Options

Gearflation/Expansions and Player Population Decline

2»

Comments

• Options
    quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    znudenej wrote: »
    Just imagine that mod 4 will be here in few months and probably new campaign. New player will have to grind 4 sets of repetitive boring quests every day for more then month to get his boons. Its not a game, its test of patience.

Oh god. RIP alts.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    znudenej wrote: »
    Just imagine that mod 4 will be here in few months and probably new campaign. New player will have to grind 4 sets of repetitive boring quests every day for more then month to get his boons. Its not a game, its test of patience.

I figured they'd somehow copy World of Warcraft's buy a level 90 toon for real money by that time.

Time is money.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    500-2000$ is the cost to play at end game capacity! Lets just take a moment to re read that. To compete in pvp, at the very end game, unless you know some very rare ways in game to become rich, that os what you will be spending to play this ftp game with 1 working pvp map with no real balance in its queueing system.

Let's be clear please. Its $500-$1000 to play at the highest end if you want to reach it on day 1 as a brand new player with no knowledge or help whatsoever.
  • Options
    vristvrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    Let's be clear please. Its $500-$1000 to play at the highest end if you want to reach it on day 1 as a brand new player with no knowledge or help whatsoever.

Its only the beginning though. PWI now has 10k USD endgame characters running around.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    vrist wrote: »
    Its only the beginning though. PWI now has 10k USD endgame characters running around.

None of which were ever forced to invest that kind of money. If players *choose* to spend ludicrous amounts of money to be top-end, then that's their prerogative. None of my character's have higher than lesser enchants, and I can still join random PvP matches and do well. No, I'm not top-end, but then again, I'm not trying to be...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    vristvrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    None of which were ever forced to invest that kind of money. If players *choose* to spend ludicrous amounts of money to be top-end, then that's their prerogative. None of my character's have higher than lesser enchants, and I can still join random PvP matches and do well. No, I'm not top-end, but then again, I'm not trying to be...

You are speaking as if your choice of game play is the rule of thumb, well it's not, especially in a competitive game that centers around gear scores. Also as I said it is just the beggning.

In the game im mentioned, managed by pwe as well, those 10k usd chars one shot entire factions, of those smaller factions full of "chose not to pay keep up" in territory wars. In fact they would still one shot my 5k usd r9 seeker. So yea, enjoy your lessers and able to still be viable while you can. At this rate clerics would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> glitter and youll find yourself at the campfire more times then the game is worth playing.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    In beta 1 rank 4 enchant ad cost was 10k in ah now 1 rank 5 "3 stat combined enchat cost 1500 ad" .
    In beta companions cost was outrage 1 stone was ower 1 mill .
    In beta t1 armor sett pice 1mill-2mill.
    In beta the Perfect wepon/armor enchat have the same prize what we have now.But to make rank 10 enchants are still cheaper.

The only problem i see is the req for IWD and class artifacts .And the new CWard problem what cause the drastic zen dry out .
    So i think NW team must implement a new system to make the respec tokens AD wise like respec feats .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    rubixman3rubixman3 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in on this two, not that they'll make one bit of difference.

Firstly, I'm not a casher, I'm a f2p, so I have to be innovative.
    1. getting players hooked:
    1-60 advancement is relatively engaging, and even quite fun at times, but it has its problems. It has no replay value what so ever as it leaves new sixties with nothing special and nowhere to start, and if someone does it more than once or twice they've memorized the quests. My solution? Firstly, don't change what they get when they turn level sixty. Instead, add new solo instances that are scattered around the maps(perhaps 1-2 per map), and make these drop t1 things like 400-500 rough ad, enchantment shards, chances for peices of a coalward, and small refining stones like peridots and perils from bosses about as strong as celadine or the knight commander. These instances should be multi leveled, with doors AFTER the preceding difficulty's section that will allow you to go on to tougher and more rewarding solo fights(ie it would start with a 6-9k area. then as you got better it would go up to a 6-9(insert gs door here)-12k area that would drop slightly better stuff). This would provide a way of advancement for new players, the drawback being that it wouldn't be very practical for guy who plays 3-4 times a week, as well as giving them something to look forward too discovering later on(the gs doors). As to the quests There isn't much in the way of fixing these. I would start by making the quests more class and race specific, so that a cleric might be doing more healing of the wounded than a gf would be, and a tr might be doing more creeping around than the gwf would be.

2.Keeping 10-15k players and the market:
    Starting with the players, the problem with a new person that just reached 12k(an easy enough task with the before mentioned things) is that they find it so hard to advance that it ceases to become fun. This is a mixture of gear, the lfg channel, and the market. The gear can only be gotten by doing dungeons(which are accessed by a broken que and the lfg channel), or buying it. It is extremely expensive on the markets, so they can't buy it, and they can't get in a dungeon to find it without the 1/50 chance of finding a good guild. Solution: make the t1 epic gear able to be found via hunting through class specific areas and quests, and again, these would be solo instances. So a gwf or guardian fighter could get their gear by doing quests in battle areas(mount hotenow, icespire peak), the clerics could get them in places that their were desecrated and battle ridden(helm's hold, neverdeath graveyard), the hr would be forested areas or drow(vellosk, whispering caverns), the cw would be magicy areas(chasm, ebondowns), and the tr would be sneaky thief areas(pirates skyhold, blackdagger ruins). This gear would bop, and have stats equivalent to the t1 epic sets. It would help eliminate some of the been there done that feeling about many of the leveling maps too. Solo able, enjoyable, profitable. Coupled with the former solo instance idea, 13-14K wouldn't feel like a grind anymore, even if it still took a long time.
    As to the lfg channel, this can't be helped, everyone wants a pro party, don't you? HOWEVER, this can be fixed by making dungeons like cta events in a way. If you were to average the team's gs, then calc the difficulty of the dungeon based off of the gs, so high gs= a proportionally harder dungeon, and low gs equals newb dungeon, then the groups would want to take low gs people with them in order to drag the difficulties down. In order for this to work there would have to be a stealth stat gs that was the highest your gs had ever been though. This would make it so they had to get a legit newb vs someone who unequipped their armor.
    The problem with the market is that people use the ah WAAAAY to much. For example, what if you could simply PAY an npc with GOLD to have them forge an enchant for you from its shards? sure, it would have to be 300-400 gold, but that just for a lesser. It takes what, 8 lesser I think to make a perfect + rp points? Supposing that it would be 350 gold per lesser, that means it wold be 2800 gold for a perfect. This would drain the value out of coal wards greatly, without making them useless. Its still a pain to collect 2800g, when you could buy them for a few bucks with zen, and you'd also want them if you were planning on using a million and one green wards for 1 rank 9 up to rank 10, so pw would still get their cash off of coal wards. With enchants and rp now easier to get(rp from new solo instances), and less demand for coal wards, inflation drops on those items. That leaves equipment. t1 epic equipment can be gotten fairly easily now, so its t2 equipment on the market. This always has been expensive to get, and rightly so, its the second best or best in the game. However, because its easier to get the t1, more people want the t2 stuff, so to counter inflation 1 of two things could happen. 1:make all t2 epics Bop, which would kill the ah for good if the other stuff dropped too, so im not opening that can of worms atm as its a whole other paragraph that i don't want to type. 2: Make t2 stuff less worth it. This doesn't mean change the gear, but make it so that all but a few not key dungeons(like 2-3) could be run smoothly with t1 gear. This could be achieved by simply nerfing monsters, or by reducing the adds in boss fights, since boss fights are usually where you loss it, but face it, is 1 boss or 10 mid size mobs tougher? That's like asking if you'd rather fight a rabid wolf or ten coyotes, duh the boss is easier, so this makes more sense than nerfing the monsters themselves. Also, by reducing the difficulty of the t2 dungeons, its making it easier to get your t2 gear from dd chests, causing even less demand for t2 epics in the ah. Its hitting one bird twice with one stone, without dropping the price too far and causing a total recession for ad as a currency. In short, more diy and less buy because you're rich. This is what people who haven't been playing a game for 2 years want to see, not I'm rich so I'm all powerful and you're poor, so you're dead. All that rapped together, there is one last market suggestion that I have, and that is to make the the raw profession resources harder to get, as in reducing the drop rate and reducing the profession collection yields by like 20-40%. This would drastically raise the price of common and uncommon resources in the market, causing a wider variety of things to market, which would help keep the ah from going into deep recession. That coupled with the blue gear, and you have two new things to sell that could actually make a decent profit overall that weren't there before, AND this is done without destroying the current markets.

whew last number
    3: pro players
    If you want your true pro players to hang around, then you need to have end game content. As said before in the threads, pw seems to be trying to hang onto them with pvp. This is a broken system though, so we're back to square 1. Solution? Give the game something to beat. Runescape took Tofraz ,any years to beat and hes the only one to do it so far. Why? Because it required 13 mil exp to max each of the 20+ skills. But this is neverwinter, so we can't add skills, or can we? We can add skills that are just that- things that are enhanced through use, not dailies, campaigns, or some other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like that. Things like a weapon mastery skill that would allow you to deal slightly more damage per level(.3-5%, with max of 100 or 99) and could be trained by casting powers, NOT DEALING DAMAGE, as in you get exp for ACTIVATING a power, not for what that power does. A wilderness lore skill could reduce damage you take from poison, wild animals, or elemental magic, while also granting the ability to find a few new companions. This could be trained via being in combat(again, being in combat, not dealing damage) while these types of damages were being dealt to enemies. The more damage that was being dealt, the faster the exp gain. If need be, exp gain could be changed according to how many people were in a given party as well to avoid unbalances. This would provide a sense of "I can still be ALOT stronger if I max these skills" for pro players, and also you could make extra instances for them that could only be accessed if they had a high enough skill of a given type, so that they could have some tough areas for these skills to be used in if they wanted to. This also would provide a sort of busy work for all levels, so that when people get bored they'll say "hey! lets go level up some skills in neverwinter!" instead of saying "Hey! Lets go get wasted or watch tv!". In short it would help keep people playing.
    Alternatively, you could fix the pvp, but lets face it. D&D is about pve, and in the end neverwinter is too. So lets just not go there.

The end result of all this would be a market that used gold AND zen AND ad, a market with more variety, and a market with fairer prices, not to mention not having to buy your coal wards for ridiculous ad prices if you don't want to, and if you do, the prices are reasonable, not utterly terrible. It would also include more solo content that was actually useful and usable throughout the game, not just late or early game, it would result in more incoming players, less outgoing players, and a wider variety of the player base because solo players and diy could actually get somewhere now. There would also be much more room for improvement for EVERY character.
    AND don't forget the pw still gets their fair share of $,$$$,$$$.$$

:cool:
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rubixman3 wrote: »
    I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in on this two, not that they'll make one bit of difference.

1-60 advancement is relatively engaging, and even quite fun at times, but it has its problems. It has no replay value what so ever as it leaves new sixties with nothing special and nowhere to start, and if someone does it more than once or twice they've memorized the quests. My solution? Firstly, don't change what they get when they turn level sixty. Instead, add new solo instances that are scattered around the maps(perhaps 1-2 per map), and make these drop t1 things like 400-500 rough ad, enchantment shards, chances for peices of a coalward, and small refining stones like peridots and perils from bosses about as strong as celadine or the knight commander. These instances should be multi leveled, with doors AFTER the preceding difficulty's section that will allow you to go on to tougher and more rewarding solo fights(ie it would start with a 6-9k area. then as you got better it would go up to a 6-9(insert gs door here)-12k area that would drop slightly better stuff). This would provide a way of advancement for new players, the drawback being that it wouldn't be very practical for guy who plays 3-4 times a week, as well as giving them something to look forward too discovering later on(the gs doors). As to the quests There isn't much in the way of fixing these. I would start by making the quests more class and race specific, so that a cleric might be doing more healing of the wounded than a gf would be, and a tr might be doing more creeping around than the gwf would be.

Starting with the players, the problem with a new person that just reached 12k(an easy enough task with the before mentioned things) is that they find it so hard to advance that it ceases to become fun. This is a mixture of gear, the lfg channel, and the market. The gear can only be gotten by doing dungeons(which are accessed by a broken que and the lfg channel), or buying it. It is extremely expensive on the markets, so they can't buy it, and they can't get in a dungeon to find it without the 1/50 chance of finding a good guild. Solution: make the t1 epic gear able to be found via hunting through class specific areas and quests, and again, these would be solo instances. So a gwf or guardian fighter could get their gear by doing quests in battle areas(mount hotenow, icespire peak), the clerics could get them in places that their were desecrated and battle ridden(helm's hold, neverdeath graveyard), the hr would be forested areas or drow(vellosk, whispering caverns), the cw would be magicy areas(chasm, ebondowns), and the tr would be sneaky thief areas(pirates skyhold, blackdagger ruins). This gear would bop, and have stats equivalent to the t1 epic sets. It would help eliminate some of the been there done that feeling about many of the leveling maps too. Solo able, enjoyable, profitable. Coupled with the former solo instance idea, 13-14K wouldn't feel like a grind anymore, even if it still took a long time.
    As to the lfg channel, this can't be helped, everyone wants a pro party, don't you? HOWEVER, this can be fixed by making dungeons like cta events in a way. If you were to average the team's gs, then calc the difficulty of the dungeon based off of the gs, so high gs= a proportionally harder dungeon, and low gs equals newb dungeon, then the groups would want to take low gs people with them in order to drag the difficulties down. In order for this to work there would have to be a stealth stat gs that was the highest your gs had ever been though. This would make it so they had to get a legit newb vs someone who unequipped their armor.
    The problem with the market is that people use the ah WAAAAY to much. For example, what if you could simply PAY an npc with GOLD to have them forge an enchant for you from its shards? sure, it would have to be 300-400 gold, but that just for a lesser. It takes what, 8 lesser I think to make a perfect + rp points? Supposing that it would be 350 gold per lesser, that means it wold be 2800 gold for a perfect. This would drain the value out of coal wards greatly, without making them useless. Its still a pain to collect 2800g, when you could buy them for a few bucks with zen, and you'd also want them if you were planning on using a million and one green wards for 1 rank 9 up to rank 10, so pw would still get their cash off of coal wards. With enchants and rp now easier to get(rp from new solo instances), and less demand for coal wards, inflation drops on those items. That leaves equipment. t1 epic equipment can be gotten fairly easily now, so its t2 equipment on the market. This always has been expensive to get, and rightly so, its the second best or best in the game. However, because its easier to get the t1, more people want the t2 stuff, so to counter inflation 1 of two things could happen. 1:make all t2 epics Bop, which would kill the ah for good if the other stuff dropped too, so im not opening that can of worms atm as its a whole other paragraph that i don't want to type. 2: Make t2 stuff less worth it. This doesn't mean change the gear, but make it so that all but a few not key dungeons(like 2-3) could be run smoothly with t1 gear. This could be achieved by simply nerfing monsters, or by reducing the adds in boss fights, since boss fights are usually where you loss it, but face it, is 1 boss or 10 mid size mobs tougher? That's like asking if you'd rather fight a rabid wolf or ten coyotes, duh the boss is easier, so this makes more sense than nerfing the monsters themselves. Also, by reducing the difficulty of the t2 dungeons, its making it easier to get your t2 gear from dd chests, causing even less demand for t2 epics in the ah. Its hitting one bird twice with one stone, without dropping the price too far and causing a total recession for ad as a currency. In short, more diy and less buy because you're rich. This is what people who haven't been playing a game for 2 years want to see, not I'm rich so I'm all powerful and you're poor, so you're dead. All that rapped together, there is one last market suggestion that I have, and that is to make the the raw profession resources harder to get, as in reducing the drop rate and reducing the profession collection yields by like 20-40%. This would drastically raise the price of common and uncommon resources in the market, causing a wider variety of things to market, which would help keep the ah from going into deep recession. That coupled with the blue gear, and you have two new things to sell that could actually make a decent profit overall that weren't there before, AND this is done without destroying the current markets.

whew last number
    If you want your true pro players to hang around, then you need to have end game content. As said before in the threads, pw seems to be trying to hang onto them with pvp. This is a broken system though, so we're back to square 1. Solution? Give the game something to beat. Runescape took Tofraz ,any years to beat and hes the only one to do it so far. Why? Because it required 13 mil exp to max each of the 20+ skills. But this is neverwinter, so we can't add skills, or can we? We can add skills that are just that- things that are enhanced through use, not dailies, campaigns, or some other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like that. Things like a weapon mastery skill that would allow you to deal slightly more damage per level(.3-5%, with max of 100 or 99) and could be trained by casting powers, NOT DEALING DAMAGE, as in you get exp for ACTIVATING a power, not for what that power does. A wilderness lore skill could reduce damage you take from poison, wild animals, or elemental magic, while also granting the ability to find a few new companions. This could be trained via being in combat(again, being in combat, not dealing damage) while these types of damages were being dealt to enemies. The more damage that was being dealt, the faster the exp gain. If need be, exp gain could be changed according to how many people were in a given party as well to avoid unbalances. This would provide a sense of "I can still be ALOT stronger if I max these skills" for pro players, and also you could make extra instances for them that could only be accessed if they had a high enough skill of a given type, so that they could have some tough areas for these skills to be used in if they wanted to. This also would provide a sort of busy work for all levels, so that when people get bored they'll say "hey! lets go level up some skills in neverwinter!" instead of saying "Hey! Lets go get wasted or watch tv!". In short it would help keep people playing.
    Alternatively, you could fix the pvp, but lets face it. D&D is about pve, and in the end neverwinter is too. So lets just not go there.

The end result of all this would be a market that used gold AND zen AND ad, a market with more variety, and a market with fairer prices, not to mention not having to buy your coal wards for ridiculous ad prices if you don't want to, and if you do, the prices are reasonable, not utterly terrible. It would also include more solo content that was actually useful and usable throughout the game, not just late or early game, it would result in more incoming players, less outgoing players, and a wider variety of the player base because solo players and diy could actually get somewhere now. There would also be much more room for improvement for EVERY character.

...and I thought I was the "wall of text" guy..
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    rubixman3 wrote: »

whew last number

That is all well and good but to be honest I have come to the conclusion that they are just gonna throw a little resources here and there into mainly cosmetic quick-fixes until the gold-spammer kickbacks to Perfect World finally run dry and then just pull the plug on the servers.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    rubixman3rubixman3 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Honestly I agree with you, I've seen games go that way before. Nonetheless I'd like to see that happen, and at any rate I still have fun on nw so I'm going to keep playing.
  • Options
    bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    PWE is preparing for the inevitable bleeding of the current playerbase. The time has already pass, the game isn't new anymore and has reached the typical time that MMOs start continuously reduction of the playerbase.

That is why they have done things like making Coalescent Wards BoP. Requiring 3rd tired boon to start Module 3 campaign and then requiring 30+ days to start getting the current expansions gear. Then reducing the only way for free2play players to get to Module 3 campaign quicker, nerfing Ciphers from invocation from 3 to 1.

You used to be able to hit 60 and start enjoying endgame quickly and be on equal footing gearwise to players if you payed or within reasonable time if you free2play'd it.

Guess what? This game used to be worth it for new players. Level to 60 in a few days and start enjoying some of the most balanced free2play gameplay in a MMO on the market. Not anymore.

Getting new player's to stick around isn't the goal anymore, it's to nickel and dime those that decided the game was worth playing and are already invested.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I played over 10 different MMOs, and almost every MMO was suffering the way OP described. After 2-3 years only veterans and their twinks were playing the game and new players had no chance to compete as it was to hard to find a party to low end content, they were forced to either spend huge amount of time or pay a lot of money if the game was f2p (the irony), so it was easier for them to find a new game, that is less then 1 year old.

The only good solution to help new players to reach high end content without spending insane amount of time or money is speed up older content each time the new expansion comes out. That said, for out instance, Sharandar should have been reworked to be completable faster then in 2 months (what a stupidity). I personally can no longer level new characters, because of huge time sink Sharandar, Dread Ring and Icewind Dale cause.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm in the same boat.

Leveling new characters is not an option for me anymore.

It simply takes too long with all the campaigns. I was so certain they were going to just unlock all the Sharandar campaign rewards for everyone in Mod 3, or at least severely reduce their requirements. Instead they don't, and then on top of that require a rank 3 boon from Sharandar or Dread before you can even start the new content.

Then on top of this, they make open world PVP allow companions. Meaning the alts I already have, will always be at a disadvantage in these areas in PVP because I don't want to spend so much AD on all my characters just for open world PVP. At least open world PVP was a complete flop and hardly anybody does it. So in a strange way I don't actually have to worry about it.

Then on top of super inflated market, which means each alt will cost tons more than they used to, they make coalescent wards BoP, making new characters cost even more AD.

Then on top of all that, they release Class Artifacts, to entice people to make new characters that they will never use once they hit level 60 and 3 boons.

So, new characters take far longer than previous to finish and cost far more AD.

So, leveling new characters is not an option for me anymore.
  • Options
    xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    The real problem is, that new players have no way of getting ad just by grinding.
    Back in the days, 5-6 month ago, everyone was farming CN for his gear/enchants and it worked fairly well, since the enchant prizes were around ~5-6m ad for a r10, ~10m ad for a perf vorpal.
    The difference is, that the enchant prices dropped by maybe 10% but the value of CN dropped by more than 90%.
    In addition to that, less ppl are running CN nowadys and you also need extra ad for artifacts.
    It wouldn't be that bad, when there would be content with new boe items, but since MC and even VT only drop bop stuff its not worth farming those.
    A max geared toon right now without companions costs around 80m ad! I highly doubt anyone wants to farm 80m ad in CN.
  • Options
    chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    In beta 1 rank 4 enchant ad cost was 10k in ah .

In open beta there were 3 servers, EACH with a much higher population than the current server.
  • Options
    chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    xmousepadx wrote: »
    It wouldn't be that bad, when there would be content with new boe items, but since MC and even VT only drop bop stuff its not worth farming those.

It appears all new content will be BoP like MC and VT probably to make it harder for folks to obtain AD. The problem then is that once people get their gear, there is no motivation to repeat it. People then get bored and quit.
  • Options
    maroucatmaroucat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The way I see it, most of the other stuff you see people yelling about are symptoms of the same disease. Gearflation and expansion content.

Pvp Matchmaking
    GearScore in PvP matches

---These are big issues because the difference between the fresher characters and the old ones are so great as to be insurmountable.

A fresh off the bus 60 should probably within a day be within 75% of the power level of a character that has capped all available content (progressing slowly thereafter). The fact that capped out characters can often solo 3 fresh (2+ weeks old) level 60 players is clear evidence that is not the case today.

So, either you need to segment the player base with strict matchmaking, in order to retain fun (prevent frustration) for the new players and the old alike (boredom) or fix the gear gap by making items available to new characters obtainable much more quickly up to a certain threshold.

Balance between classes
    ---These are symptoms of the press to add content as priority one, with balance considerations taking a back seat. Balance is an ongoing struggle in any game, but the rate at which balance changes are being addressed in this game is detrimental to the community. Classes are nerfed into limited viability (forced spec paths) or buffed into hercules, and rather than being adjusted a few weeks later, are allowed to flounder or flourish for months before further adjustments are made.

This leads to FOTM builds/toons, and frustration by dedicated players, as they are forced into certain builds to be able to have fun and compete.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Between rank 10 enchants, perfects, artifacts and boons now epic pet bonus's there is just too much of a difference between a new lvl 60 player and a hard core veteran for them to even be considered the same level and allowed in the same content, and it gets worse with every expansion.
  • Options
    phreeakphreeak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    played the game last year but i quitted after some weeks.. now i played a hr to level 60 and got the t2 pvp gear but i think i will quit again.. i dont really see a future w/o spending 6-7hrs a day (all dailies taking way too long.. need 2-3hrs with breaks for sharandar, 2 pvp dailies and the 3 skirmish) or spending an ridiculous amount of money in ADs to be able to kill a veteran maybe in pvp, yeh i like pvp (the last mega veteran took 0 dmg crits from me.... i frustrated logged off)

normally when i want some, like now a rune for weapon enhancement slot to get the glow i work hard.. but at thisratio i need 2-3 weeks to get the ads... for 1 thing,
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I used to play 3 different classes(4 characters) regularly enough that I bought them all r7s and greater/perfects. It's at the point now that I can only play 1. So now I truely have a 'main' and that's the only character I play.

Also it's considered one of the OP classes. I have EVERY class available to me to play at 60, but after my main gets nerfed I'm not going to start icewind dale dailies on another character. This game is getting absurd.

It should be illegal the things PW have done to us.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    You do have a point.

Have you tried to get into a T1 dungeon lately? I battled to get my GWF into T1s and this was as recent as a month ago. LFG is full of requests for MC/VT/CN with 14k GS minimums.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    maroucat wrote: »
    This problem exists in every game,
    1 year later, Gearflation and PvE expansions have made certain classes really overpowered

Not really. Take Wow, many many years later the DPS classes have similar DPS. No class is clearly overpowered, there iw no equivalent of our pve CW or pvp PFHR. The gearflation has sure taken place though, with Wow servers now finding it hard to handle damage with so many digits.

Does new content have to mean higher-performance gear? Absolutely not:
    New classes is one way. Druid (would have been fine for IWD), warlock (would have been fine for Dread ring), HR (would have been fine for Sharandar).
    More mechanisms: e.g, taking weight into account. Here's an ice bridge, only halflings and dwarves can pass. At present, a full horde of two-ton Trolls will pass and the ice bridge won't break. Climbing trees, swimming, seeing into the dark.
    Better foes. Skin is not everything. Fire foes should be immune to fire spells and more vulnerable to ice spells, weak foes should leave a lost fight and bait you toward a larger group of foes, etc etc
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well lets look a NW and the progress with coals by modules (timings a bit off but close enough) in relation to what new characters face:

Module 1-

Coals, coals, everywhere. Drop rate is nuts. New players have perfect and high rank enchants in no time.

Module 2-

Coals from invoke now bound to players. Drop rate drastically lowered. New players face 200k+ AD coals. Upward climb to that perfect and higher rank enchants but still very doable.

Module 3-

Tradebar merchant coals locked. Unbound coals become scarce. New players now face 500k+ AD coals (when there are ones) or spending $10USD for each.

I'll be honest, I have no idea how they can keep retention now. New players will see the requirements for the new ceiling shortly after reaching 60 and just move on. The only way to fix this is Cryptic has to get out of the coal business and find other ways to monetize this game. Where? Player and/or guild houses and fashion wear. Also microtransactions are suppose to be micro. $10 is not micro. You want more bag sells? How about selling players a chest for their house instead.

Another option is to sell module access. As long as the price is reasonable people will pay for new content unlocks. I might have payed for Module 1 access for all my toons.

You name it buddy!

I have a top notch GF, but sadly he isn't worth a dime now in the current PVE system. I started two alts and it's so hard to bring them to a decent level, i will probably never make it so far with them as i did with my GF. Yes i could take the enchants out of the old guy, but i hope for a fix from Cryptic for the GF and i don't have the heart to "steal" away my GF's possessions and give it to my new alts.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    sunnyx22sunnyx22 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    2014 but prophetic thread, especially the OP.
  • Options
    lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sunnyx22 wrote: »
    2014 but prophetic thread, especially the OP.

Unbelievable indeed XD
  • Options
    evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lol I was wondering why people were complaining about their GF's - mine has never been better (apart from all the bugs). Leveling to 70 was easy whereas my CW was dying all over the place. My CW is now a Dragon Run Slave.
  • Options
    nwoun1nwoun1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Major problem is refining. New players have no chance to legitimately catch up whatsoever.

They already announced they will be looking at PVE difficulty and if new players can't complete T2s with full T1 / R7s, than that's a problem. So my best guess is that they will indeed scale back PVE quite a bit, so that the casuals will be able to master them again.

Right now, at 70 a fresh toon at 1.5k ilvl can't even complete dailies on its own. I mean, if you come in and realize you can't play the game, why would you stay?