test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Confused with the new notes...

lady808lady808 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
So correct me if I'm wrong, but they improved your chances to get an epic level item (if you're a healer or tank type)? Then they lowered your chances to get said item? So +1 added to a -1 is equal to a 0? Considering the drops rates as they are now... It seems it'd be more like a +1 added to a -10? Having done my fair share of HEs and walking away with nothing, in large groups as well as duoed, -10 seems fairly accurate, but correct me if I'm wrong please.

Oh! If you're not a tank or healer, you actually end up going from a -1 added to a 0 so that's equal to a -1 going by my first example? So they basically did nothing to improve the chances if you're a tank/healer, and they made it even harder if you're anyone else?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If you're going to ride my HAMSTER... At least pull my hair"
Taking the trash out, one badguy at a time.
"Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your trash back."
Post edited by lady808 on

Comments

• Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They made the scoring criteria for every class (especially GF and DC) more streamlined so it correctly adds up. Due to this change the the determined that more epics would be dropping than originally planned for so they reduced the overall amount that would drop. Basically the same amount of epics will be dropping but the chances to get it are more even distributed between all classes.
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's interesting because they're assuming that certain classes do certain things and that's how they're measuring item drop dispersion. This seems to reward people who choose popular builds and playstyles (and play a lot) vs. the casual players, who had virtually no chance of getting an item drop. Now they might have a very slight chance. It's such an odd issue to have considering the item drops are really the only thing worth getting in IWD and only to get into the skirmish. Outside of Icewind Dale, they don't really have much value over other equipment.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As it was, damage taken (which is why you sometimes get those free HE wins - you happen to run by and go whacked somewhere along then line, and later some group came in and finished the HE) and amount healed had very little effect on your overall performance score. It counted such that you got credit for participation, but Damage Done was WAAAAY more important.

This changes that so that DCs and GFs (for example) will have a chance at getting higher level results because damage taken and healing scores will count for more.

As a result of that, because there'd be more toons that qualify for higher level participation rewards, they reduced the epic drop rate overall to keep things balanced.

Remember, though, ALL classed take damage and heal themselves (potions)... well mostly likely anyway... , so improving the "juice" one gets from that meant all players will see their participation scores increased. That means all players would have seen a drastic (and unbalancing) increase in their drops - so they reduced the overall rate to compensate for that.

DCs and GFs will still see a dramatic improvement, but that doesn't mean they'll suddenly get epic drops left and right. It just means they won't bust their butts for a mere 25 Black Ice all the time now.
  • Options
    lady808lady808 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    On a positive note... I'm glad they fixed the whole 20% issue thing for getting into Kessel's. It takes away the pressing need to get the arms or the weapons from the HEs. Now there's only those with a desire for completing their sets or the collection folks that will have the drive to get them? Clerics and knights (GFs) have an increased chance for getting them now due to the fact that they can get a better score just by taking more punishment. The changes will benefit barbarians (GWFs) THE most though. Due to the sheer damage output along with the ability to take said punishment better than almost any class out there. So yet another feather in the hat for all barbarians out there. Even with the minor nerfs to their damage output...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If you're going to ride my HAMSTER... At least pull my hair"
    Taking the trash out, one badguy at a time.
    "Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your trash back."
  • Options
    chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    lady808 wrote: »
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but they improved your chances to get an epic level item (if you're a healer or tank type)? Then they lowered your chances to get said item? So +1 added to a -1 is equal to a 0? Considering the drops rates as they are now... It seems it'd be more like a +1 added to a -10? Having done my fair share of HEs and walking away with nothing, in large groups as well as duoed, -10 seems fairly accurate, but correct me if I'm wrong please.

Oh! If you're not a tank or healer, you actually end up going from a -1 added to a 0 so that's equal to a -1 going by my first example? So they basically did nothing to improve the chances if you're a tank/healer, and they made it even harder if you're anyone else?

Overall it's a very bad change. I've done the beholder, Remo, Prospectors and Raid the Raiders about 100 times on several classes (including DC and GF), unless I showed up late I was getting the 180 raw black ice + junk drops (which was on at least 90/100), but NEVER got the BI gear drops.

So to me, they are now making it even harder. Mind boggling.
  • Options
    franklin223franklin223 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kvet wrote: »
    As it was, damage taken (which is why you sometimes get those free HE wins - you happen to run by and go whacked somewhere along then line, and later some group came in and finished the HE) and amount healed had very little effect on your overall performance score. It counted such that you got credit for participation, but Damage Done was WAAAAY more important.

This changes that so that DCs and GFs (for example) will have a chance at getting higher level results because damage taken and healing scores will count for more.

As a result of that, because there'd be more toons that qualify for higher level participation rewards, they reduced the epic drop rate overall to keep things balanced.

Remember, though, ALL classed take damage and heal themselves (potions)... well mostly likely anyway... , so improving the "juice" one gets from that meant all players will see their participation scores increased. That means all players would have seen a drastic (and unbalancing) increase in their drops - so they reduced the overall rate to compensate for that.

DCs and GFs will still see a dramatic improvement, but that doesn't mean they'll suddenly get epic drops left and right. It just means they won't bust their butts for a mere 25 Black Ice all the time now.

To me the real issue with DC's qualifying for a drop is the fact that we are fighting for scraps; with never enough to go around.

With the current meta of life steal returns visa vi power and plentiful potions on short CDs. Couple that with no real damage being done to a raid - consider one or two players taking spike damage at any giving 8 second interval, out of 15-30 people... As soon as more than one single DC shows up to the fight, they are competing for tiny scraps of healing to do. God help them if there are 3 or more DC's in the raid.

None of the common healing abilities stack. Astral seal is constantly being overridden by every DC in the raid and no body is getting anything close to full healing credit for it. Astral shield doesn't stack either. So basically we are working with sunburst or forgemaster's flame or healing word to try to beat out every other DC out there to top off players that are already close to being full by the time our healing animation completes.

TLDR: basically a DC is fighting with each additional DC to top off players that are taking very little damage, meanwhile the damage those players take is almost completely already healed through life steal and potions. Since powers don't stack every DC is overriding the spells of each other; it is always best to be the last to cast astral shield.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    TLDR: basically a DC is fighting with each additional DC to top off players that are taking very little damage, meanwhile the damage those players take is almost completely already healed through life steal and potions. Since powers don't stack every DC is overriding the spells of each other; it is always best to be the last to cast astral shield.

Well I don't know about the "taking very little damage" part.

I'm usually getting seriously pummeled as a mage, and teleporting all over the field with about 8 mobs on me the majority of time, so I know I take a ton of damage as I can watch my health drop to like 1/8th left in a heartbeat. Thank god for Lifesteal and Potions.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The adjustment was great for DCs.

However, GFs will likely not see any change of the rewards because:
    1. GFs have high Damage Reduction/Deflect, so already take lower damage to begin with (except for Black Ice)
    2. GFs are not significantly more durable than other classes. Probably even less durable if you consider that other classes benefit a lot from Lifesteal and can outheal the damage they take
    3. GWFs will top the charts on damage taken because of Unstoppable

So overall, DCs and GWFs will be the main beneficiaries, and potentially TR loses out the most (lowest damage taken generally, mainly reliant on damage)
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why everything must be always so complex? Just add the weapons and bracers to the Black Ice gear store with double or triple cost whatever you want or add another currency that we would receive every time an encounter is completed meaning that after at least 40 or 50 runs we will have our items guaranteed, we will be happy knowing that we will receive items sooner or later either by luck or effort and you will keep us farming this new areas.

I'm so, so, SO disappointed with this module.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Officially giving up on the bracers...at least before you would generally get a blue BI resource but now all I get as a reward from the Hards are green BI resource, rank 4 enchant, 180 BI, I think a potion....not worth doing with the new dropless rate.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can see this helping DCs, but I haven't seen any tanks actually holding aggro on anything in the HEs, they are taking no more damage than anyone else, probably less in fact.
  • Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    I can see this helping DCs, but I haven't seen any tanks actually holding aggro on anything in the HEs, they are taking no more damage than anyone else, probably less in fact.

It doesn't really matter. I can face tank the beholder, but its AoE hits me and about 50 other players around me. What does it matter?

This is such a lousy "fix"
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    tonyswu wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter. I can face tank the beholder, but its AoE hits me and about 50 other players around me. What does it matter?

This is such a lousy "fix"

If I am reading it correctly it's not really a competition. Somebody else qualifying doesn't necessarily reduce your chances of qualifying.

Basically some of you are looking at it as if there are only X amount of prizes that can be given out based on participation. I don't think that is the case which is why they had to reduce the drop rate.

It looks more like you have to reach a threshold of points by damaging enemies, taking damage or healing allies. Everybody who reaches this threshold becomes qualified to have a chance winning a top end drop.

So, yes, the DPS classes will still have an easier time reaching this threshold, that did not change from what I am reading. What they did do was increase how many people can each this threshold by making it easier for everybody to reach this threshold. Thus increasing the drop rate.

In order to compensate for the increased amount of qualifying players they reduced the chances that it will be an epic reward.

Make sense?
  • Options
    proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Make sense?

Nope.

The RNG is bad. I'm farming gloves on 3 toons, GWF, TR, CW since release, day by day. I got NONE. After so many hours of staying in front of the screen doing the same laggy encounter, I got, at best, some bound hammerstone items that nobody wants or epic crafting mats.

Never the **** gloves.

At least I can enter that other laggy PvE thing now, Kessel's Retreat. Thanks for that, appreciate it. Cause I have given up on farming gloves. I thought this game is pay for convenience. Well I want to pay and skip this cumbersome, foolish grind, please.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    The gloves are only one of the Epic drops. You are getting epic drops.
    The change in mechanics was because some classes like DC's and GF's never qualified for a single epic drop.

My post was not arguing whether or not the glove drops are too rarecompared to other epics. My post was describing the exact wording of the changes to avoid some misconceptions on the results.

"Make sense" referred to my explanation of how it works and why it is an improvement for all classes. Nothing in regards to how quickly you want that specific epic drop to fall into your lap.
  • Options
    proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Fair enough.

I just consider that farming on 3 toons from Module 3 release to now, while other people got 6 pairs of the gloves, qualifies me for a pair as well.

This is why systems with tokens (such as CTA) are better.

You work for the gear, you KNOW you can get it.

All I am arguing against is the ridiculous gating behind RNG.

Please remove it.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    empalas wrote: »
    Officially giving up on the bracers...at least before you would generally get a blue BI resource but now all I get as a reward from the Hards are green BI resource, rank 4 enchant, 180 BI, I think a potion....not worth doing with the new dropless rate.
    Same here. For me, it's gotten worse, not better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]