test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Of all the things in Game Armor Class (AC) needs to be also looked at and revamped.

lrdthorrenlrdthorren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 18 Arc User
Of all the things in Game Armor Class (AC) needs to be also looked at and revamped.

At current AC is about the most meaningless stat in the game, yet in D&D its one of the most important stats overall. In fact at most each class gains no more that .25 to .33 Damage Resistance based on AC. This makes it useless for the most part and we only really have AC cause we wear the armor for the stats. Defense also gives us Damage Resistance which unfortunately is easily by passed with enchantments and set bonuses. Which again makes Damage Resistance useless and your solely then have to rely on what your base Damage Resistance is and this comes from your AC.

Here is what I propose on how to change the AC to be more useful.

Classes that use cloth as their armor get .25 Damage Resistance per AC point. (This doesn't change)
Classes that use leather as their armor get .33 Damage Resistance per AC point. (This gives a small increase to DR)
Classes that use chain or scale as their armor get .5 Damage Resistance per AC point. (This give a moderate increase)
Classes that use Plate as their armor get 1.0 Damage Resistance per AC point. (This gives a significant increase to DR)

So what does this do, for most of the classes this doesn't change much, this actually helps the GWF and GF more the GF than the GWF.

At current GWF's only gain .33 DR per AC point. Giving a GWF more DR will allow the devs to revert determination back to 5%-10%, sorry unstoppable always seemed to me that it was more of a berserk mode. Which they should do increased damage, not to be near invincible. So the Destroyer would enjoy a increase in DR though still would not gain a huge benefit from unstoppable. Sent builds would gain a significant benefit from unstoppable though these are suppose to be a tank build.

Here GF's would benefit the most gaining a full DR point per AC, this would give a GF a significant bonus to DR allowing the GF to take more damage overall even when debuffed by terror, plague fire, High Viz sets and what ever else can be thrown at them. With a higher base bonus Defense will still be useless GF's won't take much of a hit when de-buffed. This would make the GF a tank class like they want them to be, but also if built right can deal damage and stay in the fray much longer.
Post edited by lrdthorren on

Comments

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lrdthorren wrote: »
    of all the things in game armor class (ac) needs to be also looked at and revamped.

At current ac is about the most meaningless stat in the game, yet in d&d its one of the most important stats overall. In fact at most each class gains no more that .25 to .33 damage resistance based on ac. This makes it useless for the most part and we only really have ac cause we wear the armor for the stats. Defense also gives us damage resistance which unfortunately is easily by passed with enchantments and set bonuses. Which again makes damage resistance useless and your solely then have to rely on what your base damage resistance is and this comes from your ac.

Here is what i propose on how to change the ac to be more useful.

Classes that use cloth as their armor get .25 damage resistance per ac point. (this doesn't change)
    classes that use leather as their armor get .33 damage resistance per ac point. (this gives a small increase to dr)
    classes that use chain or scale as their armor get .5 damage resistance per ac point. (this give a moderate increase)
    classes that use plate as their armor get 1.0 damage resistance per ac point. (this gives a significant increase to dr)

100000% agree
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Absolutely agreed.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    vristvrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited July 2014
    Seems it would have made sense that they along with AC, added the variable resistances, and introduced physical/magical damage, instead of simply damage, and damage resist.
  • Options
    iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    so much this
  • Options
    cindiklecindikle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited July 2014
    Don't higher armor types add more AC? Overall they already gain more.

Maybe some Feats that increase this. Could be an armor enchant. While most are proc based. Vorpal isn't as a weapon enchant. This would give higher AC's a boost enough to maybe drop some defense and get other stats. Such as power on a GF who wants more damage in PvP. Or a little extra threat.

Also, in terms of PvP. This DR could ignore armor pen. Would be a boost to GF. Although could be problematic on GWF/DC. Or just give GF's a feat for it.

Maybe reduce it's effectiveness and give higher armor types more of it.
  • Options
    lrdthorrenlrdthorren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cindikle wrote: »
    Don't higher armor types add more AC? Overall they already gain more.

Maybe some Feats that increase this. Could be an armor enchant. While most are proc based. Vorpal isn't as a weapon enchant. This would give higher AC's a boost enough to maybe drop some defense and get other stats. Such as power on a GF who wants more damage in PvP. Or a little extra threat.

Also, in terms of PvP. This DR could ignore armor pen. Would be a boost to GF. Although could be problematic on GWF/DC. Or just give GF's a feat for it.

Maybe reduce it's effectiveness and give higher armor types more of it.

Yes GF and GWF get more AC due to better armor, unfortunately higher armor class does not translate into a significant increase into Damage Resistance. My GWF has a 34 AC, this translate to only an additional 12% DR, which is just over .33 per point. If this was increased to .5 per point this would actually go up to 17% an additional 5% DR that can't be mitigated by a debuff. We could even argue to go up higher say .75 per point. This would translate to 25.5% DR base. Where a GF with similar AC also only get .33 per point, if increase to 1.0 per point then that same GF would not have a 34% base DR an increase of 22%. So again AC is severely useless and under utilized in this version of D&D.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Considering you don't choose your armor type, you just get what the default for your class is, I don't see this as adding a whole lot of options. If I could choose to put my wizard into something like a +1 Twilight Mithral Chain Shirt and a Mithral Buckler that would make sense, since it doesn't I don't see this doing anything more than starting to unbalance another system.
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I thought that DR from AC was calculated by DR = (AC-10)/2%. Does it really depend on the class?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    lrdthorren wrote: »
    Yes GF and GWF get more AC due to better armor, unfortunately higher armor class does not translate into a significant increase into Damage Resistance. My GWF has a 34 AC, this translate to only an additional 12% DR, which is just over .33 per point. If this was increased to .5 per point this would actually go up to 17% an additional 5% DR that can't be mitigated by a debuff. We could even argue to go up higher say .75 per point. This would translate to 25.5% DR base. Where a GF with similar AC also only get .33 per point, if increase to 1.0 per point then that same GF would not have a 34% base DR an increase of 22%. So again AC is severely useless and under utilized in this version of D&D.

It's not needed though. Different scaling would only crate confusion to new players. Easier to just give more AC to mail/plate.
    Also I gain 4.5% at 19ac on my HR. That's quite a difference. Although it also means 0.42% DR per AC. This is because of the formula someone stated. Because the first 10 points are useless it makes each extra point worth less. Its a sort of DR. Fact still stays you get almost 3 times the AC I get. This is overall free stats based on class.

AC really doesn't seem to have a problem to me. It seems the problem is armor pen in PvP. If this AC would ignore armor pen it would help a lot of classes who feel squishy when they shouldn't. It may require a slight balance tweak to GWF/DC. But would be a good buff to GF.

I don't think there's much of a problem in PvE. I do feel squishy on my HR. I take heavy hits. If I have to take a hit I just hope I can lifesteal through it.
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    All the numbers mentioned are funny.
    My GWF have 28 AC = 9%*1.15=10,35% far higher as the stated 0.33 per AC.
    My GF have 37 AC = 13.5%*1.15=15.525% extremely higher as the stated, closed to the 0.5% per AC. Oh wait... someone would say my GF gain for every Co Point only (34%/27 Points) ~1.26% HP. Yeah bad, that noone know the truth... oh yeah one did:
    I thought that DR from AC was calculated by DR = (AC-10)/2%. Does it really depend on the class?

Correct. Each AC give 0.5% per point. But the first 10 points are subtracted. That happen on all stats.
    That no DR(Diminishing Return) because all points gain the same benefit, independent how high their value are(so 20 Co give the same benefit each Point over 10 as 25 Co). Most people need to calculate better or simple ask someone...

Out of all: Yeah increase the % from AC for GWF/GF would help a bit, especially if they would ignore ArPen and Debuffs complete.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd like to know what game the OP is playing, because it sure isn't Neverwinter.
    cindikle wrote: »
    Because the first 10 points are useless it makes each extra point worth less. Its a sort of DR.
    THAT'S NOT WHAT DIMINISHING RETURNS ARE
    Stop using words you don't understand.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'd like to know what game the OP is playing, because it sure isn't Neverwinter.

THAT'S NOT WHAT DIMINISHING RETURNS ARE
    Stop using words you don't understand.

Such caps.

Did you miss the "sort of"?

Do you normally run into forms, caps lock blazing. Looking for the easiest target to take out of context?

Even then, I'm sure my math was off anyway. I think it's the other way around. If someone has 20 AC. That's 5%. Makes it 25% effectiveness. While the guy with a GWF at 34 is getting 12%DR at 35% effectiveness per point. Unsure where I got 42% for my HR.
  • Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Agreed.

AC should've been the desiding factor between GF and other classes in terms of survivability.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Agreed about this idea.