test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardian Fighter´s Guard Meter at mod4: Developers, please listen to us.

2»

Comments

• klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Originally I would have agreed with you, but after testing the new block mechanic on PTS I have to say that no matter how much you buffed old block, you would die. With Knight's Valor on, the final dungeons become a whole "block or die" metagame. I was in Epic Lair of Lostmauth earlier today and I tried for a moment to drop down my guard to use Enforced Threat and I took a splattering 58000 knight's valor damage (of course I died). There's also AoE and ranged attacks all over the place.

What I'm saying is: because of the new Knight's Valor (and how **** good it is), you will be blocking dozens, if not hundreds of attacks in a single fight, the old block mechanic simply cannot cope with this.
  • tripurantakatripurantaka Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    klangeddin wrote: »
    (. . .) you will be blocking dozens, if not hundreds of attacks in a single fight, the old block mechanic simply cannot cope with this.

That is right. Now, the new shieldstamina currently present at PTS can't cope with it, neither. Thence the request of positive changes to Block.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That is right. Now, the new shieldstamina currently present at PTS can't cope with it, neither. Thence the request of positive changes to Block.

It can't? I'm pretty sure it can as I've tested it myself. Epic Lair of Lostmauth is supposedly the hardest dungeon in the game, and it coped just fine.
    There may be issues in pvp because of armor penetration, but in all honesty I have no idea as I don't pvp much.

Any positive change to current block would not have coped unless you made it permanent (aka overpowered). You need to be able to block dozens/hundreds of attacks for 20-30 seconds in a row. Unless you buff the current block to the point of absurdness it will not cope.
  • tripurantakatripurantaka Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It can't? I'm pretty sure it can as I've tested it myself.

Me too in PTS Icespire Peak; and definitely that is not my experience.
  • ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It can't? I'm pretty sure it can as I've tested it myself. Epic Lair of Lostmauth is supposedly the hardest dungeon in the game, and it coped just fine.
    There may be issues in pvp because of armor penetration, but in all honesty I have no idea as I don't pvp much.

Any positive change to current block would not have coped unless you made it permanent (aka overpowered). You need to be able to block dozens/hundreds of attacks for 20-30 seconds in a row. Unless you buff the current block to the point of absurdness it will not cope.
    I ran Epic Lair of Lostmauth earlier, and I didn't have to block that much. Most important was to run out of strong AoE attacks. When we fought the dragon I used knight's valor, and you might have a point when you bring up knight's valor and the need to block the attacks your temmate takes and it beeing very difficult with the current guard mechanics. But again: This can be solved without twisting the core mechanic of our class. Just make blocking attacks from your teammates when you use knight's valor consume less guard meter, while attacks you take yourself consume the normal amount. Attuning an encounter is a better choice than messing around with our guard mechanics.

There are many issues with this deep reaching stamina-guard: Known bugs, unknown bugs, other changes to our class that have to be made because of the stamina-guard that then produce even more bugs. Another thing is the feeling of playing GF that completely changes with the stamina-guard: The old guard mechanic transported the intense clashing of the GF with opponents very well. It was underlined by sound, and strong attacks even pushed you back a bit. You could easily tell if heavy attacks impacted on you, and you could precisely tell at what point in time that happened, which also made it easier to learn when to raise the shield.

Then think of aggravating strike (cleaving while having your shield raised): It is an at-will that taunts mobs, and is very usefull if a CW has just piled mobs together. GFs often use that at-will not to guard while attacking, but simply because they want to make use of the taunting effect. With the stamina-guard you will pay for this by losing guard meter even if no mob can attack you because they are stunned/prone at that time. And on top of that, in the most recent patch they nerfed the AP generation of aggravating strike. Then think about this: the stamina-guard always lets some damage go through which means that you will lose temporary hitpoints allmost immediately, which makes the feat "wrathfull warrior" pretty useless (that feat provides dps when having temp. hp). I could go on and on about the flaws in the mechanic of this stamina-guard.

This stamina-guard comes from a minority of very vocal pvp-focused players that want to twist our class to their liking for pvp and some of them admitted to not even playing GF since months. But PvP is NOT the major part of Neverwinter. PvE is the main part, and in a recent poll it was only 16% of the players who even played mainly pvp. I understand the need to make GFs better in PvP, but not for this price. Let's keep the guard mechanism as it is at the live server, buff it and do some tweaks to powers like knight's valor as I proposed.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    leonus15 wrote: »
    As the preview has been hapening, many people are talking of how the GF´s Guard Meter is lasting less. It seens the Guard Meter now decreases over the time we hold up the guard and not because of hit/damage taken.
    This new system seens to make our survivability worse. I dont think 10k more of Maximum Hitpoints will counter this, because for the ones that stay at frontline of dungeon, 10k of damage can be taken in few seconds. We, GFs, are tanks (specially the ones that went trought Protectors feats), so surviving is our precious thing. But even now people think we are useless, many think GWF are better cause they would survive as much as us and deal greater damage. So, if our Guard gets worse like this, Im afraid we will be even more discarded.
    I myself am a Protector GF with 14k~15k of gear score. I work always with my Guard up, at dungeons and at pvp. Specially at dungeons, I can keep the Guard lifted all time with the right work, with Iron Warrior, with Shield Slam and with Tide of Iron (that recovers 10% of guard). If the Guard decrease over time, Im afraid it will make the gameplay hard and make my survivability bad. And I ask about the Protectors feats like, Armor of Bahamut, Shieldmaster and Balanced Shield Fighter. They decrease the broken shield damage, decrease the guard loss and increase the shield slam and stab at-will, what will be of them now?. Many people say Protectors GF are jokes, so with this changes it will take the few advantages we have.

I ASK THE DEVELOPERS TO THINK AGAIN ABOUT THE GUARD METER. PLEASE, DONT MAKE THE GUARD WORSE. PLEASE, AT LEAST LEAVE THE GUARD AS IT IS.

I summon all GFs to support this request! Let us fight for our survivability!

In dungeon i have zero problem .
    PVP i saw some guy hou have x3 more guard regen& time then i have and he have her guard amlmost all time up .
    I think our build sax :)
    Not the GF or her guard i realised it in a shot time .

Also the block bug is mostly affected by BI dmg with normal adds i have zero problem.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl