again, thanks for the answers!
    Have fun,

Ceth.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    adernath wrote: »
    If the entire dungeon is packed with mobs, expect that a controller will top all damage charts in the end. Nothing wrong with that.
    That was never in question. If you could parse DPS for just the boss fight and nothing else, then the single-target striker classes should be top DPS, period.
    Only because there are more options (spells) at hand doesnt mean that damage must be split in four parts. To emphazise what you are quoting: They favor offense over defense. In classic DnD mages have even stronger spells which can kill a foe instantly for example, regardless of his HP pool. The difference here is we dont need to memorize spells and save them for the difficult fights.
    You seem to equate offense with DPS. Weaken, confuse, and delay are all types of offense, too.

Singularity slows everything down because it grants the mobs immunity to other abilities. Only in certain situations it is useful.

I have noticed the opposite. Singularity puts them all in one pile, and everyone nukes them down immediately after. The mobs don't survive long enough for cc immunity to become an issue. At least, that's what I've observed in 95% of all situations.

As far as actual dungeon clear times, comparing a DPS CW to a CC CW may be pointless. But if you ask players which CW they would rather group with, the answer is pretty clear.
  • Options
    cenomxcenomx Member Posts: 41
    edited August 2014
    Hello everyone,

Please, can someone explain me, why everyone want to go against the class "essence/name/core"?.

I am completly sure you did never read something about D&D, and it makes sad that this community never did it too.
    You guys clearly don't know anything about nothing by discussing such things.

I've posted many times, the way this game made Wizards is wrong.

Control does exist, and it can be achieved by many ways, wich DAMAGE is one.

WIZARD is a DAMAGE Controler.

Druid is controler
    Psiun is a controler
    Many other classes are controler, but they are distinguished by its role. Wizard is AOE DMG, Druid is field control, etc etc etc etc..

Stop posting things you guys don't know.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have noticed the opposite. Singularity puts them all in one pile, and everyone nukes them down immediately after. The mobs don't survive long enough for cc immunity to become an issue. At least, that's what I've observed in 95% of all situations.
    The first sing is useful. Having another wizard cast sing immediately after the first one rarely is. The only fight where chain sings are good (necessary for the most part) is Draco due to the quality and number of adds. Otherwise, the second and following sings just give the mobs immunity to the two most damaging CW spells (on live) Shard and Sudden Storm.

Singularity is a very useful tool (on live) but the only thing worse than following up sing with sing is following up with Ice Storm. (though Roar isn't so great either)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    pitshade wrote: »
    The first sing is useful. Having another wizard cast sing immediately after the first one rarely is. The only fight where chain sings are good (necessary for the most part) is Draco due to the quality and number of adds. Otherwise, the second and following sings just give the mobs immunity to the two most damaging CW spells (on live) Shard and Sudden Storm.

Singularity is a very useful tool (on live) but the only thing worse than following up sing with sing is following up with Ice Storm. (though Roar isn't so great either)

True - if you have multiple CWs in the party, typical class roles and mechanics are out the window. Those sort of parties make the other classes really feel like third wheels..lol
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    True - if you have multiple CWs in the party, typical class roles and mechanics are out the window. Those sort of parties make the other classes really feel like third wheels..lol
    Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I visited those websites you posted, they were very useful.
    Now I have 1 question. From what the CW does right now, we don't need other classes, CW's can do everything just by playing together.

Having such a versitile a powerful class is making others less wanted, won't this harm the game in long terms?

Have fun,

Ceth.

You both are right in the way that no single class should always outperform everyone else. But the problem is subtle... Usually wizards memorize spells and can not cast all time. But when you want that wizards use spells according to their class, the non-requirement in memorization makes them OP. Imagine a DnD wizard which can cast all his spells as often as he wants. However, lets wait and see what mod 4 will change.
    That was never in question. If you could parse DPS for just the boss fight and nothing else, then the single-target striker classes should be top DPS, period.
    In DnD wizards have also excellent single DPS. This is also in most other RPGs and in fantasy games. Wizards sacrifice alot for the sole purpose to gain power. They are also generally play the big bad counterpart in many adventures. It looks like you never played RPG-PnP before, did you?
    You seem to equate offense with DPS. Weaken, confuse, and delay are all types of offense, too.
    Yea this is true. But we have a very small selection of all those spells in this game. Mostly they are around damage dealing. I am all up for more of the other types, but then I want to have the choice of my methods. To be forced to cast only spells which 'confuse' mobs for example doesnt reflect the class well.

As far as actual dungeon clear times, comparing a DPS CW to a CC CW may be pointless. But if you ask players which CW they would rather group with, the answer is pretty clear.
    As the previous poster already pointed out (and I also said this before), casting singularity makes the mobs immune to shard and sudden storm. Singularity is only useful at draco or in dread vault (or whenever you want to push mobs from a cliff). I always hate when another CW opens a fight with singularity, because my main damage abilities wont work during that time. If you want further explanation: To make HV set and EoTS work (and cast shard or SS afterwards with crit) you should cast ST (in mod3 its a very reliable method to proc EoTS), but with singularity you must often stand very close to the moving trash, which can hit you during the grasping process. Being a glass cannon in PvE makes this very dangerous and therefore it is IMO very stupid to cast singularity in many situations. COI procs EoTS as well, but often not so reliable as ST.
    - Dualspec
    - Armory
  • Options
    inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hello everyone,

Have fun,

Ceth.

Finally someone who gets it. CW/GWF only groups in VT/CN/ and MC (well, basically ALL the top dungeons) is boring, lame, and extremely bad for the game. If you have control AND top damage you don't need any other classes and I've done CW only groups many times with very few problems.

There are some very selfish players posting here that can't see past their desire for complete god mode, which is basically what we have now.

I have news; groups will kill things a LOT faster in mod 4 and CW will still be tops-with the right group makeup. I did a group on test with CW(me), DC, GF, SW, HR. GF threat is tripled for mod 4 so they will actually be able to hold agro. Range based threat is gone This are two huge changes that no one is talking about.

1st of all, the DC told us all to fight inside of astral shield. Common sense I know but some need to be reminded. His reasoning was he was casting Forgemasters flame for the linked spirit buff, all in the circle were getting 2,000+ power for every fight+a big AOE heal. The DC also had Blessing of Battle feated and we were getting another 1k+ power from that. So from the DC everyone was getting 3k+ power per fight. The GF was hitting "Into The Fray" every time it refreshed, which with his Damage resistance was giving the whole group a +35% damage buff. The DC was also alternating beween Hallowed ground and Anointed army. I checked my power once with Anointed army buff up and I had 18k power...........this to go with the GF's 35% damage buff, and things were dropping faster than prom dresses.

The big deal though was the GF. NO ONE WAS GETTING HIT. I didn't have to run, I didn't use potions, I didn't teleport.

This game has gotten a healthy dose of inter class dependency. It's definitely not finished, because you'll still pick a CW over a SW, HR, GWF, and TR But groups kicking players because they're the wrong class shouldn't happen anymore, or at least a lot less. 5 CW groups and GWF/CW only groups are going to struggle. GF is the new dungeon class and GF can't work without DC.
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    inthere23 wrote: »
    The big deal though was the GF. NO ONE WAS GETTING HIT. I didn't have to run, I didn't use potions, I didn't teleport.

This is a big deal, and an underrated part of the changes. Having to move, dodge and try to stay alive while taking all the aggro is a huge DPS lost for CW's.

In Module 4, you can bet your sweet orbs I'll be taking a GF with me. When you have someone tanking and can just stand and cast, your damage potential shoots through the roof. Not to mention all the extra juicy buffs the GF brings to the table.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Totally picked CW for its controll abilities, but im gonna say it again, i wish they had gone with the Illusionist theme for extended controll instead of trying to make it a poor mans Warlock. And even more so with the Warlock actually out (Well not far off anyway) the CW should go back to beeing more of a controller then a DPSer. I picked CW for the lack of the Warlock (which im swapping over as my main) and for its Arcane\Controller theme.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As the previous poster already pointed out (and I also said this before), casting singularity makes the mobs immune to shard and sudden storm. Singularity is only useful at draco or in dread vault (or whenever you want to push mobs from a cliff). I always hate when another CW opens a fight with singularity, because my main damage abilities wont work during that time. If you want further explanation: To make HV set and EoTS work (and cast shard or SS afterwards with crit) you should cast ST (in mod3 its a very reliable method to proc EoTS), but with singularity you must often stand very close to the moving trash, which can hit you during the grasping process. Being a glass cannon in PvE makes this very dangerous and therefore it is IMO very stupid to cast singularity in many situations. COI procs EoTS as well, but often not so reliable as ST.
    This entire argument assumes that the mobs won't die from the GWF and other classes immediately AoEing them down. If the mobs are tough enough to still be alive after the first few seconds of being blasted by 5 players, then yes, Singu isn't helpful. As I said before, 95% of the time, this is not the case.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the problem is people want CWs to be controllers like in AD&D but the enemies in this game do not act like in AD&D. but in this game aoe = everything. You dont need strikers and such to take out dangerous targets (because nothing really is that dangerous). Either they need to change CWs to do more "control" than damage to make others more useful (and keep CW still useful) or change the way enemies are in dungeons (cc immune, hard hitting, HE and higher style difficulty but in dungeons).

Doubt they will change the way dungeons or mobs are, so better to take away CW damage and give it to someone else. I retired my CW+GWF because it's just not fun doing the same thing as everyone else in the party. I'm hoping it will be different after mod4, if not i'll keep my CW sleeping.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    From what I've seen while testing, mod 4 has very few adds, which seems to make GFs new marks, and AE control powers, irrelevant. What I saw instead, was uncontrollable boulders and such flying around. I used far more teleports and pots there than I do anywhere else.

The object of the game is to damage mobs down to 0.