test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Official Discussion Thread

Comments

• dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Week 4 reviews! Overall, not quite as strong as week 3, but still better than the first two weeks.

Unearthed Draconica - 5/5
    This quest did a lot of really cool things I've never seen done before. Top-notch mapwork, and a story that rewards exploration and discovery. Love it!

Culling the Cult of the Dragon - 1/5
    An interminable slog of stacked encounters with absolutely nothing unique or exciting about it. There is no story, no creativity, and no variation in encounters. There is nothing I could recommend about it to anyone at all, for any reason, ever.

The Icy Depths of The past - 4/5
    Really cool quest. Great story, awesome mapwork, very eventful. Only the high degree of spelling and grammer errors keep me from giving it 5 stars.

Missing - 2/5
    Big maps with very few encounters made it feel very empty. Story was pretty threadbare and ended abruptly. Spelling and grammar was pretty meh. Nothing truly terrible, though.

Fire Sale - 4/5
    There was a really good story here, but I don't think it was told very well. There were a lot of elements that weren't made clear because of my choices, but seemed to be taken for granted that I would know.

The Stolen Dragon Egg - 5/5
    Awesome custom maps and a really fun story that felt like an actual D&D campaign. Played a bit fast and loose with the lore, but otherwise a great quest.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • drakkenfeldrakkenfel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited September 2014
    This Week's Entries in Game:

Cheating Death @Wilbert365
    The Discovery @kcilonni
    Joining the Dragons @Longshire
    Turtle Soup @PrettyCelt
    The Crypt of Ezra @arc7r7
    Tomb of the White Dragon @Winin

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/7001943-cult-of-the-dragon-foundry-contest-featured-entries
    Paladin.jpg
    @METH_SHADOWSTORM - Foundry author of:
    "The Sunnydale Campaign" - NWS-DKBEJ9OOM
    Episode 1: "Missing Daughters" - NW-DCX9IZBJB
    Episode 2: "A Date With Destiny" - NW-DHYEX5NKR - Featured: NW-DHFLDPWJV
    STO Foundry: "Safari So Good" - ST-HPRP2WFWI
  • tipadaknifetipadaknife Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Really strong group, this week.
    dec2014nwsig.png
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'll catch Foundry contest entries as I can whislt I got RL work this month.

- A non-spammage sort of shout can help promote your own Foundry for a contest. Include title, author, and shortcode. I don't recommend any more frequency than MAXIMUM once an hour. One at start of play, and one at end of play for you is probably more than enough.

- Use guild email to let your guildies know your Foundry is featured this week.

- Include your entry information as part of your signature here on forums.

There are plenty of non-annoying legit ways to promote a Foundry. :cool:
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Cool reviews again Tipa! I look forward to playing through these now that the weekend is upon us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prettycelt wrote: »
    Thanks again, everyone, and thanks to Cryptic for having the contest. Hopefully there will be many more.

Well... there's the Community Foundry Contest - Northern Docks District you could (and hopefully do!) enter. :cool:
    edited October 2014
    I will also mention here that I am NOT Asian, and don't speak Chinese or Japanese, and I simply cherry-picked whatever I thought was cool and/or fitting from one culture or the other without worry over purists.

I know a bit of Japanese (took it in college) and have some Japanese and Chinese friends, and lemme tell you, they fully expect Westerners to not know the difference between their cultures, but THEY understand the differences EXTREMELY well. It was jarring to me -- but my review was just that -- my review -- and wasn't meant to present anyone else's views. Well, except Kasul's, because he typically doesn't leave reviews, so I ask him as we finish each adventure what his thoughts are.

I really did like your adventure. But I do try to give my honest reactions.
    dec2014nwsig.png
    edited October 2014
    It's not made explicitly clear in the quest, but it also doesn't actually take place in Kara-Tur - Xiousing is a district of Marsember, which is in Cormyr.

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
    edited October 2014
    And here's my reviews of this week's quests:

Turtle Soup - 5/5
    An amazing quest with strong lore ties and a great story. Awesome conclusion!

The Crypt of Ezra - 4/5
    A fun dungeon crawler with well-placed encounters and a good story behind it. I'm looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

Joining the Dragons - 4/5
    Really good mapwork. Awesome RP, with some good lore references. Awesome ending.

Cheating Death - 2/5
    Not terrible, but largely underwhelming and with pretty badly-written dialogue. Ended very abruptly.

Tomb of the White Dragon - 4/5
    A very solid dungeon crawler with a great story and well-balanced encounters.

The Discovery - 3/5
    Dialogue was pretty bad and riddled with spelling and grammar errors, but the story was pretty interesting and there was some nice mapwork.

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I confess it flabbergasted me that anyone would think my NPC's were "racist" because they were too "yellow", that certainly was not the intent, but you only have so much of a color pallette in the foundry, and not everyone's monitor color settings are the same. So *shrug* I'm leaving it as is. If that's the worst complaint I receive, I count myself blessed.

I will also mention here that I am NOT Asian, and don't speak Chinese or Japanese, and I simply cherry-picked whatever I thought was cool and/or fitting from one culture or the other without worry over purists. The setting does exist in FR lore, and if the main concern is that Kara-Tur is too far away from Neverwinter to be viable in the first place, then nitpicking over whether something in dialog is technically from Shou Lung or Wa seems...well, nitpicky lol. Most players would never know the difference, so again I am leaving it as is.

Managed to play it again before the time was up (have limited play-time since the contest started). I thought it was great, the new additions and such. One of the best ones out there and if it wins something it deserves it.

As for the racist stuff, well I myself am asian (chinese heritage to be exact) and i picked up on the japanese chinese mish-mash, I never mentioned it to you because its just faction after all in a fictional world so why not have a mixture? they are exactly japanese, and in hong kong or immigrants in other countries would often speak both english interwoven with chinese words to form complete sentences so japanese/chinese is not improbable.

As for the "yellow", in a land where some races are green blue and all sorts I don't think yellow skin is out of the question and honestly it made them more distinguishable given the limitations to the game's engine. If something is not used with racist intent then its not considered racist to me (otherwise everything could be offensive to someone). But i cannot speak for everyone, some people are over-sensitive about these kinda things.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Doesn't seem to be a blog post this week. Found these six under the featured tab. This week's entries:

Rise of a New Leader - NW-DPL66UK29 - @leguaxinim

Faerun's Finest - NW-DFJDEKJZN - @djmaysin2

City of the Lost - NW-DQ9YEIZIW - @mittensofdoom

The Dragon has 3 Heads..or 5... - NW-DGGLBD2Y6 - @bardaaron

Cults and Culture - NW-DCLSFYSQ2 - @groshie

Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT - @waryur
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
    edited October 2014
    Yay! My quest is up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah i grew bored with NWO, and quit playing. Not sure if they will even feature mine. Arselu'Tel'Quess. Been playing 5e on roll20.net, trying to put the new stuff to a real test with old school gamers. I might come start playing again since there's another contest. Will definitely check it out sometime this week.
    "I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I got to play some of the contest quests today. I'm glad they are good for the daily.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • kynveelkynveel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Will they take a break next week with the contest? Because it would be highly unfair to feature them with the upcoming Call to Arms-Event. Nobody will play a foundry to get a crappy unidentified green item if you can get an awesome shadow wolf mount from the CTA instead.
    Smile! It confuses people :)
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kynveel wrote: »
    Will they take a break next week with the contest? Because it would be highly unfair to feature them with the upcoming Call to Arms-Event. Nobody will play a foundry to get a crappy unidentified green item if you can get an awesome shadow wolf mount from the CTA instead.

3/4 of the contest has had to compete with an event of some kind. The first week and the current week are the only two that have been event free. My own entry had to compete with 2x Refinement weekend, which didn't seem to affect the amount of plays as much as future events did other authors.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • kynveelkynveel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    True, but these were "passive" events. You could find refinement stones in foundry quests (especially with the dragonhoard enchantment) or farm XP during the double XP event. But the CTA takes place in another ini and it covers 5 of the 7 days.
    Smile! It confuses people :)
  • sarlacc1979sarlacc1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 47
    edited October 2014
    They kept the contest up during The Siege event so I'm sure they'll keep it going during CTA too.
    Please try my Foundry campaign, "Olivia's Trials".
    edited October 2014
    Some strong entries this week! Everyone go play!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    Click here for my reviews of the Week 6 contest entries

And, please click here for the UNOFFICIAL contest standings.

I guarantee the Cryptic folks are not using my spreadsheet to rank the entries, but I think it's pretty close.
    dec2014nwsig.png
    edited October 2014
    Well, there's an upset. Waryur's Well of Dragons might move into a prize position, the first non-week 1 quest to do so. I was thinking that was impossible!
    dec2014nwsig.png
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No Events = More overall plays = more overall stars. All quality aside, this week's entries in terms of plays got way more than previous weeks. Also, the first listed entry every week has garnered more plays at the onset of each week (makes sense, no one wants to scroll, just click and go). As the week moves on, other entries farther down gain steam, but many times not enough in the overall plays to overtake the first listing in that particular week. This week and the first week were different, but it's almost like having a "control sample" where there are no extra factors in an experiment. It's just a random observation, but still can be critical in determining how well entries may do in the future. Also for the most part, anything over 30 minutes garners far fewer plays than those that are over. It may be safe to say that any weekly event affects the overall plays, which affects the overall stars for that week (prizes in this case) so by now the contest leaders should be settling into their respective places.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
    edited October 2014
    My week 6 reviews:
    Faerun's Finest - 1/5
    This quest was terrible on all levels. R. A. Salvatore must be rolling in his grave, because this quest has killed him.

City of the Lost - 4/5
    Strong story, very impressive mapwork. Definitely room for improvement, though.

The Rise of a New Leader - 3/5
    An entertaining quest. The first dungeon had way too much running around way too empty halls, though; more enemies and doodads are needed to fill it.

The Dragon has 3 Heads... or 5... - 5/5
    One of the most hilarious quests I've played in a long time, and well-made to boot! Very epic conclusion.

Cults and Culture - 4/5
    There were parts I really liked - the lore, some of the puzzles, the creepy bits below the prison and in the magic plane... But the platforming largely killed it. Neverwinter does not support precision jumping - it's not fun, it's frustrating.

Well of Dragons - 4/5
    Very nice mapwork and a really cool story that ties into lore. I wish it were a bit longer, though. The dragons at the end also had a tendency to get in the way.

• drakkenfeldrakkenfel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited October 2014
    My SHORT CODE was changed for the Contest. Please try "A Date with Destiny" (NW-DHFLDPWJV)? In this week's judging selection. Eligible for Daily Foundry Rewards. Thank you for your time.

============

"A Date With Destiny" by @Meth_Shadowstorm {NW-DHFLDPWJV} {was NW-DHYEX5NKR}

Short Code: NW-DHYEX5NKR
    Mission Type: Rescue & Hunt
    Average Duration: 50-68 minutes (short and long paths available)
    Amount of Combat: four maps, potentially a lot of combat, clever player can use stealth
    Starts at: Buffy, a Young Drow Girl, just outside the Moonstone Mask in Protector's Enclave

Mission Summary:

After your involvement in Sunnydale, your little friend Anya decided to stay in Protector's Enclave. Gabrielle set Anya up with a small apartment and encouraged Anya to seek a trade. Anya became so enamored with your heroics that she now wants to become an Adventurer and Hero just like you. You check in on her from time to time and look after her. Other friends from Sunnydale have started to visit and bring news. Anya refers to it as intelligence. Anya listens to too many stories in the taverns of Protector's Enclave, especially the Moonstone Mask, and she has begun to take an interest in the Harpers.

Anya's Drow friend Buffy has begun to visit regularly. This visit she is very worked up and insists on seeing you immediately. She insists it is a matter of life and death, and may result in the rout of Sunnydale. She has an important message from Gabrielle. Buffy is waiting for you outside the Moonstone Mask.

[Episode 2 in "The Sunnydale Campaign" {NWS-DKBEJ9OOM} & Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest Entry]
    [For Episode 1, seek "Missing Daughters" {NW-DCX9IZBJB}]
    Paladin.jpg
  • thane6000thane6000 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi there guys. There's a new batch of quests featured this week; mine being one of them. However, it's under the ''For Review'' tab.

The name of the quest is: The Puppet

Author: @thane6000

The Short Code changed for some reason. Now it is: NW-DFGZLJBFH

I would like to hear your opinions on my quest after you've played it. Thanks!
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thane6000 wrote: »
    The Short Code changed for some reason.

FYI-
    "Featured" quests are copies of the original, hence, the Short Code always is unique. The original and the featured will coexist.
    You will never be able to edit/fix the "featured" version, however.
  • breakinstuffbreakinstuff Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Looks like we've got another quest in the Review tab this week:

The Puppet by @thane6000
    NW-DFGZLJBFH
  • thane6000thane6000 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I didn't know that Eldarth, thanks!

And breakinstuff thanks for pointing out that my quest is in the Review tab, although I already said it.

I hope you both enjoy my quest.
    edited October 2014
    Thanks again to everyone that rated and reviewed my effort. You all are awesome! I have received some really great comments, and I have learned a lot from this experience. Time to get to work on Part 3 of the Campaign! :cool:
    Paladin.jpg