test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HR in mod 3.

squirtlejigglysquirtlejiggly Member Posts: 68
edited May 2014 in The Wilds
How is the HR in mod 3?

I'm thinking of starting one, will it be worth my time?
Post edited by squirtlejiggly on

Comments

• Options
    quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    weaker but adequate, I wouldn't touch the new path though.
  • Options
    squirtlejigglysquirtlejiggly Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2014
    With Mod 3 already live, should i be leveling a new HR?

I need as many opinions as I can get, because if i were to level a HR, i will splash all my AD on it.

Should I or Should I not? :)
  • Options
    charmagmacharmagma Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's been out for mere hours, nobody will know the extent of the nerf for several days minimum.
  • Options
    lievcocijolievcocijo Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    there SHOULD be a patch log somewhere, thats what im looking for now

also, people are saying theres no retraining while other classes had theirs on previous modules, is this serious?
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    lievcocijo wrote: »
    there SHOULD be a patch log somewhere, thats what im looking for now

also, people are saying theres no retraining while other classes had theirs on previous modules, is this serious?

Patch Notes:

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5003683-release-notes%3A-05%2F13%2F14

And no free respec. You read that correctly.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    kargoolkargool Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It have completely messed up my ranger as split shot was the only real good ability I had plus I specced my character to that, as I only play one character in this game, I might aswell just quit playing all together.
  • Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, not sure if the mobs in the new zone are that much tougher, or if the DPS of my HR has gone down, but I'm getting pulverized.
    After multple deaths against regular game content, I believe I'm done. The HR is officially cooked.
  • Options
    grimslawgrimslaw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2014
    Well, not sure if the mobs in the new zone are that much tougher, or if the DPS of my HR has gone down, but I'm getting pulverized.
    After multple deaths against regular game content, I believe I'm done. The HR is officially cooked.
    From what I have read on the preview server , mod 3 content is a lot more challenging . so, I wouldn't go totally doom and gloom as of yet.
  • Options
    w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Me too, but the mobs ARE a lot tougher. And they seem to be closer together than in other areas, I'm having to carefully look where to dodge so as not to aggro nearby enemies. And killing them takes a long time and meanwhile some other player will come and harvest the ice node for which I was fighting.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    At this point, I feel like I did after leveling up and trying to learn how to use melee stance effectively in PVP.

Without splitshot being reliable good damage, the class is going to play a whole lot different.

I think there may be a way to get it to work, but I think it's going to be more single target oriented and figuring out a way to get aimed shot to be more viable more often.

As for the new paragon, I really don't know. I'm testing stuff out preview in anticipation of my respec from the promotion for buying more zen (yes I forked over some cash), and basically the main thing it has going for it is it's not stormwarden.

Seriously looking at the abilities in stormwarden now that stormstep action is nerfed by at least 50%, and it's like, wow, they're all bad.

I can't think of another paragon in the game that has a set of almost completely worthless powers (split the sky is eh in PVE, but compared to eye of the storm, frontline surge, Impossible to Catch/Shocking Execution... it's really bad if it's to be the star of the paragon). Normally there's at least 1 outstanding one.

So if I can make at least one of the powers from pathfinder be useful, then it's well worth picking over stormwarden, imo.

The nerf to splitshot is really tough. They built the whole class to be dependent on it by making our damage from abilities so low (compared to every other class- GFs hit harder with their abilities. Hell at this point I think a dps DC might hit harder). It was somewhat compensated by stormstep action meaning you could use them very often.

Now we don't have that either.

Things look bleak imo but then again if I just play HR like I usually play I can take out most people 1v1. But those people probably really suck like most new people to pvp and I'm pretty experienced dealing with all the classes, so I'm not sure it says all that much.

What strikes me most is how a CW can come by and clear a set of mobs twice as fast as me now. I used to be able to compete with spamming splitshot. Now I can't. Not when their abilites are critting for 20k on each target and mine aren't even AOE, let alone rarely hitting the 5k mark.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    ciziinciziin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    totally ruined the HR ... What the **** are these developers thinking?
  • Options
    marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What strikes me most is how a CW can come by and clear a set of mobs twice as fast as me now. I used to be able to compete with spamming splitshot. Now I can't. Not when their abilites are critting for 20k on each target and mine aren't even AOE, let alone rarely hitting the 5k mark.

We cant tank as well as gf gwf, we cant cc or aoe dam as well as cws and we sure cant heal or protect as good as dcs.

What we do have that no other class have is the ablity to take many roles and use different set up being alot more diversified for different occations.

If you play any class to become max efficient when it comes to run dungens the fastest possible way ranger isent one of then (on the other hand gf gwf dc tr isent either *blink).
    If you want to be a first pick in LFG channel HR's isent the class to play unless you exel in such a way you become a legend among other players.

If you like the way you get a bit of a challange and they way you can multitask when playing HR i think focusing on what makes you have fun playing HR is better then comparing to other classes.

Classes in games comes and goes and all have their place in the sun before some changes that makes another class step up.
    In this game right now the dungeons are filled with gazillions of adds and have bosses that summons them like cowdung seem to summon flies a warm summerday. THis makes cw with both good cc and aoe dam (that dont have a 5 target cap) the best class for the job and gwf who can stand in their mist doing best aoe dam from a meele perspective the best companion to the cws.

Now if they just change the way the dungeons work and the boss mechanics suddenly some other class will emerge and become the most wanted and most effective class to handle the new situation.

What am trying to say is that HR offers a diversity that other classes just dont have atm and any comparison to Cws (actually by any class) abilitys to deliver dam or control mobs are going to fall short.
    I love having the ablity to switch between Bow/Sword and the ability to change in mid fight to more dps or support depending on the situation. No other class can do that as well as a HR imho.

That being said constructive feedback that would improve bad skills/enc/powers is something very good (like the post about Cold steel Hurricane whish is a joke of a daily).

Best
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dove into IWD and my HR can handle the lower end heroics solo. It is a rough fight but doable. Basically as long as they are not calling for a minimum three I can drop them. My real dissapointment is in the gear. Which appears to be worse than my existing setup. Granted I do not know what the overload slots will do in a real fight. But it had better be phenomenal if I am going to be wearing gear with no AP at all, and weapons with less power and lower base damage than my Fallens. I'll likely experiment with the purified weapon set in a month or two when I have a high enough crafting skill.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ciziin wrote: »

I don't notice a huge difference other than a few rare weak trash mobs taking more than 2 split shots to bring down. Can still 1 shot em on a crit.
  • Options
    xaansteelxaansteel Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is actually working out pretty well for me. I'm a melee ranger and the following combination seems to be good: Rain of arrows +split the sky the area that you're standing when monsters are surrounding you, pretty much next to your tank, and join them in the fray. While the lightning and arrows are raining down, use the newly buffed clear the ground and fox shift with twin blade storm and blade storm. Of course you do have to be sort of tanky so you should have the 10% melee deflect feat and a good deal of gear score deflect and defense so you can hold your ground and maintain the "kill zone". This is really good because rain of arrows is obviously the most damaging power and it's best when your enemies are in one area. The best way to do that is of course to be right in that area with them attacking your tank.

I mean we're still not CWs or GWFs or anything, but I think your average group would be far more receptive to non-nature rangers if they used this strategy.

PVP is great as usual :)
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    All I can say is in pvp HR's seem to be able to continuously heal themselves making them almost impossible to kill.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    doktorelmodoktorelmo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No chance for HR´s now finding groups for greed runs, even TR´s are now more prefered than HR´s.

And i understand it, DPS is really lower now...
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    All I can say is in pvp HR's seem to be able to continuously heal themselves making them almost impossible to kill.

Oakskin is buffed (that's a heal over time, but we have to use binding arrow with it which isn't that great, meaning we're down 1 offensive ability if we use it). Other than that, HRs are the same as far as healing. We tend to stack regeneration and deflect, and our profound set bonus gives us a small heal every time we deflect.

There was a short video out of an HR healing through a GWF's damage. That obviously was a sentinal GWF without the new IBS which is critting for tons now.

I really want to be able to just go with aimed shot and the new at-will, but charged split shot was such an important part of my PVP damage. The fact that you can start charging it and hold it until someone is finished dodging is great too.

As for PVE, basically we weren't wanted before and we're only worse off now.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oakskin is buffed (that's a heal over time, but we have to use binding arrow with it which isn't that great, meaning we're down 1 offensive ability if we use it). Other than that, HRs are the same as far as healing. We tend to stack regeneration and deflect, and our profound set bonus gives us a small heal every time we deflect.

There was a short video out of an HR healing through a GWF's damage. That obviously was a sentinal GWF without the new IBS which is critting for tons now.

I really want to be able to just go with aimed shot and the new at-will, but charged split shot was such an important part of my PVP damage. The fact that you can start charging it and hold it until someone is finished dodging is great too.

As for PVE, basically we weren't wanted before and we're only worse off now.

I mean i am playing this game now for like 2 weeks and i am currently at 12,5k GS but while it was possible pre-patch finding random groups with a big "meeh, okay we´ll take you with us" it´s now "bäh stay away pls". I dont understand why the dev´s are doing this, they knew that we were already not wanted in PVE groups. If i had known this before starting this game, i would´ve played a GWF, as i am pretty much a PVE´er. As i said, we are now the least prefered class in PVE i think (while still probably well doing in PVP).
  • Options
    mehpvpmehmehpvpmeh Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    ciziin wrote: »

I know right?! 40k Aimed Shots?! I'm re-rolling GF, they are wayyy OP after all the changes!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    mehpvpmeh wrote: »
    I know right?! 40k Aimed Shots?! I'm re-rolling GF, they are wayyy OP after all the changes!

Do u even play him? It´s the only strong ability we have, and we are supposed to do DMG, GF is not.
    It´s just unfair buffing the GWF and not taking away the power of the CW, but nerfing us really hard when we were not op pre-patch
  • Options
    xalabixalabi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Split shot was our most powerful ability, and still is our most powerful ability. Ignore the nerf and keep spamming it, your damage will still be up there around that of CWs.
    HR are the worst class to deal with the new contents. The new contents includes really highly damaging mobs, and HRs have a hard time surviving. Kiting melee mobs with aid from root skills can sort-of work, but ranged mob are entirely unavoidable and will kill us pretty fast. It may be wise to do your best to avoid agroing them, and let an ally take the heat instead, though it's sometimes impossible as heroic encounters spawn them right on top of you...
    I would suggest to the OP to go for a different class, at the current state of affairs HRs are at a disadvatage. I'd suggest going for a CW or GWF instead.
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    xaansteel wrote: »
    This is actually working out pretty well for me. I'm a melee ranger and the following combination seems to be good: Rain of arrows +split the sky the area that you're standing when monsters are surrounding you, pretty much next to your tank, and join them in the fray. While the lightning and arrows are raining down, use the newly buffed clear the ground and fox shift with twin blade storm and blade storm. Of course you do have to be sort of tanky so you should have the 10% melee deflect feat and a good deal of gear score deflect and defense so you can hold your ground and maintain the "kill zone". This is really good because rain of arrows is obviously the most damaging power and it's best when your enemies are in one area. The best way to do that is of course to be right in that area with them attacking your tank.

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly check out "clear the ground".

Even before the split-shot nerf, I found that to maximize damage in pve, it is necessary to do both ranged and melee. After the split-shot nerf, melee is now even more important.

I can solo some low-medium level mobs in Icewind Dale on my 15k HR. with a few important "tricks" such as:

Get a frost weapon enchantment. I have a normal frost enchantment on my DC and HR. Mobs wont hit you when frost procs. Get plenty of lifesteal. Lifesteal heals well if you can maintain high damage output.

First, I draw the mob towards me with split shot. Then, use fox cunning. next is rain of arrows in front of me.
    While arrows rain down, I go into melee and use all 3 melee encounter powers.
    Then, retreat a little and use ranged powers until melee powers are ready again.
    I use a stone of allure companion, but maybe a healing companion would be better in some situations.

My main character is a CW but my HR is more fun to play.
    Constantly switching between melee and ranged requires the HR to do more "work" than the CW.
    I am enjoying mod3 so much, that I have no intention to return to dungeon delves with any of my characters, except to farm pirate king to get rough AD. Many PK farming groups will accept one or two HR's, as long as there is one or two CW's. HR's do well in PK, if they remember to put rain of arrows under the arcane singularity.
  • Options
    xcomonlinexcomonline Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mehpvpmeh wrote: »

For an aimed shot to hit 40k the mob is surely heavily debuffed. Single target dps while using an interruptable skill is neither guarranted nor wanted by groups.Also 40k dmg on a 3 sec casting is 17k dps so do not exagerate about things u do not understand.

HR was never wanted (as well as TR & most times GF except for FH/SP kitting) by ANY pve group even though I could normally outdps most Cws with about the same GS as me (14.5k +stone). I ve run 4 dungeons post patch and my damage is actually more than 20% less than what it used to be.

In conlusion right now we cannot :
    a) AoE CC if our lives depened on it cause of lack of powers that do that efficiently except pathetic slowing.
    b) AoE Outdps any of the other dungeon running classes (CW,GWF).
    c) Outheal or even outbuff/outdebuff DC's.
    d) Do mass kitting cause of lack of high aoe damage-threat and lack of better mass CC so scratch the kiter spot (GWF/GF).
    e) Have the highest consistant single target dps output for bosses cause of interuptability of aimed shot and even if that was not the case i highly doubt we could beat the TR's or GWF's but nvm.

So can some1 tell me why on earth a normal sentient being would have us in Party for PvE? Dementia maybe? Shock? Blunt trauma to the head? Or worse because they are our friends and we IMPOSE on them.

I hate this change if it was suposed to be PvP balancing cause ffs this is 2014 ppl. It is not neccessary to nerf a class in PvE for PvP balancing. MMOS exist now for 15+ years so when u create a value holding DB for damage numbers just add a ****ing bollean column and if equals yes (being flagged for PvP) than decrease the number or cell 3(splitshot damage holder) of same record by 25%.. Ofc truth be told if said DB was not formed in this way to begin with then its propably impossible to implement right now.That does not however lessen the failure of the matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I hope the Devs are reading this, its ridiculous. Thinking about quitting the game after just 2 weeks of playing, wont level another class to 60 as i have now a 60 GF back from the release time and now this 60 HR and both are useless.
  • Options
    phrendonphrendon Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My biggest challenge so far was trying to finish the Vault of the Nines mission solo. I died once, up until the Final Boss, and he pummeled me pretty fast. Not sure if this was meant to be soloable or not by the HR. Anyone solo it?
  • Options
    pharoazarpharoazar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Not happy with the new Paragon Path. Haven't quite finished testing it out, but so far... not happy. Adding bad after bad.. I used my 1 respec for it. Now I gotta either stick with it.. or buy a respec.

OTH.. my CW is doing great!
  • Options
    kalspirokalspiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What is everyone talking about? Here is the difference between HR now and HR on Monday. It sometimes takes an extra attack with split shot to kill a group of mobs. Done. Split Shot is still our most useful at will. The rest of our powers are effectively unchanged.

As for IWD, the minimum level of mobs is 61. They got up to 65. Obviously they're going to be tougher to kill. Unless I get seriously mobbed, though, I have not experienced any major trouble killing any of the normal mobs, and that includes low rank heroics.
  • Options
    sonicprod1sonicprod1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    HR became useless when they spec full archery, they now need to go hybrid in order to dps a bit more. They were DPS classes with no real dps ability, no control, nothing but they did hit hard, they now became useless but good in support tho...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I swear the split shot nerf is more than 25%. Seems like the original 45% they were proposing.
    Here is the difference between HR now and HR on Monday. It sometimes takes an extra attack with split shot to kill a group of mobs.

That's fine for PVE and one could easily argue that HR solo was OP. But for PVP it's a big deal if it requires extra hits to kill people.

As for Pathfinder, I finally got to respec today and do some Domination with it. Ambush seems decent. Pathfinder's action too.

With stormstep action nerfed, I see no reason to go with stormwarden.