What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Curse of Icewind Dale Preview Patch Notes NW.15.20140520a.4

13»

Comments

• w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mmm1001 wrote: »
    Coal wards will be BOA, but enchantments are NOT.
    Yet.

/10 char
  • znudenejznudenej Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is not how economy works. Prices might go up for a while but in long term it is all about supply/demand. People which now sell wards will still have them and won't be able to sell them so they will make enchantments and sell them instead. This will increase amount of enchantments in AH and price will fall.

When you think about this game does have small stabile playerbase. There are many newcomers what buys lesser enchants etc. and after while they quit game because bugs, unbalance and lack of end game but NW does have good advertising, reviews and its D&D themed so there are fresh newcomers and this cycle over and over again. This is why price of these enchants will not fall alot.
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think they killing the game slowly by making it to expensive for new players to get to the end game with high geared PvP premades etc.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You know how this will affects the economy? Let me tell you, did u see c.wards at 100k AD before? Do you know it spiked up to 300k AD and will continual rise to 500k afterwards? How many c.wards you need to refine from shards to a perfect? It is 8+4+2+1= 15 wards. So theoretically u got to pay extra 400k AD per ward to refine an enchant in comparison to last year. How much is that? 15 x 400k AD= 6 million AD more to refine from shard? Why this wouldn't affect the economy??

While we can get some cheap perfects like feytouched and negation for 3 mil+ each with 250k c.wards now, they got to pay 3.75 mil extra to refine... We gain our daily AD for 24k AD per day as a newbie, and how much time needed to get 3.75 mils?? Do you think they have any chance to chase up?? That 3.75 mil is just the extra c.ward fees to refine, not even including the price of the enchant!!

Special rare enchants are very pricey now like briatwine as it is not popular but it has its usefulness. These type of enchant cannot be found anymore as in future the price of c.ward is so high and no one willing to refine it cuz the demand is low. I can foresee the only enchants in AH is some of the best selling items like vorpal, barkshield, soulforged and plaguefire if this is implemented.

These are just my opinions, you may correct me if i am wrong.
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Its the 11th hour and only minutes remain. NO change now and if you feel its needed to keep cryptic afloat financially, please at least think of access ways to get coal wards into the game. (500k at the bazaar or something)

Uh?

Dude, didn't you know you can exchange 500k ad for 1k zen and get 1 CW in the zen store? Making Cwards bought in the tarmalune bars BOA doesn't mean there will be no more wards available to the f2p players, they will get only more expensive but still accessible to the people with enough AD.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is not how economy works. Prices might go up for a while but in long term it is all about supply/demand. People which now sell wards will still have them and won't be able to sell them so they will make enchantments and sell them instead. This will increase amount of enchantments in AH and price will fall.

Your not talking about open commerce, your talking about a strict system that is set up by a game company, in the real world people would outsource these darn coals from Taiwan, Korea, Thailand or china and resell them to consumers abroad for 1/10th of the price, reducing overhead and garnering market share.

By the way, how much zen was being sold this morning? That has been a common complaint for weeks if not months. 500k AD isnt peanuts to new players, thats alot of AD, Ive never had more then 1 million myself at one time, which I turned into a normal vorpal a few months back, that is alot of salvaging, dailies, dds to get to that point and it has steadily gotten worse even in my 6 months of play time, the pricing and ability to increase your classes is getting ridiculous.

Sure, there are players who have never paid any real life money and have millions of AD, some of these can play for hours on end or have been playing since beta, what I am saying is this game is gated TOO heavily in favor of those players and not enough to balance incoming players. The cost associated is too high at the moment and needs to be re-balanced, frankly this is a MORE important subject then the common complaint of re-balance of the classes.
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Sure, there are players who have never paid any real life money and have millions of AD, some of these can play for hours on end or have been playing since beta, what I am saying is this game is gated TOO heavily in favor of those players and not enough to balance incoming players. The cost associated is too high at the moment and needs to be re-balanced, frankly this is a MORE important subject then the common complaint of re-balance of the classes.

Well, that's their point. Do you like the game but can't play too much? Then you have to pay since the zen store allow you to get everything faster and you won't need to grind anything. It's still f2p, you don't need to pay anything but then grind like crazy.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Any news on BoA Tarmalune Bars?

Also, as a recommendation for further development, please consider making discount coupons for Coalescent Wards at 40% and have them drop in Kessell's Retreat or Dungeon crates at 1-5% chance.

Just putting this in there; it's the last chance for people who put an enchant on every character to make up their mind which is BiS and sell the surplus - You will have to pay 5g to relog with the right enchantment setup, and you will be coralled.
  • ferraz01ferraz01 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1k of zen the CW rarely has the sale zen, 10 players are 10 k of zen which rarely has the sale.

You will have to wait the goodwill of someone sell zen.

players knows very well that rarely has zen the sale from the beginning of the module 3.
  • ferraz01ferraz01 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, that's their point. Do you like the game but can't play too much? Then you have to pay since the zen store allow you to get everything faster and you won't need to grind anything. It's still f2p, you don't need to pay anything but then grind like crazy.

1k of zen the CW rarely has the sale zen, 10 players are 10 k of zen which rarely has the sale.

You will have to wait the goodwill of someone sell zen.

players knows very well that rarely has zen the sale from the beginning of the module 3.
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Because the Zen exchange has a fixxed cap, it doesn't mean that coal wards will never go over $10. In the case that demand for Zen far exceeds supply, coalescent wards, and any Zen store items, will sell on the AH for higher than the 500AD/Zen ratio. There is no limit to what these items can go for on the AH.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    The thing is, people who exchange astral diamonds don't just get Zen from out of nowhere. If I exchange 250k AD for 500 Zen, that does not mean 500 Zen is just created from nothing. Someone bought that 500 Zen and paid Cryptic money for it. Same with all the Zen i the exchange. The reason why this is good is it keeps the game economy flowing. Even if people are just buying keys using Zen from the AD they get from selling lockbox loot, Cryptic still gets money because someone had to have bought the Zen in the first place. Cryptic isn't losing money at all from this, and in fact is most likely profiting quite a bit. Changing this is a pretty obvious and shallow cashgrab that will end up backfiring because not only will most people not buy Zen if they weren't already (I'd rather just get the 500k AD for one at 500AD/Zen), but this now devalues the lockboxes and means that fewer people will pay actual money to buy keys. The Neverwinter execs need to realize that a well-flowing economy is essential to a free-to-play game because it means more people are playing it, and if more people are playing it then not only will more people feel like spending money, but more people will spend money to sell Zen to the people who won't spend money. If they dry that up, people will just stop playing and they lose money from both.

People trading AD for Zen is not a lost-sale; in fact it's the complete opposite. People are still spending money. If Cryptic wants everyone to spend money, then they should make it a subscription-only game.

Well, no. This post is riddled with inaccuracies and narrow-mindedness. I don't know where to begin First of all, you remove the market for people buying coal wards off of the zenstore (currently, that market is very slim, but it will most likely change). Secondly, you completely missed the point of Cryptic's change because you are unable to take yourself off of the player's narrow perspective. If there is less return on the investment off keys, people aren't able to rebuy more keys from all their rewards thereby negating any profit going to Cryptic. A little perspective is fun.

Also, it is really funny how these some players forgot that coal wards used to be 40k back in the day. Eh needs a history lesson from the veterans I guess. If people managed to survive an 800% price increase, I'm sure they will a 20% one.

Lastly, if these people depend on the coalwards in their lockbox buying decisions, then they either will not spend real money on it anyways since they aren't focusing on their net profit but the epic mounts/artifacts/companions.
  • philippeletrivphilippeletriv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Uh?

Dude, didn't you know you can exchange 500k ad for 1k zen and get 1 CW in the zen store? Making Cwards bought in the tarmalune bars BOA doesn't mean there will be no more wards available to the f2p players, they will get only more expensive but still accessible to the people with enough AD.

Well I'm almost agree but it's also a matter of time. Assuming that you can refine only 24K AD per day it takes almost a month to get the 500k AD and then only for a lesser enchant. Assuming that you need 15 CW to grow a perfect enchant it takes more than a year to have it. I know you can sell thing so I can imagine this duration could be shorter but it seems quite long anyway don't you think?
    bring back dungeon now
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    "If there is less return on the investment off keys, people aren't able to rebuy more keys from all their rewards thereby negating any profit going to Cryptic."

Either of these happen actually
    1) Either the total bundle of goods sales at a price to account for the cost of keys,
    2) or only random gamblers buy keys.

Assuming 1) is true (and it probably is), we note that the sum of cost for keys and revenue for total goods sold will be near zero when you add them. What you can expect is higher prices on epic pets and mounts from boxes because there is no coal wards. This will necessarily diminish the rate of transactions as there will be less people willing to pay the new price. Less transactions on stuff that comes out of boxes imply there will be less key purchases.

All of the above paragraph is true. Without any doubt. There will be less key purchases. You took something of value out of buying boxes. The question can't be whether or not will there be diminished key purchases, but to what degree will the rate of key purchases be diminished. Maybe barely reduced at all, or maybe noticeably reduced.

The question for Perfect World is will the diminished key purchase revenue be made up for with increased revenue from coal purchases. That could be true. They are probably thinking, "okay now people have to buy coals from us ergo we make more money." But because coals were already being bought and supplied to players via keys, they could discover there really isn't any extra money to make. They could discover revenue is remarkably similar before and after with an increase in coal buys and a decrease in key buys because the market place was pricing all this out through keys.

I wonder if Perfect World's angle is simply to disrupt the mass key purchasing industry. They may want to get directly at the player and make these guys that buy in bulk go away. Those people buying boxes in mass are a bit of a middle man. From that point of view, they wouldn't care that revenue didn't increase. They just want it structured better from their point of view, and maybe they see increased revenue from removing the middle man as the market is more efficient.

It is possible nothing happens from PWs point of view, or they may see more money because selling coals directly is more efficient. Who knows, but it is interesting.
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    The lockboxers will simply buy shards and profit share, the inflated price of coal wards accommodates the shard's inclusion. Running a DD will be more profitable now.

Imagine if a lockboxer sold all their coals at 250k. You might think they are losing 250k per 200 bars with this change.

You would be wrong.

Now they stand to gain 250k refining shards.

4 Shards will not cost 225k, they will make more profit. This is limited by demand in a more time sensitive manner than the previous investment bank model.

Shards will sell for more, and people will run dungeons to get them, it might even reach 40k for most shards x 4. It should up them considerably, and then the lockboxer will just raise the enchant prices and the shard prices will stall them, then people running dungeons will get a discount on their Ward each run, or more importantly, further discounts the more dungeons they run.

As was, lockboxers sold Coals to people with shards, the end.
    Now; lockboxers get coals, buy shards, make enchants, sell enchants. They'll likely generate more AD on their own accounts but the time invested in dungeons is more effective than the time spent farming AD passively.

It's really all a kick in the teeth for the PvP player. You will be grateful reading this.

Everyone should list enhancement shards at 50k a piece and revolt!
  • wampibaawampibaa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    brobora wrote: »
    As was, lockboxers sold Coals to people with shards, the end.
    Now; lockboxers get coals, buy shards, make enchants, sell enchants. They'll likely generate more AD on their own accounts but the time invested in dungeons is more effective than the time spent farming AD passively.

Everyone should list enhancement shards at 50k a piece and revolt!

While this is partially true, the problem is that shards are simply too easy to come by. PK is doable in seven minutes I would assume CT to be a whole lot faster (need to prolly do a speedrun there just for giggles). This means shards will be flooding the auctionhouse, and since less and less people can actually afford coal wards or lesser enchantments, there will not be as much need for shards.
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    Huge Bug All black ice gear since today patch on preview has 0 BI damage resist.
    A major issue/bug.

All black ice gear since today patch on preview has 0 BI damage resist. I even made a new piece and it is zero. ( HR gear for me)

Silverquick hoped onto to check his gear and it was all 0 black ice damage resist. (CW gear for him)

Also this bars any entry to kessell's retreat, and negates the black ice gear.

Cayapp,

We were able to revert the change that caused this issue. Thank you again for your callout and urgency on this matter. I would have been very sad if this made it live and we needed to do another maintenance, especially since we needed to bring the server down anyway for data center updates this morning.

You saved us all a lot of headache and trouble. This is one of the many reasons why we have the Preview server and cherish users like yourself.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    This Just In:

Buying a perfect enchantment with real world cash is now, at minimum, going to cost you 140$ unless you give up slightly over 291 days of your life to farming (At 24k AD a day). This does not even include the AD required for Marks of Potency or any of the other ingredients. Just the coal wards.

Does that put things into perspective by any chance?

So a new player looking to catch up with real honest-to-god American dollars has the opportunity to catch up overnight for several hundred dollars. On one character. Or they can grind for a year, or grind for 6 months on two characters.

Yeah.

(Oh, and what's that? This doesn't even address armor enchants on gear? Oh dear!)
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If you are only making 24k a day you are doing it wrong.

Put this into perspective.

A fungi tunic in everquest cost 50k platinum in 2002. If you looked at the platinum you earned from creature kills you would have discovered it took approximately one billion years to farm 50k plat, but if instead you got other drops off camps you could do, selling those drops to other players, you would eventually get your fungi tunic.

You need generate items that other players want to deal yourself into a player economy. Refining produces nothing that players want and inevitably it means it will be tedious and long.

The 24k refining gives people the erroneous impression that the optimal way to get wealth is to farm currency directly. That has never been true. It will never be true, and is not true. The most effective way to get wealthy in any MMO is to form a regular group and farm things faster and better than other people that are not in regular groups. Neverwinter is no different even though it has this refining thing.

At the end of the day all refining does is help tie the currency to a time measure. For example, AoW boots sell for 48 days of refining.
  • myvain7myvain7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited May 2014
    Icewind Dale: Some heroic encounters will no longer give participation to players who may not have actually participated under some situations.
    Happened 3 or 4 times after patch (dwarven valley). Most of the time it was Totem of Auril i think.
    Chaotic neutral - so i can do whatever the hell i want
  • zippichzippich Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    panderus wrote: »
    Cayapp,

We were able to revert the change that caused this issue. Thank you again for your callout and urgency on this matter. I would have been very sad if this made it live and we needed to do another maintenance, especially since we needed to bring the server down anyway for data center updates this morning.

You saved us all a lot of headache and trouble. This is one of the many reasons why we have the Preview server and cherish users like yourself.

Well, seems like you can still do it, because Black Ice Domination can't be completed, Mother lode not respawning and there is not enough BI to collect.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    zippich wrote: »
    Well, seems like you can still do it, because Black Ice Domination can't be completed, Mother lode not respawning and there is not enough BI to collect.

This problem also occurs with the regular pve motherlode Heroic encounter sometimes.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    This problem also occurs with the regular pve motherlode Heroic encounter sometimes.

Yea, we are looking into it and will be monitoring today and over the weekend to debug them. It seems to have a much higher success rate of completing than previously, so I think we are almost through the woods on these.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yea, we are looking into it and will be monitoring today and over the weekend to debug them. It seems to have a much higher success rate of completing than previously, so I think we are almost through the woods on these.

Yeah there seems to be breaks in the action like we go in and kill the mobs then mine the black ice then there's a pause before more mobs appear then another pause before more black ice appears then the giant appears but it is definitely finish-able it just takes some waiting around sometimes.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Yeah there seems to be breaks in the action like we go in and kill the mobs then mine the black ice then there's a pause before more mobs appear then another pause before more black ice appears then the giant appears but it is definitely finish-able it just takes some waiting around sometimes.

Just to add a note to The Mother Lode HE, it seems to bug in two circumstances.

1. If all the black ice nodes are mined before the giant arrives. If he does not make it up the hill and the nodes are totally mined he vanishes...I put this behavior to the giant having nothing to protect. HAHA I know he is not s'posed to do this.

2. This one is is hit or miss, happens sometimes, other times it does not but all the nodes are mined during the giant fight without reaching 100% on the black ice mining seems to make the nodes not spawn most of the time.

When I can get everyone there to stop mining once it announces the giant is on the way, and not mine until after the giant is dead, it seems to work with out a hitch.
  • criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    before latest patch i could solo barbarian groups for a daily to recover 10 Barbarian Axes. Logged in yesterday and i cant kill anymore a barbarian group, that bigger near the camp site.To bad They modified even the normal mobs on ice black addon. I'll try again and if i still cant do it that daily then i'll have to delete it everytime i get it from the npc.I dont have time to walk around and search for a small group with 1 barbarian and 3 wolves ,that mob is not even drop the axe. I mention that im guardian fighter with 12.1 k GS.Keep ruining the ice black addon and i'll stick with sharandar and dread ring when i have time to play.I do Icewind area for boons only i dont care about pvp gear, im not a fan of pvp .Quest items can be obtained from encounters too but how many players are doing small encounters nowadays.Everyone wants remorhaz.
    And do something about drops on smaller non epic encounter to balance drops with a rare chance for any black ice item,even remorhaz horn, now players wants to do only remorhaz and barbarian raiders epic encounters.

And whats wrong with the patcher ? it says : "Patching" and the game doesn't start anymore nor updating. it hangs on forever. Ive searched for a crypticerror.exe open process to kill it and i found one , 200kb , stopped the process but still nothing.. Is this game offline now ?

EDIT : i found a GameClient.exe process open even if i closed everything including ARC,killed that process and computer froze for a second or 2 with system sound error warning ,and now seems the patcher verify files. I can start the game now.
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • kisakeekisakee Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    criss11 wrote: »
    before latest patch i could solo barbarian groups for a daily to recover 10 Barbarian Axes. Logged in yesterday and i cant kill anymore a barbarian group, that bigger near the camp site.

Maybe at this time there were any event, so you attacked these hard-to-kill mobs alone? Second possibility: Somtimes there are special elite-versions of normal mobs, they will take a lot more before going down. You can recognize them easily, they got a golden frame around the lifebar instead a silver one.

Hope this is helpful.
    - greetings
    r9jtqurw.jpg

edited June 2014
    On the Marauding Barbaians (sp?) some spawn as an easy one and some spawn as a 'hard" version. At first we ask them to get rid of the "hard" version on preview, then we asked them to keep them. I am glad both versions have remained. Yes I can solo either on my toons, even bare min toon I made. It makes you think twice about just running and attacking blindly.

No on these you cannot tell the difference until you engage them.
    edited June 2014
    Cayapp,

Thanks Panderus I try.

I just wish the patches would hit preview earlier and wish there more people there. I can't always get people to log in there.
This discussion has been closed.