test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF Support/Tank Build in mod3: is it worthy?

edelweiss90edelweiss90 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Is it worthy to roll an Iron Maiden GF build for PVE with mod 3?

Looking forward to see your answers :D
Post edited by edelweiss90 on

Comments

• burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    maybe for low gs parties
    Paladin Master Race
  • edelweiss90edelweiss90 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    maybe for low gs parties

What about endgame dungeons and the new content of mod3? I read tanking is needed because of the ineffectiveness of CC in the new campaign
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    probably 2gwf+3cw/2cw+dc zerg like everything else i dont believe they can make smth that need actual strategy and party comp
    Paladin Master Race
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What about endgame dungeons and the new content of mod3? I read tanking is needed because of the ineffectiveness of CC in the new campaign

The fact is that even though new content has powerful CC-immune mobs that have to be properly tanked a high-end properly geared and properly specced GWF can do it probably better than high end properly geared and properly specced GF. HP pools are not that different and whereas that scales pretty well with Unstoppable, it does not scale at all with Block. Defense and Deflection do not seem to affect Block either.

They did partially fix that GFvsCW dilemma in module 3 (old content still has this issue, though), however they did not fix the GWFvsGF one.

It was a step in the right direction, however some innate flaws in class balance are still there.

Perhaps what a GF needs is a way to scale up Guard Block meter with HP pool/defense/deflection.

(The fact that certain abilities like Wing Buffet cannot be blocked does not help either; I can't even tell if it's a bug or intended, all I know is that it wasn't like that at release).
    edited May 2014
    klangeddin wrote: »
    The fact is that even though new content has powerful CC-immune mobs that have to be properly tanked a high-end properly geared and properly specced GWF can do it probably better than high end properly geared and properly specced GF. HP pools are not that different and whereas that scales pretty well with Unstoppable, it does not scale at all with Block. Defense and Deflection do not seem to affect Block either.

They did partially fix that GFvsCW dilemma in module 3 (old content still has this issue, though), however they did not fix the GWFvsGF one.

It was a step in the right direction, however some innate flaws in class balance are still there.

Perhaps what a GF needs is a way to scale up Guard Block meter with HP pool/defense/deflection.

(The fact that certain abilities like Wing Buffet cannot be blocked does not help either; I can't even tell if it's a bug or intended, all I know is that it wasn't like that at release).

I know that but GF has utilities that the GWF doesn't has like KV and KC... So I thought I was going anyway to have a role in PVE since the GWF can tank well, but it doesn't make the rest of the work easier for teammates while GF does.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :D
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I know that but GF has utilities that the GWF doesn't has like KV and KC... So I thought I was going anyway to have a role in PVE since the GWF can tank well, but it doesn't make the rest of the work easier for teammates while GF does.

That depends on the type of the encounter, Knight's Valor and Knight's Challenge reduce the amount of damage your team-mates receive but misuse them and they will get you killed. Knight's Challenge is particularly dangerous if you are facing a monster with homing attacks/charges (and there's lots in mod 3) while your guard is broken.
    I wouldn't use it against the Big Ice Giant of the Motherlode, for example.

Knight's Valor seems to be useful against continuously spawning small adds in large rooms/area like in Lair of the Mad Dragon, however, it's not a necessity in most PvE content and I think that there are better options.

It depends on what you want to do: if you want to focus on tanking or supporting, if you want a hybrid thing I would suggest Tactician/Swordmaster with Into the Fray and Steel Defense always slotted, but I don't think it's an optimal spec for tanking in most situations.

But while it's true that the GF has this tanking/support hybrid option and the GWF does not, I do not think that the design of the PvE content (mod 3 included, for what I've seen so far, it could change in Kessel's Retreat and a few heroic encounters in Dwarven Valley) really encourages this play style or rewards it particularly.

If I have to put it bluntly:

TANK A: Less durability, less damage and some support (Same aggro)
    TANK B: more durability, more damage, but no support (Same aggro)

TANK B>= TANK A in terms of pure performance imho.

Of course if you enjoy playing TANK A, then by all means play TANK A, pure performance should never be a hindrance to your enjoyment of the game. I say that the only thing that should be min-maxed in a game is fun. =D

However, I'm also of the opinion that this should not be an alibi for developers to overlook eventual unbalances.

Hope I made myself clear.

Edit: Also keep in mind that sometimes in Heroic Encounters you CANNOT group up with others because of opposing factions. That puts a dent in the GF viability as a supporter in this type of content
  • tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Personally I find Knight's Valor quite useless in most cases, because when I am tanking I already have the attention of most of the mobs, which render KV rather pointless.

KC is a dangerous skill to use, and one that I stay away from in PvE.

However, I definitely think that GF is very useful in PvE. A good GF can absorb much more damage than GWF, especially huge spike damage, and can keep aggro much better.
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yea but who's going to want a gimped tank specced with some buffs, when they could grab another PowerHouse GWF /CW?

WHo needs buffs when you can just destroy everything fast!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • vristvrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    Easiest fix would to simply beef the GFs HP pool and returns, and beef boss and mini boss damage output. GWF are suppose to be support dps, and off tanks. Nerfing them isnt goin to fix anything, especially for lower GS dungeon runs.

But really, the real issue is the bosses, and mini bosses. When you see clerics tanking them, then you know precisely where ths problem is.
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Imagine if diminishing returns of defense and power was switched. Imagine all the power diminishing to nothing after 5k. Imagine defense having no cap. Imagine the amount of defense GFs could stack. We could have like 110% damage resistance. Can you see it now? Can you see those permastealth TRs not even penetrating our armour? IMMUNE IMMUNE IMMUNE!

That's my fantasy. It doesn't seem like devs listen to those anyway so I gave up making sense long time ago.
  • vristvrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    Well if NW had done what 99.9% of games developed since the dawn of MMOs and broke the defenses down into categories, that permastelthed tr would need to brink more to the table to penetrate the defenses.
  • swejuggaloswejuggalo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yea but who's going to want a gimped tank specced with some buffs, when they could grab another PowerHouse GWF /CW?

WHo needs buffs when you can just destroy everything fast!

I play as GF (my main) because I like it. I'm currently 17.1k Protector (Iron Vanguard, pure tank build). I've never seen a GWF tank the way I tank. They don't want to? They can't? They just don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about the rest of their party barly stay alive since adds hit our more fragile persons like CW, HR and DC? They just want to trash everyone else on the DPS scoreboard? People prefer to die a few times, as long as the DG finish quickly? (It's actually insane that GWF can out DPS everything and at the same time be more or less immortal, high defence and high deflect with crapload of lifesteal and regen, and on top of that their immunity power)
    Regardless of what I think of how insanely OP and completly without weaknesses some GWF are (... well, like some people can build their GWF, some still suck though! ;-) ) my DC and CW has a much better time in a DG with a decent GF compared to a "super" GWF...So "destroy something fast"? Well... can your fragile DPS persons survive the hits a GF would have saved them from?

Personally, I refuse to play as GWF. Super-builds of GWF has no place in this game.... they have ALL the places - there can be 5 GWF parties and that actually works?! ... Enough whining... back to game...
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    During the last weeks of the beta and the first months after launch, GWFs were considered completely useless trash.

What it boils down to in the end is this, I want to play what I enjoy (GF) and not run after whatever fad of the month is the most OP that month. I am invested in my GF because it was my first character and is my main character. And it's not just time invested but also emotional investment.

And eventually, our time in the spotlight might come again, like it did for GWFs. We just have to stick to it until then. If no one plays GF anymore, then the devs also won't consider it worth their time to put developer ressources into improving the GF. (Though on the flip side, if the numbers don't drop, they might not realize there is a problem - it's not an easy situation).

Play what you enjoy and not what the zone chat lfg rox0r kiddies want you to play.
  • damanhur89damanhur89 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    During the last weeks of the beta and the first months after launch, GWFs were considered completely useless trash.

What it boils down to in the end is this, I want to play what I enjoy (GF) and not run after whatever fad of the month is the most OP that month. I am invested in my GF because it was my first character and is my main character. And it's not just time invested but also emotional investment.

And eventually, our time in the spotlight might come again, like it did for GWFs. We just have to stick to it until then. If no one plays GF anymore, then the devs also won't consider it worth their time to put developer ressources into improving the GF. (Though on the flip side, if the numbers don't drop, they might not realize there is a problem - it's not an easy situation).

Play what you enjoy and not what the zone chat lfg rox0r kiddies want you to play.

Wise words, listen to this player ;D
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    damanhur89 wrote: »
    Wise words, listen to this player ;D

..but avoid grouping with him, in harder content?
  • damanhur89damanhur89 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Sorry, I do not get what you mean in your question, could you explain yourself a bit more? thank you
    edited May 2014
    swejuggalo wrote: »
    I play as GF (my main) because I like it. I'm currently 17.1k Protector (Iron Vanguard, pure tank build). I've never seen a GWF tank the way I tank. They don't want to? They can't? They just don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about the rest of their party barly stay alive since adds hit our more fragile persons like CW, HR and DC? They just want to trash everyone else on the DPS scoreboard? People prefer to die a few times, as long as the DG finish quickly? (It's actually insane that GWF can out DPS everything and at the same time be more or less immortal, high defence and high deflect with crapload of lifesteal and regen, and on top of that their immunity power)
    Regardless of what I think of how insanely OP and completly without weaknesses some GWF are (... well, like some people can build their GWF, some still suck though! ;-) ) my DC and CW has a much better time in a DG with a decent GF compared to a "super" GWF...So "destroy something fast"? Well... can your fragile DPS persons survive the hits a GF would have saved them from?

Personally, I refuse to play as GWF. Super-builds of GWF has no place in this game.... they have ALL the places - there can be 5 GWF parties and that actually works?! ... Enough whining... back to game...

I completely agree with you. The problem is that I already have a DPS GF for PVPing but it is completely useless in dungeons. Since I need to farm to get AD to improve my equipment and since I don't want to let the GF class down I was asking if it was effective or not in PVE. One to farm and one to enjoy the game, is it wrong?

Anyway, we're going a bit OT. It's not a whining thread, what I need is the help of those who play PVE tank GF who could share their ideas about that kind of build and its effectiveness.

Another thing I wanted to ask is whether SoS still procs two times the immunite passive of the swordsmaster