test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sparkle Path of Doom

imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Foundry
Could we please get something done about the sparkly path wandering off straight through details that block the player, but don't block the sparkly path?
A large number of the less-than-stellar reviews I get on my featured quest are complaining about the sparkly path being "broken" or "buggy", and blaming me for it. It's really annoying, because I have no control over the damned thing unless I wall the entire thing in with invisible walls, which I do not have the detail budget to do.

Also, some details that the path SHOULD be able to go through block the path. I used an arch in mine that the path refuses to go through under any circumstances. I ended up testing it by walling it off with invis walls, and the trail would rather go 1000 feet out of its way to get around the invis walls than to go through the arch that I wanted the player to go through.

Those players complaining about the sparkly trail being buggy? They're right. But I'm tired of being blamed for it.

-- @Gruffydd
Post edited by imaginaerum1 on

Comments

• apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Snipped~
    It's really annoying, because I have no control over the damned thing unless I wall the entire thing in with invisible walls, which I do not have the detail budget to do.

-- @Gruffydd

This does not work either, the only thing you can do when faced with the sparkly fairy trail of "hold my hand through every mission" is to remove it from those map's quest nodes entirely. go to each node in the story and instead of having Area or Point, select None in the drop down. I hope that helps for the future but too late for the featured as we can't edit it. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    IF I have the sparkly trail for any kind of directions, I put in waypoint quest objectives to force it to lead where I want.

You could do something similar with your arch -- have an objective to "go through the arch of the heroes" and then have a waypoint right at the entrance to the arch and continue the quest object sparkly trail following afterwards.

I've been "dinged" many times by players for having a "search area waypoint" where the sparkly trail disappears when you reach the area. *facepalm* -- and for a "search and find" quest! I'm going to start adding OOC "warnings" for all those sparkly-trail-addicts.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Snipped~

This does not work either, the only thing you can do when faced with the sparkly fairy trail of "hold my hand through every mission" is to remove it from those map's quest nodes entirely. go to each node in the story and instead of having Area or Point, select None in the drop down. I hope that helps for the future but too late for the featured as we can't edit it. :P

That's exactly what I'm doing on my current one. People will still complain, but at least they'll be complaining about something I actually did (taking out the path) than something I didn't do (putting in a buggy path).
  • klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah. I got my 1st and only 1star review because of this stupid <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

All I want is the jewel that shows where the objective is without the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sparkly path leading the player there.

There really should be an option for the author to remove sparkly path while still keeping the jewel which pinpoint location of the objective
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I heard a rumor once upon a time that you could "bury" a contact NPC (named whatever "pinpoint-location" you want shown) just below the terrain (terrain -5?). You apparently do so by placing an invisible wall or platform that they could spawn onto and then just the "contact" diamond would show up. It would also show on the mini-map if they were within "range" of it.

Haven't tried it myself though.
  • klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    I heard a rumor once upon a time that you could "bury" a contact NPC (named whatever "pinpoint-location" you want shown) just below the terrain (terrain -5?). You apparently do so by placing an invisible wall or platform that they could spawn onto and then just the "contact" diamond would show up. It would also show on the mini-map if they were within "range" of it.

Haven't tried it myself though.

I haven't tried that specifically but when I first started out (before I realised there is a 3d editor), I placed some objectives in the "top floor" of the 2-storey indoor dungeon boss room using the 2d editor without adjusting the Y-axis placement.

The objective ended up being in the ground. It was probably more negative than -5 but apart from the lack of placing an invisible floor for the objective to stand on, it should conceptually be same as the idea you suggested.

The result back then was that the sparkly path led to a deadend because it still showed the shortest straight path to the objective. So, the sparkly path was still there.

Thanks for the suggestion though=)