test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[IWD] Invisible Beholder 1-shotting you

wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
Hi folks,

I've been playing the IWD expansion quite extensively now and often encountered an issue that really needs to be addressed.

I'm talking about invisible mobs, a bug most likely caused by too many models on the screen. While in your average epic HE (Remorhaz, Raid, you name it) this might be just a bit irritating it becomes a real big issue with the Beholder encounter in DV.
Why? The Beholder has several AoE attacks that will one-shot you even through unstoppable. While this in general is a challenge that I really embrace kindly refer to what I wrote in the lines above. Invisible mobs. Now in my last three Beholder fights it wasn't only some adds that turned invisible but the beholder and it's AoE indicators as well. So I found myself 1-shotted frequently without the slightest chance to avoid it. In my books, that's not a "challenging and l2p" aspect but a bug that needs to be looked at.

Some other guildies were experiencing the same thing so I think it might not be just on my end. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Any workarounds or the likes?

Edit: While I'm at it - the lag/rubberbanding feels like the good ol' first CTAs.

Cheers
Post edited by wixxgs1cht on

Comments

• Options
    helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Having the same issues as well, where mobs are invisible unless the character gets close to them, and also sudden huge burst damage when the boss reappears after burrowing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There doesn't seem to be any work around for the mobs going invisible , don't the red circles even appear on the ground or are they invisible too? I only got onto Dwarf valley today but played in there a lot during testing but due to small number of players never saw this issue till it went live , if red aoe splats are invisible too black ice beholder is going to be a ballache xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I had a similar experience aswell, in combat log it appeared "unknown entity one-shots you"
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    In old NWN Classic invisible mobs were fixed by relogging. It's rather a boring solution that can cause some panic amoungst party members especially in the middle of a fight, but it worked then.

Also, check graphics settings. I know here there's a render graphics button and such on the Options you can try adjusting. Might just be you don't see the beholder because it's too far away for current settings?

If I'm totally unhelpful with this maybe it provided at least some possibilities to eliminate so you can get down to the real issue behind it?

Good luck.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any work around for the mobs going invisible , don't the red circles even appear on the ground or are they invisible too? I only got onto Dwarf valley today but played in there a lot during testing but due to small number of players never saw this issue till it went live , if red aoe splats are invisible too black ice beholder is going to be a ballache xD

The Beholder's could be invisible at times (huge Black Ice damage AoE i think), especially when it pops up after hiding at a certain point of HP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    don't the red circles even appear on the ground or are they invisible too

They indeed are invisible as well.
    Might just be you don't see the beholder because it's too far away for current settings?

I suspect it's just me that can't see the beholder in that very moment. However I'm sure that it'll become invisible to other players as well, maybe not in the exact same moment tho.

Just one minute ago:

"[17:50] an unknown entity deals 38702 (68656) Psychic Damage to you with Ice Armor." Neither AoE nor Beholder visible for the entire fight for me.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wonder what causes this because we never had any problems on preview.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    My guess would be that the servers are massively overwhelmed.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It did happen on preview. The encounter for below was Prospector Attack in IWP.

The devs know about this. During the play with the devs, the dev there in IWP commented on it in twitch tv, during the one and only encounter this happened in. He commented oh no, "something" (referring to the warping/fading/invis or whatever you want to call it) is starting, we have too many players around the encounter. Nothing else was ever said. It was the only time we pretty much had the instance almost full on preview.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Great. So they know about it but don't plan to do anything about it? That's cool, cause I mean, why bring more than 5 guys to one of those HEs? L2P! Blame the players.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, don't get me started on the lag part. Even if you see the beholder every once in a while and "mighty leap" out of the red you'll end up in the red again as in KIA. Oh, and why is CN the biggest lag fest around lately?
    Something really has to be done about all this. I'm getting to a point where I'd label NW as currently not playable.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Same bug is happening in GG. You can't see half the players until they are on you. I won't comment on the lag making it harder.

Is it since module 3 this has started? I used to do GG at least once or twice a day and never suffered this but haven't done GG since after module 3.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    I wonder what causes this because we never had any problems on preview.

Actually I think I know what it is,

Remember just recently in the patch they advised they did some things to improve graphics with a lot of people on the screen at once?

I suspect whats happening is the game is only displaying a certain number of models on screen at once. So when you get like 20 people in one of these encounters now, it only makes the closest models to the character appear. SO you literally have to be on top of the mobs before you can see them IF there's a ton of people doing it.

If you think about it, what you said to me in another thread was true.

When we were doing these things over on Preview there was maybe 5 of us Max doing these 6-10 man encounters. So we never could have seen what happened with that many on these.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    If you think about it the most we ever had when doing the Black Ice Beholder was 8.

I don't think there were enough of us on to even put 20+ people on one of these encounters previously.
  • Options
    justsyndrajustsyndra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's some kind of load issue, the same 'invisible unless really close' thing was happening during the very first Call To Arms last year - then they optimized something and it hasn't been an issue until now.
    No longer playing Neverwinter.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    One other option is that graphics were reset to default and one of the defaults was that objects in the distance were fuzzy, less visible. I have reset my reset to clear at all distances.
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'll give this a try next time I log on.
  • Options
    gromm1tgromm1t Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Remember just recently in the patch they advised they did some things to improve graphics with a lot of people on the screen at once?

I suspect whats happening is the game is only displaying a certain number of models on screen at once. So when you get like 20 people in one of these encounters now, it only makes the closest models to the character appear. SO you literally have to be on top of the mobs before you can see them IF there's a ton of people doing it.

When we were doing these things over on Preview there was maybe 5 of us Max doing these 6-10 man encounters. So we never could have seen what happened with that many on these.

I agree with this and second on Preview there was specific "patch" and after that patch Beholder/Epic/Major encounter bosses/mobs started "blinking/fading".

Before that patch it was "easy" kite around Beholder and keep Aoe away from team, but now on Live its impossible, also HE´s are now really too easy, but its fun to look look Beholder fall on few minutes when on Preview it took allmost full time and sometimes even failed, ;).

I hope to see that population per instance will lower so HE´s need more teamwork and game became more fun again.
  • Options
    mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I don't think so. If you ever played castle never, there areas with 100+ mobs around and no lag at all. I think all this is connected with rendering snow terrain - remember they had same issues with winter event and never ever fixed them, just event ended.
    Also Areas of IWD without snow are much more responsive and you can actually play there.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

If this is true then I have no problem with them making other players invisible ( although that is a major annoyance for DC's I imagine when they are trying to heal ) but enemy mobs , especially ones that can 1 hit just about any player in the game should most certainly not become invisible.
  • Options
    nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think they have done it to reduce CPU's work. But yes, it's really annoying as it require to be in the red zone to be able to see the boss.

How can it be improved ?
    + make some character always visible :
    > Elite and Boss enemy
    > Player from our group

+ make a priority in what to not display (from lesser important to most important to be seen) :
    > player from same faction, other guild and not PvP flagged
    > player from other faction, other guild and not PvP flagged
    > player from same faction, other guild and PvP flagged
    > player from other faction, other guild and PvP flagged
    > player from same guild
    > enemy of lower type (minion)

Like this, personage that are important to be seen are always visible and enemy are only hidden in the worst case.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    mmm1001 wrote: »
    If you ever played castle never, there areas with 100+ mobs around and no lag at all.

Did you run CN since M3 launch? Especially today/yesterday?

Edit: To avoid misunderstanding: My reply is only referring to lag, not invisibility of mobs.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Tried a CN today, initially it was really lag when mass mobbing, but for some reason re-logging solves the problem for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    gromm1t wrote: »
    I agree with this and second on Preview there was specific "patch" and after that patch Beholder/Epic/Major encounter bosses/mobs started "blinking/fading".

Before that patch it was "easy" kite around Beholder and keep Aoe away from team, but now on Live its impossible, also HE´s are now really too easy, but its fun to look look Beholder fall on few minutes when on Preview it took allmost full time and sometimes even failed, ;).

I hope to see that population per instance will lower so HE´s need more teamwork and game became more fun again.

Honestly I do too,

I think all they really need to do for that is to increase the spawn rate of the Major and Epic HEs and that will take care of it.

What you have right now is people running from instance to instance JUST to run HEs, so you end up with people piling on all these when theyr'e only designed for half the numbers of people they are.

Increased spawn rate in ALL the instances would keep this from happening as there's no way players would be able to saturate one specific instance when all of the Instances have them spawning.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Or have them spawn on all instances at the same time. Players should then evenly distribute or at least I could imagine so.

(Also thanks for moving this thread to the appropriate section, dear Mods.)
  • Options
    purp4purp4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Same problem here, I have all my graphics settings set to max rendering and can't see "Big" battles unless I stand on top of the mob (not a good idea for a squishey). The tanks (for example) are there fighting it, so its not invisible to everyone just people more than 1 step away from it.

Many times we have had to kill XX/XX and are all running around in circles looking for the last few to kill as they are invisible to us. In this example there is not too many of us there as its a lower tier encounter. So it's not necessarily the fact that there is too many people around as this was only a small encounter with a few of us there, unlike the bigger encounters where everyone in zone shows up for.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Same problem for me. Especially the remorhaz battle is a pain as the boss disappears, but it happens also in Dwarven valley when you have to protect the spirits.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This Phasing is ridiculous.

1 Step to the right I see peeps and mobs. Step back to the left and they disappear. Step back to the right they appear again. Step left again and they disappear. Rinse and repeat!!! As much fun as general adventuring!!!

It is game breaking when "prospector is injured" and you can not find him.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)