test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some Feat and CW dynamic Questions!

fgmfanhafgmfanha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Library
Hey guys,

I was wondering about some game mechanics in feat afecting some atacks or others, so my questions are:

-What atacks benefit from Focused Wizardry/Wizard's Wrath? for example, does Scorching Burst get afected by this buff? and Chill Strike when you put it on tab it is area of efect but does it get afected? When u do area of effect powers, like steal time for example, if you are against only 1 mob does this feat contributes with the buff?

-I read in another post that Critical Power, when you crit an area of effect grants you 25% AP, why is this value? shouldnt it be only 5% because of the 10 seconds cooldown or 5% for each mob affected by the crit before entering on cooldown?

-In order to Malevolent Surge to Stack you have to give the final blow right?

Sorry if some of this questions may sound a bit silly but i wanted to get really sure about this stuff so i wont spend 78k ad each time the feats dont work exactly as i expected!

I'm trying to build a bit of a diferent build from the usual cw's :) until now my build aint that bad for my gameplay type but after reading some posts and other builds im thinking in optimizing a bit more mine!

Thanks for the help guys!
Post edited by fgmfanha on

Comments

• brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2014
  • fgmfanhafgmfanha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    He didn't tested on MoF powers!

He just assumed they dont work.. They might have changed this "bug" after the damage mode change.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    fgmfanha wrote: »
    -I read in another post that Critical Power, when you crit an area of effect grants you 25% AP, why is this value? shouldnt it be only 5% because of the 10 seconds cooldown or 5% for each mob affected by the crit before entering on cooldown?

-In order to Malevolent Surge to Stack you have to give the final blow right?

Critical Power use to work that way, but it was fixed. It's 5% on all critical hits, 10 second cooldown. You can't get more than 5%.

And yes, you need to land the killing blow on Malevolent Surge.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited May 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Critical Power use to work that way, but it was fixed. It's 5% on all critical hits, 10 second cooldown. You can't get more than 5%.

So Critical Power doesnt worth anymore right? :/
  • nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    fgmfanha wrote: »
    So Critical Power doesnt worth anymore right? :/

Being less powerful than before don't make it automatically useless.
    5% AP every 10s is always good but these point can be more useful somewhere else. Except if it's for taking Nightmare Wizardry.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nathyiel wrote: »
    Being less powerful than before don't make it automatically useless.
    5% AP every 10s is always good but these point can be more useful somewhere else. Except if it's for taking Nightmare Wizardry.

In IWD Critical Power has proven very usefull. Pre IWD everything died before it kicked in.
    edited May 2014
    I'm thinking about doing a feat respect on my MoF CW.

My kind of gameplay is a bit of a "suicidal" CW, i.e. im a CW that is in the middle of the action or very close to it.

On PVP i usually use Ray of Enfeeblement - Chill Strike - Entangling Force -Fanning the Flame as Encounters and Magic Missile and Scorching Burst as At-Wills

On PVE i use Chill Strike - Shard of the Endless Avalanche - Steal Time - Fanning the Flame and the same at-wills. (on boss fights i adapt)

The thing is... i'm unsure of what feats to use.. i have 5 feat points that i dont know where to put so i get an optimized build. I'm unsure between Critical Power, Tempest Magic and Malevolent Surge!

The other 46 points im thinking of spending this way:
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,13n10m1:150000:100000:15u551&h=0&p=mof

Wish u guys gave some feedback!
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well honestly if you like to be in the thick of things the Spellstorm is better for that.

Spellstorm tends to be a short range build that utilizes techniques that require short range bursting.

With Spellstorm you utilize Steal Time and Sudden Storm (which requires being up close and personal). Steal Time kicks in your Eye of the Storm and freezes the mobs just briefly enough in a tight pattern to be able to utilize a Sudden Storm Strike. Then you can finish with Shards. This takes some skill to do but that's how you run a Spellstorm.

Then you can capitalize on those other feats you're thinking of.

But that's a burst nuker, not a DoT build.

Generally a MoF build is better at longer ranges as its primary powers are able to be utilized there. Its not quite the up close and personal teleport in and Thunder/Lightning strike your targets then teleport out style the way the Spellstorm is. Both can use cold powers, but the Spellstorm is the "I do my damage at near melee range" CW. Granted you can still do it with an MoF, but its not quite the same.
    edited May 2014
    What I'm really trying to give you here is the feel for these Paragon Paths.

Because they're actually very different.

I know a Master of Flame SOUNDS like it should be the big explosion guy... But he's not, he's the slow burn building up to a crescendo... ie the slow burn building up to the big explosion.

The Spellstorm is just what the name SOUNDS like. It's literally a Spell STORM. He jumps in, unleashes a torrent of spells like lightning, and then teleports back out.

So when you think of the two Paragon paths, those are the terms you should think of when you need to understand the mentality it takes to play them correctly. These are the ACTUAL strengths of the two paragon paths and how they differ in base powers.
    edited May 2014
    I know Spellsorm is a very good paragon! But i still love beeing an MoF.

I thought about changing paragoons a couple of time because MoF have some stuff i think its a bit "broken". In the end i allways want to stick with the MoF paragoon.
    Spellsorm mages have bigger burst, MoF have More Dot..

MoF have Critical Conflagration that gives a base 90% crit. sev. and give smolder to the targets crited. Love the smolder it makes me constantly be on Rampaging madness!
    And then a lot of spellsorm mages dont use the spellstorm powers, they use more often the "basic" powers both paragoons have!

Correct me if i said something wrong!
    edited May 2014
    No, its not a problem at all if that's what you like,

But the MoF is not really suited for everyone. This one takes a lot more patience to give everything time to burn. Its not an instant path and not even something that's all that exciting on the front lines.

One of the reasons I like that path these days is because its more casual. Its powers lend itself to a more layed back kind of style.

Yes I know some people do not use Spellstorm for what it really is. I would wish they would, because its true power is not the layed back kind. Its the in the thick of things front line caster class. That's how you take advantage of its true strengths.

Both paths can pursue the Cold powers route. But what truly sets them apart and gives each their own unique flavor is the things I talked about.